Tenacity Problem

The way potency and tenacity are implemented in the game currently, tenacity is almost impossible to use. Right now, tenacity has to be 15% over enemy potency to see any use (as that is what is required to pass the base 15% resist rate), and potency for the most part stats naturally higher than tenacity.

If tenacity and potency are equal, there should be a 50% chance to land, 50% chance to resist a debuff. If potency is 35% above tenacity, its 85/15 in favor of potency, if tenacity is 35 above potency its 85/15 in favor of tenacity, 85% chance to resist. That way significantly boosted potency is useful, and significantly boosted tenacity is useful. As is, its just a wash that potency wins by default.

Replies

• Options
    I like the way it's set up.

Say a move has a 50% chance to apply speed down. Then if it succeeds, there's another check it has to pass. There's always a 15% chance it will fail at this point. If tenacity were buffed, the chance could be pretty high. Negative status effects as a whole would become rare. I personally think that if you pass the initial 50% chance, the probability of it applying should be pretty high. And it is. So for my opinion, it is working as it should.
  • Options
    When it's a 50% chance to apply to start with that's fine, but many abilities have an 80-100% chance to apply. You're right, it's a design disconnect to have a chance to apply and then a chance to fail to apply. Either ditch chance to apply (always 80-100% to attempt to apply) and buff tenacity significantly, or ditch potency/tenacity have give abilities proper chance to apply ratings.

I think I prefer boosting all the chance percentages up to the 80-100% range then buffing tenacity to be a viable stat as it doesn't change the way the game runs or destroy mods with the tenacity/potency stats.
  • War
    932 posts Member
    Options
    Tenacity is pretty valuable, so many characters can be shut down by ability blocks, stuns, slows, that if it's a problem for your particular character then you should invest in a tenacity set and tenacity primary on the cross mod. I did that with Vader; when Fives or Phasma would slow him he moved at snails pace and was just destroyed despite his health and defense. Now with the tenacity set and primary with secondaries where I could get them, he resists a lot of those debuffs. Not to say he resists everything but he definitely resists more than half of what gets thrown at him.

Besides potency and tenacity always favors the defense AI anyway, my Palpatine with a potency set, potency cross mod, and his leader ability will still fail to shock ST Han for some reason. And I'm pretty sure people haven't gone and maxed tenacity just to counter Palpatine.
  • medetec
    1571 posts Member
    Options
    @War I suppose it could be AI advantage, although I've never given much credit to that. I've put Aayla above 100 tenacity and seen no noticeable difference in her resist chance against enemies with 70 ish potency (emp lead, 0 additional potency).
  • Options
    medetec wrote: »
    @War I suppose it could be AI advantage, although I've never given much credit to that. I've put Aayla above 100 tenacity and seen no noticeable difference in her resist chance against enemies with 70 ish potency (emp lead, 0 additional potency).

That's because you've only achieved a 30% chance to resist. Coupled with the AI bias (yes it's real), you're not going to see much of a difference.
  • medetec
    1571 posts Member
    Options
    I suppose it could be AI advantage, although I've never given much credit to that. I've put Aayla above 100 tenacity and seen no noticeable difference in her resist chance against enemies with 70 ish potency (emp lead, 0 additional potency).

That's because you've only achieved a 30% chance to resist. Coupled with the AI bias (yes it's real), you're not going to see much of a difference.

And that's the problem I was trying to point out.
  • Options
    If nothing else changes, base tenacity should be increased by 5-10% on all toons. that way, equipped tenacity mods will be able to make a difference and people will start using them on some toons strategically.

Not that the game ain't enjoyable now, but lets face it, no-one uses tenacity sets give or take some exceptions. And with the rise of empire teams, there are so many debuffs around lately.
  • medetec
    1571 posts Member
    Options
    If nothing else changes, base tenacity should be increased by 5-10% on all toons. that way, equipped tenacity mods will be able to make a difference and people will start using them on some toons strategically.

Not that the game ain't enjoyable now, but lets face it, no-one uses tenacity sets give or take some exceptions. And with the rise of empire teams, there are so many debuffs around lately.

That's the issue I'm seeing. I can put a full 3x set of tenacity mods on plus a tenacity cross for +54 tenacity, and see exactly 0 benefit against characters with 0 bonus potency.

I would hope that there was a way to set the mechanics up so that a potency modded character vs a non-tenacity modded character or whatnot gives an overwhelming debuff chance, but also that a tenacity modded character vs a non-potency modded character would give an overwhelming resist chance.

And that a potency modded vs tenacity modded matchup would at least give some benefit for tenacity, not just the base 15%.
  • War
    932 posts Member
    Options

There is no base tenacity in this game, it's all from gear same with potency, that's why 0% potency characters are thing. There is however a 15% base resist chance that can't be overcome now matter how much potency you have. It's why AoE debuffs just don't hit everyone with everything, between five characters it's unlikely someone won't hit that 15% chance.
  • Options
    if there is no base tenacity, and I assume it would be hard to implement in this case, then the set bonus for tenacity needs to be buffed or the 15% calculation needs to change.

but, I should also say that this will cause major headaches to players that will need to change their mods around again, trying to take into account a previously ignored stat:)
  • medetec
    1571 posts Member
    Options
    if there is no base tenacity, and I assume it would be hard to implement in this case, then the set bonus for tenacity needs to be buffed or the 15% calculation needs to change.

but, I should also say that this will cause major headaches to players that will need to change their mods around again, trying to take into account a previously ignored stat:)

You could change base tenacity simply by adjusting the equation. Right now, resist chance is tenacity minus potency. If the equation was resist = (tenacity - potency) + 20 that effectively gives everyone 20 additional "base" tenacity.

• War
    932 posts Member
    Options

You could change base tenacity simply by adjusting the equation. Right now, resist chance is tenacity minus potency. If the equation was resist = (tenacity - potency) + 20 that effectively gives everyone 20 additional "base" tenacity.

20% additional tenacity? you must really think the stat is broken to suggest that. That's a huge margin right there, were talking stacking potency sets and having potency primary on the cross mod just to land a debuff. Not that it would matter because everyone would switch to having tenacity primaries instead of potency so they'd be immune to debuffs. The Empire faction would be destroyed while rebels would continue to dominate since they're thing is damage over debuffs.

You actually mentioned the problem during your equation suggestion; resist = (tenacity - potency). The problem being everyone chooses potency sets and primaries over tenacity. If you tried out switching your potency primary to tenacity and went with a tenacity set bonus, you'd see a difference. My Vader has 70% tenacity because I was tired of Fives and Phasma slowing him down to a snails pace, and it's working.
  • medetec
    1571 posts Member
    Options
    War wrote: »

20% additional tenacity? you must really think the stat is broken to suggest that. That's a huge margin right there, were talking stacking potency sets and having potency primary on the cross mod just to land a debuff. Not that it would matter because everyone would switch to having tenacity primaries instead of potency so they'd be immune to debuffs. The Empire faction would be destroyed while rebels would continue to dominate since they're thing is damage over debuffs.

You actually mentioned the problem during your equation suggestion; resist = (tenacity - potency). The problem being everyone chooses potency sets and primaries over tenacity. If you tried out switching your potency primary to tenacity and went with a tenacity set bonus, you'd see a difference. My Vader has 70% tenacity because I was tired of Fives and Phasma slowing him down to a snails pace, and it's working.

I also mentioned that I stacked full tenacity (3x set plus cross) and it was not at all effective. The problem is that potency is pretty much across the board naturally higher than tenacity, and also tenacity doesnt even kick in any bonus until it is 15 higher than potency... meaning you need to equip 20-30 more tenacity than the enemy has equipped potency to even get 1% increased chance to resist than equipping 0 bonus tenacity.