It's time to reduce the gear crunch

Snake2
1455 posts Member
I had finally decided to gear my 4* shoretrooper a few days ago. I made the determination he'd be necessary in arena to hold rank. Since I made that decision, 3 or 4 characters have been released, with more on the way.

My shore is g8. It will take 28 straight days of farming stun guns, arrays, and detonators to reach g11. That includes challenges and donations. Who knows what the meta will look like in a month, what new characters will be released/adjusted to render my month long plan fruitless? I'd like to gear my new sf. He needs all the same stuff. That's another month I'm sure.

I like the idea of this being a collectible game and possibly never collecting everything. I just think with the increased gear levels and onslaught of new characters, it's gotten to be a bit much. I think something should be done to help characters reach g10 (relatively) quickly. 11 can still be a higher wall if necessary.

Let me know if you agree or disagree.

Replies

• I agree that gear 10 jeeps to be easier to reach, especially with G12 on its way :*
  • sying
    982 posts Member
    And here everyone thought the credit crunch was bad. Little did those complainers know that the gates were gear and not credits.

• sying wrote: »
    And here everyone thought the credit crunch was bad. Little did those complainers know that the gates were gear and not credits.

Well the training droids is what makes the credit crunch
  • Snake2
    1455 posts Member
    sying wrote: »

Many months ago I argued the credit crunch was bad and the gear crunch was ok. (I still think it was at the time.)

Things have now changed, imo.
  • Yup, there are enough bottlenecks now without the need to make gear such a big one.

• I don't know. Yes it sucks spending a week on one stun cuff. But imagine if it was easy to get all the gear. Everyone has a max gear set of toons with nothing to do. People would get bored and leave the game. As it is, they are adding more choices to get gear and shards. Ship currency can be used to obtain cuffs, ship shards, character shards, ability mats, zetas. You have to choose. Do you want to be top in ships, or farm the cuffs from ship currency.

I say they have have reduced the gear crunch if you choose to use ship currency in that manner.
  • IDobaFett wrote: »
    I don't know. Yes it sucks spending a week on one stun cuff. But imagine if it was easy to get all the gear. Everyone has a max gear set of toons with nothing to do. People would get bored and leave the game. As it is, they are adding more choices to get gear and shards. Ship currency can be used to obtain cuffs, ship shards, character shards, ability mats, zetas. You have to choose. Do you want to be top in ships, or farm the cuffs from ship currency.

I say they have have reduced the gear crunch if you choose to use ship currency in that manner.

People are getting bored having to wait around a month to max a toon. They should add G12 and reduce the cost to get to G10 IMO.
  • I feel both the credit and gear crunch sadly lol
  • Snake2
    1455 posts Member
    IDobaFett wrote: »
    I don't know. Yes it sucks spending a week on one stun cuff. But imagine if it was easy to get all the gear. Everyone has a max gear set of toons with nothing to do. People would get bored and leave the game. As it is, they are adding more choices to get gear and shards. Ship currency can be used to obtain cuffs, ship shards, character shards, ability mats, zetas. You have to choose. Do you want to be top in ships, or farm the cuffs from ship currency.

I appreciate this message. I am not arguing to make it easy to get to max gear and max all the characters, as you say. I simply think it should be easier than it is now, and I personally don't think sacrificing ships should be the way to go about it.
  • djvita
    1684 posts Member
    getting to g7 is easy barely sweat,
    its purple gear on that makes it harder, specially the gear everyone needs
    cuffs carbantis holoprojectos stungun
    mk5 generator mk4 comlink raid gear
    then at g10 the new gold/purple gear
  • IDobaFett wrote: »

It's a huge canyon between speeding up progression a bit and the picture you paint of everyone instantly having maxed out rosters. The purse strings need to be loosened on lower gear levels.
  • I would be marginally happier with a better drop rate on blue gear, but it still would not have a measurable effect on the 3 years of gear farming I am currently looking at. A 10% boost in purple drops would be a welcome change and still would have little impact on the time required to gear up my characters.
  • I don't think the problem is the gear crunch, I think the problem is the possibility of too many new characters coming too quickly making farming seem like chasing your own tail. I don't mind farming a long time for something I believe will hold its value. Different story if things depreciate too rapidly (ask any swfc player).
  • @Snake2 I couldn't agree more. Maybe They could fix challenge awards, adding in cuffs, guns, and detonators. That would be a huge help. And maybe increase the purple drop rate. I'm not asking to be nuts, but maybe 1in 3 instead of 1 in 5. If they want a gear wall, use raid gear and g12 stuff.
  • scuba
    14040 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    You didn't listen to the interview.. There is no gear crunch. Everything you need is in... Galactic Gear packs
  • +1 on reducing gear crunch
  • djvita
    1684 posts Member
    scuba wrote: »
    You didn't listen to the interview.. There is no gear crunch. Everything you need is in... Galactic Gear packs

tumblr_n25umksbBJ1qc8jh0o1_500.gif

yep the solution is shipments, refresh and gear up like a whale. even buying a single stun cuff puts you ahead, when it comes from going from g8 to g9
  • benacrow
    2700 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/80260/the-gear-grind-a-problem-of-supply-vs-demand#latest

Edit: Read this. The thread I made on the gear grind that got moved to the Feedback section so the devs can see it.
    FN 2187, Mighty Chlorians (spelt with a lowercase l not a capital I): Heroic AAT Guide, The Gear Grind
  • Snake2
    1455 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    benacrow wrote: »
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/80260/the-gear-grind-a-problem-of-supply-vs-demand#latest

Edit: Read this. The thread I made on the gear grind that got moved to the Feedback section so the devs can see it.

Thanks I commented in yours as well. Hopefully they read general as well...

Edit: I see this was moved to squad and character strategy. This has absolutely nothing to do with strategy. Please learn to read before moving things.
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    The game is a collection...true. But a discriminating collector understands they will NEVER have everything. Collect what u want for Arena, use what u already have for Fleets and lvl what u must for raids. If u stop there instead of trying to 7* everyone, participate in every tourney, get everyone to gear XI...u will enjoy the game a lot more and complain a lot less.

I am not f2p by any means. This game has well over 1k of my hard-earned money. $400 of that went for 7* Echo and 7* Rex (only 2 toons i ever bought). Still, far more than i ever thought it would. I still have only 2 solid AAT teams for Heroic, don't have SunFac, or Wiggs...but i never liked rebels, or chasing the meta.

Still stay top 10 in arena, still 1st at payout, top 5 in fleets and the 1 toon i am working on now (Boba) is gear X and in desperate need of better mods and gear XI, but it will come in time. Am i trying to lvl any new rebels ? No. Am i working on more than 1 toon ? No. Am i in every tourney ? No, not competitively anyways. I tried in 2 tourneys....both Shore. Have him at 5* and he is just fine.

I am waiting for someone i really want in tourneys...Jedi Luke, Mother Talzin, a big-name Sith like Naga Sadow or Darth Sion. Until then, i will horde my points and 7* who i want when i see them.
  • Snake2
    1455 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Poxx wrote: »
    The game is a collection...true. But a discriminating collector understands they will NEVER have everything. Collect what u want for Arena, use what u already have for Fleets and lvl what u must for raids. If u stop there instead of trying to 7* everyone, participate in every tourney, get everyone to gear XI...u will enjoy the game a lot more and complain a lot less.

I am not f2p by any means. This game has well over 1k of my hard-earned money. $400 of that went for 7* Echo and 7* Rex (only 2 toons i ever bought). Still, far more than i ever thought it would. I still have only 2 solid AAT teams for Heroic, don't have SunFac, or Wiggs...but i never liked rebels, or chasing the meta.

Still stay top 10 in arena, still 1st at payout, top 5 in fleets and the 1 toon i am working on now (Boba) is gear X and in desperate need of better mods and gear XI, but it will come in time. Am i trying to lvl any new rebels ? No. Am i working on more than 1 toon ? No. Am i in every tourney ? No, not competitively anyways. I tried in 2 tourneys....both Shore. Have him at 5* and he is just fine.

I don't participate in tournaments, or bother with making messages about them. I stopped after the last shoreT one. They are what they are.

I have played this game for almost a year now. I know how it goes. I don't make this post from a complainers point of view. I make it as a suggestion for the health of the game. I enjoy it, I want it to stay popular. I believe the current gear wall needs to be adjusted to keep other players from getting discouraged and potentially giving up on the game.
  • They will definitely need to do something about the gear crunch (and adding it to the fleet store at terrible exchange rates is not gonna cut it). Absolutely nothing will kill this game faster or more completely than reaching a point where characters get made obsolete by power creep faster than non-whales can hope to gear them up; that situation leads to so much uncertainty, and so much inability to plan and strategize, that players will never have any idea who to work on. At that point, players will just think "why bother trying to guess?" and quit in massive numbers. I've seen it happen in other games. We've made some alarming strides towards that point recently and while I hope power creep will slow wayyyy back down again once we're on the other side of all the Rogue One promo stuff, the other important component is reducing the time to do the earlier gear levels.

It's especially true for gear pieces that are needed at early levels *and* later on; the need for those pieces is increasing exponentially every time we get a new gear level added to the game (I'm looking at you, Mk3 Holo Projectors) while the drop rate remains constant. Not only does that situation frustrate us long-timers, it also ensures that new players can never possibly hope to catch up, which isn't good for the long-term playerbase population.