SHIPS - is this game getting too big for a mobile device?

Prev13
Boo
4134 posts Member
Unfortunately a poll in regard to whether people want ships or fix existing content was deleted or moved somewhere I do not know where.

However, flowing from that discussion I thought of an important point, which is as follows:

"I just worry what this is going to do regarding the size of the game, intended to be a mobile game. I already struggle to delete content on my phone to make way for new updates to this game. I believe "ships" will be an update large enough that will no longer be able to play this game on my phone.

Therefore only my Tablet at home. this means I will only play in the morning and will miss every log-in opportunity throughout the day and evening - this cuts my login rate down by about 60-70%.

How many other players will this new large update affect this way, in turn how will this affect revenue for the game if a large amount of players are in the same boat as me - reduced log-in hours/times equals reduced spending by players and hence reduced revenue for the game.

I would like to hear what others feel about just how large this game is becoming for a mobile phone game, not to mention, without the existence of ships, there is plenty more stages, events, raids and characters and abilities to release.

Just how big is this game going to get? and will it fit onto an average person's mobile device for what it was intended?

Replies

• Thankfully I have a phone is a large GB's. Also, unfortunately that means more work : (

Seriously though, I feel the same. I had that issue on my old phone and had no intention of upgrading. Only reason I did is because it broke
  • i wish there was a port for the pc, fallout shelter had one
    "I don't search for bugs, they find me and beat me endlessly" - JarDorK
    My views are my own... except when they are wrong... then it's jar jar's fault

Pure F2P at heart
  • If we could swap from iOS to Android I'd be able to get rid of this stupid iPhone and use an Android device with expandable memory.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Lol - I have a company work phone - so I can only delete so many apps to make room for this game! Space is pretty tight right now - my playability will likely cease upon release of ships, sadly.
  • gufu21
    335 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    For myself, I don't think the memory will be an issue. But I do kind of worry about how much extra time an entirely new way to grind is going to take. There's quite a bit of content here already, and in order to keep up in the game, you need to spend a certain amount of time on it everyday; doubtless, ships will add a number of new things to get done each day. I get that for some people that's not a problem at all. But just for me, a job, kids, and wife take most of my time, and the wife already thinks I play too much as it is. Hopefully it won't be too bad and I can just sim my way through most of it.
  • Now what EA should do is stop making these obnoxious mobile games and make more AAA star wars games.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    gufu21 wrote: »
    For myself, I don't think the memory will be an issue. But I do kind of worry about how much extra time an entirely new way to grind is going to take. There's quite a bit of content here already, and in order to keep up in the game, you need to spend a certain amount of time on it everyday; doubtless, ships will add a number of new things to get done each day. I get that for some people that's not a problem at all. But just for me, a job, kids, and wife take most of my time, and the wife already thinks I play too much as it is. Hopefully it won't be too bad and I can just sim my way through most of it.

I hear you there - exactly the same for me!! My wife is **** that I always play first thing in the morning. I want to get most of the daily grind out of the way so my day is productive with work, family, maintaining household, dinner etc etc etc.

She might be the only one happy if I can't continue playing, lol

In all honesty - yes ships (whether I play or not) will certainly add considerable more time each day for players to wade through.

I'd like to trust that the Devs know what they are doing, but given AAT raid was pushed back from August to be released as "perfect" and it is somewhere farthest from, I can't imagine what"ships" will be like. Many more bugs to fix - many more updates and again, more space required on your mobile devices.
  • I have memory space, but I'm really worried about time and grind
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Cashavelli wrote: »
    Now what EA should do is stop making these obnoxious mobile games and make more AAA star wars games.

Maybe they should turn their attention back to Battlefront. I know Rogue One content is coming for that - but more single player missions and hero battles available as per new content would be way better - rather than just new maps for multiplayer.

Same thing happened to Grand Theft Auto V - loved the single player. I tried multiplayer long after it was released and it was impossible. I couldn't complete the first mission of robbing a gas station because someone always came in and shot me. They never released DLC for single player - only ever expanded on the overpopulated (and in my opinion - unplayable) multiplayer - battlefront seems the same to me.
  • I use AndyOS on my PC, but I'd love a straight port through Origin or Steam.
  • I sincerly hope ships are not required to stay competitive in the current part of the game. If so i am going to have to give the game up due to time requirements.
  • The game is starting to take up a serious amount of time... the majority taken up by raids, squad tournaments and arena (due to having to glue yourself to your phone at payout hour).

My favorite parts of the game are GW and the non-tournament events. I'm hoping ships will be similar to that.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    The game is starting to take up a serious amount of time... the majority taken up by raids, squad tournaments and arena (due to having to glue yourself to your phone at payout hour).

My favorite parts of the game are GW and the non-tournament events. I'm hoping ships will be similar to that.

I agree - my favourite parts of the game are GW and LS/DS battles and Cantina - however I am still frustrated by how impossible they have made GW (but that's another topic of discussion in itself) and how long it takes to complete each day.

I like how they have made LS & DS battles more challenging. I am only level 82 (nearly at 83) and have only beaten LS normal stage 9 - I have attempted LS hard, but cannot win. I believe I can when I level up etc - but I know I can do it and gives me something to look forward to - enjoyment down the road, enjoy my teams as they get more powerful.

In comparison to GW difficulty you can go crazy getting x number of teams all maxed out - and its still impossible, lol
  • I don't understand how a Star Wars fans aren't excited about Star Wars space ships. I'm not crazy.
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • I don't understand how a Star Wars fans aren't excited about Star Wars space ships. I'm not crazy.

Ditto.

Also, I disagree on principal. I do not think "phone games" need to be limited anymore. Most Androids allow you to have expandable memory, so physical size isn't an issue. And Apple doesn't sell anything less than 32GB anymore so that shouldn't be an issue either.

And when you consider time spent... well, who among us playing on a phone doesn't have our phone with us 100% of the time? I think we are far past the era of "phone games" being limited to casual only.
  • I think that the game has to many elements taking to much time. .
    Cut GW from 12 to 9 or even 6 battles.
    Also why the 10 minute wait on challanges? Just let me do them.
    Also the arena is dull. Fighting the same people and teams every day!
    I think ships could be good and fresh but some bits need trimmed or cut altogether.

I don't know about others, but for me the idea of ships sounds really fun and interesting. But there's only so much time in the day to spend grinding SWGOH. Ships are said to be required to continue past lvl 85 in the base game, so although I'm only 58 right now there will come a point where I'm forced to spend that extra time if I want to stay competitive. I've just come back from a 10 month hiatus (mid-December to mid-October, started a new account to have arena viability again), and as a newer player I have tons to do just to be viable at 70+. You have to have 5x5* characters in 6-8 different categories (with very few crossovers like Lando) to get mods and do important events, which takes a long time. While I'm totally okay with that because it's the nature of a game like this, adding a whole new layer of time requirements and multi-month grinding is somewhat overwhelming.
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    I swear not long ago ppl were complaining about lack of new content.... can we have a huddle and make up our minds? :D
    May the force be with you. It shall free you.
  • 1.Love the new content

2. Go to setings apps swgoh click clear cache then start the game and allow to update do this every 2 weeks and you will find that the game does not take that much space.I think a 60Mb update just gets overridden by a new 60MB updat but the old 1 is not necessary but still kept

So clear cache on the phone often
  • I am concerned about how much time the grind for ships will add to the excessive grind there already is for toons, gear, and mods. I don't need a job to play, I desire a game to have fun with.
  • Personally, with winter coming here in the northern hemisphere, I like my phone heating up to 150 degrees - keeps my hands warm. I figure when ships drop, I'll be able to cook on the screen as well, so win/win.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Julmay wrote: »
    I am concerned about how much time the grind for ships will add to the excessive grind there already is for toons, gear, and mods. I don't need a job to play, I desire a game to have fun with.

If someone is concerned about the time required to play, may I ask why the question is coming up now, right before new content? Did the person NOT enjoy everything they did up to this point? Playing Devil's advocate here. Let's be real, if this feeling is coming right before new content, let's just admit, we're anxious about 'losing our competitive edge' which is not a very legitimate fear. EVERYONE will be hit with the new content, so all the competitive edges are going to be hit with the same weight. The only difference is in how much we players do compared to our neighbor. I'm not gonna leap ahead as fas as someone who's got more crystals than me, but that's always been reality. Awake from your nightmare! There is no monster!!
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • djvita
    1684 posts Member
    I don't understand how a Star Wars fans aren't excited about Star Wars space ships. I'm not crazy.

ships should be a separate game imo
  • djvita wrote: »
    I don't understand how a Star Wars fans aren't excited about Star Wars space ships. I'm not crazy.

Why? How would that change anything? Still playing Devil's Advocate.
  • RAYRAY
    2761 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    djvita wrote: »

My concern is that grinding ships will be required to compete in the main character part of the game. If Ships can virtually be ignored and the current game can continue as is with new raids, characters, etc. coming at a regular clip, then all will be well. I want to be able to choose to focus on ships to compete, not be forced to.
    ☮ Consular ☮ American Rebel Rebel Force (Endor) JedhaYavin IV
  • Mageduckey
    699 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    djvita wrote: »

Why? How would that change anything? Still playing Devil's Advocate.

Because then it would be optional. Those who only want to mess with characters (or only have time for the original game) could do so. However, it's my understanding (based off reddit discussion from the datamining) that ship-related activities will eventually be required to progress in the base game. This means ships are no longer optional for anyone who wants to stay competitive with their characters.

*my arguments are from a lvl 58 account that realizes it has quite some time before those limitations would impact my competitive capabilities. They also stem from someone who enjoys the game and doesn't really mind having more stuff to do because, honestly, 4 regular refreshes and 2 cantina refreshes a day go by so fast. Having new areas to feel that sense of progress and achievement in is welcome. I just personally don't like the idea that the two are tied together (stronger Ackbar, who I haven't been able to focus on due to needing to 7* IG-88 for droid arena team, is needed to do well with ships, for instance).

RAYRAY wrote: »
    If Ships can virtually be ignored and the current game can continue as is with new raids, characters, etc. coming at a regular clip, then all will be well. I want to be able to choose to focus on ships to compete, not be forced to.

This
  • djvita wrote: »

Naw. It's more fun all in one. Don't get all the hate but it's understandable.

People shouldn't be playing games while they are at work or living their life outside their mobile device anyway. If it's that important buy a better phone that can handle all your ish. God knows you're already wasting money on chromium packs already just to finish your shore trooper.
  • Julmay wrote: »
    I am concerned about how much time the grind for ships will add to the excessive grind there already is for toons, gear, and mods. I don't need a job to play, I desire a game to have fun with.

If someone is concerned about the time required to play, may I ask why the question is coming up now, right before new content? Did the person NOT enjoy everything they did up to this point? Playing Devil's advocate here. Let's be real, if this feeling is coming right before new content, let's just admit, we're anxious about 'losing our competitive edge' which is not a very legitimate fear. EVERYONE will be hit with the new content, so all the competitive edges are going to be hit with the same weight. The only difference is in how much we players do compared to our neighbor. I'm not gonna leap ahead as fas as someone who's got more crystals than me, but that's always been reality. Awake from your nightmare! There is no monster!!

There is no fear of monsters here, just a struggle to try to enjoy the game. I always aim to be good player and that involve putting times into the game . I am just anxious how much time this new ships going to take out of the normal 3-4 hours already spent 'casually' in this game. I got burnt out and quit games in the past when it startex to interfere with real life. AAT already taking a huge chunk of time on top of 3-4 rancor raids, gws etc just to keep up with the top players
  • There's so much whining over a feature that is not out yet... so hilarious to me.
  • I think that the game has to many elements taking to much time. .
    Cut GW from 12 to 9 or even 6 battles.
    Also why the 10 minute wait on challanges? Just let me do them.
    Also the arena is dull. Fighting the same people and teams every day!
    I think ships could be good and fresh but some bits need trimmed or cut altogether.

I personally wouldn't mind them extending it or allowing you to do it a 2nd time. I usually finish all 12 nodes in about 10 minutes.