New tournament ideas

1st - Team variety and roster depht

on the variety of teams and to truly incentivize roster depth, I would like to see specific faction bonus on each tournament.

E.g. November's tournament:
Faction Bonus Ewok's and Nightsisters
Ewoks gain 25% damage bonus and 25% crit Chance
Nightsisters gain 50 base speed and 25% tm on crit.
(this is a mere example, don't judge me on this)

December's Tournament, faction bonus First Order... etc...

People could still use their regular teams (e.g. wiggs, lando, anakin, etc.), on defense and attacking, but there would be a incentive in to building/developing other teams/characters... and we would actually face different teams compositions (right now.. I just see wiggs.. lando.. wiggs... landoanakin.. wiggs).
This, if communicated in advance, like a month before the event would just fuel theorycrafting across the forums and the game..

In fact, this could also serve the purpose of "updating" characters/factions that need it...
If by the end of the tournament the bonus wasn't considered outrageous the said factions/characters could get that bonus added to them.

2nd Prizes- Rewards
Balance rewards across servers and don't have the prizes so concentrated on top.
The prizes shouldn't be so much concentrated on top like only the first person gets a full character?
This wouldn't be awful, if there wasn't any opportunity /money cost and the characters were farmable soon after, as this is not the case, lets try to be more "democratic" on the rewards.
Like the first 20 or 50 get a full characters 50-100 6 star, 100-200 5 star character 200-500 4 star 500 - 750 3 star, 750 downwards get just items/currency

And... balance rewards across servers,
What I mean by this is, if I have 10k points and this would grant me top 50 in a server, then that player should get the rewards for being top 50, although in the server that is in he ins't in the top 50.

As it is right now, its a roulette of where you fall server wise... in some servers I could be number 1 with 5000 points in another one with 5000 points I would be in the top 1000.

3rd Grouping on servers

Grouping of players should be made by shard age, and not whatever its being done right now.
Its unfair to use any kind of currency to refresh, and on a tournament that is meant to use a full roster be grouped by anything else than shard age.

People that have been playing since December have accumulated (rightfully so) much more currency than those of August/September shards although they are all lvl 80+.
So a 60 day window on server age should be more than enough to fill a tournament shard, and let people that play the game since a similar time battle each other.

4th Roster refreshes

Still thinking on this.

Well, these are some ideas I had, let me know what you think, and share your ideas.
See if we can make the next event better, if the devs listen to us.

Replies

• Solid ideas.

The grouping players by age is definitely something that needs to happen. It doesn't make sense for someone that has just reached level 80 to compete against those that joined in December. They have no chance and never will have a chance.

They should get rid of refreshing completely and just give each toon 5 attempts per day. This still promotes deep rosters since the more useful toons you have, the better you will perform.
  • Solid ideas.

The grouping players by age is definitely something that needs to happen. It doesn't make sense for someone that has just reached level 80 to compete against those that joined in December. They have no chance and never will have a chance.

They should get rid of refreshing completely and just give each toon 5 attempts per day. This still promotes deep rosters since the more useful toons you have, the better you will perform.

I tend to agree on the no refreshing policy and just give a set amount of attempts per day/character, but I must confess I'm still pondering on this.

thank you for the input!
  • I want to see

A) A cap on refreshes. This becomes a dull grind very shortly. Lock it at 5 total (1 each point level).

B) Don't restrict battles based on player rank. Let us fight everyone in the tournament, but adjust points based on power. So a 25k power team gives maybe 10% points as a 45k power team. This lets us use our entire roster and try out some teams we are still working on and are currently useless in the tournament once we've climbed the ladder and aren't seeing bottom teams anymore.
  • Why not a galactic war based tournament ? The guy who can defeat tons of squads without healing and choosing the ennemy wins ...
  • Cogito wrote: »
    Why not a galactic war based tournament ? The guy who can defeat tons of squads without healing and choosing the ennemy wins ...

That would demand a global review of the tournament mechanics, lets not be greedy :wink:
    This is intend to build on the existing structure, but just improve the experience of the event.

Cogito ergo sum :smile:
  • Pretty solid ideas and I was thinking much the same. It's absolutely pointless to even participate if you're going to place outside of the top 100. I got 20/50 tokens last time, and outside the top 100, I can, at most, get 25 more shards and still not even unlock Shoretrooper. The rewards are too top-heavy to be worthwhile.

I really like the idea of giving specific squad bonuses to encourage different defensive squads, with that I could see it being fun to have a different bonus for each day of the tournament (and letting us reset our defensive team once per day, at roster refresh). Could be a fun way to add more variety.

• Pretty solid ideas and I was thinking much the same. It's absolutely pointless to even participate if you're going to place outside of the top 100. I got 20/50 tokens last time, and outside the top 100, I can, at most, get 25 more shards and still not even unlock Shoretrooper. The rewards are too top-heavy to be worthwhile.

I really like the idea of giving specific squad bonuses to encourage different defensive squads, with that I could see it being fun to have a different bonus for each day of the tournament (and letting us reset our defensive team once per day, at roster refresh). Could be a fun way to add more variety.

Thank you.

I believe faction bonuses, if they were to announce it in advance - e.g. a month before the event - would be great for discussions on the game, e.g. with Asajj at 150 base speed, for example, who would you want complementing that team.. and could actually promote healthy updates to, otherwise, forgotten characters.
  • Malthael wrote: »
    Cogito wrote: »
    Why not a galactic war based tournament ? The guy who can defeat tons of squads without healing and choosing the ennemy wins ...

That would demand a global review of the tournament mechanics, lets not be greedy :wink:
    This is intend to build on the existing structure, but just improve the experience of the event.

Cogito ergo sum :smile:

You re right ;)
  • I want to see

A) A cap on refreshes. This becomes a dull grind very shortly. Lock it at 5 total (1 each point level).

B) Don't restrict battles based on player rank. Let us fight everyone in the tournament, but adjust points based on power. So a 25k power team gives maybe 10% points as a 45k power team. This lets us use our entire roster and try out some teams we are still working on and are currently useless in the tournament once we've climbed the ladder and aren't seeing bottom teams anymore.

Power ratings should never be used to measure anything. They are fairly meaningless. A Wiggs team generally has way lower power but can still annihilate way higher power-rated teams.
  • evanbio
    1505 posts Member
    Here are my thoughts.

1) NO refresh cost for a character that stayed alive during your battle. The character is immediately available again in your next battle for free, and health/protection/cooldowns are all reset.
    2) Once a character dies, they cannot be used in another battle until you refresh your ROSTER.
    3) And there's the biggest change. Instead of refreshing a single character each time, you have to pay a higher amount to refresh your entire roster. So say my Lando got killed off. I could either pay the refresh cost immediately to get him back, or work through other toons on my roster first and then refresh them. It becomes a battle of depth. Perhaps limit the number of characters you can bring into the tournament. Say you can bring in 30 toons, so 6 teams. You can change which toons you bring in daily.
    4) To keep things interesting, the toons on your Defensive squad CANNOT BE USED on Offense. And then allow for Defensive points to be earned. Again, after reset, you are asked to enter your defensive squad for the day. So if you let Wiggs guard you on Day 1, but wanted to control them on day 2, go for it.

• evanbio wrote: »
    Here are my thoughts.

1) NO refresh cost for a character that stayed alive during your battle. The character is immediately available again in your next battle for free, and health/protection/cooldowns are all reset.
    2) Once a character dies, they cannot be used in another battle until you refresh your ROSTER.
    3) And there's the biggest change. Instead of refreshing a single character each time, you have to pay a higher amount to refresh your entire roster. So say my Lando got killed off. I could either pay the refresh cost immediately to get him back, or work through other toons on my roster first and then refresh them. It becomes a battle of depth. Perhaps limit the number of characters you can bring into the tournament. Say you can bring in 30 toons, so 6 teams. You can change which toons you bring in daily.
    4) To keep things interesting, the toons on your Defensive squad CANNOT BE USED on Offense. And then allow for Defensive points to be earned. Again, after reset, you are asked to enter your defensive squad for the day. So if you let Wiggs guard you on Day 1, but wanted to control them on day 2, go for it.

Very nice input. Really like those ideas, definitely more interesting than now.