Arena Ranks, Toon Speeds, Mods, and YOU

CookieCrispp
555 posts Member
edited October 2016
I write this because occasionally I see the same sad conversation. It begins with a player complaining or questioning a character and everyone shouting about metas and mods.

Arenas and metas.
Not everyone on this forums is playing in the top 5, is facing bleeding edge meta teams, or is even level 80. Telling this player that they should be fearing Rex leads or building around Sun Fac does nothing if this player never faces those toons. Similarly, if a player is having trouble against RG, saying that RG isn't relevant doesn't help them at all. Claiming OB dodge leads don't exist really doesn't help a player who still faces 10 such leads every day. It is important to try to respond to the individual situation. If a player had problems with the emp, don't tell them that Wiggs has invalided the emp on your shard, they probably aren't there, or aren't facing the same opponents you are.
A corollary to this is that when a player is discussing arena/toons, please provide relevant background information. Things such as: rough arena rank, player levels, and gear levels are all important.

Mods and character comparison
When comparing two different characters, understand that the only fair comparison involves mods being equal.
An example of this is claims that, say, St Han can outsped Wiggs. With comparable mods, Biggs will always have 27 speed higher, 2 higher if the Han has Ackbar lead and the Wiggs does not, 12 if Lando.
The only way to compare top end characters fairly is assuming that the two players have comparable mods. This means assuming that top end characters have the same speed secondaries, protection primaries, and are of "useful" sets.
A full clone team can eat a meta team if the clones have perfect five star mods compared to a 1 star modded meta team. This is an extreme, but for theorycrafting purposes it is important to understand that for theorycrafting mods need to be assumed to be equal.
Honestly, the best way to look at top end mods is to assume any two characters have: 5.88% O, 47% extra protection, 216% critical hit damage, and 11.75% more defense. After that, besides the second set (hp, D, CC), we should not assume mod speed. This is to ensure that characters can be compared similarly.

TLDR: Not everyone is facing or focused on top end meta arena teams
Compare characters apples to apples by assuming similar mods. There is no point in comparisons if we assume one player has simply better mods.

Edit: formatting.
Post edited by CookieCrispp on

Replies

• Options
    Finally, some one with reason. Good read and could not agree more.
  • Options
    This post is way too level headed and reasonable. What are you doing on the forums? Bring out the ban hammer. If he solves all out squabbles there will be no forum left.
  • Options
    Wonderfully written and good insight, thank you.
  • maraJade789
    289 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Yes no 2 mods are the same and it drives me nuts that the #1 team has all the best mods harpooned from when the 6 star mods were first offered early on. He has the potential to have 240 plus on Emperor and all his other chars are all so heavily modded with insane speed and offense bonusses that we're just not seeing anymore in MK5 moods. Plus he probably buys extra mods from mod shipments.

The unfair advantage he has is justified with his coin invested, but I won't buy mods like that.
    A question I have about new upcoming raid is whether the mods will be good enough to warrant playing, because the gear at T7 is so good and most of our guild needs gear on toons more than anything else.

Plus I love soloing p1 and yes I have Rex, so you know where I'm coming from.

I held #1 for most of August btw, but just on grit and grinding out wins with a few refreshes and tactics. This was before the mightly Emperor blew me away and Biggs Wedge took over.
    How I got #1 today still surprises me.

Although all of these teams are still slightly beatable with a few attempts and mod switching.

And who else switches their mods on arena characters to try and keep in the top 5?
  • Options
    Agreed! Mods give the best advantage over farming characters, I farmed mods exclusively for a very long time, and it has given me quite the advantage in arena. And now it will for the tournament. I'll be able to fully mod 5-6 teams that I can use, that's a HUGE advantage over most.
    I keep my arena team modded perfectly so it will operate on defense the way I would operate it. Outside of that team, I just try to get second teams modded as close to optimal as possible.
  • Forar
    94 posts Member
    Options
    Well said. It's an infuriating aspect of this style of game in particular; the "if it isn't a problem for ME, it isn't a problem at all" mindset that some people espouse.

Context and nuance are important, both from those asking questions, and those providing answers.

I mean, unless ones goal is to troll, then do continue with the "lawl lern2play scrub noob", if so inclined.
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    Options
    Absolutely. When I first came on here looking for help and guidance, a lot of people assumed I was 70 (highest at the time) with full gears and stars. Advice needs to be relative to the individual player.
    Meanwhile, down on the farm....
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    Options
    So biological of us to 'group' people up. We're all different and can play at our own speed. It's nice to have a part of life where there truly is no right or wrong way to perform. Do as you like!

And enjoy the Star Wars.

Did I mention Boba Fett is awesome.
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • Options
    Nicely said CookCrispp. I agree with you.

Everything does not equal everything. Sanity in this game comes about when people differentiate between things. I myself will try to abide by this in my new posts.