SHIPS - is this game getting too big for a mobile device?

Replies

• Options
    If we could swap from iOS to Android I'd be able to get rid of this **** iPhone and use an Android device with expandable memory.

You do know that SD expansion ram is Sloooooooow compared to system memory, right? And
  • Options
    I think that the game has to many elements taking to much time. .
    Cut GW from 12 to 9 or even 6 battles.
    Also why the 10 minute wait on challanges? Just let me do them.
    Also the arena is dull. Fighting the same people and teams every day!
    I think ships could be good and fresh but some bits need trimmed or cut altogether.

I personally wouldn't mind them extending it or allowing you to do it a 2nd time. I usually finish all 12 nodes in about 10 minutes.

I'd love it if they extended it. Or heck, just let us do it over again without any rewards or guild activity credit. I play this game for the combat, and you honestly don't get much of that in a day of playing.
  • crzydroid
    7298 posts Moderator
    Options
    I think if you need space on your phone, the solution would be to get rid of the notifications so it can be moved to a memory card. I don't rely on notifications anyway...I already know what times of day my bonus energy comes and when to sign in.
  • SpeedRacer
    1037 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    As said, this game is now designed for big whales, u can't be near competitive being ftp or maybe a small dolphin.

And ships just come to prove this point. U have to upgrade, pilots, crew and the worst part, ships to 7* too.

As always, all we ask is to rework toons, correct bugs and add some nice gameplay. But all they do is more and more pre-craft all over again....

This game is about to became a full time job, where instead of being payed u got to ptw. And here we go, another tons of threads of people complaining when ships is released, just like when mods arrived, because once again, they don't hear the player base :(
  • Options
    SpeedRacer wrote: »
    This game is about to became a full time job, where instead of being payed u got to ptw. And here we go, another tons of threads of people complaining when ships is released, just like when mods arrived, because once again, they don't hear the player base :(

What do you want them to do, not release ships? After they have spent so much time and effort on it? Not going to happen. They hear us, they just aren't going to not release an update just because the player base is upset with it, even though they haven't seen nor played it yet.

F2P - lvl 85 - July Shard - Primary Force Guild Force a Fide Guild - https://swgoh.gg/u/cesium/
  • Options
    Winstar wrote: »
    djvita wrote: »
    I don't understand how a Star Wars fans aren't excited about Star Wars space ships. I'm not crazy.

ships should be a separate game imo

Naw. It's more fun all in one. Don't get all the hate but it's understandable.

People shouldn't be playing games while they are at work or living their life outside their mobile device anyway. If it's that important buy a better phone that can handle all your ish. God knows you're already wasting money on chromium packs already just to finish your shore trooper.

an iphone 6s can handle the game just fine.
    Battery stats show me having 2.5 hours on screen time in SWGOH today.
    I haven bought a chromium in 6 months
    so wrong on all accounts.
    with ships that SOT will be 5 hours.
  • Options
    Fair points back at me. Guess we'll have to wait and see what actually happens. For right now, I'm excited because I love Starships (made lego replicas way back before Star Wars legos was a thing) and I'm happy they will have some sort of interplay with the heroes, which I've enjoyed a lot. If you feel like the game is taking too much time, consider lowering your expectations for how competitive you CAN be vs how much you want to be. This game can be fun to play even if you aren't placing first in Arena daily....but you have to work that out with yourself.
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • Options
    Boo wrote: »
    Unfortunately a poll in regard to whether people want ships or fix existing content was deleted or moved somewhere I do not know where.

However, flowing from that discussion I thought of an important point, which is as follows:

"I just worry what this is going to do regarding the size of the game, intended to be a mobile game. I already struggle to delete content on my phone to make way for new updates to this game. I believe "ships" will be an update large enough that will no longer be able to play this game on my phone.

Therefore only my Tablet at home. this means I will only play in the morning and will miss every log-in opportunity throughout the day and evening - this cuts my login rate down by about 60-70%.

How many other players will this new large update affect this way, in turn how will this affect revenue for the game if a large amount of players are in the same boat as me - reduced log-in hours/times equals reduced spending by players and hence reduced revenue for the game.

I would like to hear what others feel about just how large this game is becoming for a mobile phone game, not to mention, without the existence of ships, there is plenty more stages, events, raids and characters and abilities to release.

Just how big is this game going to get? and will it fit onto an average person's mobile device for what it was intended?

Buy an SD card......
  • Options
    Fair points back at me. Guess we'll have to wait and see what actually happens. For right now, I'm excited because I love Starships (made lego replicas way back before Star Wars legos was a thing) and I'm happy they will have some sort of interplay with the heroes, which I've enjoyed a lot. If you feel like the game is taking too much time, consider lowering your expectations for how competitive you CAN be vs how much you want to be. This game can be fun to play even if you aren't placing first in Arena daily....but you have to work that out with yourself.

Agreed. Sometimes you have to figure what's really important to you (and how important it is). I too am excited, I'm just cautious of how my being f2p will even further affect my competitive edge (while I don't like losing to people just because they spent lots of money, I understand the game needs funding and they aren't getting it from me so oh well). Here's to hoping a month-old shard can integrate ships seamlessly!
  • Options
    I don't understand how a Star Wars fans aren't excited about Star Wars space ships. I'm not crazy.

It may be not excitement but in regards to this discussion the amount of memory and storage needed to expand the game. But you're right the Falcon chasing some TIEs or the Slave chasing the Falcon eventually .. there's plenty of excitement in that
    Han Solo: No time to discuss this as a committee. Princess Leia: I am not a committee!
  • Options
    Mageduckey wrote: »

Agreed. Sometimes you have to figure what's really important to you (and how important it is). I too am excited, I'm just cautious of how my being f2p will even further affect my competitive edge (while I don't like losing to people just because they spent lots of money, I understand the game needs funding and they aren't getting it from me so oh well). Here's to hoping a month-old shard can integrate ships seamlessly!

You're not alone. Seems a lot of people need to remember (like you and me already do) that the other players are our competition more than the game mechanics themselves.
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • Options
    I think ships could be good and fresh but some bits need trimmed or cut altogether.
    This ^
  • Options
    My go-to reply for all things ships. Until a guild is farming heroic AAT, ships shouldn't be anywhere on the guilds priority list.
  • Options
    @danrussoa that is a seriously sweet drum kit.
  • Options
    Yes

• Options
    Wow i never thought of it
  • Options
    @ShaolinPunk
    Julmay wrote: »
    I am concerned about how much time the grind for ships will add to the excessive grind there already is for toons, gear, and mods. I don't need a job to play, I desire a game to have fun with.

If someone is concerned about the time required to play, may I ask why the question is coming up now, right before new content? Did the person NOT enjoy everything they did up to this point? Playing Devil's advocate here. Let's be real, if this feeling is coming right before new content, let's just admit, we're anxious about 'losing our competitive edge' which is not a very legitimate fear. EVERYONE will be hit with the new content, so all the competitive edges are going to be hit with the same weight. The only difference is in how much we players do compared to our neighbor. I'm not gonna leap ahead as fas as someone who's got more crystals than me, but that's always been reality. Awake from your nightmare! There is no monster!!

Basically, this game is already pushing the limit of the time that a "normal" person can spend on it. (One that has a job and/or family and a life!) Adding more things are going to push a lot of people right out. If you want ships and a REAL ships experience (unlike the one this game proposes), then you should play Battlefront. You can actually fly and get in battles in all the iconic ships, Millennium Falcon, Slave One, X-Wing, A-Wing, TIE Fighters, etc... Heck, you can even take control of an AT-AT and AT-ST! It's great!
  • Options

Thanks. I suck, just found some change in the couch cushions and threw that together anat....lol
  • Options

They put time buffers in to prevent exactly that. They don't want people to just log in for 5 mins a day, do all their stuff and be done with it.

They borrow a lot from the psychology of gambling. The longer you stay in the game, the more likely you are to spend money.

They had a job posting a while back, an entire position for someone whose sole job is to get the most money from the player base. So do most other larger companies relying on a F2P model.
  • Options
    gufu21 wrote: »
    For myself, I don't think the memory will be an issue. But I do kind of worry about how much extra time an entirely new way to grind is going to take. There's quite a bit of content here already, and in order to keep up in the game, you need to spend a certain amount of time on it everyday; doubtless, ships will add a number of new things to get done each day. I get that for some people that's not a problem at all. But just for me, a job, kids, and wife take most of my time, and the wife already thinks I play too much as it is. Hopefully it won't be too bad and I can just sim my way through most of it.

Real talk
  • Options
    JarDorK wrote: »
    i wish there was a port for the pc, fallout shelter had one

Or you can just play on a PC. There are many emulators out there where you really don't need a phone to play mobile games anymore

• Olga
    1333 posts Member
    Options
    No it's fine. Hearthstone is too big, they did one update and then it wouldn't even fit on my phone.
  • Nightlores
    1608 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I am looking forward to ships. But.....
    Daily challeges, energy battles, cantina battles, free packs, spend tokens in shops, raid in the moring, raid in the evening, Arena, GW, tournament in the weekend..... and now ships... it's becoming a day job.
  • SpeedRacer
    1037 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Cesium wrote: »
    SpeedRacer wrote: »

What do you want them to do, not release ships? After they have spent so much time and effort on it? Not going to happen. They hear us, they just aren't going to not release an update just because the player base is upset with it, even though they haven't seen nor played it yet.
    No u missunderstand, of course i want ships to be released, was very excited since they anounce it. But when i read the codes, it seems all that pre-craft again.

New content yes, absurd hard grind no.

We all want some fresh gameplay and ships comes to bring another important part of SW world. It's fair and normal that u may have to evolve some things, nonetheless the way they want to introduce this, just another endless grind.

Worries me when i read many guild chats on app and people are concerned, we want to have fun playing, not just spend time upgrading the ships.
    Post edited by SpeedRacer on
  • Options
    gufu21 wrote: »
    For myself, I don't think the memory will be an issue. But I do kind of worry about how much extra time an entirely new way to grind is going to take. There's quite a bit of content here already, and in order to keep up in the game, you need to spend a certain amount of time on it everyday; doubtless, ships will add a number of new things to get done each day. I get that for some people that's not a problem at all. But just for me, a job, kids, and wife take most of my time, and the wife already thinks I play too much as it is. Hopefully it won't be too bad and I can just sim my way through most of it.

+1
  • Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    Options
    My SWGOH only consumes a total of 711.6 MB of space on my iPad, I got lots games that consumes 1.5-3 GB, so this is noware near being big for a mobile game
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection
  • RageoftheTitans
    6 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    People rebel,if they get no content,and people now rebel if they get new content.This game is not even big,not even a Gb,Marvel future fight and Injustice are almost 2 Gb just to name 2.
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    edited November 2016
    Options
    danrussoa wrote: »

Thanks. I suck, just found some change in the couch cushions and threw that together anat....lol

You have a pretty sweet couch then...haha. Can I come over?!?!?

JPBrunel wrote: »

Basically, this game is already pushing the limit of the time that a "normal" person can spend on it. (One that has a job and/or family and a life!) Adding more things are going to push a lot of people right out. If you want ships and a REAL ships experience (unlike the one this game proposes), then you should play Battlefront. You can actually fly and get in battles in all the iconic ships, Millennium Falcon, Slave One, X-Wing, A-Wing, TIE Fighters, etc... Heck, you can even take control of an AT-AT and AT-ST! It's great!
    @JPBrunel
    I have played! And it is super awesome. I'm a huge fan of the old X-wing vs Tie Fighter and Rogue Squadron series. My friend owns it and had me over soon after he got it and I showed him how to hit the deck in an X-wing WITHOUT hitting anything. So much fun. I need to save up for a next gen system still. GoH, I still figure is going to be more like it is currently, squad-building and RPG-style combat, just speculating, but I'm seriously cool with whatever. I've tried some flight sims on my phone and the screen and controls just don't work out for me. Preference will rule the day for us on this one. I just can't get enough ships, so I'm stoked for whatever shape it takes.

Do you play the Fantasy Flight minis? X-wing and/or Armada? Super awesome games if you can find other pilots to fly with haha.
  • RJ__Brando
    1500 posts Moderator
    Options
    @ShaolinPunk don't fall for @danrussoa 's charm. Next he'll be inviting you to his basement for ice-cream.
  • Options
    Haha, there's something to be said for caution. However, I'm not a fearful person, I just make friends and we play games and music. It's awesome.