Question Regarding Vader's Zeta Upgrade.

War
932 posts Member
edited November 2016
His upgrade reads: Enemies immediately regain Damage Over Time for 2 turns whenever Damage Over Time expires on them while Darth Vader is alive. The word "expires" is what gets me, does this imply when they expire naturally after they run their course, in which case it's the worst Zeta upgrade so far. Or whenever they would expire, including dispels.

I assume it's meant to synergize with his cull, that way if it doesn't kill the target, they're still suffering 2-3 DoTs. It would also be a good counter to these new Rebels, as well as old characters, that can destroy an Empire squad by cleansing the whole team. But if you can simply cleans the DoT's, it's an awful Zeta upgrade compared to these others that have been released.

It wouldn't even be the least bit OP if it works like I think it should, considering how long his AoE's cool down is, and the lack of DoT placing characters that can synergize with an Empire squad. So I really hope these DoT's are as permanent as I think they are, otherwise Palpatine lead will still be the only real option for an Empire squad.

Replies

• I think it's meant to counter his low speed. I've seen a lot of occasions where Vader's used his AoE but it's not lasted long enough for him to get another turn.
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    I'm guessing expire would be when they go out on their own for it to be dispel also it would be worded like Shoretrooper's taunt that says when lost which covers both expire and dispel
  • Tooltje
    188 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    It does not say that the DoTs should have been applied by Vader. Add in sid with his Zeta, Boba now he's reworked etc. This also means that the AAT tank will never get rid of the DoTs!! This is huge, because you can rack up 50+ DoTs this way!
  • War
    932 posts Member
    Tooltje wrote: »
    It does not say that the DoTs should have been applied by Vader. Add in sid with his Zeta, Boba now he's reworked etc. This also means that the AAT tank will never get rid of the DoTs!! This is huge, because you can rack up 50+ DoTs this way!

Yeah but what about arena viability? So many teams now run characters with cleanses like; Ackbar, Elder, and Rex, that this leader ability would only be good in Raids. I suppose I could run Palpatine lead in Arena and Vader lead in raids. But I was hoping for the upgrade cost, his leader ability would be viable in all aspects of the game.
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Tooltje wrote: »

Well they did nerf how much damage DOTs do and in order for you to use that strategy it would require you staying alive for a long time since the DOTs won't do anything unless the tank takes turns. I have a hard time getting through 6-8 turns of the AAT on heroic even with 3 topples
  • Tooltje wrote: »

This. Most zeta's seem to have a bigger use raidwise than arena wise. I'm thinking this is their way of making the AAT raid easier instead of nerfing it.
    A lot of zeta upgrades are the ones we use for during AAT.
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • The DoT's are as permanent as you think they are. :smile:
  • TyberZann
    74 posts Member
    edited November 2016
    Alright, lets take this scenario, I have Vader, sidious, gamorrean guard, boba fett and kylo ren, they all use their abilities that slap damage over time, if sid get a crit, than the entire enemy team will be covered in 6 dots, one member of which will have an extra 2 from the gammorean and 1 from kylo, totaling 9 dots on one specific toon, while the rest of his team is covered in 6. With Vader's ability these dots will forever reapply themselves, meaning i can continuously keep stacking them, but what if Rex is on the enemy team, will he just dispel them and the moment his tenacity up is gone will they magically appear again? Or does Vader's ability literally ignore all forms of dispels and simply reapplies itself despite Rex's debuff immunity?

I know Vader can still slap an ability block on jedi's who have tenacity up, despite saying it can resist all negative effects vs vader's cannot be evaded or resisted basic attack. If His leadership ability applies the same reasoning to the Dots than its safe to assume that Rex wont be able to dispel those dots.
  • War
    932 posts Member
    The DoT's are as permanent as you think they are. :smile:

Thank you so much, that's awesome. Both for the reply and design choice for his Leadership upgrade.
  • yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!
  • The DoT's are as permanent as you think they are. :smile:

So if rex dispel/resist they stay there?
  • War
    932 posts Member
    The DoT's are as permanent as you think they are. :smile:

So if rex dispel/resist they stay there?

Order of events would have them cleansed, immediately reapplied, then Tenacity Up would kick in. So yeah they stay there.
  • Can Empire/Sith DoTs trigger the TMR? If so, does that actually prevent the victim from taking their turn or is it already too late by the time the damage is applied? I suspect it doesn't as that would be stupidly OP and I've never seen anyone complain about it but you never know. Not many people are running Vader leads so it could just be that no one's noticed before.
  • scuba
    14044 posts Member
    Can Empire/Sith DoTs trigger the TMR? If so, does that actually prevent the victim from taking their turn or is it already too late by the time the damage is applied? I suspect it doesn't as that would be **** OP and I've never seen anyone complain about it but you never know. Not many people are running Vader leads so it could just be that no one's noticed before.

I don't think it does or if it does it is at the beginning of their turn so it won't matter.

In the raid the Dot's don't add TM to the boss because the damage is applied during this turn

Order of operations is most likely
    Start turn
    Dot's damage so no TM changes.