Can someone explain to me what is happening here? Potential Speed Bug

7AnimalMother
2053 posts Member
edited October 2016
I filed a bug report relating to speed which was closed by development. I was told that is was not a bug and that "There are multiple helpful player made articles expounding on this, but the simplest answer is when multiple characters reach 100% turn meter at the same time, its random who gets to go first."

I honestly don't understand how this applies to the situation I described, so I am hoping someone can enlighten me.

My standard arena squad is as follows:
Lando (L)
Biggs
Wedge
STH
EP

For the purpose of this discussion I normally run Biggs at 173 base speed + 15 Lando Lead + 45 Wedge Unique = 233 speed. He is the fastest toon on my entire squad.

Another person on my shard (who I have to beat most days for a top 5 spot) runs the following squad:
EP (L)
Biggs
Wedge
STH
B2

His Biggs is 196 base speed + 45 for Wedge Unique = 241 speed. His Biggs is his fastest toon.

When I play this person, I find it useful to go first, therefore I switch two mods on my Biggs altering his base speed to 188 + 45 for Wedge Unique + 15 for Lando Lead = 248 speed.

My Biggs Speed 248 > Opponents Biggs 241.

Yet three out of the last 5 times now, MY OPPONENTS Biggs has gone first.

Keep in mind. This is the first action of the entire encounter. No other toon has gone to be able to manipulate TM.

If anyone can explain how this is NOT a bug and is somehow related to characters reaching 100% TM at the same time, I would be incredibly grateful.

Post edited by 7AnimalMother on

Replies

• Literally the exact same thing is happenning to me with someone in the top 10 in my shard. My Biggs speed is running at 238 which is faster than their 236 but he still goes first. Very annoying because it just flat out doesn't make sense.
  • HaronKhast
    31 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    EDIT: Apparently how speed works was changed a long time ago, and I completely missed that. What I wrote below should no longer be correct. That being said, it certainly doesn't seem to be working as intended, and now I'm utterly confused.

Read This

Essentially, what is happening is it still takes 5 "turns" (in quotes here because obviously at the beginning of the battle, no actual actions are taken until someone gets to 1000/1000 and can use an ability...so in this case, "turn" simply refers to "when turn meter fills for all 10 heroes," which I believe the game just processes and determines immediately & automatically) for your 248 speed Biggs to reach or eclipse 1000/1000 TM, and be able to do something . Unfortunately, it takes your opponents Biggs the same amount of turns, and thus they both reach "ready" status at the same time . At this point, it's an RNG roll for who goes first.

Visualize it like this:

Your Biggs: 248/1000 -> 496/1000 ->744/1000 -> 992/1000 -> 1,240/1000

His Biggs: 241/1000 -> 482/1000 -> 723/1000 -> 964/1000 -> 1,205/1000

Neither Biggs is ready to do anything by the 4th "turn," so everyone takes another...during which, they both become ready to do something at the same time (having both eclipsed 1000/1000 at the same time), and thus the RNG roll is initiated.

If you wanted to guarantee your Biggs went first, you'd need to push up to 250 speed. Then, it would only take 4 "turns" for you to reach 1000/1000, while it would still take his 5. Then there's no RNG...you simply just won the race.

If your sole goal in stacking up to 248 speed is to guarantee your Biggs goes first, you're wasting your time and probably not modding/composing/etc the squad as efficiently as possible. If you lack the ability to get Biggs to 250, you're not going to achieve said goal.

• HaronKhast wrote: »
    Read This

Essentially, what is happening is it still takes 5 "turns" (in quotes here because obviously at the beginning of the battle, no actual actions are taken until someone gets to 1000/1000 and can use an ability...so in this case, "turn" simply refers to "when turn meter fills for all 10 heroes," which I believe the game just processes and determines immediately & automatically) for your 248 speed Biggs to reach or eclipse 1000/1000 TM, and be able to do something . Unfortunately, it takes your opponents Biggs the same amount of turns, and thus they both reach "ready" status at the same time . At this point, it's an RNG roll for who goes first.

Visualize it like this:

Neither Biggs is ready to do anything by the 4th "turn," so everyone takes another...during which, they both become ready to do something at the same time (having both eclipsed 1000/1000 at the same time), and thus the RNG roll is initiated.

If you wanted to guarantee your Biggs went first, you'd need to push up to 250 speed. Then, it would only take 4 "turns" for you to reach 1000/1000, while it would still take his 5. Then there's no RNG...you simply just won the race.

If your sole goal in stacking up to 248 speed is to guarantee your Biggs goes first, you're wasting your time and probably not modding/composing/etc the squad as efficiently as possible. If you lack the ability to get Biggs to 250, you're not going to achieve said goal.
    They changed this back in February, so it no longer works like that.
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    HaronKhast wrote: »
    Read This

Visualize it like this:

They changed this back in February, so it no longer works like that.

What was it changed to? We need a link!
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • gunff
    287 posts Member
    They changed this back in February, so it no longer works like that.[/quote]

Or did they......

• They changed this back in February, so it no longer works like that.

Crap, they did? How the heck did I miss that??? How does it work now?

• More biggs cheese racing
  • They no longer do it in speed tiers. They changed it to eradicate Poe from being super OP. Let me get a link.
  • They no longer do it in speed tiers. They changed it to eradicate Poe from being super OP. Let me get a link.

Exactly. Which is why I cannot see how my scenario is anything BUT a bug!
  • @CG_Kozispoon

Has the way speed worked been reverted to the tiered method as outlined by HaronKhast as opposed to how EAJesse said it works within Dooku_for_days link?
  • Happened again.....
  • Just a short question to rule out obvious other issues: Are you double checking the speed stat of your Biggs each time before battle and after switching mods? I'm just asking to make sure that this bug you have observed is not related to mods (e.g. they are not registered correctly after switching hence the lower speed).
  • Interesting..
  • 7AnimalMother
    2053 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Just a short question to rule out obvious other issues: Are you double checking the speed stat of your Biggs each time before battle and after switching mods? I'm just asking to make sure that this bug you have observed is not related to mods (e.g. they are not registered correctly after switching hence the lower speed).

Yes. Verifying both mine and the opponents speed stats each time.
  • I was thinking how speed is not affected by tiers after all the arenas i've done. Now this confirms it.

Back to topic, my character speed is 220 and I've lost to a 137 STH before with Lando lead. His bluff procs is the only thing I can think of. This happened 2x already today on the same player fight. Really dumb imo lol..