Next Tourney Info

*NOTE: this is a LONG post. For a shortened TL;DR post, scroll to bottom. However I feel reading the whole thing is the only way to grasp the totality of what I'm proposing.*

Regardless of how you fared in the last tournament...and regardless of how deep your pockets are... I feel that a majority of us can agree that major adjustments can be made to make tournaments more fun AND more functional. At the same time, we should realize that EA/CG is a business and it is unrealistic for us to expect them to come up with brand new content that doesn't place an incentive on spending crystals, aka $$$.

Also, by implementing tournaments, EA/CG was trying to get us to expand our rosters to have an advantage over other players. This of course means sinking resources into more characters and hopefully spending more money on crystals to upgrade these characters. I can totally understand that, and have no problem with it.

Here's my proposal for tournaments to appease BOTH of those prerequisites:

Run the tournament for 3 days every month (i.e. the first three days of each month). Each round in the tournament would be 3 battles. Each player would set 3 squads and, in a similar fashion to the point system implemented in the actual tournament, points would be awarded for victories and remaining characters. For example: 5 points for each win, and an additional point for each remaining character at the end of the battle. (This would make a maximum of 30 points) The person with the most points would win (yes, I have ideas for tiebreaker scenarios: listed at the end of this post).

Mechanics:
Setting a locked field of 64 or 128 people would not be conducive to time constraints. You would need to wait hours for your set opponent to battle and people would be impatient and unable to "re-buy" into the tournament. So here is the MAJOR difference between the tourney we were given and my idea: there would still be divisions based on level (the divisions they implemented were fine), but you would be RANDOMLY paired up against another player. Once you clicked "Enter Tournament" you would set your 3 lineups of unique characters (which could be changed next round), and then you would click "Ready." Once you were matched with an opponent, you'd have 30 minutes to complete your 3 battles (and for your opponent to do the same). You would then have an inbox message showing the final score, denoting who won. If you won, you would move on to the "next round" of the tournament. If you lost, you would have the option of re-entering the tournament by paying 50 crystals (the first entry each day would be free). Perhaps the second "re-buy" could be 100 crystals and increase by 100 crystals each "re-buy" up to 1000 (this would appease some whales where $$$ money is no object, and would also whet the appetites of the devs at EA/CG). For the winner, instead of waiting around for a set opponent, they would have a streak of 1 WIN and, upon hitting the ready button, would be ready to enter the "second round" of their tournament. Perhaps they'd be playing someone with a streak of 0 or a streak of 5; doesn't matter. The maximum streak before the end of day reset would be 7 WINS (to represent a tournament of 128 players). At the end of each streak, rewards would be granted, and they would obviously be exponentially greater with higher numbers.

REWARDS for the tier of level 80+: (note - RC = Reward Character, whomever they deem as the tourney character. Be it Shoretrooper or another pre-determined character)

1 Win Streak: 1 RC Shard, 25k Credits
2 Win Streak: 3 RC Shards, 50k Credits
3 Win Streak: 5 RC Shards, 100k Credits
4 Win Streak: 10 RC Shards, 250k Credits
5 Win Streak: 15 RC Shards, 1 Omega, 500k Credits
6 Win Streak: 20 RC Shards, 2 Omegas, 1 Million Credits
7 Win Streak: 35 RC shards, 3 Omegas, 2 Million Credits

I imagine with all the strong meta teams out there, having a 7 game win streak will be more rare than we think; plus RNG would need to be very kind.

Scenarios:

*Let's say your a f2p player. Perhaps you're willing to commit to 1 refresh each day. That means you'd have your 1 free entry x 3 days, plus your 50 crystal entry each day. So you'd have 6 total entries for a cost of 150 crystals. Let's say in your 6 entries you finish with 3 "1-Win" streaks, 1 "2-Win Streak", 1 "4-Win Streak" and one time you lose your first battle. You'd walk away with 16 shards of RC, which is better than most can say about the last tourney. Plus, f2p players tend to bank on patience as their greatest strength. Maybe it will take 6 months to fully star your character; but you're okay with that because time is on your side.

*Let's say you're a "dolphin," or whatever you want to call it. In my mind this could embody a person that doesn't always spend, but can be convinced to spend if something "worthy" presents itself. It's the last day of month 2 of the tourney, and you're 50 shards shy of 7-starring RC. You know that if you don't get 50 shards, you'll be required to wait another month. Perhaps you'd be willing to sink crystals into the tourney refresh. So you do, and your win streak ends at 5. You're still 35 shards shy, and time is running out. I think this person would pony up for the higher cost refreshes to avoid waiting a month.

*Let's say you're a whale. We all know it's just a matter of time until you get the character at 7 stars. It's inevitable. But we like you because you spend crystals that help keep this game "f2p" and generate the new content that comes out. I imagine a true whale would refresh all the way up to 1000 crystals each day (which equals 5550 crystals, multiplied by 3 days of this would essentially equal a vault, aka $100) This would equal 36 total chances for a streak. The whale would still need to average a win streak of 4 to get the 330 total shards needed to 7 star the RC.

NOTES:

*Perhaps you're already thinking of ways to exploit the system; "A guildie and I could hit READY at the same time and match up against each other. I could have an easy squad in and give them a free win." First, you wouldn't know your opponent before setting your rosters. Second, if this was still somehow exploitable, I'm sure EA/CG could input the code where you are required to fight a unique opponent each round. (i.e. Once you fought someone once, you couldn't fight them again during that month's tournament.

*My idea is open to the idea of both of the following: (1) Once matched, you are still locked into your 3 squads (as is your opponent), but you can select which squad your first team will face, as well as your second, and then your 3rd team would battle the remaining team of your opponent. This would increase the strategy factor IMO. OR (2) The squad you selected first would face their first squad, second would face second, etc. I tend to like option 1 better.

*The streak would carry over from one day to the next (if an active streak was still in progress), but the crystal refresh would reset at the player's midnight/1am reset. Streaks would NOT carry over from the previous month.

*Tiebreaker options: (1) The streak stays the same and both would then face another opponent without any benefit or consequence. It would be as if the battle never happened. (2) Since TECHNICALLY neither team kept the WINNING streak alive, both teams could be reset to 0. Obviously this would be a bit cruel, but they are in the money-making business. One caveat to this could be if both teams have a PERFECT score, their streak would not be reset. (3) You could find some sort of differing factor to determine a winner (i.e. lowest total combined power, who completed all 3 battles in the quickest time, who fared better on the 3rd battle, etc.). I tend to like option 1 the best.

*It would be a great idea to one day in the future implement a best of 5 rounds tournament where 25 total characters are needed. This would mean a different RC. Perhaps this tourney could alternate each month with the best of 3 tourney. Endless possibilities.

I welcome your feedback! Please comment if you think this is a feasible idea; the more buzz it creates, the better chance it could feasibly gain traction and a developer could see. Again, these are just my ideas in trying to create a better tournament format that is conducive to both f2p & p2p, as well as to the developers at EA/CG who are required to generate money in order to continue generating new content.

In case the novel above was too long:

**TL;DR - I'm proposing a tourney style where your opponent is random, it's a best of 3 battles (15 total unique characters). Streak wins incrementally award you better prizes. Should be balanced well for f2p and p2p.

Replies

• This is better than the current format.
  • Cashavelli wrote: »
    This is better than the current format.

Thanks for the feedback. I think the real challenge with any new content in this game is setting it up where the whales can pay and get the character/benefit early, while others pay exponentially less and wait much longer. It's tough to set up but I think the ideas I mentioned could be a good balance. I appreciate the comment!
  • TemperTantrumRen
    407 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    I was half expecting the tournament to work in a similar manner to this and was disappointed to find otherwise. I like your ideas and really hope the devs take notes.
    Post edited by TemperTantrumRen on
    .GG Profile | Got spaces on my ally list.
  • I was half expecting the tournament to work in a similar manner to this and was disappointed to find otherwise. I like your ideas and really hope the devs take notes.
    Darth_Barf wrote: »
    *slow clap*

Well done sir. Well done.

Thanks fellas. I appreciate it!
  • Read the TLDR, got my attention. Read the whole thing. I like the idea
  • ShawOnrub
    3 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    This could work. Something needs to be done.
    Post edited by ShawOnrub on
  • Really thoughtful ideas here. I hope people take the time to read them in full and consider them. Hopefully some of the concepts can be worked into future tournament events.
  • Rads
    15 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    This does sound more thought through than what we got. But CG will try to fix the current system with the least dev time required. Business like you said.

I do not agree that the level brackets worked well in the last one. I was 76 at the time and lucky enough to have a strong arena team. At the top my B team was barely enough to get me a free kill or 2 before loosing. Few guys on my shard turned 80 mid the event thus unlocking G10 for their toons.

It must have been even worse for fresh 80s. I doubt anyone that just turned 80 would have more than 2 usable teams. This would've been the same for anyone that got the the lower end of a bracket just before the event started.
    Post edited by Rads on
  • I agree (with TL;DR).
    Had the same idea.
    The core of this game is to make money, and they make money by getting players to fill their rosters.

A Tournament should be the way to see how well you can handle it.

Bring your maxed toons into play, no refresh (or limited).
    This evens the chances, brings competition
    If you are bad in the tournament, go get more toons.
  • This idea could really go a long way to help level the field. I am not a new 80, but it was definitely tough putting my 38k team up against all 41k's and above. I was able to find some people boosting low level teams and ride their coat tails up in the last tourney, but spent way more crystals than my F2P account would like to admit.

I can only imagine the total number of crystals they received from the old tournament... They got 500-ish from me and I ended up with a 406 finish...

I think this idea would go a long way to making the tournament shards fairer. While some shards had 1st place finishes in the 8k points range, ours was 31k for the winner, with the second place finish a few behind. The teammates boosting was a smaller issue in my mind than the disparity between winning scores on each tournament instance.

Great read, hopefully your suggestion gains traction.
  • i only care about when next tournament come back
  • Simple FIX:
    Remove the Opponent Refresh Button, and lock your opponents stats when you draw them. That would eliminate allot of the collusion. You would have 3 enemies to choose from, so you would have some strategy in selection... If can't beat any of these three, then you do have the option to send a junk team to attack them, to get a new set of opponents. IF you log out and come back in, you would still face the same three.

You might still have players trying to work together especially if you got points for defending. I.E. if you randomly draw an allie, send a junk team to attack them. Or allies could setup junk teams hoping you would draw them.
  • Vice_torn wrote: »
    The above looks like a complete rewrite, and would take months, giving advantage to those that gained in the previous tournament, as they remain the only ones with a shoretrooper. And is still vulnerable to collusion.

Simple FIX to current tournament.

Remove the Opponent Refresh Button, or make it cost 50gems to refresh, and lock your opponents stats when you draw them. That would eliminate allot of the collusion. You would have 3 enemies to choose from, so you would have some strategy in selection... If can't beat any of these three, then you do have the option to send a junk team to attack them, to get a new set of opponents. IF you log out and come back in, you would still face the same three.

You might still have players trying to work together especially if you got points for defending. I.E. if you randomly draw an allie, send a junk team to attack them, they getting points, you spend nothing. Or allies could setup junk teams hoping you would draw them. This could be prevented by locking the defense team and their mods at the start of the tournament. Sadly the only way to prevent collusion on the defense side would be to not give points for defending.