Guaranteed Crit vs. Crit Immunity

So which one wins?
I can see how Crit Immunity trumps Advantage, but the wording for Dengar's basic attack states "guaranteed crit". Enemy with Crit Immunity on them make it not "guaranteed".

So which is it, immune to crit or guaranteed to crit?

@EA_Jesse

Replies

• Malthael
    972 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    I believe its crit immunity. But haven't faced dengar in arena.
    Phasma's advantage doesn't.
  • Think of it like this. Your guaranteed critical hit is just that. A critical hit. It will always be a critical hit (assuming it hits), so it's a critical hit. Critical immunity, however, recognizes that you made a critical hit, then ignores the bonus critical damage and only accepts the original damage value. Did you still crit? Technically, yes. Did crit immunity prevent critical damage? Yes. So both happen. But immunity wins.

Source: it happens multiple times a day in ship battles. Ackbar's Seize The Advantage vs Mace's Hold Fast. And it's annoying when my buff is shrugged off, but it's exactly how it should be.
  • Agreed, except that Ackbar's ability applies Advantage.

Dengar's assist call doesn't give Advantage buff (i don't think), only that it states "guaranteed". I'm only raising he question because of the less than clear wording.
  • Crit immunity takes precedence over guaranteed crit. Had shoretrooper throw his crit immunity on my squad, shore had taunt dispelled, and anakin with advantage due to leadership ability jumps in with his aoe, no one was crit besides shoretrooper who did not have crit immunity.
  • Thanks. But I was more looking for clarification on what SHOULD be happening, so I can then determine if it s a bug or not.
  • Mageduckey
    699 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Agreed, except that Ackbar's ability applies Advantage.

Dengar's assist call doesn't give Advantage buff (i don't think), only that it states "guaranteed". I'm only raising he question because of the less than clear wording.

Except it's my understanding (based on this thread) that Advantage gives "guaranteed crit", not just "100% crit chance". I couldn't find early April update notes (Game Updates subforum only goes back to 4/24 part 2) to see what they're referencing, but in that thread they are treating Advantage as if it is guaranteed crit. Additionally, the dev response talks about other attacks being guaranteed crits.

Lastly - what's the difference between 100% crit chance and guaranteed crit, other than crit avoidance?
  • Another good question.

Does Crit Avoidance then give Advantage or Guaranteed Crit a chance to not crit?
    Does Accuracy give you a chance to hit through Foresight?

I think both answers should be YES, otherwise it weakens both Mod effects substantially.
  • No, because Foresight is a guaranteed dodge/deflect.

It doesn't make sense for crit avoidance (a "soft value") to prevent a guaranteed crit (a "hard value"), but for Advantage it depends on the answer to my first question. If it's 100%, then it could conceivably lower that. If it's guaranteed, then it would be the same Foresight example. However, I don't know the game code, so speculation is as far as I can go with this.