Ally point Tournament repetitive and boring

Prev1
Another battle of who has the most ally points. This is an improvement over who has the biggest crystal vault, but it is still repetitive and boring. It's just a big pvAI spree.
How about the devs set a common enemy, and then everyone competes against the same opponent to see who has the best setup. It could be a cumulative enemy at certain levels/phases like the Rancor or the AAT tank. and the players points would add up until the end of the tournament. Then everything is level, and it is left to us to figure the best strategies to advance in the tourney.

Replies

• Gaidal_Cain
    1640 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Possible tweaks that I believe would address both the repetitiveness and relatively limitless grind.

1. Defensive squads can be set once per refresh.
    2. Battles won on defense will award points = to 10% of the potential reward for the attacking team.
    3. A maximum of 10 refreshes for each toon
    4. A toon only NEEDS to be refreshed if it is actually defeated in battle (otherwise the toon can be refreshed at players' discretion to refresh the toon's HP/protection and/or cooldowns.
    5. For no. 2 listed above to work, it require offensive points and defensive points to be listed separately on the arena Matches screen. Total points will be displayed in the rankings summary like normal.
    6. No. 1 listed above will allow players' to determine how effective their squad is and will allow for 2 adjustments for the length of the tournament. If a squad is too tough, it will not be attacked and earn no points. If it is too easy, it will also earn no points.

Edit: added 5. and 6.
  • Giving points for defense opens the tournament up to collusion. See someone from your guild, attack with your five weakest characters, get beat badly, give points to your friend.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • NicWester wrote: »
    Giving points for defense opens the tournament up to collusion. See someone from your guild, attack with your five weakest characters, get beat badly, give points to your friend.

If they X'd out player names then they could give points for defense and not have to worry about collusion
  • Another battle of who has the most ally points. This is an improvement over who has the biggest crystal vault, but it is still repetitive and boring. It's just a big pvAI spree.
    How about the devs set a common enemy, and then everyone competes against the same opponent to see who has the best setup. It could be a cumulative enemy at certain levels/phases like the Rancor or the AAT tank. and the players points would add up until the end of the tournament. Then everything is level, and it is left to us to figure the best strategies to advance in the tourney.

If they did this then you'd likely be complaining that this format caters to the whales. Whatever EA comes up with there will always be people like you complaining. You think the tournament is boring? Good. Don't participate.
  • What about this game isnt repetitive lol... and in a sense gets boring. We battle perty much same arena guys, perty much same galactic war, then farm the same cantina nodes forever, grind the same gear on the same normal battles, then raid the same way in the pit and AAT. Lol. Is all repetitive and bori g but we build rewards up so we can try and do better harder stuff to move away from our current boring trend lol.... same cycle... but its star wars so we love it lol
    Yes Yoda is worth farming
  • If defensive squads meant something it wouldn't be so bad. But otherwise it's a competition of who has more Ally points and who has the fastest Wiggs squad, boring.
  • XJStryker wrote: »
    What about this game isnt repetitive lol... and in a sense gets boring. We battle perty much same arena guys, perty much same galactic war, then farm the same cantina nodes forever, grind the same gear on the same normal battles, then raid the same way in the pit and AAT. Lol. Is all repetitive and bori g but we build rewards up so we can try and do better harder stuff to move away from our current boring trend lol.... same cycle... but its star wars so we love it lol

Spent my entire saturday night last tournament just attacking and refreshing trying to find the easiest team to attack. Way more time consuming than other parts of the game. (Much better than crystals still though)
  • If defensive squads meant something it wouldn't be so bad. But otherwise it's a competition of who has more Ally points and who has the fastest Wiggs squad, boring.

I agree on defensive meaning something. Wiggs squads are not all that I've not run them in ages in arena and I destroy Wiggs teams.
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Another battle of who has the most ally points. This is an improvement over who has the biggest crystal vault, but it is still repetitive and boring. It's just a big pvAI spree.

And then ppl will complain that it's repetitive and boring and just another raid, but solo... :#
    May the force be with you. It shall free you.
  • DarthBlartMC
    595 posts Member
    edited November 2016

If they did this then you'd likely be complaining that this format caters to the whales. Whatever EA comes up with there will always be people like you complaining. You think the tournament is boring? Good. Don't participate.

It's boring and I'm trying to offer a solution that involves strategy and thought. And I don't participate because the tournament is just an arena spree that the winner is based on who has the most ally points. They can do better than this. You can offer a better solution than your troll response "Don't participate", but that would require thought on your end.
  • Another battle of who has the most ally points. This is an improvement over who has the biggest crystal vault, but it is still repetitive and boring. It's just a big pvAI spree.

Don't be like that... Everyone should give feedback so they can refine and refine and refine to make a bettertournament with each iteration.

I disagree with this person, but at least they're:
    1) Staking a definitive claim instead of trying to weasel faux support by making a bogus, biased poll.

2) Has discrete, enumerated points that are expounded upon and given context instead of vague "this sucks" statements.

3) Offers constructive solutions instead of just saying "fix it."
  • I still say the biggest improvement would be to allow you to attack anyone on your tournament server, but award significantly fewer points to low lower teams. Teams with 20k power should be worth something like 20% as those with 45k power. The reason I want this is because it gives me seemingly inifinite battle combinations. I can use my entire roster against a wide combination of defenses.

To do this though you have to set refresh limits. I say 5 per toon (raise costs if you want). Otherwise we will be playing all day.
    Giving points for defense opens the tournament up to collusion. See someone from your guild, attack with your five weakest characters, get beat badly, give points to your friend.

Good point @NicWester

What would you think about @DarthBlartMC 's suggestion of removing names from the tournament?

Also, you said you disagreed with OP. Do you like the tourney as it is currently?
  • There are ways to make these fun, just don't know if the SW's setup can do it. I played Legendary: Game of Heroes for a while. Raiding on that is a rush. Finding bosses, attacking, rallying allies, fighting for MVP, sniping the final hit, "leveling up" bosses. Now that is a tourney I can have fun in (really it was termed a raid though). This tourney is boring. Get your free attacks in and then what...keep attacking the same old teams over and over again...Grind, grind, grind.
  • I think someone mentioned after the last tournament, the idea of having reward 'gateways' that you got once you hit a certain milestone in points. So, 200 points = 10k credits, 500 points = 5 crystals, you get the idea.

I feel this is a much fairer way to award participation - set the character shard rewards suitably high. That way, EVERYONE is on a level playing field, and you won't get situations where top 100 is, say, 5000 points on one ladder, and 10000 on another.

Good point @NicWester

What would you think about @DarthBlartMC 's suggestion of removing names from the tournament?

Also, you said you disagreed with OP. Do you like the tourney as it is currently?

First question first: Eh. Not a fan of it, but I wouldn't be mad if they did it. I remember names well when I'm refreshing looking for a good target. Removing names would make it more frustrating. I also like seeing names because then I feel like I'm playing a real person, as opposed to an AI generated filler team.

Second question second: Yeah. I didn't refresh much in either tournament (twice in the first one, and as long as it cost 100 tokens in the second) and finished just a little over 1000 when prizes were distributed. I would prefer if there was a cap on refreshes per character--putting a de facto cap on the attacks per day, but also letting me be able to say I Am Done Today. But, overall, yeah. I like the tournament.
  • Its so boring. been in 3 hours and already bored of it. Maybe i could get 1st but i know i can't be bothered to go for it. Got to do about 30 of the same battle to catch up with first and its just too boring to do that.
  • My tournament shard opened 2 hours ago and the top 50 already has over 3.5k points. There is not even a reason for me to attempt and it's only 2 hours old. I don't have the time or desire to spend hours chasing top 100 only to fall like a rock overnight.

I am still 10 shards short of unlocking Shoretrooper. Don't need another almost done character to collect dust. If Shoretrooper shards were the reward this time as well I would make the effort to at least unlock him. As it stands, I'll burn my 100k ally points on bronzium packs. My son loves to open them and his happimess is more important than sitting mindlessly for hours only to come up short on another character that will be chromium exclusive in a few weeks.
  • Half hour in, I'm over it. Too much like work.......
  • Whiteroom wrote: »
    Its so boring. been in 3 hours and already bored of it. Maybe i could get 1st but i know i can't be bothered to go for it. Got to do about 30 of the same battle to catch up with first and its just too boring to do that.
    xanderxman wrote: »
    My tournament shard opened 2 hours ago and the top 50 already has over 3.5k points. There is not even a reason for me to attempt and it's only 2 hours old. I don't have the time or desire to spend hours chasing top 100 only to fall like a rock overnight.
    danrussoa wrote: »
    Half hour in, I'm over it. Too much like work.......

Thing is... Then don't. I'm not trying to be a **** or anything, or be one of those "DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T DO IT GOSH STOP COMPLAININGSINGINGING" people.

But the purpose of a game is to have fun, so if you're not having fun don't do it. I don't have the constitution to do what Whiteroom has done, playing for three hours. That'd get real boring real fast. So what I did was do 5 fights when I got home, then do my Galactic War while watching The Wire. Did two more, then started in on Arena. I've got 22 hours before my rosters refresh, I can do more attacks in the morning and a couple more later in the day.

My plan isn't to get 1st place. That's too much of a time commitment. But I think I'll do about 30 attacks a day, which should get me around 500 this time (better than the last two tournaments) and then no more. I don't want to spend all that time.

Anyway, my point is, you don't need to win. Just do what feels comfortable to you. You'd be surprised how well you can do in this thing with a minimal investment of effort. 1000-1500 has great rewards, and doesn't take too many attacks to get.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    It's a grind.

Inside a game that is all about the grind, why is anyone surprised?
  • I bypass it all and use the points for bronze cards :)
  • xanderxman
    505 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    NicWester wrote: »
    Whiteroom wrote: »
    Its so boring. been in 3 hours and already bored of it. Maybe i could get 1st but i know i can't be bothered to go for it. Got to do about 30 of the same battle to catch up with first and its just too boring to do that.
    My tournament shard opened 2 hours ago and the top 50 already has over 3.5k points. There is not even a reason for me to attempt and it's only 2 hours old. I don't have the time or desire to spend hours chasing top 100 only to fall like a rock overnight.

Thing is... Then don't. I'm not trying to be a **** or anything, or be one of those "DON'T LIKE IT, DON'T DO IT GOSH STOP COMPLAININGSINGINGING" people.

But the purpose of a game is to have fun, so if you're not having fun don't do it. I don't have the constitution to do what Whiteroom has done, playing for three hours. That'd get real boring real fast. So what I did was do 5 fights when I got home, then do my Galactic War while watching The Wire. Did two more, then started in on Arena. I've got 22 hours before my rosters refresh, I can do more attacks in the morning and a couple more later in the day.

My plan isn't to get 1st place. That's too much of a time commitment. But I think I'll do about 30 attacks a day, which should get me around 500 this time (better than the last two tournaments) and then no more. I don't want to spend all that time.

Anyway, my point is, you don't need to win. Just do what feels comfortable to you. You'd be surprised how well you can do in this thing with a minimal investment of effort. 1000-1500 has great rewards, and doesn't take too many attacks to get.

My point wasn't to complain. Simply voicing an opinion that it is pointless to even spend more than 5 minutes a day doing it. I did with Shoretrooper and have a still locked character that I now have to pay to finish. I don't see Chirrut being any different.

I will do my battles with no refreshes and get what I get. I'm not going to invest any more time than that since I see no light at the end of the tunnel.

I don't pay to play so there is no point in chasing shards of a character that will inevitably be a chromium release. I'll get whatever the reward box gives me and move on.
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    The "tournament" was advertised as a test of the strength of your roster. It has not even been close to that

I think they should just get rid of pay to refresh, in any currency format, all together. Just refresh the roster once every 24 hours. I will say I do like the idea that if the character lives thru the battle they get reset for free, that is a "strength" test, however even that should be limited.

Defense's should be ai/dev generated teams.
    I have no problems battling wiggs teams but battling them 20+ times a day is just boring.

Edit: Just thought off something else. Make it opposite factions. You pick a faction for defense, set your defense team and than in offense you have to use the opposite faction.
  • scuba wrote: »
    I have no problems battling wiggs teams but battling them 20+ times a day is just boring.

The only good thing about fighting wiggs all day is, win or lose the matches never last long.

You're on wrong thread. This thread was started to complain about how boring the tournament is, I suspect. Doubt you will find many that think the way you do here so................

And this is actually what I'm doing. Just not playing (as of this moment I haven't even entered). But then that really sucks for us, as we can't get a character. These are exclusive rewards we are talking about, so it hurts us to not participate. It's either participate and grind or risk falling behind. It's not exactly great for the game to make such a big feature boring as hell.
  • I've noted this regarding the previous two tournaments. It is repetitive and gets boring. After the first 30 minutes, you face nearly identical teams for hours.
  • J0K3R wrote: »

And then ppl will complain that it's repetitive and boring and just another raid, but solo... :#

It actually is a shorter, more intense version of the AAT grind. :-1:
  • I'd like to see the refresh scraped and defensive sets changed to whatever team you last used on offense. This would be a true test of your roster and could actually be fun and engaging.

Would take a bit of changing how boards are set bc it wouldn't be fair for someone with 20 guys to go against someone with 90. I think that would be easy though, design boards to build in a range targeting player lvl , # of each star lvl and average gear.

But hey watching a guy that has 2 teams and a million ap battle for hours is fun too lol