Training droid Hunt (Keycard Battle) vs Training Droid Shipment Purchase

Hey Gang.
I'm currently up to Level 60 and have rapidly run out of training droids.
I'm wondering what is the best deal for acquiring the biggest bundle of training droids between these 2 options:
1. Training droid Hunt (Keycard Battle)
2. Training droid Shipment Purchase

Below is my analysis, which I thought I'd share....

The training droid shipment purchase the straightforward. I can get 7 x T5 training droids for 60 crystals.

...Or...

I can purchase just over 100 Energy Credits for 50 Crystals, and use them to complete two "training droid hunt" challenges. (Note: of course I can just wait 6 hours for the energy credits to rebuild instead of spending the 50 crystals, but lets assume for this comparison that I will spend the 50 crystals).

My Understanding (based on research) is that the Tier I rewards for the Training droid Hunt (Keycard Battle) are:
6 - 3 star droids;
4 - 4 star droids; and
3 - 5 star droids.

Additionally, based on my research, the "XP" values associated with each of the T1-T5 training droids are as follows:
1 Star (T1) = 30 XP
2 Star (T2) = 150 XP
3 Star (T3) = 750 XP
4 Star (T4) = 1500 XP
5 Star (T5) = 3000 XP

So, If I purchase 7 T5 training droids for 60 crystals, I get 7x3000 XP = 21,000 XP
(which equates to 350 XP per 1 crystal)

On the other hand, if I go the Training droid Hunt (Keycard Battle) route, I could potentially receive:
6*750XP + 4*1500XP + 3*3000XP = 19,500 XP total for each Training droid Hunt (Keycard Battle). Since I would have enough energy for 2 batttles, I could potentially acquire 19,500*2=39,000XP total. (equates to 780XP/crystal)

So, if you're faced with the choice of obtaining additional training droids from either the shipment purchase (for 60 crystals) or the training droid hunt (using 50 crystals to purchase 100+ energy credits), the better deal is the training droid hunt.

Further, even if one elects to pay 100 crystals for purchasing 100+ energy credits, and use the purchased energy to complete two Training droid Hunt Keycard Battles, the cost will be 390/crystal, which is still a better deal than purchasing the 7 xT5 training droids from the Cantina Shipments.

Replies

• I like this analysis, and I have the same thoughts as you! Plus .. you spend less on keycard than shipments!
    "...I think I just blasted it." | Ally Code: 183-341-914 | Member of The New Rebellion | Youtube
  • Plus if you go to bed and wait until you get a full energy refill plus spend 50 crystals on a refresh you can play it 4-5 times. I usually spend 2 lots of 50 crystals plus a full morning refill to do the drop down hunt 7 times.
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Your analysis fail to take in consideration the XP, gear mats, shards, ability mats, cantina Shipments AND TRAINING DROIDS that you could earn if you spent your energy properly in LS/DS or Cantina refills.
  • @Triqui--Very true. My analysis was not intended to cover these points....but I welcome you to chime in an provide such analysis for the benefit of all. :)
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    I normally take at least one day and use energy refresh of 2 50 crystal energy on the train droid battle that is 240 energy and if I do this first it gives me 5 runs thru. The rest "free" energy I use to farm for the day. Yeah definitly cheaper per crystal for key card but as was pointed out you loose gear and shard farming.
  • I always buy the droids from shipments. It's 180 crystals a day, and I use 5-6 refills on energy for shards and gear. So by the time I get to the keycard battle, it would be 200 crystals for 2 shots at the droids. Personally, I would rather have the gear, credits, and xp over the droids. At 70, I might use the key cards more since I won't need the xp, but it depends on how many characters I get leveled and geared up in the process.
  • I believe keycard battles always hand out consistent rewards unlike challenges which is x out of x possible rewards.

I occasionally use keycard battles for credits if I'm in a hurry to star up a toon for which I have enough shards. I usually have enough crystals from arena rewards (always top 5) to run 50-50-100-100 energy refills daily so have more than enough training droids typically.

You do pay a penalty though for not having the energy spent on keycard battles available for farming gear, the XP gained, and other benefits of actually having done the PvE battles (or sims). It's a trade-off you have to keep in mind.
    Ally Code: 945-699-762
  • I think you're leveling to many toons, because I have enough to level Rey to level 62 when I unlock her in the next few days (4 shards needed). You should be farming equipment for your toons at upcoming levels and getting droid as bonus. Farming droids is unsustainable. Farm those keyboard things instead and you still get droids. You need to calculate the number of droids per Crystal from farming the final level normal battles, and factor in all the other stuff you get.
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    @FartBlaster what is wrong with leveling up more characters? To each their own i say. Some actually enjoy messing around with other teams. I personally have stopped caring about the arena do my 5 battles and done that is it.
  • Pilot
    470 posts Member
    What if you spend the 50 crystals on an energy refresh and then use that to farm gear and shards. You'll get a lot of droids that way, plys exp, shards, gear, credits, etc. Once that is complete, do the numbers still favor the event over the shipment purchase?
    "There is no 'try'." - Master Yoda
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    Pilot wrote: »
    What if you spend the 50 crystals on an energy refresh and then use that to farm gear and shards. You'll get a lot of droids that way, plys exp, shards, gear, credits, etc. Once that is complete, do the numbers still favor the event over the shipment purchase?

Not sure about some of higher ones but for mine highest I see as a potential reward is 1 3* training droid for 16 energy. So purely looking at training droids no the best value IMO is the key card battles, again purely training droids but you loose out on shards, gear and xp.

If your only worried about 5 charaters than you will probably never have to worry about running out.
  • scuba wrote: »
    @FartBlaster what is wrong with leveling up more characters? To each their own i say. Some actually enjoy messing around with other teams. I personally have stopped caring about the arena do my 5 battles and done that is it.

It is just an unsustainable way to get stronger. If you farm training droids, then you will need credits to level up. Where do those come from?

I've got 11 characters over level 60, all with purple gear. I've spent less than $20, beat GW, rank top 100, and just cruised through light side level 7. Plus I've got a huge surplus of training droids. I'll be short credits and not droids when I want to level up.
  • Eris_Discordant
    223 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    You would be trading away gear* from missions in order to gain levels from keycards.
    But gear >> levels.

You really only need levels if your character's gear is maxed out at the level cap or your abilities (the ones you need) are level capped.

Other than that, the only legitimate thing I can see would be to do a single keycard event when you get a new character...
    Assuming that you want them leveled and are committing to gearing them.

Very rarely I benefit from some crummy character who is leveled with poor gear by sacrificing them in the Galactic War.

* And the other loot, which is not exciting, but could include Shards.

P.S. I know this is an older thread, but I found it searching for this info, I assume others might as well.
  • Like most things there is a time and a place for key cards, but not often from what I have seen. Depends on what you need... Farming for equipment at high levels is dull as dirt, for those thingies u need 20 of i will wait until i get a few through other means. Shards are obviously a crapshoot. So while I would use my energy mostly for those, there are few times key cards were useful... Mainly the quick levelling of a new character.

I time it though with levelling up. Stay full energy for those last points, level up and with bonus shards can get in 3-4 key card fights in just a few minutes. Nice when impatient and just want some easy results ☺that are completely predictable.

It is just a game, dont want to yell at my phone all day cause I went 0 for 10 on that Rey shard drop
  • You need all the energy you can get when you get 2 pieces of purple gear for every energy refresh.