Crit avoidance mods worth it?

Just curious how effective they are at avoiding crits if anyone has used them? Thinking a tanky team with crit avoidance arrows and maybe an evasion lead. Ben, Vader, Ani, B2.. something like that. Might be a tough team to kill if RNG is in your favor. Offense always has advantage but just a thought.

Replies

• I'm thinking it would be valuable for Ahsoka.
    "No reward is worth this!" - Han Solo
  • I use crit evasion on my shoretrooper. He seems to be always tanking so it helps his live longer. If I were to use critical avoidance on others, I would believe secondary speed is needed to help mitigate the loss of +30 primary stat. My shoretrooper has a +9. Not great, but not bad either.
  • LordStyling
    1461 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    @Nebulous

have you tried with and without that mod?

or you went straight to it?

EDIT;
    just went to event to see what leaders use on him, and it's truly mixed between crit avoidance, protection and speed
  • In my opinion, the crit avoidance mod is useful in three instances:

1) the character is tanky and exists to soak up damage and so you don't care what they're speed is ex. royal guard, fives
    2) you're able to make up the speed difference with strong speed secondaries on other mods
    3) you pull the rare crit avoidance mod that has a really strong speed secondary

• DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    They would probably be helpful against lando teams
  • DatBoi wrote: »
    They would probably be helpful against lando teams

That was kinda my thinking. So many teams rely on critical hits. I see a lot of people increase crit chance/damage. So I wonder how effective some of these teams would be if they aren't getting critical hits.
  • I have considered switching to a full crit avoidance team for arena, with all the Wiggs and Lando spam.

They're also useful for Ahsoka, assuming you don't have Anakin with her (you should, they're awesome together)
  • I have a +12 speed crit avoidance I was going to use on shoretrooper If make it into the top 100. Either that or use it on RG.
  • I use one on RG.

Somebody looked at the numbers on either this forum or Reddit and it was a more efficient way to limit damage than defense.

That was a while back though, probably before protection was such a big factor, so I wonder if it's better than a protection primary arrow
  • @Nebulous

have you tried with and without that mod?

or you went straight to it?

EDIT;
    just went to event to see what leaders use on him, and it's truly mixed between crit avoidance, protection and speed

Protection is probably the least helpful. He likes health for his frequent heals. His ehp is already super high. I find that crit avoidance with secondary speed mods is better than flat speed.
  • I use one on RG.

Somebody looked at the numbers on either this forum or Reddit and it was a more efficient way to limit damage than defense.

That was a while back though, probably before protection was such a big factor, so I wonder if it's better than a protection primary arrow
    I use it on my RG and my gut tells me 5K additional protection from a protection mod pales in comparison to avoiding critical damage.
  • I have a +12 speed crit avoidance I was going to use on shoretrooper If make it into the top 100. Either that or use it on RG.

12 is great speed. Mine is only 9. So you speed is almost half the primary but you also have the crit avoidance. To me, a great mod for shoretrooper.
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    I use it on Shoretrooper and noone else.

5's...noone attacks him. Mod him for speed, offense and crit.

RG, give him mad speed and a potency cross. Get him 200+. He will dish out so many stuns and slows w/ his tm gain and that speed that his taunt is just a nice side-note.
  • Poxx wrote: »

RG, give him mad speed and a potency cross. Get him 200+. He will dish out so many stuns and slows w/ his tm gain and that speed that his taunt is just a nice side-note.

Rg speed is not a great strategy at all. He is too fast to keep his taunt up. His TM gain more than makes up for speed mods--especially under emp where stun/slow add even more TM. Give him effective hp so he can survive and continue to do his job:soak damage.
  • Nebulous wrote: »
    I have a +12 speed crit avoidance I was going to use on shoretrooper If make it into the top 100. Either that or use it on RG.

12 is great speed. Mine is only 9. So you speed is almost half the primary but you also have the crit avoidance. To me, a great mod for shoretrooper.

I was looking and it was +14 speed was on a critical chance mod though. I think im going to give my whole Empire team 50 crit change already did for Vader, Palpatine, Tarkin.
  • I use it on my Sun Fac and I love it. Used to be more effective before AoEs, had him take flurries from Rey that hit him for less than 8k because of offense down and no crits

Have one on AS as well and seems like it's helping her survive longer and since it's from a crit damage set great with her counters and high crit chance
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Nebulous wrote: »
    Poxx wrote: »

Rg speed is not a great strategy at all. He is too fast to keep his taunt up. His TM gain more than makes up for speed mods--especially under emp where stun/slow add even more TM. Give him effective hp so he can survive and continue to do his job:soak damage.

I dont use him for his taunt. It's nice when it happens. Great distraction. I use him as a high speed stunner that hands out slows and occasionaly taunts. He worx just fine in that regard.
  • TyloRen
    381 posts Moderator
    Crit avoidance is decent on any tank except for Shoretrooper. When going against Wiggs teams, he is facing 3 guaranteed crits right off the bat.

I use one on 5s because he is usually solo at the end of a fight, and if you can't crit on him, he's countering and double tapping like crazy.

I dont use him for his taunt. It's nice when it happens. Great distraction. I use him as a high speed stunner that hands out slows and occasionaly taunts. He worx just fine in that regard.

@Poxx do you run a Phasma lead? That is the only way I see that being effective. If not, what is your team comp if I may ask?
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    My main arena team is:
    Rex (L)
    CS
    5's
    Ani
    B2

Stay top 10 overnite on a Nov. shard.

The team i run RG in is:

EP (L)
    Shore
    Ani
    B2
    RG

It holds top 25, but needs a little mod work and eventually, TFP will take RG's place. EE will take Ani's.

I ran RG all tanked out and i get better results with speed in this comp. Always experimenting.

I agree, I think RG can be used multiple ways.