*~* Galactic Auction House *~*

Prev134
In an effort to add another dynamic to the game, I propose the concept of a Galactic Auction House.

This content would allow many to engage in the game as often as they'd like, without giving those players "grind" advantage over those who can't put as much time into the game. Many will stop playing a game once they feel like they can't put as much time in as others, causing them to fall to far behind. The Auction house concept allows for hours on hours of engaged activity, without any true "progress" complete. This means it's a win-win for those who want to put more time into the game, and for those who can't afford to put as much time in.

The AH (Auction House) would be a place where players could post items such as mods, materials, or gear - with an asking price or bid price on a day long auction. Others could browse the AH, and buy or bid on items they need/want.

Simply put: the concept I'm visioning would be similar to World of Warcraft AH.

Now, I'm not a programmer, and don't pretend to be one. I have no idea what sort of server stress this has, or the level of programming involved to make a functioning platform. Is this possible for a mobile game?

I support the idea, thinking it will add another "game within the game" - increasing activity, and add an engaging element to the game, that won't punish those who can't put as much grind into the game as others.

Please post your thoughts on this concept.

Thanks for reading,
Stormy
Team Instinct

Replies

• RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member
    Not sure if it is possible but I support this idea. Heck give jabba (ea/cg) a cut of the profits from each transaction! It will also allow people the opportunity to get rid of items they have WAY to many of.
    ☮ Consular ☮ American Rebel Rebel Force (Endor) JedhaYavin IV
  • Nice, @Stormy !!!

Great plan and I totally agree with it. @EA_Jesse , @CG_Kozispoon , @CG_JohnSalera

Please take notice!!!!
  • Hobnob
    1097 posts Member
    for real money, crystals, credits, chewbacca shards?
  • Madden mobile has an auction house and it's filled with botters and the game is filled with scammers. EA never solved either of those issues as of yet in madden; unless CG has a genius bar that can solve it I would vote please no!
  • Hobnob wrote: »
    for real money, crystals, credits, chewbacca shards?

Haha- my thought was for "credits" - and sure, EA/CG's "Jabba" could take a cut of the credits
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    As long as there is no buy now option I could see this working. You need to avoid the exploit of cheap items being passed from alt accounts. Maybe make a set timeframe so things can't be bought for at least 2 hours, but they are viewable and people can bid.

This could also be avoided by a minimum price set by devs for each item, so they start at their minimum and bids go up from there.

It would be interesting if they had 2 options or sub sections of the auction house. One with crystal currency and one for coins.
  • Will just encourage scammers...
  • I personally really like the idea but I don't see any chance at it happening. From a business side it doesn't generate any revenue and the cost to implement would be much higher than say the tournament, which largely reused the same components currently in the game. I would be surprised if any mobile game has live in game auctions actually.
  • WoW AH is fail.
    Overpriced items or people running it like stock exchange.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    please no. Sounds cool and fun on paper, but in the end it will all be about the auction house. It will become the most important game within the game. Quick progression in terms of days, but very time consuming each day.

Save water, drink champagne!
  • In guild proper trading would do like no limits on what i could swap for so say 5 purple cuffs for 5 purple stun guns
  • AH destroyed some games that I liked a lot. This game has serious balancing problems that I have hope the devs are working to solve. Or, if they are not, I hope at least they will not create more problems.

AH will drastically affect the grind format of the game and only benefits money spenders. And frankly, they already have enough advantages compared to the gigantic majority of players IMO. Exchanging equipment between guild members is already a big help, that's enough.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    it also devalues everything you've done up till the point an auction house is introduced.
    i can't express how much I disslike this idea. There is only a certain kind of player that really benefits from an auction house, don't get lured into believing you are one of those players because it would be awesome to buy item "x" that takes so gosh darn long to farm, or sell item "y" because you have so many of those and could use some extra credits.

There will also be a "tax" of some sort. only 90% of what the buyer paid will got to the seller or something like that. That will result in LESS credits available for the average player. It's tempting to think that an option to sell stuff for credits actually increases the amount of credits you could spend, i know.
  • I played the EA NHL franchise online and this is going to see the same issues. Everyone who played that game had an alt and funneled all the free gear back to their main by having the main post a horrible player to the auction at an astronomical price. Alt would buy it for said price. You are basically moving gear back and forth using the same million credits. Lots of ways to scam an auction.
    Intergalactic space slugs are recruiting. Pm me if interested in entering the slug life. ~°° ♡
  • I would prefer they brought back the sell option that was there originally... when you sell an item you could also be given an option to receive credits or if you have enough items to sell you could perhaps take payment as a choice for example crystals or ally points (appreciate the last bit is very doubtful as encourages less real money spending)
  • Hmm- some fair points here that show the negatives. Any ideas how to involve an AH, that doesn't allow for the "scam" points you guys are familiar to? Anyway to design a system that is more good than harm? (I don't have a lot of AH experience, so those who do, maybe you can give ideas on how to make it a positive experience)
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Stormy wrote: »
    Hmm- some fair points here that show the negatives. Any ideas how to involve an AH, that doesn't allow for the "scam" points you guys are familiar to? Anyway to design a system that is more good than harm? (I don't have a lot of AH experience, so those who do, maybe you can give ideas on how to make it a positive experience)

What issue are you trying to resolve where an auction house might be the solution?
  • Hydracarbon
    665 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    worst idea ever. the game would get infested with hackers and krackens would only become more powerful.
  • Stormy
    951 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    leef wrote: »
    Hmm- some fair points here that show the negatives. Any ideas how to involve an AH, that doesn't allow for the "scam" points you guys are familiar to? Anyway to design a system that is more good than harm? (I don't have a lot of AH experience, so those who do, maybe you can give ideas on how to make it a positive experience)

What issue are you trying to resolve where an auction house might be the solution?

Good question! I was thinking about how there isn't much for someone who has extra free time to "do" in the game. In other games, you can do something engaging anytime, without cost. Quick example: Clash Royale - at anytime, you can play a match, no cost, and engage in something fun, and slightly different, everytime. It's like a game of Magic the Gathering- even if the cards are the same, every game is slightly different, and choices matter each time. I then wanted to propose an idea similar for SWGOH, but the likely-hood of real time PVP being implemented seemed bleak. So what about a way for more team interaction among guilds? Seemed too far out, and might be too limited still (how much extra engagement time does the exchange offer? exactly.) - So my next thought lead to a sever/game wide trade system, or AH, that could increase activity and add an element of "something you can do anytime, as much as you'd like"
  • If its 'something else to do' I would prefer in guild battles (similar to pvp) where you can try out teams against your guildies
  • AH just gives more advantage to the Richie rich.
    Poor people are already struggling with credit crunch and other issues.

AH will make things lot more worse.
    Many folks I know have already quit or gone super casual thanks to AT&T raid.
  • Can't we just have a gear shop...?

There was one already coded into the game early on - why not just bring that back and let us buy as well as sell....
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

Good question! I was thinking about how there isn't much for someone who has extra free time to "do" in the game. In other games, you can do something engaging anytime, without cost. Quick example: Clash Royale - at anytime, you can play a match, no cost, and engage in something fun, and slightly different, everytime. It's like a game of Magic the Gathering- even if the cards are the same, every game is slightly different, and choices matter each time. I then wanted to propose an idea similar for SWGOH, but the likely-hood of real time PVP being implemented seemed bleak. So what about a way for more team interaction among guilds? Seemed too far out, and might be too limited still (how much extra engagement time does the exchange offer? exactly.) - So my next thought lead to a sever/game wide trade system, or AH, that could increase activity and add an element of "something you can do anytime, as much as you'd like"

what happened to endlessly staring at your roster contemplating wich character you're gonna upgrade next? That's my go-to if i'm bored and opened the game for some reason.
    jokes aside, i don't think an AH in any shape or form will benefit the mayority of the players.
  • Stormy
    951 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Really appreciate all the healthy feedback - even though it's negative, it's a constructive negative, that has helped change my view on the concept. I'm still hopeful that maybe there is a version of this idea that could be a positive experience though.
  • Darth_Azrael
    457 posts Member
    edited November 2016

Stormy, in short, what you want is balancing and new content. And it's the same as I wish and I still hope that it will be done in this game.

Why are games like Magic the Gathering (MTG) so fun and have survived for so many years? The recipe is simple: Novelty and balancing.

Ever notice that there are no invincible decks in the MTG? Ever noticed that in MTG you might be surprised at any time by unexpected combinations of cards you had never thought of? I've seen players win world championships using cards that no one thought had value, but the player has found a way to use it.

This is exactly THAT does not exist in SWGOH. I look at the top 20 of the servers and all players use the same heroes. They do not do this because they are worried about "chase meta forever", they do it because the game is unbalanced and you will be destroyed by the other players if you do not use the same heroes. With this, the variety of the game disappears and it becomes boring. Use a Nightsysters or Resistance composition and see if you can make it to the top 10. It's impossible.

I assure you one thing: AH will only finish burying this game forever.
  • In game economies have ruined every game I have played. Far too much time is spent adjusting it. They are too easy to manipulate, and above all else they require real time processing. Which is not possible here, or we'd have true pvp. My advice, if they want to be an mmo, build one. This is NOT, and will never be, an mmo. And that is fine. Instead of trying to be something they are not, make what you are, the best it can be.

• TommySitt wrote: »
    Reading the above, the concept sounds good on paper, but some believe that there is real risk of exploit. Safeguard against that, and it sounds like a good plan!

First exploit found they'll reverse all transactions. LOL

Bad bad bad idea.... bad.. just bad..
  • We need something that players have more control of other than RNG and amount of crystals spent.

EA/whomever has made this a micro driven game, fully reliant on in-game currency driven by out of game purchases. It works well for control by the money making companies behind the scenes, but for the players it doesn't work so well.

Being able to trade/turn in unnecessary extra components into something useful would be a great option.

It only makes sense that you should be able to build better things out of all the scrap junk we've become overburdened carrying.

Ally Code 299-731-212
  • Saraleb wrote: »
    Will just encourage scammers...
    I love the idea but i dont rly want a screw up like star wars force collection,scammers ripping off newbies
    where is darth jar jar?