Is IG-88's AoE underperforming?

SlyGambit
1246 posts Member
edited January 2016
I've been working IG-88 as a project. I have him as part of a team that should maximize his crit occurrences and crit damage.

7* Sid(L), 6* IG-86, 6* Poggle, 6* Poe, 6* IG-88 (all level 64)

I waited until IG-88 was 6* so he'd have enough health to maybe survive an attack before using him in game. He also has rapid fire and adaptive algorithm both at level 6. However I've noticed two things about him that seem odd.

1) His crit rate is extremely low. I'm lucky to get two crits on an AOE. I assume it is using his special crit rate and not physical. His special damage rate is 10 vs. Sid's 20. His physical crit rate is 510 compared to Sid's 432. I typically get 3-4 crits with a Sid AOE and almost never see a Sid AOE that fails to deliver at least one crit. With IG-88 in about 20 arena battles I have seen nearly 2/3 of my AOE attacks fail to deliver more than 1 crit. If that special crit rating is an actual percentage prior to boosts then perhaps that makes sense. I'm confused why the numbers for physical crit rate are so different from special crit rate in the game mechanics.

2) The crit damage from his AOE appears to have not changed from 5* to 6*. With 5 dots on the enemy and a poggle offense up boost I'm hitting for just under 5k in crit damage. However with 5* I was also hitting for just under 5k in crit damage. While 5k is obviously pretty good I'm not seeing it scale with gear/star/level the way I've seen other characters scale. I don't know if this is because his intelligence doesn't go up much when he increases (his agility is the main stat increase) but it seems like he gets less from stars than most.

So what I'm seeing is a character who is underperforming even in optimum situations. It feels like he is behaving along with his stats for special damage but without all of the boosts that his abilities are slated to give him. Since there is no way for us to see the actual damage calculations as those abilities are applied I can only go off circumstantial evidence.

Because he is the glass cannon of all glass cannons I was expecting better results. He is still obviously very good however in the current meta his utility is a lot lower than single-shot or assist attackers.

I know that at one point during the soft launch AOE was effectively nerfed across the board. I'm curious if anyone knows how it was nerfed and whether or not the experience I'm having with him might be due to him specifically getting nerfed. I'm going to try to record some shots of his AoE damage with the modifiers active so I can get something to compare when when 7* him in a week or so (I'll also max gear him tomorrow).

It's still fun to play him but when his AoE, which should be the strongest in game when everything is factored in fails to do more damage than a Luminara heal he will probably have to stay on my bench for most games.

Replies

• He is a mid tier character after all..
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    I use him on my droid team witb hk47 leading and if he hits five toons he generally gets 3 crits... And another turn.

I wonder if it's his gear level vs your enemies
  • SlyGambit
    1246 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    He's max gear minus one piece (physical damage so it shouldn't matter). HK-47 gives them 30% chance increase at level 7 while Sid only grants a 13% chance so that would make sense. I don't expect 5 crits obviously but it seems like I should be averaging 2-3 while it appears that I'm averaging 1-2.

I have been mainly using him against higher level arena teams (~2-3 levels) since the spenders are around level 66 now and I'm at 64. Level difference seems to affect resistance so if that's used to determine if a toon crits or not maybe that's why I'm seeing the lower than expected crit rate. I did experiment at some teams that were at or below my level while I sat at 1 and I have been using him in GW on difficult matches (for exactly one match because that's all you get to use him). Perhaps when I hit 70 things will normalize and he'll start performing to my expectations. Or (more likely) I've just let my expectations get too high. :smile:

I may switch to HK at some point in the distant future since there really isn't anyone to farm in squad arena after IG-88 and Sid (maybe Assaj if her fix ever happens).
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    I would expect you to still land at least 3 crits consistantly