Crit Immunity is going to be terrible for the game

Zooey
1607 posts Member
First off, let's go over how crit chance is calculated:

(Critical Chance) = (Critical Rating)/(Critical Rating Divider) + (Level Difference)*(Level Difference Multiplier) + (Base Critical Chance)

You can check out how this formula was obtained https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/11971/educated-guess-on-swgohs-squad-arena-critical-hit-rate. If you notice, it depends on level difference and not absolute level.

What this means is that as we get more and more gear levels, people will crit at higher and higher chances. Crit chance will never go down. Combined with mods, we're already getting to an average of 40-50% for most arena toons.

Instead of making overarching balance changes and risk alienating the player base, the dev team has started introducing crit immunity as a buff to counter this trend. We've already seen what Shoretrooper can do, and Kenobi is coming.

The problem with crit immunity is that it ruins the effectiveness of dps in general. No matter which dps toon you use, they rely on crits to do significant damage. Whether it's Wiggs, Landakin, Rey/Leia/GS, or droids, every dps option in the game needs to crit to kill.

It's like Rex on steroids.

Yeah, aoe dispels like B2 have/will become important to deal with it but we're again narrowing the viable hero pool by introducing abilities that counter such a wide range of toons.

This isn't an issue of power creep, but power extinction.

Replies

• I don't see the problem A lot of players have been asking for longer battles, where you can follow a strategy not only when building the squad, but also when fighting in the middle of the battle.

Hopefully now we can see arena battles longer than a minute, as good Wiggs and Lando teams (just to mention some of the ones you said) can tear apart the other team just in seconds in squad arena.
  • AsaPhelps wrote: »
    I don't see the problem A lot of players have been asking for longer battles, where you can follow a strategy not only when building the squad, but also when fighting in the middle of the battle.

Hopefully now we can see arena battles longer than a minute, as good Wiggs and Lando teams (just to mention some of the ones you said) can tear apart the other team just in seconds in squad arena.

This^^^
  • Zooey wrote: »
    Yeah, aoe dispels like B2 have/will become important to deal with it but we're again narrowing the viable hero pool by introducing abilities that counter such a wide range of toons.

Or it's an issue of needing more than five viable characters for arena. You'll need to be able to mix and match depending on who you are facing. Or alter strategies. You know how a Wiggs team will likely need to deal with General Kenobi? Take him out first. If he's dead, he can't grant crit immunity to anyone.
  • Lackbar Wiggs and some ridiculous PalpPoetine squads can end battles before they start. It's time for some defense.
  • Zooey wrote: »

Or it's an issue of needing more than five viable characters for arena. You'll need to be able to mix and match depending on who you are facing. Or alter strategies. You know how a Wiggs team will likely need to deal with General Kenobi? Take him out first. If he's dead, he can't grant crit immunity to anyone.

I agree 100% I run Wiggla (Wedge/Biggs/Lando) as a base, but will sub in the back line and change leaders as necessary. Droid team, slap potency on Raid Han and put him in. Team with two tanks, QGJ your up. Need speed, Lando your leading.. need insane speed, AA, jump in the lead spot. It will force you to think and plan, rather than just go blast away.
    Do or Do not.

DarthBarron (Kevin, aka KevWalker)
  • I'm inclined to agree with the OP. There is a 4 star shoretrooper in the top 5 of my shard. He is a pain in the rear. If he gets his crit immunity up there is nothing I can do to compete against his team. My only options is to try to stun him before he gets it off. He has so much health that I can't even kill him quickly with my Wiggs team.

I do see that there is a work around by stunning him so I'm not sure what I think should ultimately happen with him. Maybe crit immunity for just one turn instead of two would be a start.

He is my number one goal to achieve now. I'm not sure how using ally points will affect this goal but we shall see.
  • Two words: offense mods
  • It won't "ruin" the game.
    The meta will shift (e.g. Lando won't be around arena teams any longer), crit chance mods will lose value...
    Other characters will take their place... offense mods might be the future etc...
    Its part of the evolution.
  • Baldwookiee
    73 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Adapt or die.
    Welcome to life.

I think more crit immunity was needed.
    Absolutely everyone was in agreement that dps outweighed defense.
  • Maybe Nightsisters regain some arena viability -- Ventress has a group dispel; Initiate can inflict buff immunity. There will be some shifts in the meta and strategy changes. What crit immunity leads to is more variety.
  • I welcome it. I am tired of squad based on speed and DPS. Now they gonna hit a wall for a change. And players will have to work on more than 5 toons to rule in arenas.
  • Goldy
    254 posts Member
    Zooey wrote: »

I agree 100% I run Wiggla (Wedge/Biggs/Lando) as a base, but will sub in the back line and change leaders as necessary. Droid team, slap potency on Raid Han and put him in. Team with two tanks, QGJ your up. Need speed, Lando your leading.. need insane speed, AA, jump in the lead spot. It will force you to think and plan, rather than just go blast away.

Completely agree with this.
  • Zooey
    1607 posts Member
    Adapt or die.
    Welcome to life.

Yes it does. But this is such a bandaid solution it's insane. You're solving one problem by creating another. Crit avoidance buffs would be cool. Defense leader changes would be nice. But completely eliminating critting is going invalidate 60%+ of the hero pool.
  • LOL the Meta for those who can is EP, for those who can't its Wiggs and you want them to cut out the only sure fire way to stop it.

LOL the `1st in my shard just buys whichever mod he needs and stays in 1st with his Wiggs. If I thought my shoretrooper could get me through the initial nuking I would take him through the roof but he just buys more mods.
  • tRRRey
    2782 posts Member
    Valace2 wrote: »
    LOL the Meta for those who can is EP, for those who can't its Wiggs and you want them to cut out the only sure fire way to stop it.

LOL the `1st in my shard just buys whichever mod he needs and stays in 1st with his Wiggs. If I thought my shoretrooper could get me through the initial nuking I would take him through the roof but he just buys more mods.

You're obviously modding your Shoretrooper wrong then, I use him at 3* and Wiggs is lucky to get rid of all his protection.
    The meta is and always has been Rex lead. Wiggs hasn't changed that, just made it more apparent
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • Shoretrooper is easily negated. B2 slays him. Sun Fac can deal with him. Stuns will work.

I have him maxed and don't run him.
  • But it's good to have the reverse effect on droid teams with B2 on it. I have a whale who brought in a 6* shore trooper for his arena matches. He runs a wiggs team. Using my droid team and B2 I can defeat him in under 2 minutes every time. He's abandoned shoretrooper and is going with Sun Fac instead to try and stretch out the timer.

B2 is glorious and will dispel his taunt or dispel his crit immunity. Then ig88 will ability block him. You can save ST for the last guy you kill ever time when you use a droid team.
    "When the dust settles, the only thing living in this world will be metal."
  • Baldwookiee
    73 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    Zooey wrote: »
    Adapt or die.
    Welcome to life.

Yes it does. But this is such a bandaid solution it's insane. You're solving one problem by creating another. Crit avoidance buffs would be cool. Defense leader changes would be nice. But completely eliminating critting is going invalidate 60%+ of the hero pool.

I disagree, this is a total valid thing to introduce a counter to criticals.
    Sorry, but Lando has been broken since mods came out.
    Super fast DPS teams at this point pretty much rule the meta, minus a few forward thinking balanced defensive teams which are handily punking out all the wiggs/meta followers on their respective shards.

There are how many things are in place for crit immunity/countering right now?
    Shoretrooper(who very few have)
    Ashoka w/ JKA
    Rex (the defacto meta leader and top p2p toon)
    Crit immunity arrows, which completely sacrifice your speed on.

Those aren't enough options. So thats why its led everyone down the path of the dark side to copy teams and let the fastest mods win, thats absolutely toxic for the game and community and takes 0 stragetic thought.

There's very little going on now to claim the sky is falling on criticals.
    If you havn't noticed, most of the major meta changes are in response to the current leading metas.

They want to force balanced teams. That is where the meta is heading.
    No single mechanic or ability is meant to dominate. Teams need to be balanced, specializing in crits, or fast glass cannons or, anything really leads to an overall weaker squad which can and should easily be countered by the corresponding counter balance. As it should be.

• TyloRen
    381 posts Moderator
    Wiggs has been terrible for the game, crit immunity will be awesome. 1 shot kills before you even get to hit a button...yea that's fun. Time for some defense and strategy.
  • Mr_Sausage
    1869 posts Member
    edited October 2016
    I'm looking forward to battles that last more than 30 seconds. If you can buff crit chance and damage why not be able to buff crit immunity? I mean
    Defense is a completely worthless stat. I'm not opposed.
  • Evasion didn't die because they released B2 and Zam with evasion down rebuffs, or because they released accuracy mods. The evasion died when Wedge became free to play, palpatine got released, and when people realized that AOE offense teams were viable and everybody rushed to farm those.
  • Yes, the devs keep releasing more characters and abilities that make previous characters obsolete. Arena is seriously getting out of hand. Remember when everyone complained about QGJ? He can't even hold a candle to some of these newer characters. Even Wiggs will be obsolete at some point, probably soon.
  • Crit immunity works both ways. Get some of your own to counter. Lower damage - ie less crits - means longer battles. Healing might (maybe not) become a thing again.

And a long battle has never been the AI strong suit.
    | ANZGC | Exile |