Ready to give up on ships

I was excited. I even *gasp* spent a little money. Not much but some. Then the reality of my shard took over.

My fleet power isn't great, but it doesn't stink either at 77k. It's not nearly enough to even break into the top 500 of my shard. If I can't do that then why bother? I'm in the lowest prize tier with little chance, unless I spend a lot, of ever keeping up with--even marginally-- the Joneses.

It's a bummer because I was and am still excited by it all. But the prospect of being at the bottom, despite consistent play, is depressing.

Replies

• Lol I already did I just stay in the 300-200 range and farm zam when she appears
  • Just invest in Biggs and win.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Just collect and buy 1 zeta every 2 months
  • It's likely that ships is going to expand beyond just arena at some point. I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of ship raid (or a ship phase added to another raid or something). What is currently there isn't all ships is going to be. There's a difference between giving up on ships and giving up on ship arena.
  • Gotta say, it is grinding on me a bit too. I went with Tarkin as my fleet commander because I already had him geared and levelled, but it's really feeling like a mistake. Literally only one ship that can get the full effectiveness from Tarkin's passive, barring Vader who I have no chance of getting.
  • It's true that ships will undoubtedly expand. I'll keep doing the dailies, etc, but for the foreseeable future it might just be a zeta farm. I guess there are worse things.
  • Death Star raid. Ships and toons.
  • Osik
    235 posts Member
    im struggling as well in arena, out of the top 400 now, but im gonna do my dailies and farm shards and hope that new content comes along besides arena where i can do well, im excited for slave one even tho im at 12/80, just keep grinding and wait for the meta to shift to tarkin...
  • I'm ranked 4234 in my shard. Just collecting fleet tokens to farm player shards. Its awesome
  • You need strong pilots. I haven't farmed ships hardly at all yet but can stay in top 200 because my pilots are maxed or close to maxed
  • Gotta say, it is grinding on me a bit too. I went with Tarkin as my fleet commander because I already had him geared and levelled, but it's really feeling like a mistake. Literally only one ship that can get the full effectiveness from Tarkin's passive, barring Vader who I have no chance of getting.

While I believe Tarkin is best with Vader and possibly shouldn't be run without him, FOTP loves to fly with Tarkin. He may not get the double bonus from the passive, but target locks are the most common debuff in ships and FOTP feeds off them for speed and consistent high damage. Again, you need Vader to make it soar, but FOTP definitely fits right in with the other TIEs.
  • Osik wrote: »
    im struggling as well in arena, out of the top 400 now, but im gonna do my dailies and farm shards and hope that new content comes along besides arena where i can do well, im excited for slave one even tho im at 12/80, just keep grinding and wait for the meta to shift to tarkin...

I think it might be a little early to say there's a meta. There are certain combos that work well that people are getting, but we're still figuring out what works best. However, for those who have Vader, "the meta" should be shifting to Tarkin any day now. The debuff focus of Tarkin and the offensive bent of his abilities provides a powerful attack that, when protected properly can be crushing.

If you don't have Vader....then be upset that CG released one of the strongest ships in the game (imho he's #1) via tournament. Brand new game and we're already releasing super strong guys in tournaments so hardly anyone gets him.
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    Don't give up!

(You'll never beat my team)
  • scuba
    14047 posts Member
    I don't really see a ships meta right now.
    Most arena battles are hit auto and manually change your targets and hope the battle doesn't time out.
  • Must be different for level 85, level 68 here and I rarely go below 3 minutes in fights with manual ability selection (though I do auto the animations)
  • scuba wrote: »
    I don't really see a ships meta right now.
    Most arena battles are hit auto and manually change your targets and hope the battle doesn't time out.
    Hit auto & hope it finishes before the game crashes. Out of 50 possible battles over 10 days I've won 31, lost 1 & had 18 crash on me (: A lot of those I was on the brink of winning. Several crashed right at the start of the battles but most wereat the end so the longer It goes the higher the chance it will crash so I can't go manual even though I want to.
  • Likely it's because your pilots arent as upgraded... Thats the thing about ships is it isn't stand alone. So those of us with more developed rosters have a significant advantage in ships. Just keep developing your roster!
  • I like the whole idea of ships and I'm Defo in the minority in my guild, most of them love it but for me, I just find it too much to concentrate on and the gameplay seems long winded.

What would be great is if ships had no effect on your normal game, the zetas for instance, shouldn't be hidden behind ships. I'm guessing I can't be alone in thinking that the 2 should be kept seperate. I love this game, grind and all but I kinda feel like it's heading somewhere where you absolutely have to do both or your game goes down the pan.
  • If they didn't have zetas behind ships, how many people would actually play with it? The fewer people that play with it, the fewer people there are to spend money on it. It's a pretty big "expansion" (I'm just gonna start calling it that) to the game, so they have to make the money they've earned from their work. Making end-game upgrades require ships ensures they get participation from most everyone, boosting sales.
  • In one breath some of you are saying you give up and in the next that you're using fleet to farm character shards... Do you see a link?

Use guild war, fleet shipments & even some cantina & HMs to farm ship blueprints you can only be competitive if you invest in them... It will take some time but there's what 20 ships out atm 18 of which you can farm ... So maybe you're behind for a month after that you'll be in the top lot due to your ship farming.

Like anything in this game if you put the work in then you'll see results. I've put on to get a ship package but I've been top 200 everyday and top 100 past two days.
  • OrigamiCrane
    50 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    My problem with ships is I find fights really boring, not being able to be in the first positions is not an issue
  • We were told well in advance that the update was coming and to work on the 3 main pilots, so there's no real excuse to not have AA/Tarkin/Mace plussed-up some. I spent a little bit of money on Black Friday deals to help out, but not much. I'm comfortably around 100 in my shard with power at about 90K, trying to get below 100 to get the higher rewards. It's nice to have something that's not an automatic win (like most everything else if you've been playing for a long time) or so mind-numbingly draining (Tank Takedown) and not worth it. I'm enjoying the ships aspect and concentrating on characters that I wasn't otherwise working on (FOTP/TFP/Clone Sgt/Plo Koon). Also, you can't beat that you can get Vader, Rex, Sun Fac, and Maul shards. It may take a while, but there's virtually no one that's off-limits in the game anymore and only available to the whales.
  • Saraleb
    2070 posts Member
    What I dont like is the length of time it takes... 6+ mins for one battle... thats only going to get longer with more reinforcements coming along... really not sure how a battle is ever going to finish when each players has effectivey 9 ships per battle
  • Likely it's because your pilots arent as upgraded... Thats the thing about ships is it isn't stand alone. So those of us with more developed rosters have a significant advantage in ships. Just keep developing your roster!

This exactly. Also ships are no different than any other part of the game. Those who spend see the results more quickly look at:

Arena: Those who spend can change with the meta more quickly thus being ahead until others catch up

GW: Those who spend have deeper, more developed rosters to slug it out with 6-8 brutal nodes thus completing daily.

Raids: Those who spent have stronger characters in higher number and more likely to have phase specific teams, thus being ahead on the curve damage wise.

Cap Rise: Those who spend level up quicker gaining access to the new character farms, omega farms, and higher challenge tiers faster, thus helping in the above areas.

Ships: Those who spent jumped out ahead with fleet size and can run synergy builds that are brutal to beat and have higher power, level, and star ships. Also back to roster they likely have more high level pilots and will get those not there to that level more quickly.

I remember when I started the game, day one. The spenders blew out in front of me. I could not touch arena. I beat my first GW then lost my next 10 being matched most of it with those at the cap(60) with several star levels above me. At that point I decided I liked the game enough and I dumped a good chunk of change in there and went to cap fast and expanded and grew my roster ultra fast and caught up and went to 1 in arena, and fought daily for it. Crushed GW. Point being that spending sped me up big time. I know several F2P that started out early in the game that have great rosters, battle for 1 on their shards, nail GW, and are building the core of what will be a great ship fleet.

Don't give up on ships. Those of us sitting up there, all we bought was a head start. Some because they like to be ahead, others like to see themselves up top. Some because they love Star Wars and the game. Then others who are not patient and want it now. Lastly those who said, omg these are cool I must have and were kids in a candy shop. For me it was a blend of the last 3. No patience, self control, and love the game and Star Wars.

Hang in there. I'll be happy to help anyone looking for farm tips, just PM me.
  • Saraleb wrote: »
    What I dont like is the length of time it takes... 6+ mins for one battle... thats only going to get longer with more reinforcements coming along... really not sure how a battle is ever going to finish when each players has effectivey 9 ships per battle

Thing is, there's a cooldown on calling in reinforcements. Until speed killing becomes the meta (it's bound to at some point as it's the most effective way to win), I'm not sure if I see all 4 reinforcements getting used. Maybe they will - this is pure speculation. But even if they are, by that point I'd imagine the speed killing is fast enough to accommodate one extra ship.
This discussion has been closed.