Lost account on android (No Google play login option)

jason32ch
5 posts Member
edited October 2016
Hi, I have an account on my dying HTC M8 phone :/ (running android 4.2.2) that has no google play login option in the setting pages. From what I have gathered from these threads where there are dozens of people experiencing the same problem:

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/3/regarding-lost-accounts
https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/3483/how-to-turn-my-guest-account-into-a-google-play-account
https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/19311/google-play-login-issue-possible-work-around

The lack of google play login option is because of the age setting. Some of us originally picked an age under 18/21/whatever adult age this game considers. This underage choice seems to lock us out of ever linking our accounts to google play, thus making it impossible to take this account onto any other android devices.

From the "Regarding lost accounts" thread (an official sticky thread from this forum: my top link above)
EA_Jesse wrote: »
If You Don’t Have A Sign-In or Sign-Out Option
Please verify this is the case by:
Launching the Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes application
From the Home Screen, select the Settings gear icon in the top left corner
Verify that there are no buttons for Google Play Achievements or Sign out of Google Play
If there are no options for signing in or signing out of Google Play, please contact Customer Support for further assistance.

I can confirm this is my case but I have already read from many threads that contacting Customer Support didn't help them.

From the "google play login issue possible work around" thread, a game dev 'xCapGamex_Motz' posted on March 11
@Tomek - I'm looking into the issue of being able to change your age. Hopefully, I will have an answer for you soon.

This is the last official response for this issue from my hours of searching.

So here are my three main questions:
1) Is there any way that can connect my account back to a google play account? [no Google play login option in the setting]

I have tried adding a new google play account, restore the Google Play app to factory setting + delete cache and restart but all have failed. Given I have never had the option to link my acc to Google play in the first place, I am not surprised that these have failed.

2) Has anybody that suffers such issue have the problem fixed by contacting Customer Support as EA_Jesse recommended to do?

3) Are the developers actively looking into the issue and is a potential fix on the horizon? Or is such fix unlikely to happen in coming months?

I am a big fan of the game and I don't want to lose my account. Any help from fellow players, devs and admins would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Dear space fella's,

Recently I've bought a new android device: the OP3. I had three games running on my former and actual smartphone: MKX, FFBE and swgoh.

MKX saves your progress to WBPlay. FFBE saves your progress to your Facebook account. Everything works perfectly for these two games.

I've installed swgoh on my OP3, which is the only game I spend real money on, and the game NEVER asked me to tie/link swgoh to google play (games). I can't see any "connect to google play or facebook" button either in my setup window. I even leveled up my new noob/local account to lvl 15 think I had to go further to get the opportunity to connect to Google play Games.

Of course, I tried uninstalling both Google Play Games and Swgoh many times, with no success (deleting cache too, haven't dared to clear data of Google play though).

I did not spend hundreds of € and haven't been playing for 11 months to realize EA did not include a simple "CONNECT TO GOOGLE PLAY" button.
    Players are the core of the game. Help me. Please.
    Star Hugs

ps: The first person asking me if I forgot to install Google play before swgoh will get shot by Han.
  • StarHug
    20 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    By the way, I just uninstalled Google play games and Swgoh from my new phone and reinstalled Swgoh WITHOUT Google Play Games, just to check if the game will notice that there is something wrong like "You need google play games to save your data online, please download it".

Guess what? Swogh didn't notice anything. Not a Google problem. Period.
  • I feel your pain, StarHug. Though I am a f2p player, I have devoted so many hours of my time to the game and is so frustrated by the lack of response or assistance.

I have seen from other threads that some fellow players, though with every intention to help, do not understand that the main issue is that the 'google play sign in button' is never offered as an option in our game setting. That's why I set up this thread in hopes of letting other players understand the problem and invite anyone with the same issue to speak up.

As I mentioned, this is an issue known to the devs yet there is no official response regarding this since March. Very disappointing.

As always,Any help from fellow players, devs and admins would be greatly appreciated!
  • Ok, I contacted technical help and they answered me without reading my email with a template:
    I insist, if you are patient enough to read everything, NO HUMAN BEING READ MY EMAIL OR OPENED MY ATTACHED PICTURES

1) (you should know I joined two screenshot to this mail with my player ID and a photo showing that there is no "sign in to google play" into swgoh on my new phone)

Dear EA,

Recently I've bought a new android device: the OP3. I had three games running on my former and actual smartphone: MKX, FFBE and swgoh.

MKX saves your progress to WBPlay. FFBE saves your progress to your Facebook account. Everything works perfectly for these two games.

I've installed swgoh on my OP3, which is the only game I spend real money on, and the game NEVER asked me to tie/link swgoh to google play (games). I can't see any "connect to google play or facebook" button either in my setup window. I even leveled up my new noob/local account to lvl 15 think I had to go further to get the opportunity to connect to Google play Games.

Of course, I tried uninstalling both Google Play Games and Swgoh many times, with no success (deleting cache too, haven't dared to clear data of Google play though).

I did not spend hundreds of € and haven't been playing for 11 months to realize EA did not include a simple "CONNECT TO GOOGLE PLAY" button.

By the way, I just uninstalled Google play games and Swgoh from my new phone and reinstalled Swgoh WITHOUT Google Play Games, just to check if the game will notice that there is something wrong like "You need google play games to save your data online, please download it".

Swogh didn't notice anything. I think it's not a Google problem.

You will find my old player ID on the official SWGOH screenshot and you will see that on my new phone, there is no "connect to google play" button in SWGOG on my new phone.

Players are the core of the game. Please help me (and no, I don't want to live with two phones in my pocket.

Regards,

Star Hugs

2)

Nitin P

Sent:
    Oct 18, 2016 9:38:28 AM

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts Customer Experience. My name is Nitin and I would assist you with your issue today.

I am sorry to hear that your game progress got reset in Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes. As I am also a very big fan of this game, I can feel the disappointment caused due to this issue.

Please note that if your game was linked with Google, the game progress can be restored. And, if your game wasn't linked. I am sorry to inform you, there is nothing can be done to restore the game account.

If you had linked the game, It might also be possible that you mistakenly logged into anonymous account and not into the linked one. So please make sure that you logged-in to the current account.

To log back into the linked account on Google:

- Open the Settings menu in-game by tapping on the Gear icon in the top left of the cantina screen.
    - If you’re logged out, you’ll see a button that says Sign into Google Play.
    - Tap that button and you’ll be asked to confirm that you’re logging out of the current account.
    - Tap Confirm and your game will reload.
    - After the reload, you’ll be asked if you want to Play as Guest or Sign into Google Play.
    - Tap Sign in to Google Play and once you have logged in, your linked game will load.

Should you have any further questions regarding this or any other issues, please do not hesitate to let us know. You can also find answers to common questions on our Help Center at "http://help.ea.com" or ask our community experts by visiting Answer HQ at “http://answers.ea.com".

3)

UNKNOWN

Sent:
    Oct 19, 2016 1:23:02 PM

Subject:
    RE: Thanks for using EA Help. 26260012

Sir, is this a joke?

I sent you two screenshots proving that I had a linked account (QMRWm90ESPSffGXt-g82Yw) on my old phone and that there is no "sign in google play button" on my new phone. Did you read my mail or just used a template to answer?

I hope that someone will actually READ my mail and OPEN my two images files.
    Or at least tell me that EA is aware of the problem and that you will introduce a fixed "sign in google play button" in the game.

Please send this mail to a human being not a machine.

2016-10-18 11:38 GMT+02:00 Customer Experience :
    [https://d2ro3qwxdn69cl.cloudfront.net/assets/common/images/EA_WWCE_Logo.jpg] HELP CENTER

Greetings,

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts Customer Experience. My name is Nitin and I would assist you with your issue today.

I am sorry to hear that your game progress got reset in Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes. As I am also a very big fan of this game, I can feel the disappointment caused due to this issue.

Please note that if your game was linked with Google, the game progress can be restored. And, if your game wasn't linked. I am sorry to inform you, there is nothing can be done to restore the game account.

If you had linked the game, It might also be possible that you mistakenly logged into anonymous account and not into the linked one. So please make sure that you logged-in to the current account.

To log back into the linked account on Google:

- Open the Settings menu in-game by tapping on the Gear icon in the top left of the cantina screen.
    - If you’re logged out, you’ll see a button that says Sign into Google Play.
    - Tap that button and you’ll be asked to confirm that you’re logging out of the current account.
    - Tap Confirm and your game will reload.
    - After the reload, you’ll be asked if you want to Play as Guest or Sign into Google Play.
    - Tap Sign in to Google Play and once you have logged in, your linked game will load.

Should you have any further questions regarding this or any other issues, please do not hesitate to let us know. You can also find answers to common questions on our Help Center at "http://help.ea.com" or ask our community experts by visiting Answer HQ at “http://answers.ea.com".

As always, we strive to provide you with the world's best customer experience for the world's best games. By taking a short survey about your experience with EA, you can help us improve our service to you:

https://eahelp.ea.com/en/survey/csat/a1K4400001uLXRUEA4/

We have closed this case for now . You can reach us at help.ea.com for further assistance

Regards,
    Nitin Pratap S.
    EA Customer Experience

• No one else is missing the connect to Google play Button?
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    @jason32ch did you ever have you game connected to Google play before and can just not connect it on you new phone.?

When not connected to google play account SWGOH uses your device's Android ID to "save" your information for the guest account, at least it did in the past. You can actually set up a second device with the same android id, requires root access to phone, and your progress will be the same on both similar to using Google play login on multiple devices.

If you are trying to get back you game connected to Google play you need to change your Android ID so it registers as a new guest account and make sure to not send a minors age when you get it that point. For rooted phones there are apps that will let you change your Android ID for non-rooted phones you have to do a factory reset of your phone to get a new one.
  • jason32ch
    5 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    thanks for your help, scuba. I will try to see if I could recover my account by rooting another device. :)

Edit:
    @scuba Regarding your second method, if I factory reset my old non-rooted phone, wouldn't that delete all my game data? Or will I be able to recover it afterwards?

Big thank you for your help!!!
  • I understood that you have to do a factory reset on your new phone, not the old one. Am I wrong?
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    jason32ch wrote: »
    thanks for your help, scuba. I will try to see if I could recover my account by rooting another device. :)

Edit:
    @scuba Regarding your second method, if I factory reset my old non-rooted phone, wouldn't that delete all my game data? Or will I be able to recover it afterwards?

Big thank you for your help!!!

It depends if you game data is actually tied to a Google play account or a guest account. I might have been a little confused as to the problem. I thought you we trying to retrieve you game data already attached to a google play account. But you new device would not let you login and had a different game data already.

There are basically 2 scenarios..

Game data not connected to google play
    If your current game data has no login option than correct resetting the phone will wipe the data, however you are kind of stuck because I don't think EA/CG will reset the age of the account so the only way to move data between devices is coping you android ID.

Game Data is connected to Google play
    If you current game data is connected to google play login but you are on a different device where the age for guest account, not you normal game data, was set to a minor age than you can create a new guest account by resetting you phone. I hope this makes sense.
  • StarHug
    20 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Ok guys, problem solved by myself (thanks to Scuba) after two weeks of research.

I did a factory reset of my new phone (by deleting everything, cache, data and refusing the phone to reinstall my old apps).

I installed Google play Games first. Installed Swgoh second. It connected my swogh to my Google account. Then, what happened?

When I received my new smartphone, I installed swgoh first. It linked swogh to my ANDROID ID.
    When I installed Google play games to get my backup, it was too late. No way to retrieve my saved data.

I've learned about ANDROID ID after days of research on the internet. And even if I fixed my problem I'm still disapointed. Why didn't EA offered me this simple solution?

I'm no technician and I figured this out just by searching (and finding scuba's post).
  • Congrats, StarHug! And big thanks to Scuba!
  • Thanks to you guys :)
    Did you solve your issue jason?
  • jason, do you have any updates to your situation? A guildmate of mine has the same issue.