Uninspiring gear, could have been far far better.

HanSlowMo
235 posts Member
edited January 2016
So here I am looking at my characters and planning on where / what to gear up next and I can't help but laugh. I finally just realized how generic and forced the gearing system is currently in the game. Honestly I don't know if I'm looking for 27 mark 7 holo lens bacta prototype scraps, or 18 holo power injector core scraps, or 1 shock jolt cuffs...who knows. I don't even know the NAME of these bland things I'm farming. And at the end of the day it REALLY doesn't matter what the gear is, it's basically the "final" 7* star hero.

The gear is set and factored into the "end game" stats of a hero. There is no changing of gear, there is no options or path...other than a SINGLE path. Eventually fully gearing your hero would happen but why? why not just take those extra gear stats and tack on another *? The gearing of a hero seems like an awesome concept but has fallen completely flat on it's face. SURE it's fun to look at the next upgrade possible and thing "oh sweet, I'm going to get an extra 250hp and some tenacity" but then thinking "all I need is 27 of this thingamajig I just forgot what it's called, 7 of those what's it's, and another disc looking frisbee thing I'll have it!"

I'm NOT going to jump all over EA and say "it's just another super simple way to suck out energy for players and force us to "waste" it just to get "final stats". But it's starting to feel like it. It feels hurried and rushed and just BAM thrown in as another energy sink at times, there really isn't a need for it. Yeah I guess it makes goals to further heroes and helps set apart from other arena teams, but at the end of the day you NEVER see anyone really get excited or post here about gear. Gear can drive an RPG just as much as the strategy and heroes of a game and I feel like this is a massively overlooked aspect that could have been implemented.

How much MORE excited would players be if we had to choose between filling a slot with an HP modifier or a crit percentage. Or gear that has a small chance to reduce cooldowns or increase ability to dodge attacks. But you get to CHOOSE what you want out of a set pool of options and gear to farm. EVERYONE knows how much diversity gearing a character can provide in any game. I mean, the most obvious sign that this is thrown in as an extra energy gate is that these 6 squares are just willy nilly around your hero. Not even spot dependant. I'm putting cuffs in the lower right and some weird detonator I don't remember the name of near my head. Honestly the combinations one could make are endless, and the monetary potential for EA is just as much. Green gear vs. Purple gear would matter to the players and believe me people would FARM for some really rare gear just as much if not MORE than for heroes. Right now it's just very....meh.

And WHY does a "stun cuff" provide my character added physical damage and a thermal detonator give me added HP and armor??!! That doesn't even make sense and just further shows how half baked the gearing system is currently. It all seems randomly generated.
Post edited by Hozilla on

Replies

• I doubt too many people actually care about this. This is a Hero-driven RPG. People want to collect the different Star Wars characters and make them good. I, for one, don't care what gear I'm putting on them to get them there.
  • Pure_Pazaak
    386 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    I can't say I read your post past the first generic complaint I read, but I can say that if you hope for or expect things to change to make this game intuitive and polished in a meaningful way, look elsewhere. This is a mobile game. Developers don't make these types of games because they want to create something people will enjoy and reminisce about later. They want money, and so they put in the bare minimum systems to make the game playable, with the rest designed to pressure you into wanting to speed your progression. Especially in a game dependent on a license from another franchise outside of the company. Just be glad you get enjoyment enough out of this game that it makes you feel indignant about it not being everything it could be.
    "Mockery: Oh, Master, I love you, but I hate all you stand for! But I think we should go press our slimy, mucus-covered lips together in the cargo hold!"
  • While i get where you coming from...remember this isn't an mmo. Like Pure_Pazaak said, it is a character driven game. The goal is to collect toons. What I want to to see more modes opened up, and really a mode not dependent on energy. I wouldn't care about rewards on that node either. Remember...there are three companies who get a cut from this game. Disney, EA, and CG.
  • I wouldn't mind an added equipment panel. Other games have "runes" or "gems" you can embed into equipment. I like fighting a hero and knowing exactly how it's going to perform. Also the idea of possibly really messing up a character frightens me.
  • I can't say I read your post past the first generic complaint I read, but I can say that if you hope for or expect things to change to make this game intuitive and polished in a meaningful way, look elsewhere. This is a mobile game. Developers don't make these types of games because they want to create something people will enjoy and reminisce about later. They want money, and so they put in the bare minimum systems to make the game playable, with the rest designed to pressure you into wanting to speed your progression. Especially in a game dependent on a license from another franchise outside of the company. Just be glad you get enjoyment enough out of this game that it makes you feel indignant about it not being everything it could be.

I really hope this game expands, grows, develops, and evolves like Clash of Clans has over the years since launch. If not, it's such a horrible waste of potential like you said.
  • I can't say I read your post past the first generic complaint I read, but I can say that if you hope for or expect things to change to make this game intuitive and polished in a meaningful way, look elsewhere. This is a mobile game. Developers don't make these types of games because they want to create something people will enjoy and reminisce about later. They want money, and so they put in the bare minimum systems to make the game playable, with the rest designed to pressure you into wanting to speed your progression. Especially in a game dependent on a license from another franchise outside of the company. Just be glad you get enjoyment enough out of this game that it makes you feel indignant about it not being everything it could be.

While I appreciate you replying after admitting to only reading my first two sentences I think it's unfair to just throw CG out and dismiss them as a company that doesn't "care" to make a good game. I'm sure the reigns are pulled tight by EA but I would be shocked to see it as just a "make a game just passable enough" and not want to make it the best experience they can. This isn't naivety talking, I truly believe a group of programmers, artists, and game creators want to do something special every time they take on a project. And the fact that it's a Star Wars IP should be motivation for just that. Many mobile games make MASSIVE profits and last for years, who's to say this can't and SHOULDN'T happen with this. This game has all the trademarks of a real standalone game that could amass a huge following for years.

I know this isn't an MMO, but it is an RPG. Hero's are fine, and they are obviously the biggest part. My point was that gear almost always creates a tailored experience for the player and usually is what keeps people coming back for years to come.

I guess this is just general frustration at the lost potential. Also some frustration at peoples "expectations" when participating in mobile games. Some of the responses in this thread so far just makes it a dreary outlook for gaming in general. It's accepted and a general rule that games on mobile will cost you 5-10 times more monetarily compared to full gaming experiences offered on consoles, while providing 1/100th of the content. I still have to wrap my head around this concept and how consumers have been duped so bad.

DUDE, THE THERMAL DETONATOR GIVES ME HP AND ARMOR...

• Yeah, thermal detonators were quite useful in KOTOR, but I can't see how it could be anything but an advantage for your opponents by stitching one to your armor/clothing, primed or not. :D
    "Mockery: Oh, Master, I love you, but I hate all you stand for! But I think we should go press our slimy, mucus-covered lips together in the cargo hold!"
  • HanSlowMo wrote: »
    I can't say I read your post past the first generic complaint I read, but I can say that if you hope for or expect things to change to make this game intuitive and polished in a meaningful way, look elsewhere. This is a mobile game. Developers don't make these types of games because they want to create something people will enjoy and reminisce about later. They want money, and so they put in the bare minimum systems to make the game playable, with the rest designed to pressure you into wanting to speed your progression. Especially in a game dependent on a license from another franchise outside of the company. Just be glad you get enjoyment enough out of this game that it makes you feel indignant about it not being everything it could be.

While I appreciate you replying after admitting to only reading my first two sentences I think it's unfair to just throw CG out and dismiss them as a company that doesn't "care" to make a good game. I'm sure the reigns are pulled tight by EA but I would be shocked to see it as just a "make a game just passable enough" and not want to make it the best experience they can. This isn't naivety talking, I truly believe a group of programmers, artists, and game creators want to do something special every time they take on a project. And the fact that it's a Star Wars IP should be motivation for just that. Many mobile games make MASSIVE profits and last for years, who's to say this can't and SHOULDN'T happen with this. This game has all the trademarks of a real standalone game that could amass a huge following for years.

I know this isn't an MMO, but it is an RPG. Hero's are fine, and they are obviously the biggest part. My point was that gear almost always creates a tailored experience for the player and usually is what keeps people coming back for years to come.

I guess this is just general frustration at the lost potential. Also some frustration at peoples "expectations" when participating in mobile games. Some of the responses in this thread so far just makes it a dreary outlook for gaming in general. It's accepted and a general rule that games on mobile will cost you 5-10 times more monetarily compared to full gaming experiences offered on consoles, while providing 1/100th of the content. I still have to wrap my head around this concept and how consumers have been duped so bad.

DUDE, THE THERMAL DETONATOR GIVES ME HP AND ARMOR...

Lol. You have a point. That being said, I use this game for killing time mostly....I sub to ESO, and mostly okay this at work, or during down time....I literally play an arena round, clean my bathroom, play a round, do something else, etc. Considering the money involved though, you are absolutely correct
  • I wonder why people seem to confuse a mobile game with full blown MMORPGs? Ive always seen mobile games as a time sink until I could get to my pc or console to play games with more fleshed out end games, raids, gear, etc... Guess Im old.
  • I wonder why people seem to confuse a mobile game with full blown MMORPGs? Ive always seen mobile games as a time sink until I could get to my pc or console to play games with more fleshed out end games, raids, gear, etc... Guess Im old.

Not confusing the two. I guess I'm equally confused why a game could cost so much more money to experience far less gaming than a full blown game? And even further confused its so easily accepted by gamers. I've spent more on this game in two months than I did on any "full fledged" mmo over the years with subs / expansions. Why am I in the wrong expecting a more "full gaming experience" for what it's costing me to experience even a fraction of this game?

I'm sorry I expected one aspect of this game, a big part of it energy and money wise (getting gear) to actually make sense and seem more than some thing thrown in last minute and planned out over a 20 minute "content meeting". Half the gear doesn't make sense, its confusing, and in the end game sense kind of redundant. It's a cheap energy spending gate. I'm not asking or suggesting the world...just something that at least appears to more than an afterthought in game design.
  • I agree that gear in this game could be a lot more fun. If they added customization, maybe it could be reversible at a cost to exchange, that way if you don't like how it turns out, it can be tuned or adjusted.

Even if the customization is small it would be fun. The problem with custom stuff is it could be hard to balance if it provides too much advantage.
  • Two things:

1) Customization of gear generally results in gear being more important than the characters.
    2) Customization of gear requires a lot more testing and resources, which usually results in many more imbalances.
    Team iNstinct -- teaminstinct.net
  • OmarFPG
    458 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    I agree with your general point. I'll quote myself from the Devs Q&A post, my eleventh question was the following:
    OmarFPG wrote: »
    Any plans on adjusting the gearing for the toons? Some times there isn't much logic on some pieces for some characters. And having every single character be universally the same in the end is kind of boring. I wish we could customize and gear our toons more appropriately, and have them match our needs and likes, making them more ours, more unique. In other MMORPGs you have lots of gear to choose from and you go with whatever suits you better. Or different skill trees, etc.
    548-145-651 | Playing since Dec 28th (:
  • Harmonica wrote: »
    Two things:

1) Customization of gear generally results in gear being more important than the characters.
    2) Customization of gear requires a lot more testing and resources, which usually results in many more imbalances.

With the amount of cash pouring in as a highest grossing app in the play store I doubt resources are a problem unless this is a simple cash grab duping whales and the majority of players into thinking this is a good investment in the long run. Games have been balancing gear / talents / compositions for decades. I don't see how this couldn't be internally tested until its at an acceptable balance. The gear system in its current state is kind of embarrassing the way it is, and a HUGE red flag saying "we didn't care about this but felt it should be here....to make you use energy".
  • Harmonica
    541 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    HanSlowMo wrote: »
    Harmonica wrote: »
    Two things:

With the amount of cash pouring in as a highest grossing app in the play store I doubt resources are a problem unless this is a simple cash grab duping whales and the majority of players into thinking this is a good investment in the long run. Games have been balancing gear / talents / compositions for decades. I don't see how this couldn't be internally tested until its at an acceptable balance. The gear system in its current state is kind of embarrassing the way it is, and a HUGE red flag saying "we didn't care about this but felt it should be here....to make you use energy".

Although it should be expected, they didn't know how big the game would be. What if Episode VII was another bomb? The game will definitely have more resources now, which we have seen in other posts (hiring of more people to look for cheaters).

Game design has been done forever, but that doesn't mean it passes on from game to game. Every game must balance and test its design and skills and power levels. No matter how well a game has been tested, players always find ways to abuse it, this is true for almost every game in the history of video games. This will always happen, so long as machines are dumber than humans.

The gear system also allows for more parity between F2P and P2W players. It also is a revenue generator for them.

Stop being so negative and instead look for reasons why they might choose to smartly design the system instead of just trashing it. While it can and should be improved over time, there are some positives to it.

Team iNstinct -- teaminstinct.net
    Harmonica wrote: »
    Two things:

Although it should be expected, they didn't know how big the game would be. What if Episode VII was another bomb? The game will definitely have more resources now, which we have seen in other posts (hiring of more people to look for cheaters).

Game design has been done forever, but that doesn't mean it passes on from game to game. Every game must balance and test its design and skills and power levels. No matter how well a game has been tested, players always find ways to abuse it, this is true for almost every game in the history of video games. This will always happen, so long as machines are dumber than humans.

The gear system also allows for more parity between F2P and P2W players. It also is a revenue generator for them.

Stop being so negative and instead look for reasons why they might choose to smartly design the system instead of just trashing it. While it can and should be improved over time, there are some positives to it.

I'm only "trashing" it because quite frankly....it is kind of trash. It's an obvious energy gate and not even disguised to be a "fun" aspect of the design. Off the top of anyones head nobody even knows what the gear is called they are going after, or exactly where the gear can be farmed. It's the idea of spamming sim until a little purple shows up...then you have to do it 50 more times for one item. It's the idea of clicking an empty square, clicking on an empty slot, then clicking "find". I'm no stranger to a grind in games, I've had plenty...and I'm the odd sort that LOVES grinding for gear / heroes. What I don't love is needless grind, just so they can make me spend another 50 credits here, or another 100 there. I would have hoped the current system was a little more thought out...even in the naming structure of gear, or making some of the icons / stats / descriptions make sense. I'm not even calling out for a huge change in customizable gear or heroes. Just things that make sense. It's very very poorly designed.

Gear should be more than just a "revenue generator". What do you see as the positives of the current gear system? Besides the obvious fact that "the gear you get makes your guy stronger dur." Because even if that is the most obvious case, they could have done that better. If we are spending crystals (and for some gear it takes a LOT of crystals), we deserve something better than the current gearing system...
  • The *components* mean nothing, get 20 butt plugs and 50 hair dryers to get whatever, but the gear *levels* matter a lot.. Gear 7 is huge, as is gear 8.

This is where focus is key in this game, it would be nice for it to e pertinent, but it is not.. So just make up funny names for the components and okay it out. :D

• Rolf
    1032 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Yeah, thermal detonators were quite useful in KOTOR, but I can't see how it could be anything but an advantage for your opponents by stitching one to your armor/clothing, primed or not. :D
    From xkcd's "what-if?" section:

Q:"What if you strapped C4 to a boomerang? Could this be an effective weapon, or would it be as stupid as it sounds?"

A:"Aerodynamics aside, I’m curious what tactical advantage you’re expecting to gain by having the high explosive fly back at you if it misses the target."
    My ally code: 296-673-769. Wish we could have more than 35.

They didn't hire someone to look for cheaters. The mod has always worked at CG he was just work on their other game HODA. He was a mod on that forum.
  • I gotta be honest with you OP, the idea has some real value to it.
    Choosing different gear sets for different stats/boosts.

But I fear the game is slightly too casual for that and maybe would present many balancing issues.
    | John Salera is my favorite Sith Lord |