Making Squad Tournaments Interesting and Fun

Prev13456710
It seems the consensus on the forums is that tournaments are a boring slog, at best. Saying we don't like them, however, has not generated a response (aside from overloading us with more and more tournaments).

For other things, the forums were pretty much in agreement that AAT took too long, Boba Fett and other characters are underpowered, and tournament refreshes costing crystals was ridiculous. All of these things were addressed, within about a month.

What's the difference? Specifics. Ideas about how to make something better. So, without further ado, here are my ideas for making the Squad Tournaments better:

1. Make the defensive squad matter.
Examples:
Defenders gain points for each defensive win.
Institute a separate ranking with separate rewards for defensive rank.

2. Create restrictions in squad building that break up the monotony
Examples:
Defensive squad toons cannot be used in offense.
Offensive toons must be rebels, while defensive toons must be empire. (or scoundrels/empire, or jedi/separatist, or jawa/droid, etc)

3. Throw in extra rules to break up the monotony
Examples:
All units, except the squad leader, start the match stealthed.
All units start the match with a 4 turn, non-dispellable thermal detonator debuff.
Taunt buffs are replaced by offense up buffs.
Etc.

What are your thoughts?
Enthusiast of undervalued toons, general dismisser of trends,
https://swgoh.gg/u/arkham/, A Team

Replies

• Azn_sensashun
    137 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    I'm not sure if there's a posted discussion already on this.

What do you guys think and what is your experience for those who have tried and purchased the Shoretrooper pack? How is your drop rate because everybody in my guild is only getting the 10 shards per drop. Is anyone getting anything better and do you guys think it is worth leveling him up with 1,499 per purchase?
  • I bought a few. Only got 10 shards. I don't think it's worth it.

Chondrosarcoma- Chondro3150#0907
  • im just gonna buy 1..cause i only need 10 shards to unlock him
  • It *might* be worth it if the other character was not an easy farm. Shoretrooper and Chirrut or Baze would have people opening their wallets left and right. If you have a 3* Shoretrooper, you can probably finish him off for 1-2 vaults - which is about what Aurodium characters went for. You'd have to compare this to current Chromium drop rates although you do know what you are getting with this pack.

So, the question becomes is Shoretrooper worth $100-$200? For the same money, you can get 10-20 pieces of high end fully crafted gear - some raid exclusive.

Here's what's a far better use of 1 to 2 vaults - 499 crystal Fleet Data Cards. These drop 10-100 blueprints for ships. There's a limited number of ships, and I can tell you from experience that you can get 100 blueprints from a single card.

One other thing that I would use crystals for over Shoretrooper is Mod Packs. These are higher risk, but for 599, I usually got at least one decent mod (defined as 3* blue or better with desirable stats). A 3* blue mod goes for about 600 crystals in mod shipments.

I'll give you one last alternative - Cantina Refreshes. Let's say that you want to aggressively farm one of the multitude of Cantina Node characters (e.g. TIE Fighter Pilot). You could do 4 refreshes a day for 50 days for two vaults of crystals. For TIE Fighter Pilot that's 48 sims per day. If you get a 33% drop rate, that's 16 shards a day. You would get to 330 in about 21 days - actually less when you factor in the 165 Cantina Energy the game gives you each day. For Lando or SRP, it would be 60 sims per day or 20 shards a day - about 17 days. Finally, Wedge, would be 40 sims a day or 13 shards - about 25 days. You could be miserly with your crystals, and only do 2 refreshes a day and get three times the characters, but in 100 days.

You see, there's a lot of ways to spend those crystals. I've done everything that I've listed since I started playing the game, but all of they wind up being spread out over time.

What's going to be the most valuable to you?
  • I assume you only have like a 10% chance to get more than 10 shards per pack. That makes it not worth it to me
  • I have android so got the free pack. Got 10 shards of the pathfinder and 20 for the trooper. Got lucky cause I needed 15 to unlock him. But I think those packs are so not worth it.
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    If they removed the credits and droids and made it like 500 crystals I would be all over it. I'm guessing the sales for the credit and droid packs died after the heists were added so they're forcing ppl to buy some along with the shards they desperately want.
  • Is Cassian's u-wing different from Bistan & SRP's u-wing?
  • Yes read description
  • Where is the description for a new ship?
  • Same ship but description of differences is with the pilot
  • So android users got a free character that will help them with 3 of the new upcoming events???? Droid will help with attack of the droids. Rebel will help with military might and emporers demise.....
  • Roguebun
    31 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    That's messed up. It's just the gift that keeps on giving for android users.
  • You guys got some stuff this year too. The Ewok thing gave iOs users a huge advantage back in the summer. I am surprised that they didnt give you all CassianAndor tho. I thought theyd treat it like the FO Trooper/ResistanceTrooper thing last year when Ep.8 released...one for each side. Im sure something is coming & itll trump this K-bot. So far he blows, so youre not missing much
  • xReDeMpx
    1690 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    EasyRight wrote: »
    You guys got some stuff this year too. The Ewok thing gave iOs users a huge advantage back in the summer. I am surprised that they didnt give you all CassianAndor tho. I thought theyd treat it like the FO Trooper/ResistanceTrooper thing last year when Ep.8 released...one for each side. Im sure something is coming & itll trump this K-bot. So far he blows, so youre not missing much

Lollllll once again free shards dosent equal an exclusive toon that the other side can't get especially with a tournament to unlock synergy with that cassian and you know YOUR exclusive toon on top of giving an advantage because of rebels on military might emperors demise and the tourney but you're right we aren't missing much

Man people can't see the big picture
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    How many people are actually going to unlock Cassian in the tournament? And with enough stars to be actually useful?
  • Olga wrote: »
    How many people are actually going to unlock Cassian in the tournament? And with enough stars to be actually useful?

Doesn't matter because they can get him from packs and have their android exclusive synergy.
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    Good point. He is looking beastly, I'll admit.
  • yeah ios got nothing :)
  • Nothing good about the upcoming events...
    Tournaments, Omega and events that requires droids, so android got the advantage.. Sometimes i feel like the devs are trolling us :(
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    I currently only have 4 droids, so i could have used that 5th one for that event.
    But it's not like one 7* char is going to influence tournament ranking that much. I also don't think there are alot of players out there that needed K2 as their 5th rebel, most people had 5 or more rebels already.
    Lets not make it a bigger issue than it needs to be. (i'm an iOS user in case you were wondering)
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • leef wrote: »
    I currently only have 4 droids, so i could have used that 5th one for that event.
    But it's not like one 7* char is going to influence tournament ranking that much. I also don't think there are alot of players out there that needed K2 as their 5th rebel, most people had 5 or more rebels already.
    Lets not make it a bigger issue than it needs to be. (i'm an iOS user in case you were wondering)

iOS user too and i'm actually happy that they are giving freebies to ppl who are otherwise handicapping themselves with thei androids.
  • K2SO is not optimal for Empire Assault
  • xReDeMpx wrote: »
    EasyRight wrote: »
    You guys got some stuff this year too. The Ewok thing gave iOs users a huge advantage back in the summer. I am surprised that they didnt give you all CassianAndor tho. I thought theyd treat it like the FO Trooper/ResistanceTrooper thing last year when Ep.8 released...one for each side. Im sure something is coming & itll trump this K-bot. So far he blows, so youre not missing much

Lollllll once again free shards dosent equal an exclusive toon that the other side can't get especially with a tournament to unlock synergy with that cassian and you know YOUR exclusive toon on top of giving an advantage because of rebels on military might emperors demise and the tourney but you're right we aren't missing much

Man people can't see the big picture

I can see the big picture just fine through my Android phone.
  • EasyRight wrote: »
    You guys got some stuff this year too. The Ewok thing gave iOs users a huge advantage back in the summer.

Huge advantage? That is questionable. The ewok event took place in April, before guilds and the raid. It was not known at this stage that ewoks would be raid MVP's.

The event required minimum 3 ewoks at 2* for tier 1, rising to 4* for tier 2 and 6* for tier 3. I doubt many ios users had the requirements for tier 2, let alone tier 3, when this was released.

There were starter and booster shard packs released to support this event. These both cost money; none were given away free.

And this event occurred after Android had the exclusive 'Droids Fight Back' event in March (albeit this has featured on both platforms now). This had the same team requirements as the ewok event, although droids were easier to star up at the that stage of the game. And I remember droids being a lot more popular than ewoks at the beginning of 2016
  • EasyRight wrote: »
    You guys got some stuff this year too. The Ewok thing gave iOs users a huge advantage back in the summer.

Huge advantage? That is questionable. The ewok event took place in April, before guilds and the raid. It was not known at this stage that ewoks would be raid MVP's.

The event required minimum 3 ewoks at 2* for tier 1, rising to 4* for tier 2 and 6* for tier 3. I doubt many ios users had the requirements for tier 2, let alone tier 3, when this was released.

There were starter and booster shard packs released to support this event. These both cost money; none were given away free.

And this event occurred after Android had the exclusive 'Droids Fight Back' event in March (albeit this has featured on both platforms now). This had the same team requirements as the ewok event, although droids were easier to star up at the that stage of the game. And I remember droids being a lot more popular than ewoks at the beginning of 2016

This :)
  • Wait. How many of those new events are Android only? Or will EA/CG wait until the event launches before informing us lowly iOS players that we can't participate?
  • Olga
    1333 posts Member
    Yeah I think so
  • Does Anyone actually enjoy these? The first one was decent because it was something new. The second time I began to get tired of it already. I don't know why they keep spamming us with tournys when nobody enjoys them. At Least make them 24 hours and not two days. But please maybe figure out a better way to release new toons where not only 1 person out of thousands can get them 7*.