The Guide to Being the Best Ally

SlyGambit
1246 posts Member
edited January 2016
TL:DR
  • Do use leaders that have skills that will help clear missions or add synergies
  • Do use your stronger characters as your leaders
  • Do use characters as leaders that would help with particular missions
  • Don't use weak characters with no synergies or leadership skills
  • Don't use under-developed characters well below your advertised star/level
  • Don't use characters that everyone else is using (no one likes having to choose from 8 Phasma's)
  • On IOS your allies won't see you if you have toons that they have in their team. If you want them to see you put in characters they more than likely don't use!

The Alliance System of SWGOH
The current ally system in SWGOH requires you to either add allies who have provided you with a code or requires you to share your code and then accept invitations to alliances. In addition upon fighting a person's squad in Squad Arena you are able to automatically invite them to become your ally.

Currently the only benefit of being an ally is that you can utilize the leaders of your ally in certain parts of the game that allow a 6th squad member. That squad member is under full control of you, the user, and also brings his/her/its leadership ability allowing you to exploit dual leadership synergies. The list of battles that allow an ally includes the following:
  • Squad Cantina Battles
  • Dark Side Missions
  • Light Side Missions
  • Bounty Hunter Challenge
  • Training Droid Challenge
  • Ability Mat Challenge

The system was originally described to award both the user of an ally character and the ally who made that character available with 20 ally points rather than the 10 ally points granted when you use an AI generated ally. That original description led to stronger players often allying with weaker players. However the system was never in place and working and eventually the tooltip was changed to indicate that only the user of the loaned toon would receive 20 ally points. This has led to most allies being of similar level.

When other players view your ally request or view you in their list of allies the avatar by your name will be your last Squad Cantina leader. So when making allies it is generally a good idea to have that representative of your level of play.

How to Be a Good Ally
When you borrow a toon it is fairly straightforward. Since there is no reward to your ally when you borrow his/her toon there is no real need to worry about which toon from your allies you select. Pick the one you want the most.

Where being a good ally comes into play is how you set up your characters to enable your allies to pick toons that will help them or allow them to experience different characters. When you participate in any of the listed ally-enabled battles using the battle button (rather than a sim) the leader that you choose will become the toon that your allies can 'borrow' when they battle in the same game mode.

IE. if you run a squad cantina battle and have Luminara as your leader then when your ally is presented with you as an option for their next squad cantina battle they will be able to select Luminara, and only Luminara, as the loaned toon.

So how do you maximize the value of you as an ally? This is the meat of this guide as it is important to think about how everyone else is going to use your toons. Obviously if you are trying to pass a particular mission that is difficult for you then pick the leader that you feel will give you the best chance to complete that mission. However when you are planning on just simming battles and have everything unlocked that you can unlock then try to use leaders who might help other players clear their missions.

This means that if you are grinding squad cantina missions for the Geonosian Soldier using sim tickets take one turn and actually fight the fight with a leader who might be useful elsewhere. Luminara, Bariss, Boba, Daka, etc. all are toons that people want to borrow. Remember that you want to have some of your best developed characters hear.

Remember too that most of your allies are going to be nearly the same level as you. If you are all lower levels then they have the same Chewy, JC, Talia lineup that you have. Try to provide them with something that you received from a Bronzium or Chromium drop or someone that you've focused leveling up. If you're high level expect that they have a good Sid and Luminari and try to provide alternatives that compliment those characters.

Here is a list of recommended characters to have available for loans. Most of these characters provide high health or buff/debuff abilities that specifically assist in completing missions.
  1. Daka for Dark Side Missions
  2. Boba Fett for Dark Side Missions
  3. Old Ben for Light Side Missions
  4. Poggle for Dark Side Missions
  5. Bariss for Light Side Missions
  6. Stormtrooper Han for Light Side Missions
  7. Poe for Light Side Missions
  8. Akbar for Light Side Missions
  9. Assaj for Dark Side Missions
  10. First Order Tie Pilot (because why not let others experience the joy of a 7* FOTP)

For cantina missions it is typically more important to provide a toon with synergy than a toon with specific skills. Providing Boba Fett allows teams with Sid to have a ridiculous amount of critical damage. Providing Bariss with teams with Luminari provides them with an almost unlimited amount of healing.

*Keep in mind that if an ally character is defeated you can still earn a 3rd star so taunting characters who die frequently like Poe are still very useful

Please remember your allies the next time you are simming battles and set your leader to someone who you know they'll pick whenever they need a good ally.

PS. If you have free ally slots and are browsing the forums and see people struggling to complete a mission you completed weeks ago shoot them an ally request. They'll appreciate it.
Post edited by SlyGambit on

Replies

• Good guide, I did some equipment farming earlier and put Ben Solo in lead
  • If you join a guild then you may be able to use allies with heroes who are a much higher level than you. For example if you're from Oceania then you can have access to a max Old Daka.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Please correct me if I'm wrong, but there is a difference in how Allies show up on iOS and Android.

Example:

On iOS, let's say my team is the following:
    Sid(L)
    Lumi
    Dooku
    Daka
    JC

When I go to select an ally, NONE of these characters show up as an option. Now let's say I sub out my Sid for Vader, now all of a sudden I can choose Sid as an ally.

On Andriod, Let's say I used the same team as above:
    Sid(L)
    Lumi
    Dooku
    Daka
    JC

When I go to select an ally, all of these characters show up. When I select one (say I select Lumi), the game will automatically take my Lumi out of my squad.

You can't do this on iOS because these characters don't even show up until you remove them from your squad. The issue is that you can't remove the person from your squad until you do a battle without that character.
  • Please correct me if I'm wrong, but there is a difference in how Allies show up on iOS and Android.

That's interesting. It may just be for some tables and not all. I use IOS and occasional see characters that I have in my party but it does seem like squad cantina battles I don't.

I assume that's a bug but I'll put it in the guide. Thanks.
    If you join a guild then you may be able to use allies with heroes who are a much higher level than you. For example if you're from Oceania then you can have access to a max Old Daka.

There are no in-game advantages to joining a guild. I believe you're trying to promote your guild in this thread by stating that you will be someone's ally if they join your guild and you have a max old Daka. That's a nice feature you're offering but obviously any of your allies would get that benefit regardless of whether or not they were affiliated with your guild.

• I don't understand how allies work. If I want to offer up my old Ben as an Allie how would I do that as opposed to Harris or phasma, ect.?
  • Put old Ben in as the leader in the table you're playing. I.e. Cantina squad battle make Ben your leader and he will be available to your allies when they next play cantina squad battles.

the modes/tables that allow allies are listed in the OP.
  • SlyGambit wrote: »
    Put old Ben in as the leader in the table you're playing. I.e. Cantina squad battle make Ben your leader and he will be available to your allies when they next play cantina squad battles.

the modes/tables that allow allies are listed in the OP.

Are you sure it works that way? I I'm on Android and I think I may have seen several potential heroes from the same ally up for grabs (however it may just be those that never changed their in game name and have a generic one)

I only ask this as Im on Android so I do get to see heroes that are already in my squad but I'd expect to still see more chewies on offer than anything at my level (which isn't the case) and also I see plenty of heroes with no leader ability (I would also find it strange that people would fill a leader slot with a non leader as even of chewie is your best/only leader they would still occupy that slot I'd imagine)
    UK/Euro guild - GrievousGenerals recruiting - lv85+ Discord @Starjumper#8384
  • goobstoob
    171 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    okay so I put poggle as my leader in my last fought dark side mission so my ally can use him. now my ally is messaging me telling me that neither poggle nor my name even show up in his choice possibilities here. am i doing something wrong?
    edit: we are both iOS users if that makes a difference.
  • Make sure he doesn't have Poggle in his lineup (based on his previous fight). If he does he needs to do a fight w/o Poggle and then go back to the fight. That's an IOS bug.

Other than that not all allies are always available. Only a subset. He can go back and forth a few times and the allies available will change a bit but there is no guarantee he'll get you. Force close the game and try again.
  • a ZR2-D2 would be great too!!!!