Unkar Plutt's Mystery Box

Whales and F2p are united behind one thing. The ridiculous grind for g9-10 salavage. The raid doesn't drop nearly enough, and the drop rate when farming a piece can be most discouraging. Most of the solutions the forums propose are impractical, serving only the player base and would interrupt the game's economy. So here's my solution:

Add a Unkar Plutt's Mystery box to shipments. It would cost 800 tokens in each shipment area or as I think of it, one daily portion. Plutt will take your tokens and allow you to open his Mystery Salvage box. This box only drops specific salvage with a chance to get 5-15 peices. The salavage is as follows:
Mk7 Biotech Implant Prototype Salvage
Mk5 A/KT Stun Gun Prototype Salvage
Mk6 Chiewab Hypo Syringe Salvage
Mk3 Czerka Stun Cuff Salvage
Mk3 Sienar Holo Projector Salvage

1 mystery box allowed per day. The mystery box has a three day cooldown in each shipment area. So you'd have to buy from arena one day, cantina the next, then gw, then rinse and repeat. It would subsidise the grind, and encourage spending on newer gear.

Replies

• naw.....i'll take my chances with the RNG of the game thanks.
  • APX_919
    2468 posts Member
    Like the idea. +1. I suspect the higher-ups wouldn't go for it sadly stating the grind was WAI.
    "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...mostly"
  • i'm not a higher up though. i'm just in no hurry. i'm fine acquiring gear as the game gives it to me. it's all part of the fun. i've been playing for a good 6 months and i finally received the last of what i needed to gear sidious to gear 9.

i mean if they wanna offer that in game that's fine but i'll either spend my tokens elsewhere or horde them.
  • The point is it would address the gear grind and at the same time give a reason to hoarders to spend their tokens. They'll eventually add new characters to shipments in GW and Cantina, but many have 26.4k tokens saved up in various areas. This would add a permanent feature that simultaneously adresses the gear grind and lack of options for those who have all the characters they need/want from the various shipments. By no means is my proposed plan perfect, but I see it as a fair path forward for all parties. Additions, suggestions, and trolls welcome to discuss.
  • The grind for gear is real. So scarce with many of the above mentioned.
  • some of us and i'm one of them like the grind. for me that's the whole point of this game and what it's all about. take away the grind and id quit playing in a millisecond.

there's a reason i'm not very high in arena. it's the one area i autoplay or just let it go. as long as i get my daily activity of 3 in and that's not dependent on you winning, just completing.

the more grind the better for me.
  • Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    holyjoe wrote: »
    some of us and i'm one of them like the grind. for me that's the whole point of this game and what it's all about. take away the grind and id quit playing in a millisecond.

there's a reason i'm not very high in arena. it's the one area i autoplay or just let it go. as long as i get my daily activity of 3 in and that's not dependent on you winning, just completing.

No one said you would have to buy OP's suggestion. You can still click that sim button and pray for weeks if you want to
  • Like this idea. good for players and good for devs since it would encourage less hoarding

+1
    942-122-371
  • CloneSpikes
    515 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    some of us and i'm one of them like the grind. for me that's the whole point of this game and what it's all about. take away the grind and id quit playing in a millisecond.

You do have a point. If everything could just be bought, it wouldnt have any value (like a 7* vader to some extent).

But today the balance is a little off to say the least. There should at least be some visible progression.

Waking up with 14 stun cuffs and going to bed with 15 stun cuffs doesnt really motivate me. Especially when a need hundreds of them.

Like saving for a house, one dollar per day. It s a thin line between tenacity and just plain silly.

Edit: typos
  • holyjoe wrote: »

I myself enjoy the grind. I've just finished unlocking every f2p character other than Grevious and Tie Fighter Pilot. That was a personal goal I set out for myself and it feels frickin good knowing I did it spending very little. The reason I suggest this is because once we unlock the 9th light/dark sides we will be grinding for higher gear that will possibly have even worse drop rates, but these 5 pieces will remain a headache. So you won't lose your gear grind and my solution would allow for an Optional method of subsidizing old gear to encourage grinding/buying higher tier gear salvage. Win/win
  • holyjoe wrote: »

You do have a point. If everything could just be bought, it wouldnt have any value (like a 7* vader to some extent).

But today the balance is a little off to say the least. There should at least be some visible progression.

Waking up with 14 stun cuffs and going to bed with 15 stun cuffs doesnt really motivate me. Especially when a need hundreds of them.

Like saving for a house, one dollar per day. It s a thin line between tenacity and just plain silly.

Edit: typos

see i don't just focus on one thing at a time. so waking up with 14 stun cuffs and going to bed with 15 stun cuffs in itself wouldn't excite me either. but i would also have geared up this character, maybe starred up that character, got closer to this gear level for this character or gotten more shards for that character. if nothing else i've increased the amount of crystals and credits i have and moved up in my player level.

i've been sitting on sidious at gear 8 for months until last night. i finally got the furnaces i needed. but i need another 50 for anakin and i think another 50 for ren and i do believe furnaces are needed for gear level 10 for sidious. hopefully i will get emperor palpatine before i start working on gear 10 for sidious. but still it's great. always something to do.

• I agree with the OP's point, but an even simpler solution that could be implemented immediately is simply to have all the gear listed appear in either the shard shop or guild shop.

It really is the case now that most people who have been playing a long time (since the raids started) are blocked by the 'farmable' purple gear rather than raid gear.
  • Klocko
    1017 posts Member
    Mullato wrote: »

No one said you would have to buy OP's suggestion. You can still click that sim button and pray for weeks if you want to

This. If they did this, I'd do it. Nobody says you have to if you don't want to.
  • The box could also contain unkar plutt shard(s).
    :D
  • Baze
    182 posts Member
    Moar for p2p :#

lol
  • hopefuly the
    yoda_san wrote: »
    The box could also contain unkar plutt shard(s).
    :D

Hopefully the armless toon (after Chewie got his hands on him)

• Better to focus on grinding gear for only 10-15 characters, I think, and simply focus on obtaining shards the rest of the time.

Not that you won't necessarily obtain additional characters that you'll end up gearing to level 8 or so, but there really isn't currently a need for anything beyond G8 for most characters unless something comes out that makes them more valuable/useful. At that point you can start grinding additional gear for them, and thanks to the fact that you've been focused on getting shards, you'll already have the shards you need, giving you a leg-up on those that have been focused on obtaining gear for characters they don't use.
  • Doesn't seem right to give everyone else a short-cut after those of us who've put in the grind did ours in the same manner.
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • Doesn't seem right to give everyone else a short-cut after those of us who've put in the grind did ours in the same manner.

I agree, right now it would unbalance the top. Say 5-9 months down the road when the whales have their boost and the orcas and dolphins are comfortable. Before SW VIII ;).
    It'd be a good way to get hoarders to dump currencies without adding more characters to various shipment spots
  • I guess I can honestly admit that it makes sense at some point, but it feels too soon to me. We wouldn't want to be that person who cuts in line while in the queue for the concert of the year.
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • I've been playing for close to a year and I'm getting burned out on the **** grind for gear. It's not fun and it sucks not being able to get any better because you need to spend 9 days on each component to level up your toons. I won't buy in-app purchases for a game I'm not enjoying. I've cut my spending on this game back to $0, but used to spend about $30/mo on crystals. Maybe making gear more accessible won't actually harm the economy at all.
  • Thank you Mods for allowing this to be seen for a few days in general before moving it. I hope it's seen by the right people now. :D