Why are credits so sparse and always in demand?

DarthBarron
339 posts Member
edited December 2016
With another credit heist for me in the books (Thank the Maker for 2.5 + 5M), I began to wonder, what is the business case for using credits to slow roster growth. It seems counter intuitive to me at this point, as gear is the true bottle neck to progression. I am sure there are some that use crystals for credits, or arena tokens, but my feeling tells me these are minority instances. After all, why level or star a toon that you don't have the gear for anyway?

Wouldn't it make more sense to provide more credits, which would lead to starring and leveling more characters, which puts gear in a greater demand, which should increase crystals purchases to get gear? Plus, the player base is more satisfied as they don't have to look at 250/65 under the progression bars of characters. It makes players feel like they are moving forward, even though they are bound to crash into a gear wall anyway.

Additionally, I would add a bonus or additional Tier to the Credit Heist. The last Tier has become very easy (auto play and maybe take 1 or 2 hits). Increase the difficulty and rewards, and include credits and ship building materials.

Just a thought.
Do or Do not.

DarthBarron (Kevin, aka KevWalker)
Post edited by ShaolinPunk on

Replies

• nubkin
    47 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    EA's business modal is income -- pay to win. The leveling in this game isn't for the poor. They want the focus on the grind and not on character synergy; the cost of developer time to balance out the current SWGOH roster is too steep.

Take a look at the top 100 teams in arena; at least for me, the majority of squads involve bigs, wedge, lando, sth, je, droids with the occasional wale setup.
    Post edited by ShaolinPunk on
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Isn't that already the case?
    For me it has been like that for a while, enough credits to promote, lvl and mod characters, but no gear. I've got a few 250/65 shard, lvl 1, gear 0 characters i could promote and level, but since i don't have enough gear to make them somewhat viable, i really don't see the point in doing so.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • The whales buy both gear and credits. And with the low crystal to credit conversion rates even a small percentage of whales comes to a very large amount of money.

The point of a freemium model game is to put as many roadblocks as possible in front of your players and make them as expensive to bypass as possible without causing too many paying players to quit. Since Star Wars is such an iconic franchise with so many adult fans they can set the price very steep indeed.

I don't blame EA/CG for trying to make as much money as they can, although I am pretty certain some of the stuff they do has to be counterproductive. I am just sort of sad that human nature makes these problems pretty much inevitable.
  • ShaolinPunk
    3486 posts Moderator
    edited December 2016
    So I understand, you're asking why the designers have made a progression speed what it is? Suggesting they change it to someone else's (a player's) personal preference?
    **Please tag me (@ShaolinPunk) if you need assistance.** My Collection. . My Poll.. Ally Code: 332-622-913 Discord: shaolin_punk#2107
  • Think when we didn't have Credit Heist and only really had GW and Dailies for Credits, we pretty much only had enough gear and credits for a very small and specific roster to try to develop, but now with Credit Heist we can support lvling and *ing more characters then we could before ...

... but with harder requirements for Higher lvl Gear for your top roster and still trying to add and gear up new characters they need to add a Gear Heist to go with the Credit Heist to get everything sped up to the same point, or maybe the Sped up Normal ATT Raid will start to help with that, or once you have more ship currency...

There are a few sources for gear now besides farming regular nodes, Shard Shop, Guild Store, Shipments (for crystals..), Fleet Shipments, but it seems people are farming for character shards before gear.

I've got to the point where i'd rather just work on my current roster, but they keep releasing characters that weren't farmable before and MUCH stronger NEW characters so it hard to keep up and stick with a set roster..

O
  • Orions wrote: »

There are a few sources for gear now besides farming regular nodes, Shard Shop, Guild Store, Shipments (for crystals..), Fleet Shipments, but it seems people are farming for character shards before gear.

I've got to the point where i'd rather just work on my current roster, but they keep releasing characters that weren't farmable before and MUCH stronger NEW characters so it hard to keep up and stick with a set roster..

O

I want to be competitive but the system is stacked otherwise. If you want to unlock all the mod challenges you've to neglect your raid and arena roster. If you want to focus on your raid roster, you've to neglect your arena roster.

Another huge problem is the shared gear mats. Why on earth do I've 100's if not 1,000's of Tac gear? I should be able to gear out a healer, tank and dps at the exact same time.
  • If you're still having trouble managing your credits, something is wrong. Between 3-4 Rancor Raids per week, 2 - 3 tank raids per week, tournaments, galactic war, credit heist, arena payouts, and energy spends, no one should be having any kind of bottleneck with credits.

Credits are plentiful.

Ship credits on the other hand...
  • nubkin wrote: »
    Orions wrote: »

O

I want to be competitive but the system is stacked otherwise. If you want to unlock all the mod challenges you've to neglect your raid and arena roster. If you want to focus on your raid roster, you've to neglect your arena roster.

Another huge problem is the shared gear mats. Why on earth do I've 100's if not 1,000's of Tac gear? I should be able to gear out a healer, tank and dps at the exact same time.

Forcing you to prioritize which characters to advance is the best business model. Either you prioritize and advance characters slowly (which is totally reasonable and viable) or you spend money to advance all of them more quickly (also totally viable).

The rate at which new characters comes out is for the folks who spend money to max their characters quickly so they have something to work towards, the rest of us have enough content to be engaged for a long time, we just might not have the best team for every bit of content.

I think that's where the fun and longevity of a game like this comes from, a good balance for spenders and free players to have an engaging experience.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    nubkin wrote: »

O

The system is "stacked otherwise"? I'd say it's stacked perfectly to be competative. Can't do it all, but your competitors can't either. chose carefully what to neglect and where to focus in order out-perform your enemies.
  • Orions
    269 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    nubkin wrote: »

O

Kinda

Max Arena Team best I can, then ride that for a month or so only small tweaking, then focus on Raid Characters for a Few Weeks, then a few Mod Characters for a few weeks, back to Arena...

I've been doing this since I started and I gradually got pieces of teams, after a little longer I had full teams, Scoundrels, Rebels, Empire, Jawas, Droids(finally), Jedi (first Arena Team/LS Team was full Jedi, Now my Arena team currently has 0 Jedi, how things change..)

Can farm characters in part for Mod Challenges since they don't need to be maxed to complete the highest tier, and mixed with a few strong characters I use regular the only Mod Challenge left for me is Speed..

It takes a bit, but after working a game plan or re-worked game plan of who to lvl and gear your roster will form up, but you have to be patient and be willing to fall a bit before you can build back up again (Arena).

O
  • credits I have.
    Training droids on the otherhand, NOPE
  • So I understand, you're asking why the designers have made a progression speed what it is? Suggesting they change it to someone else's (a player's) personal preference?

To be fair, I think his question is why does it seem that there is not a single gate to progression speed (which is the case in most games - and sufficient) - but why are there multiple gates (i.e. credits AND shards AND gear AND tournaments, etc.). I think it's a fair question.

Honestly, I think the simple answer is EA is smart(?) enough to realize, if they can make whales pay to jump one hurdle, why not male them pay to jump two? or four?

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • BlackV wrote: »
    credits I have.
    Training droids on the otherhand, NOPE

how is that even...
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    So I understand, you're asking why the designers have made a progression speed what it is? Suggesting they change it to someone else's (a player's) personal preference?

To be fair, I think his question is why does it seem that there is not a single gate to progression speed (which is the case in most games - and sufficient) - but why are there multiple gates (i.e. credits AND shards AND gear AND tournaments, etc.). I think it's a fair question.

Honestly, I think the simple answer is EA is smart(?) enough to realize, if they can make whales pay to jump one hurdle, why not male them pay to jump two? or four?

Correct - I was simply asking what is the benefit to limiting credits as much as they currently are limited (somewhere between 12 - 15M weekly - rough guess - and assuming a heist occurs). Progression is already throttled by shard farming and bottle necked by gear. Does the introduction of a third bottleneck really help that much or would releasing the bottleneck spur spending to the help ease the gear bottle neck?
    Do or Do not.

• I have had too many credits since I started playing. At the moment 4.5m in training droids and almost 13.7m credits... I think it just depends on what you invest them in
  • I gotta ask-is the amount you get greatly weighted towards just one amount? I do the one where you can get up to 5 mill, and 99% of the time I always wind up getting 1.25 mill. ONCE I got the 5 mill-which vanished 5 minutes later, but, still, I'm not asking to get less than 1.25 vs the minimum of 750K, but, it's weird that save once, that's the only amount I've ever gotten. Not 2 mill, or 2.5, or 3 mill, or even 4.
  • Learn how to manage your resources. I've got 11mil in creds saved. Are all my characters fully leveled and geared? No. Only my top toons I use. I'm saving some for EP when I get him and have extra I can use for mods or to bring another character up if I want to change squads a bit. Or maybe a new toon will come out and I can use them there. Speaking of EP I've got every piece of gear ready to get to gear10+. Manage your resources on who deserves it. Then you'll have extra to play with.
  • @Apoc88 With due respect, you're missing the point. I currently have 10+M and never let the balance fall below 5M. I hoard gear and crystals until the have a place of value to put them and a reason to put them there. I have my 5* EP to LvL 85, G10 and a G11 Rebel squad ready to finish the job. I focused resources on a F2P arena team that is averaging top 5 finishes daily. This is not about allocation of resources. This is about whether credit flow should be as strict as it is, and if supplying more credits will make the player base happier and have an effect that more people purchase crystals to get gear.
    Do or Do not.

• My 5 million cedits got me four upgrades to 5* from 4*, four mods from level 12 to 15, and one character from level 75 to 85. That's it. Now I have to wait another week and a half to get equally meaningless progress. Yay! Meanwhile, I need to get another 10 characters to the point where I can contribute in heroic Tank Raid, and I have no way to make significant progress. Anyone not experiencing a credit crunch is either a) already well-established in the heroic Tank Raid, or b) playing casually and in a totally different situation from people trying to field a heroic Tank Raid squad.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Mr_Eel wrote: »
    Anyone not experiencing a credit crunch is either a) already well-established in the heroic Tank Raid, or b) playing casually and in a totally different situation from people trying to field a heroic Tank Raid squad.

assumptions. I'm not doing heroic, but credits are not holding me back, gear is. I don't see that option anywhere.

• nubkin wrote: »

O

That's why you work on characters that are viable in multiple areas of the game, some of the best raid squads are also top tier arena and GW squads
    https://swgoh.gg/u/trey 66/
    Make Zader Great Again!
  • To answer the title of this post, it's to reflect the real world
  • Orions wrote: »
    Think when we didn't have Credit Heist and only really had GW and Dailies for Credits, we pretty much only had enough gear and credits for a very small and specific roster to try to develop, but now with Credit Heist we can support lvling and *ing more characters then we could before ...

... but with harder requirements for Higher lvl Gear for your top roster and still trying to add and gear up new characters they need to add a Gear Heist to go with the Credit Heist to get everything sped up to the same point, or maybe the Sped up Normal ATT Raid will start to help with that, or once you have more ship currency...

O

With all the additions to the game, such as mods & new char, I don't feel we're any better or worse off then when we didn't have a regular heist. The need for credits has increased far more than their added credits.
  • @Apoc88 With due respect, you're missing the point. I currently have 10+M and never let the balance fall below 5M. I hoard gear and crystals until the have a place of value to put them and a reason to put them there. I have my 5* EP to LvL 85, G10 and a G11 Rebel squad ready to finish the job. I focused resources on a F2P arena team that is averaging top 5 finishes daily. This is not about allocation of resources. This is about whether credit flow should be as strict as it is, and if supplying more credits will make the player base happier and have an effect that more people purchase crystals to get gear.

Yes but the point of the game is not to be given everything you need. Everyone wants everything free. Why didn't I get the character or why are stun cuffs so hard to get?! Giving everyone unlimited credits, gear, etc takes away from the game. Credit flow isn't that strict imo. But I'm also more end game now. I went through the credit shortage, couldn't level up my characters or promote them because not having the creds. And I lived through it. So I must respectfully disagree as I agree with how credits are issued. As I agree with pretty much everything in the game. Do I want more credits? Of course! Do I want all the new Rogue1 toons in shipments somewhere? Heck yeah but I'm not going to complain and I'll patiently wait for them to be available. No disrespect btw just my opinion.
  • So I understand, you're asking why the designers have made a progression speed what it is? Suggesting they change it to someone else's (a player's) personal preference?

I have plenty of credits. 7m right meow. I have 30 characters to get from 80-85. 30 characters with level 1 mods. 15 characters to get from 60-80(5). F2p since august, and I feel behhind. But no so far that a few arena shipments spent on credits wouldnt catch me up, but i need to get my droid teeam squared away. The credit wall isnt debilitating, but it is a big hump for low to nonspenders to vault over. WAI