Mod Management MUST Now Be Improved!

Prev13
Palanthian
1262 posts Member
edited October 2016
Love or hate the new AAT raid, one thing is for sure - it requires deep rosters, particularly Heroic.

Each player in a Heroic raid needs around 6 teams to do their fair share (2% overall) of the damage, no individuals can carry the guild as they did with the Rancor.

6 teams of 5 = 30 characters with 6 mods each = 180 mods!

Even if you're fortunate enough to have 30 of the RIGHT characters for a Heroic AAT raid, it's almost guaranteed that you don't have 180 perfect mods that you can kit everyone out with, no changes required. What this means is that virtually everyone is having to move mods around each raid, each phase, maybe even each battle.

Mod management in-game is not fit for this purpose. There's no other way to put it. This has to change, the one thing worse than waiting 2 hours for a gun turret to rotate is unslotting mods individually and then sorting through the mess for the ones you want to re-assign.

Here are some changes that would help. Theses are not "nice to haves", they are REQUIRED if we are to raid like this for the next 6+ months:
  • A button at character level to "unslot all mods"
  • A button at ROSTER level to "unslot all mods"
  • When you click on a character's mod slot, the ability to see ALL mods for that slot, assigned or not, and who they are assigned to if relevant
  • The ability to slot a mod assigned to another character without having to unslot it first, just like slotting any other mod, simply add on the credit cost to make it viable
  • The ability to filter mods by secondaries, i.e. a multiple checkbox dialog to find all mods with "speed" and "critical chance" secondaries

These changes would go a long way to making mod management less painful. But why stop there? Here are some of those "nice to haves" for the icing on the cake:
  • The ability to make the current assignment of mods on a character a "favourite" or "template", so that you could re-slot these with one click in the future
  • The ability to save multiple "favourites", so that you can have multiple builds, i.e. "Raid Rex" with potency and "Arena Rex" with critical damage and chance
  • A "quick assign" button to just assign the best mods available to a character, great for P4 when you're throwing the last dregs of your roster at the AAT or Rancor!

I'm sure there are many other viable suggestions, and some points I've missed, but if the developers could just give this some consideration it would be so rewarding to every player raiding right now. I'm fully aware that there is a website which does this, I use it, but it's not really a mobile game if you need an additional screen with an internet browser, and it doesn't solve the tedious slotting/unslotting problems.

@EA_Jesse, @CG_NotReallyAJedi and @CG_Kozispoon, please consider these essential mod management improvements for an update in the near future.

Replies

• Goldy
    254 posts Member
    Options
    +1,000, well said.
  • Options
    +1
  • Stormy
    951 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'm a big fan of SWGOH.GG modding- however, it does require a lot of work to go back and forth from the game to the website to track and manage fine tuned modding. Your suggestions are great (and written cleanly), I'm just unsure how much can be implemented to the interface. Modding my arena once a day or doing small tweaks is easy, but yes, it's a lot of work retweaking after every raid attack. This is probably another reason why so many have a hard time with the new raid/ not putting in the effort that others do with mod management and relocation.
  • Hobnob
    1097 posts Member
    Options
    It would be nice, I lose my mods half the time after raids, can take hours going back and forth mod by mod.
  • djvita
    1684 posts Member
    Options
    while were at it, reduce the cost to remove a mod
  • Options
    Bump
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    +1

Especially the ability to have a saved set. Maybe 3 saves slots per toon. That quick change alone would be a great tool to add.

Note: being able to see all mods equipped and not would be great. I don't think it's needed to see who they are on, in that page is necessary. That would make things too hard to view. Just indicate it with a different shading like a red hue over top and let the player press it to see who has it, and back up to the previous view after.

The only down side for players, upside for devs is that it will be easy to spend a lot of coins with this implemented.
  • Options
    + 1MM to all of this.

Honestly it's a real hassle to move so many mods around and around and it makes me look less forward to the raids than I'd like.

• Options
    Stormy wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of SWGOH.GG modding- however, it does require a lot of work to go back and forth from the game to the website to track and manage fine tuned modding. Your suggestions are great (and written cleanly), I'm just unsure how much can be implemented to the interface. Modding my arena once a day or doing small tweaks is easy, but yes, it's a lot of work retweaking after every raid attack. This is probably another reason why so many have a hard time with the new raid/ not putting in the effort that others do with mod management and relocation.

I tried it but it's lacking in a couple big areas at no fault of theirs. It's seems they can only access mods that are assigned to the toon and not the inventory. Their suggestion was to go into the game, equip it to a toon, go back and resynch....for every single mod. That's not the worst part.

Once you cycle through your hundreds of mods and add it to their DB, they have a record of it but it's not synch'd so if you sell one, you have to go and manually delete it. So you are basically manually maintaining two DBs as a player. No thanks. It does allow you to see what is currently equipped which the game does not.

So the best solution is to use it to view currently used mods and use the game to filter unused mods.

So if I need a toons square to have more secondary potency, I can use the game to search unused mods and the website to see if I may want to take it from another toon.
  • Bora
    440 posts Member
    Options
    I was just about to post it myself, another great contribution @Palanthian, I totally support it. Perhaps a good addition maybe to be able to select two characters on the same screen and move mods from one to another.
    Res non verba
  • evanbio
    1505 posts Member
    Options
    ANYTHING to make managing mods easier in game will be a huge plus. Yes, there has to be a way of viewing equipped mods as well. I like the idea of having the mods shaded differently to show they are equipped, and then clicking on it to see who has it equipped along with their stats. I'd really love to see text descriptions for the characters too, as keeping up with the Jawas using images only is a pain.
  • Options
    Or simply remove the cost of changing mods for a **** start
  • Options
    Palanthian wrote: »
    Love or hate the new AAT raid, one thing is for sure - it requires deep rosters, particularly Heroic.

Each player in a Heroic raid needs around 6 teams to do their fair share (2% overall) of the damage, no individuals can carry the guild as they did with the Rancor.

6 teams of 5 = 30 characters with 6 mods each = 180 mods!

Even if you're fortunate enough to have 30 of the RIGHT characters for a Heroic AAT raid, it's almost guaranteed that you don't have 180 perfect mods that you can kit everyone out with, no changes required. What this means is that virtually everyone is having to move mods around each raid, each phase, maybe even each battle.

Mod management in-game is not fit for this purpose. There's no other way to put it. This has to change, the one thing worse than waiting 2 hours for a gun turret to rotate is unslotting mods individually and then sorting through the mess for the ones you want to re-assign.

Here are some changes that would help. Theses are not "nice to haves", they are REQUIRED if we are to raid like this for the next 6+ months:
    • A button at character level to "unslot all mods"
    • A button at ROSTER level to "unslot all mods"
    • When you click on a character's mod slot, the ability to see ALL mods for that slot, assigned or not, and who they are assigned to if relevant
    • The ability to slot a mod assigned to another character without having to unslot it first, just like slotting any other mod, simply add on the credit cost to make it viable
    • The ability to filter mods by secondaries, i.e. a multiple checkbox dialog to find all mods with "speed" and "critical chance" secondaries

These changes would go a long way to making mod management less painful. But why stop there? Here are some of those "nice to haves" for the icing on the cake:
    • The ability to make the current assignment of mods on a character a "favourite" or "template", so that you could re-slot these with one click in the future
    • The ability to save multiple "favourites", so that you can have multiple builds, i.e. "Raid Rex" with potency and "Arena Rex" with critical damage and chance
    • A "quick assign" button to just assign the best mods available to a character, great for P4 when you're throwing the last dregs of your roster at the AAT or Rancor!

I'm sure there are many other viable suggestions, and some points I've missed, but if the developers could just give this some consideration it would be so rewarding to every player raiding right now. I'm fully aware that there is a website which does this, I use it, but it's not really a mobile game if you need an additional screen with an internet browser, and it doesn't solve the tedious slotting/unslotting problems.

@EA_Jesse, @CG_NotReallyAJedi and @CG_Kozispoon, please consider these essential mod management improvements for an update in the near future.

• Options
    It would also be nice if they changed the visuals on the mod to show both the primary and secondary skill of the mod. I know through a lot of screens trying to find where I last put that Potency/Potency mod or Health/Critical Damage mod.
  • Options

Yes. Everyone's problem is just a lack of effort. It has nothing to do with the raid itself.

You guys seriously can't hear yourselves at ALL.
  • Options

Yes. Everyone's problem is just a lack of effort. It has nothing to do with the raid itself.

Please, there are plenty of threads for this - please stick to mods. Everyone struggles with mods at one time or another, we all need some changes to make them easier to manage.
  • Haihs
    151 posts Member
    Options
    It should be improved, but we are asking for too much, swgoh page does this, just use a pc
  • Options

Please, there are plenty of threads for this - please stick to mods. Everyone struggles with mods at one time or another, we all need some changes to make them easier to manage.

Plenty of threads for what, commenting on one incredibly obnoxious thing said by one particular ****?

Nope. This is the only place for this particular comment, I'm afraid.
  • Options

And just to clarify: I COMPLETELY agree with your suggestions.

I don't agree with your buddy's insinuation that people who haven't spent hours reshuffling mods each day for this raid have themselves to blame for being lazy.

Seriously, don't pretend you didn't know what I meant. Defend his comment or don't, but don't try to claim some nonexistent high ground.
  • Options
    Haihs wrote: »
    It should be improved, but we are asking for too much, swgoh page does this, just use a pc

How are we asking for too much? Other games manage it, Marvel Future Fight supports multiple ISO-8 sets per character. The ability to view mods assigned to other characters and slot them, how can this not be achieved within the existing UI? 99% of it exists already.

They now have popup dialog boxes for filtering mods, the technology is there, they just need more filters and accompanying database queries.

The SWGOH site you refer to is great, as I mentioned above, but this is a MOBILE game - and it doesn't make slotting/unslotting any easier.
  • Palanthian
    1262 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I don't agree with your buddy's insinuation that people who haven't spent hours reshuffling mods each day for this raid have themselves to blame for being lazy.

Seriously, don't pretend you didn't know what I meant. Defend his comment or don't, but don't try to claim some nonexistent high ground.

Well I'm not going to even try to speak for someone else. My interpretation of the above reflects some players with large rosters who are unwilling to spend time juggling mods and incur the credit costs in order to use their full rosters. I suppose you could call this a "first world problem", but it does exist, and is - I believe - what Stormy was referring to.

Obviously "laziness" is not the issue preventing the majority of players from completing the raid, the biggest issue is the sheer size of the rosters required. I can't say it any other way, it rewards whales - it does, clearly. To some degree, it should - but how much, that's up for debate.

I'm all for having more tiers of the raid so that it's more inclusive, the last thing we need is a game which gets shut down - like Star Wars Uprising did - due to decisions made by the development team.

All that aside, however, I'd love to see some improvements to mod management, which is why I put so much time and thought into this thread. :tongue:
  • Options

Well I'm not going to even try to speak for someone else. My interpretation of the above reflects some players with large rosters who are unwilling to spend time juggling mods and incur the credit costs in order to use their full rosters. I suppose you could call this a "first world problem", but it does exist, and is - I believe - what Stormy was referring to.

Obviously "laziness" is not the issue preventing the majority of players from completing the raid, the biggest issue is the sheer size of the rosters required. I can't say it any other way, it rewards whales - it does, clearly. To some degree, it should - but how much, that's up for debate.

I'm all for having more tiers of the raid so that it's more inclusive, the last thing we need is a game which gets shut down - like Star Wars Uprising did - due to decisions made by the development team.

All that aside, however, I'd love to see some improvements to mod management, which is why I put so much time and thought into this thread. :tongue:

I feel you.

I think another possibility, if it hasn't been mentioned recently (iirc you actually suggested it way back when mods first dropped), would be to allow us to move an entire card of 6 mods off one toon and onto another. Eg in p1 (normal) tenacity actually seems to be potentially worthwhile for the first time. It would be nice if I could just have 5 cards of full tenacity set mods to move at a time from one raid team to the next.

I mean it's not like I'd be using them anywhere else.
  • Palanthian
    1262 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

I feel you.

I think another possibility, if it hasn't been mentioned recently (iirc you actually suggested it way back when mods first dropped), would be to allow us to move an entire card of 6 mods off one toon and onto another. Eg in p1 (normal) tenacity actually seems to be potentially worthwhile for the first time. It would be nice if I could just have 5 cards of full tenacity set mods to move at a time from one raid team to the next.

I mean it's not like I'd be using them anywhere else.

Absolutely, any bulk operations would be a massive step up from micro-managing every single mod.

The thing is, this problem will only get worse. We gain more mods every day, imagine how crazy this will get in 6-12 months time.
  • Options
    Totally agreed. Even just having two "presets" of mods available for a particular character would be sooo helpful. CG could even make it cost a heightened amount of credits and I know I would still use this. TBH, even if it cost say 25 crystals to save a mod set or something, it would be well worth it to save time. As it is, any potency character you want to use in arena and in rancor raid need entirely different mods.
  • Options
    Totally agreed. Even just having two "presets" of mods available for a particular character would be sooo helpful. CG could even make it cost a heightened amount of credits and I know I would still use this. TBH, even if it cost say 25 crystals to save a mod set or something, it would be well worth it to save time. As it is, any potency character you want to use in arena and in rancor raid need entirely different mods.

Exactly, I kept Rex out of the arena for months because I needed him loaded up with potency for the Rancor raid. I expect we'd see a lot more of Rex in the arena if he wasn't modded for potency in many rosters. The same, to a lesser extent, with Fives.
  • Jetlife
    1367 posts Member
    Options
    Great post +1000
    I almost made a post on this.
    Ea can you give us a remove all mod on character button.
    And also a preset of mods that we can create for each individual toon. If they over lap toons those don't have to switch over and it could tell us which ones we need to manually switch characters. Hanks cg!!!!
  • Options

Exactly, I kept Rex out of the arena for months because I needed him loaded up with potency for the Rancor raid. I expect we'd see a lot more of Rex in the arena if he wasn't modded for potency in many rosters. The same, to a lesser extent, with Fives.

Slightly OT: I've used a fast potency Rex in arena with great success, actually. Against most teams with that reliable TMR on basic I can keep one or two toons from ever moving (or in the case of droid teams, moving a second time).
  • Haihs
    151 posts Member
    Options
    Haihs wrote: »

How are we asking for too much? Other games manage it, Marvel Future Fight supports multiple ISO-8 sets per character. The ability to view mods assigned to other characters and slot them, how can this not be achieved within the existing UI? 99% of it exists already.

They now have popup dialog boxes for filtering mods, the technology is there, they just need more filters and accompanying database queries.

The SWGOH site you refer to is great, as I mentioned above, but this is a MOBILE game - and it doesn't make slotting/unslotting any easier.

Is too much to ask, for the devs, dude learn from experience.

They always take too much time to fix stuff, the only thing they didnt take long was the freaking mods, they anounced them and two weeks later pum! The greater game changer, so far.

And still swgoh page will give you more detailed info than ingame.

Somehow they lack of creativity, and usefullness of their content.

but meh, only cuz is SW, most of us are still here.
  • Ava_Kdizzle
    844 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Options

Slightly OT: I've used a fast potency Rex in arena with great success, actually. Against most teams with that reliable TMR on basic I can keep one or two toons from ever moving (or in the case of droid teams, moving a second time).

I've done the same thing as @Palanthian, who is a wise wise person. My Rex is a raid rock star (say that 10 times fast), but he was **** in arena. I've been running droids and having success, but as the rest of the server develops, that's hard to maintain. So now I'm putting Rex and Fives into a new arena team and will just have to suffer through remodding them over and over. And to your point @Okay_Player, my guess is that you have had great success due to your Rex's speed. Sure the minor TMR is nice, but unless your team is more oriented around TMR, the 25% reduction, which you aren't even using until turn 2 or 3, is an afterthought and you could use crit chance sets as a direct replacement for potency sets, or even health to fix how squishy he is.

Letting players have presets for how to mod players, and making them only usable by spending crystals/credits, seems to serve EA/CG purposes by increasing spending on a limited currency while also increasing convenience and game excitement for players. Win win.

As an aside, one nice and perhaps unintended consequence with the new raid is that since TMR doesn't have the same effect and you are looking for bigger damage in less frequent hits, there is less remodding needed between general arena set-ups and new-raid setups. At least, that's how I imagine it as I am toiling away on phase 1 of a t6 raid still. Lol.
  • Options

I've done the same thing as @Palanthian, who is a wise wise person. My Rex is a raid rock star (say that 10 times fast), but he was **** in arena. I've been running droids and having success, but as the rest of the server develops, that's hard to maintain. So now I'm putting Rex and Fives into a new arena team and will just have to suffer through remodding them over and over. And to your point @Okay_Player, my guess is that you have had great success due to your Rex's speed. Sure the minor TMR is nice, but unless your team is more oriented around TMR, the 25% reduction, which you aren't even using until turn 2 or 3, is an afterthought and you could use crit chance sets as a direct replacement for potency sets, or even health to fix how squishy he is.

Letting players have presets for how to mod players, and making them only usable by spending crystals/credits, seems to serve EA/CG purposes by increasing spending on a limited currency while also increasing convenience and game excitement for players. Win win.

The speed helps, but he's never actually the first to go. It's the leader ability that usually seems to be doing it for me.