Bug - Counter-applied debuffs lose a turn of duration

N4T3
13 posts Member
Bug: When a counter-attack applies a debuff, it gets applied before the end of the countered attacker's current turn. That debuff then loses 1 turn of duration immediately upon the end of that attacker's turn.

Ex:
  1. Lumi attacks Dooku
  2. Dooku counters and applies ability block and stun (1-round duration)
  3. Lumi's turn ends and ability block and stun are cleared immediately

Ex2:
  1. Sid attacks Fives
  2. Fives counters and applies slow (2-round duration)
  3. Sid's turn ends and slow persists
  4. ...other turns happen...
  5. Sid attacks again
  6. Sid's 2nd turn ends and slow debuff clears (one round early)

It seems like the problem is the order that events take place, with the reduction of debuff duration taking place after counter-attacks have been settled. I would suggest that buff duration increments remain after counters (since defensive buffs should probably last through any counters), but debuffs should increment before the counter attacks are settled.

Current Order (probably missing some things, but the broad strokes are here):
  1. Heal over Time tick
  2. Damage over Time tick
  3. Attack/Heal Action
  4. Secondary Action (assist attack, follow-up attack...)
  5. Target Reactions (counters, auto-rez...)
  6. Current Buff Duration Counter -1
  7. Current Debuff Duration Counter -1

Suggested Order:
  1. HoT tick
  2. DoT tick
  3. Attack/Heal Action
  4. Secondary Action
  5. Current Debuff Duration Counter -1
  6. Target Reactions
  7. Current Buff Duration Counter -1

The only negative to this would be something like Defense Down being removed before the counter attack hits, but I think that would be a pretty minor loss compared to the full round that gets chopped off of every counter-applied debuff.

This same order-of-events is probably causing the perceived bug with Asajj not receiving/keeping her offense-up buff when she delivers a killing blow (killing blow -> offense up -> buffs/debuffs tick down -> end turn ...leaving a buff-less Asajj). A more robust solution would be to flag buffs that have been applied "this turn" and have them not in the group that loses a stack/counter at the end of the turn. This would most likely be a more complicated solution though.

Replies

• Honestly I think the counter attack applying debuff a is working just fine depending on how you think about it.

It would make characters with counter attack debuffs, like Dooku, borderline OP imho.
  • Characters should work properly. Dooku has low life he is not OP. This is why Dooku's assist is broken!
    Bye Forums.
  • N4T3
    13 posts Member
    Characters should work properly. Dooku has low life he is not OP. This is why Dooku's assist is broken!

Exactly. Characters should work properly... only then can tweaks be made for balance-sake.
  • SinnerWill
    370 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Other than Dooku, the only other characters that can counter-attack with a 1-turn debuff are Aayla Secura (crit-stun) and First Order Stormtrooper (1-round slow), that I can think of.

I'd say the argument to have the mechanic change to benefit counter-attackers with 1-turn debuffs should be made on both of their behalf before it gets made for Dooku (after all, Dooku's debuff can only be applied to Jedi characters), but Aayla does fine as-is (at current max gear). Can't say I've bothered with FOST much, but I guess I could see the lack of having his slow stick from a counter-attack be something that's holding him back.

If they ever get around to making thermal detonators work effectively, I foresee them as probably being the best method to handle the characters that tend to get huge turn-meter boosts (I.E. Dooku, Sideous).
  • N4T3
    13 posts Member
    It isn't just about 1-turn debuffs... any debuffs applied are getting short-changed by a turn. This also includes any Jedi that are buffed by the counter-granting leader ability (Ima?)
  • Randall
    1001 posts Member
    about a month late, although I didnt search if it was already posted when I did...

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/3080/2-status-effects-and-timing-issues#latest
  • SinnerWill
    370 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    N4T3 wrote: »
    It isn't just about 1-turn debuffs... any debuffs applied are getting short-changed by a turn. This also includes any Jedi that are buffed by the counter-granting leader ability (Ima?)

Very true, and yes, buffing as well suffers the duration-loss. One example: Ventress's rampage unique, when she's responsible for a kill, results in no buff.

My point with the 1-round duration debuffs applied via counter-attack is that they have ZERO effect since it drops right off. Whereas a 2-round slow effect from say, a Fives counter-attack still makes a difference (even though it only lasts until the recipient takes their next turn).

There are a FEW exceptions to this, though, and one example is Rey's foresight buff, which lasts for 2 rounds after the round she obtains it (where the description states it's a 2-round duration). So, either the mechanic is working as intended for her (and Kylo's Retribution) or the buff duration is intentionally boosted to 3-rounds, so that it'd remain for the intended 2 rounds of the description. Either way, it appears as though they're aware of the mechanic causing shortages and adjusted the durations or the mechanic for these most-recently added heroes. Still, they should go back and fix the older heroes that suffer from it.

Now, most of the people that are complaining about this are usually referring to Dooku's Hindering Press when he counter-attacks Jedi. Which, honestly, I don't feel he needs to be able to stun-lock multiple Jedi characters almost indefinitely (which would be the result if they altered the mechanic or increased its duration via counter-attacks to compensate), but I think it'd be ok if his ability block were extended for the counter-attack purpose.

As for Aayla, I think she's fine, too. I used to feel that she should have her stuns via crit-counter be extended and not just fall off, but with further gear levels and a crit-boosting leader, she has some incredible crit chance offensively (in addition to calling for assists). Pair that with her stats, and she's actually pretty high-caliber even with the current functionality, so I think she's ok.

As for the FO Stormtrooper, however... 1-round slow... With his speed... Yeah, he needs an extension for it when applied via counter-attacks to make him viable, IMO.