How much Protection is Too much Protection?

I'm currently running an Arena team with EP (L), St Han, QGJ, RG and Tarkin (or Phasma, or Rey). My RG has mostly Protection Mods (27k health + 38k protection), but I start to think most of it is actually useless (too much): If at some point he's the only remaining man standing, it doesn't matter if he has only 1k or 45k left of health+protection, I've just lost that battle already.

So I need him to have enough health+prot to sustain one full turn of concentrated fire (when he taunts), plus a bit more. Then I can use other mods, perhaps potency, tenacity, crit avoidance, or even offense?

The same is logic holds for Old Ben (it's completely useless to mod him with health, protection or defense, I'd actually happily subtract any of these from him) and a few other, maybe also St. Han?

So the question is: how much health+protection is just enough (that is, the value of the 4th toon to die + one hit)? 40k? 50k?
☮ Consular ☮ - https://swgoh.gg/u/tiggus/

Replies

• TMK
    700 posts Member
    Options
    Since RG doesn't rely on anything but health and protection, you should keep him as he is. I have him modded with 4x 23.5 Protection and he's standing during the battles like a statue attractive to all the attackers. I can tell that your RG looks “foolish“ compared to mine. You can guess how much HP he has. ;)
  • Options
    Doesn't matter. Wiggs, Lando, and Palpakin will melt through your tanks most likely before you ever have a turn.
  • tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    Options
    Doesn't matter. Wiggs, Lando, and Palpakin will melt through your tanks most likely before you ever have a turn.

Would you like some fries with that salt? :wink:
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • Options
    @TMK Yes I partially did what I'm suggesting there and gave him the +24% tenacity mod instead of more protection. He's now at 70% tenacity, as I'm betting on the fact that I'd rather have him resist that first stun than live longer. I also gave him the +24% Crit Avoidance in a (quite hopeless) move to derail Lando's wreck train. I assume that with all protection, he can reach like 80k (health+prot combined)?

And @JediGhost117 I don't have much of a problem with Palpakins (even way faster than me), and that's exactly what I'm refining for, here: With insanely high tenacity, I hope him to resist the first stun, and perhaps resist shocks. Remember that RG (like Anakin/B2) gains TM when others are hit, meaning that he gets to play a lot against AoEs, if he's not stunned. That gives me that little window of opportunity to stun EP/Lando/Anakin/QGJ just when I need a break, have St Han launch his taunt (and Tarkin offense down the whole lot if I use him), then folks like Anakin and Fives are golden: I keep triggering their counter, they hit St Han, give my team TM, and I can shock them all, or do whatever it takes to regain control.

I'm just not too sure how tenacity works and if boosting it to 80 - 90% is even worth it.
  • Options
    RG should be modded w speed and potency
  • TMK
    700 posts Member
    Options
    Tiggus wrote: »
    @TMK Yes I partially did what I'm suggesting there and gave him the +24% tenacity mod instead of more protection. He's now at 70% tenacity, as I'm betting on the fact that I'd rather have him resist that first stun than live longer. I also gave him the +24% Crit Avoidance in a (quite hopeless) move to derail Lando's wreck train. I assume that with all protection, he can reach like 80k (health+prot combined)?

And @JediGhost117 I don't have much of a problem with Palpakins (even way faster than me), and that's exactly what I'm refining for, here: With insanely high tenacity, I hope him to resist the first stun, and perhaps resist shocks. Remember that RG (like Anakin/B2) gains TM when others are hit, meaning that he gets to play a lot against AoEs, if he's not stunned. That gives me that little window of opportunity to stun EP/Lando/Anakin/QGJ just when I need a break, have St Han launch his taunt (and Tarkin offense down the whole lot if I use him), then folks like Anakin and Fives are golden: I keep triggering their counter, they hit St Han, give my team TM, and I can shock them all, or do whatever it takes to regain control.

I'm just not too sure how tenacity works and if boosting it to 80 - 90% is even worth it.

Hell yes, mine has 86k HP. I enjoy the show whenever I see him auto-taunting while his TM being reduced. While dragging away focus from my main attackers, I have no worries whether Wiggando will kill opposing team. It does all the time basically.
  • Rotor
    473 posts Member
    Options
    You are answering your own question by running double Tanks with RG. You are missing DPS.
  • Tiggus
    766 posts Member
    Options
    Rotor wrote: »
    You are answering your own question by running double Tanks with RG. You are missing DPS.

No I'm not. I have a fully maxed Rey on the bench. I'm badly missing speed though, with +75 being the very max I can give to any one toon (currently EP). I could use more DPS if I could win the speed race, but I'm so far behind that DPS are just cannon fodder.

Here's a perfect example of what I mean:
    Th9W82V.jpg

In this case, Royal Guard (and St Han, R.I.P.) has just the right amount of HP: They didn't let the team down before the end, died on the task and allowed others to finish the job. The other team was Rex (L), EP, Anakin, Rey, St Han, all modded to the teeth and all speed above 200 (212 for Han). My top speed is EP at 197, all others around 160 or less.

My RG is modded for Crit Avoidance, Tenacity and Potency and has 65k HP, apparently enough for this battle. St Han is 55k HP, a bit on the low side.