Equal refreshes for all would make tournaments better.

Prev1
Smapty
1260 posts Member
The current system of refreshing characters and teams using ally points (while dramatically better than crystal refreshes) still makes the tournaments skewed and unbalanced for those involved.

One could simply skip a tourney and save up all those ally points to be sure they can secure a top spot in the next tourney (provided they can put up a strong team). The advantage of having more of the expense required to refresh your teams is the largest factor in how well you place in the tournament.

I propose that all players should have the same amount of allowed refreshes per character and those that can put up the stronger teams (that don't lose anyone while attacking) will naturally have the advantage in these tournaments.

That's the idea isn't it? That those with the strongest rosters and teams should be the top dogs and place highest in these tournaments...

How about we reward the players that have invested the time and/or money to build up strong rosters and teams rather than rewarding the players that have saved up the most currency for refreshes or are willing to spend the most cash to do well in the tournament?

Thoughts and feedback are appreciated as always!

Replies

• Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    Tl:dr... We should all have equal footing with regards to refreshing charachters for tournaments. This would allow those that have the stronger teams/ rosters to move into the top ranks regardless of expense.
  • scuba
    14043 posts Member
    So simply remove refreshing, other than the 24 hour refresh. Time commitment is reduced drastically and the advantage goes to the stronger roster.
  • If this were the case whales would have a huge adavantage. Yes the tournaments are long and boring, but at least as a f2p, I have the ability to do good in some tournaments by skipping 1 tourament and saving for the next
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    hnewton wrote: »
    If this were the case whales would have a huge adavantage. Yes the tournaments are long and boring, but at least as a f2p, I have the ability to do good in some tournaments by skipping 1 tourament and saving for the next

As they should...

My understanding from what was stated initially was that the tournaments were supposed to reward those with the deepest and strongest rosters. If someone sank thousands of dollars into this game then they should have some advantage in something like a player tournament.

Maybe I'm biased but that seems reasonable to me... sure the "strong get stronger" but those people spening a lot of money will do that regardless
  • Main thing for me is to shorten the required time commitment... I have 2 accounts and finishing the tourney for both took 10h out of my weekend with my family... That's not sustainable!
  • Main thing for me is to shorten the required time commitment... I have 2 accounts and finishing the tourney for both took 10h out of my weekend with my family... That's not sustainable!

The only problem with this argument is no one made you play.
  • I'd like to see them cut it down to one day - it's just too long. It's more of a marathon than anything. Besides, there's just too much content to have it last multiple days. Example, our guild did two Pit Raid's?, finished AAT raid, and started another AAT raid. All this on top of the tournament, and next time, add ships into the mix.
  • Refreshes are largely capped. The real issue is placing people who have been playing a year with people who have been playing for 3 months. Not only do they have way more arena capable toons, they don't need GW tokens like new people.

Of course if you are the person that has it easier than others you think it's fair since it rewards players that have been playing a long time (you) but that isn't what people think of w "tournament" which is supposed to be competitive for all entrants. The "you got 10 free credits, shut up while I pound in arena w an exclusive toon" is pathetic.

Group shards like arena. For 90% it's not worth spending more than 10 mins a day on.
  • Zooey
    1607 posts Member
    I'm not too sure that would be the best idea. I would however like a one reset tournament (they can put it over 3 days if need be) with a cap on fights per toon. Perhaps even make a system where a toon has x lives and loses 1 per win, and 3 for a loss or sacrificial victory.
  • scuba wrote: »
    So simply remove refreshing, other than the 24 hour refresh. Time commitment is reduced drastically and the advantage goes to the stronger roster.

I could get on board with this.
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    Zooey wrote: »
    I'm not too sure that would be the best idea. I would however like a one reset tournament (they can put it over 3 days if need be) with a cap on fights per toon. Perhaps even make a system where a toon has x lives and loses 1 per win, and 3 for a loss or sacrificial victory.

That's an interesting idea as well...

Each character gets 3 deaths. It could be weighed by wins or losses and in fact that would actually give some meaning to defensive teams and make them have more significance.

I might be crazy but I don't think that someone who just started playing 2 months ago or someone that casually has played the game for some time should not be able to kick butt in the tournament vs players that have invested more... be it time or money.

Some might even say that time is money (quite literally in this game where spending money reduces the time for the gains)

The tournament should reward what you have already achieved... rather than what expense you are willing give.
  • I would like the next tournament to start on a Monday or a Wendesday instead of a Friday.

Late Friday night Saturday morning was the only time I was able to really spend on the tournament.

I made it to top 200 or so with over 60k ally points left.

Unfortunately by this afternoon, I was knocked back to over a 1000 rank. I was able to spend 10 mins. and get to close to 750 but by the end of the tournament I was almost 1500 rank.

I get that not everyone has the same time commitments but making tourneys run the same time every time is just plain annoying as I am a weekend dad and have social functions and life.

I don't sweat it too much but some sort of rotating schedule would be nice.
  • Baze
    182 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    CG could just release the tourney character in another format the same time as the tourney so those who didn't or couldn't participate could also acquire it through another means. Certainly would soften the blow for those who aren't whales + hoarders.

Or alternatively set the allowed AP to a certain number, make it a 24hr event, with one reset midway (at the 12th hour mark), and simply have the tourney every week for the month (same shard). Increase the frequency to allow more players to acquire the top prize so it becomes less of a "whale hoarders" event.
  • Worst idea ever... while they're at it, why don't they just skip it entirely & just give everyone rank 1 rewards? I get the argument about the shards and match ups, I don't get the complaints about ally points and time consumption. Here's an idea, save your ally points & try competing in 1 out of 2 or 3 tournaments. As far as time goes, it's a special event, sorry but it should take some time. That being said, it's a special event, you don't have to compete. Just my 2 cents, I'm sure there are plenty who will most certainly disagree.
  • There are people getting 5-7* Chirrut with level 70 accounts and 20 characters. Something isn't right.
  • Last one I came 5th I'm f2p, first place scored just over 5k, we was all around the same score lvl of 34k, it was fun felt fair, this time not so good I was fighting players with a AVG of 45k score lvl, first 12 hrs the 5k mark been hit, all that changed in my account was lvl 82 to lvl 83, there was no way to compete in this tournament, game should base what tournament bracket your in by the score of your best 15 toons with a tier bracket of 5k eg 6-10 / 11- 15 / 16-20 and so on.

First tournament was a cash grab, second one was fair and balanced in my bracket, third was not even close for me to being fair competitive and fun.
  • The way to fix the tournament is to make it into an actual tournament.
    Wether you won or lost the event was decided by your ally point capital (or your willingness to spend it). It was not a tournament but an auction, just like before.

I would like to see an actual tournament where you increase rank for winning, decrease rank for loosing, and are matched to opponents based on rank. We can already buy everything in this game. Give us at least one thing we can earn by other means.
  • Winstar
    2429 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Smapty wrote: »

How about we reward the players that have invested the time and/or money to build up strong rosters and teams rather than rewarding the players that have saved up the most currency for refreshes or are willing to spend the most cash to do well in the tournament?

? The strongest rosters do win the tournament.

All the ally money in the world won't allow you to win/gain points to move up in the ranks if your team sucks.

If you do have said roster for your level/tournament bracket, it's your fault you did not save up your ally or galactic war money. You've had a month to prepare for this tournament.
  • Saltan wrote: »
    Last one I came 5th I'm f2p, first place scored just over 5k, we was all around the same score lvl of 34k, it was fun felt fair, this time not so good I was fighting players with a AVG of 45k score lvl, first 12 hrs the 5k mark been hit, all that changed in my account was lvl 82 to lvl 83, there was no way to compete in this tournament, game should base what tournament bracket your in by the score of your best 15 toons with a tier bracket of 5k eg 6-10 / 11- 15 / 16-20 and so on.

First tournament was a cash grab, second one was fair and balanced in my bracket, third was not even close for me to being fair competitive and fun.

I felt the exact same way, the first turnament I did really bad, the second tournament was much better and I scored in the top 100s and this third tourney I gave up all together because all the teams were power 40k+ and my strongest power team only goes up to 33k

Btw the second turney I was fighting teams with power of about 32k ~37k and my team power was about 32.5k at the time.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    while i also believe that having a stronger roster should be rewarding, capping refreshes is sort of a f u to everyone who didnt start in nov/dec 2015 and isn't a whale. new players reach lvl 85 relatively fast but have nowhere near the depth of a early starter roster.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • in RL people and their opportunities are not all equal.
    Why should game be?
  • Thes tournaments are trash just horribly designed end of story. Needs some serious changes.
  • Smapty wrote: »
    Tl:dr... We should all have equal footing with regards to refreshing charachters for tournaments. This would allow those that have the stronger teams/ rosters to move into the top ranks regardless of expense.

+ 1 million
  • Winstar wrote: »

All the ally money in the world won't allow you to win/gain points to move up in the ranks if your team sucks.

If you do have said roster for your level/tournament bracket, it's your fault you did not save up your ally or galactic war money. You've had a month to prepare for this tournament.

Ignorance is bliss.

• Winstar wrote: »

That's simply not true, would love to show you the rosters of some of the top 10 finishers in my bracket, I have no idea how they won any battles let alone racked up massive point totals.
  • Could they at least change what they call it because it is anything but a tournament. There's no meaningful bracket or seeding, no feeling of advancing through matches towards a championship match, or anything typical of any other tournament done by other games/sports. If they want to call it a tournament, then it should actually be one not some random free-for-all.
  • scuba
    14043 posts Member
    Winstar wrote: »

Actually it doesn't
    Player A has 5 "Meta" characters. Ally point total 500k.
    Player B has 10 "Meta" Characters (including the same 5 as player A) and 20 decent characters. Ally point total 20k

Player B has the stronger roster, a roster is more than just 5 characters.
    Player A will have have final higher rank.

So no roster strength does not play into it as much as it should.
  • The tournament is supposed to favor players with a large roster. This means the attempts should be numbered and require a certain amount of characters. Below is my explanation of what i think it should be:
    Tournament will be set to 4 days with the first day being the Setup day. Each player will have to set their 6 Total teams (1 Defense and 5 Offense). The following 3 days will be match-up days. Day 1 you face 1 person, day 2 you face a different person, day 3 you face final person.
    Characters will have to have mods set on Setup Day and cannot be moved until Entire Tournament is over.
    QUALIFICATIONS:
    Minimum of 30 Characters
    Defensive squad - First 5 characters you choose. These characters cannot be used on the offensive side.
    Offense/Battle 1 - Select 5 characters. Cannot be used more than once per day
    Offense/Battle 2 - Select next 5 characters. Again cannot be used more than once per day.
    Offense/Battle 3 - Select next 5 characters. Again cannot be used more than once per day.
    Same for Offense 4 and 5.
    Everyone will start in Bracket 4 with players being in certain sections based on player level and # of 7 Star characters and gear etc..
    Since this cannot be live PVP, you face the same player on that day until you either win 3 or lose 3. This means if (Battle Day 1) my match up is against XXX. Both XXX and I win 3 rounds we both move on to the next Bracket.
    Everyone who lost 3 rounds against their matchup would stay in Bracket 4 while the winners move to Bracket 3.
    REWARDS - At the end of the overall tournament.
    The rewards last time were Shoretrooper shards and gear etc. Rewards could be something like this below:
    Bracket 1 - Won all 3 days - Receives Full 7* Shoretrooper 3 full pieces of Raid gear, credits etc.
    Bracket 2 - Won 2 out of 3 days - Receives 5 * Shoretrooper, 2 Full pieces of raid gear and salvage gear, credits etc.
    Bracket 3 - Won 1 out of 3 days - Receives 3 * Shoretrooper, 1 full piece of raid gear and salvage gear
    Bracket 4 - Won 0 out of 3 days - Receives same as Bracket 3 except no Shoretrooper shards.
    In my Opinion, this will help the tournament be balanced and fair by limiting the number of attacks because of no refreshes with crystals or Ally coins or anything. Enabling refreshes at all still won't be fair. There are people with hundreds of thousands of Ally points while some have a mere 5000 or less.
    My idea will be rewarding the large rosters because some people may have to go into Battle 4 or 5 and will need those 21 -25th or 26th - 30th characters to help win and move them to the next bracket.
  • scuba
    14043 posts Member
    Dhoey321 wrote: »
    The tournament is supposed to favor players with a large roster. This means the attempts should be numbered and require a certain amount of characters. Below is my explanation of what i think it should be:
    Tournament will be set to 4 days with the first day being the Setup day. Each player will have to set their 6 Total teams (1 Defense and 5 Offense). The following 3 days will be match-up days. Day 1 you face 1 person, day 2 you face a different person, day 3 you face final person.
    Characters will have to have mods set on Setup Day and cannot be moved until Entire Tournament is over.
    QUALIFICATIONS:
    Minimum of 30 Characters
    Defensive squad - First 5 characters you choose. These characters cannot be used on the offensive side.
    Offense/Battle 1 - Select 5 characters. Cannot be used more than once per day
    Offense/Battle 2 - Select next 5 characters. Again cannot be used more than once per day.
    Offense/Battle 3 - Select next 5 characters. Again cannot be used more than once per day.
    Same for Offense 4 and 5.
    Everyone will start in Bracket 4 with players being in certain sections based on player level and # of 7 Star characters and gear etc..
    Since this cannot be live PVP, you face the same player on that day until you either win 3 or lose 3. This means if (Battle Day 1) my match up is against XXX. Both XXX and I win 3 rounds we both move on to the next Bracket.
    Everyone who lost 3 rounds against their matchup would stay in Bracket 4 while the winners move to Bracket 3.
    REWARDS - At the end of the overall tournament.
    The rewards last time were Shoretrooper shards and gear etc. Rewards could be something like this below:
    Bracket 1 - Won all 3 days - Receives Full 7* Shoretrooper 3 full pieces of Raid gear, credits etc.
    Bracket 2 - Won 2 out of 3 days - Receives 5 * Shoretrooper, 2 Full pieces of raid gear and salvage gear, credits etc.
    Bracket 3 - Won 1 out of 3 days - Receives 3 * Shoretrooper, 1 full piece of raid gear and salvage gear
    Bracket 4 - Won 0 out of 3 days - Receives same as Bracket 3 except no Shoretrooper shards.
    In my Opinion, this will help the tournament be balanced and fair by limiting the number of attacks because of no refreshes with crystals or Ally coins or anything. Enabling refreshes at all still won't be fair. There are people with hundreds of thousands of Ally points while some have a mere 5000 or less.
    My idea will be rewarding the large rosters because some people may have to go into Battle 4 or 5 and will need those 21 -25th or 26th - 30th characters to help win and move them to the next bracket.

if only 30 characters can be use you remove the advantage of a larger roster.

The major complaints have been the time commitment and the buying of first place with ally points, crystals what ever it will be next time.

Simply remove the paid for refreshes.
    Daily time requirement is drastically reduced as you can only battle with as many teams as you have.
    The players with the larger and stronger rosters will now have the advantage.
  • Smapty wrote: »
    Zooey wrote: »

That's an interesting idea as well...

Each character gets 3 deaths. It could be weighed by wins or losses and in fact that would actually give some meaning to defensive teams and make them have more significance.

I might be crazy but I don't think that someone who just started playing 2 months ago or someone that casually has played the game for some time should not be able to kick butt in the tournament vs players that have invested more... be it time or money.

Some might even say that time is money (quite literally in this game where spending money reduces the time for the gains)

The tournament should reward what you have already achieved... rather than what expense you are willing give.

+1
    I think having a limited number of deaths (or something similar) would be a much better option than the endless refreshing of ally points. It would reward those players with a deep roster, strong characters, and still cater to the whales and players since launch. I think the majority of people didn't want to spend 5+ hours grinding against the same teams over and over. Having a limited number of deaths / uses per character would be more strategic and involve many more characters. That might even entice players to broaden their rosters more and spend more to have 3-4 potential arena squads instead of just 1 meta arena squad.

The time spent on this felt excessive. As another suggested, could we shorten the duration of the event? Maybe move from 52 hours to say 36 hours?