How to fix Chirrut and Baze (Chaze)

STRIKEBOMB
1232 posts Member
edited December 2016
As pretty much everyone in the game knows, Chaze is op as crap. Just watch this video if you don't believe me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPnS7kVmVd8&feature=youtu.be
This shouldn't be possible against a fully geared/modded empire team in the top 10 of arena. Because of this, they have to be nerfed. Just the 2 of them alone make so many other characters in the game pretty much useless (Ex: B2, Rex, Ackbar, Barris, and pretty much any healer). So here's my suggestions on how to nerf Chirrut and Baze, while still making them very viable in arena. First of all, change Chirrut's Resolute Endurance to be a leader ability. Unique abilities should not affect every ally or an entire faction. Instead, it should only affect a partner or just themselves (I know Cassian Andor also has a unique ability like this but this post isn't about him). This especially applies if the affect is game changing, as in Chirrut's case. So, changing Chirrut's Resolute Endurance to a leader ability doesn't necessarily mean he loses this affect in fights, but it definitely makes it more balanced since he will need to be the leader. Next thing to change for Chirrut is his As the Force Will. This ability is very op because it combines 2 very strong effects into 1 move: a health equalizer and a cleanse. So my fix to this would be to get rid of the cleanse part of this. Afterall, he is a "balanced attacker" and not a support or healer so why should he even have this ability in the first place? My fix for Baze would be to change his Unload ability so that it no longer removes buffs on enemies. This attack is still extremely good because empire enemies and non-buffed enemies still lose a massive chunk of their health, plus this is an AoE attack so this affect can hit multiple people. Another thing to note is that he even has another ability that removes buffs and inflicts the opposite effect, so losing this one effect on his AoE doesn't make him no longer viable in arena. So those are my fixes to make Chirrut and Baze more balanced, and in my opinion, still much stronger than 95% (if not higher) of all other characters in the game currently. My fixes also don't change how much damage they do, counter chance, health, speed or any stats like that. Feel free to post your opinion on this topic and if you agree or disagree with me. May the Force be with you, and have a Merry Christmas :)

Replies

• They aren't OP. That was an unmodded opponent with terrible AI.
  • I definitely agree that Chaze is a particularly powerful combination. Don't know if a nerf like this (or most any others) is needed.

A few things to keep in mind, always: these two toons are the premium end of premium. Even having Baze and Chirrut unlocked, much less having Chirrut at a high enough star level to be really powerful, would have required huge investment. So it makes sense for these two toons in particular to be extremely powerful.

By contrast, Shoretrooper had multiple tourneys as well as a crystal-based pack; Jyn and Cassian have been part of a set of tourneys specifically intended to make it easier to unlock and promote toons (multiple tourneys in a short space = less people competing for one character).

I think it's also necessary to realize that Chaze gets better as toons die; the fewer targets there are to focus on, the more potent heal over time becomes. In a squad of five, and when Baze's taunt can be dealt with well, the heal over time is much less significant.

In addition, when Chirrut dies it all goes bye bye. AoE can do that. Boba can do that. B2 can help do that. EP and TFP together can do that.

All of that said, Chaze is still wildly powerful. This combo will also require a very particular set of toons to be countered. I just want to remind everyone that mega-premium toons are meant to be this powerful—consider, for example, the Rex-lead meta where Rex could hit hard, had excellent control, dispelled, provided Tenacity Up, and gave a minimal health bonus.

I'm not saying I like it; I'm just saying this is the standard for mega-premium toons.
  • Winning on offense isnt difficult - can chaze pull this off on defense? If the answer is yes, then we can start talking about OP
  • TyloRen
    381 posts Moderator
    People need to stop referencing this video. Everyone knows AI is terrible, which is why you are able to beat teams a lot better than yours. You could easily make a video with Biggs, Wedge and Shoretrooper and take out an entire squad.
  • TyloRen wrote: »
    People need to stop referencing this video. Everyone knows AI is terrible, which is why you are able to beat teams a lot better than yours. You could easily make a video with Biggs, Wedge and Shoretrooper and take out an entire squad.

No you can't. Wiggs and shoretrooper are easy for any top team to beat even on defense. They provide no utility other than a heal, taunt and crit hit immunity. Let's stop defending something that's broken just because they're "premium"
  • TyloRen
    381 posts Moderator
    TyloRen wrote: »

No you can't. Wiggs and shoretrooper are easy for any top team to beat even on defense. They provide no utility other than a heal, taunt and crit hit immunity. Let's stop defending something that's broken just because they're "premium"

I'm not talking about defense, I'm talking about on offense. One could easily make a video of those 3 taking out teams. Defense AI is so bad and it's easy to hand pick teams to fight. I mean that's exactly what your strategy should be in tournaments, use Wiggs, ST as your core (or 2 or 3 other strong characters) and fill in the rest with weak links for cheap to take out the other team.
  • That was an unmodded opponent with terrible AI.
    Even if they had good AI the point still remains, chaze can still solo, or almost solo that whole team

So people who drop thousands of dollars on toons should.... what, get no benefit from spending? There have to be OP characters. Otherwise there's no room for profit.
  • Enough with the nerf this or nerf that, learn to deal or just avoid them. It's not as if everyone has this team anyway. Adapt or die. They can be beat, it may not be easy, but they're new and definitely strong. More toons will be introduced in the future that will most likely make beating this combo easier. We don't need to nerf every meta simply because most can't beat it, that's what makes it meta.

I'm not talking about defense, I'm talking about on offense. One could easily make a video of those 3 taking out teams. Defense AI is so bad and it's easy to hand pick teams to fight. I mean that's exactly what your strategy should be in tournaments, use Wiggs, ST as your core (or 2 or 3 other strong characters) and fill in the rest with weak links for cheap to take out the other team.

I was talking about the other team on defense. Unless there's very lucky rng or it's a very weak team wiggs and shoretrooper aren't going to win a whole lot of matches against top arena teams starting off in a 3 vs 5 and when they do it's going be more of a last man standing type deal.

It's already been established that the team that got wrecked was a top 5 arena team, which means it's well modded. It might not have the mods that you would use but it still has good mods. This was not a rng got me lucky type match, this was straight up domination

So people who drop thousands of dollars on toons should.... what, get no benefit from spending? There have to be OP characters. Otherwise there's no room for profit.

I understand that you're just trying to protect your investment, but what about people who invested in echo? What happened to their investment when EA released an autotaunter with a single target dispel and who also stole his mass dispel? What happened to those who invested in Rex now that his signature move gets placed on a character who is not only faster and hits harder but is also the best healer in the game?

The best way to protect your investment is to protect the game. The only reason I've spent money on this game is because I've played it for awhile, and the only reason I've played it for this long is because I've never felt forced into buying their latest product to stay competitive. I have a feeling this game's gonna be in a load of trouble once the average player starts running into Chirrut/baze nodes in galactic war..
  • Actually, I farmed Baze from shipments and got Chirrut with a relatively thin roster.

Power creep is the way EA has decided to run their game. Gotta have something new to keep people spending.
  • Boba Fett is a hard counter to Chaze. He ignores taunt and his Execute deals 30% more damage for every status effect on the target. So that time in the video when Chirrut had 9 HoTs and Tenacity Up? An unmodded, non-leader Boba could Execute him for around 31k damage (without a crit). If he's the leader, lands the crit and has good crit damage mods, he could easily break 75k. An unmodded Chirrut has around 34k total HP so even with the best defensive mods, he isn't surviving that.

And the best part is, Boba is F2P and is the December login character so everyone and their dog has him.
  • Been trying to repro the result in that video for the past 2 days and only barely beat an Empire team with decent Mods. Baze and Chirrut are really strong characters, but they are designed to counter debuffs where Empire teams rely heavily on keeping the targets debuffed, hence why they are so effective against that team in the video.

On another note:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVr0WrHrAm8

This team has no trouble blasting through my full team with C&B in it. Very common characters with only OK mods. Maybe the ability of players to understand and adapt to new mechanics should be taken into account when releasing new characters.
  • Actually, I farmed Baze from shipments and got Chirrut with a relatively thin roster.

Power creep is the way EA has decided to run their game. Gotta have something new to keep people spending.

We didn't accept this power creep when mods came out so I don't know why we have to accept it now. If they continue to release characters with skill sets that are this insane than they're essentially nerfing your previous investments. That's a huge turnoff for the average player
  • Havent been playing long, but fought against these two in arena and it was laughable. I have 6 star, vader, sidious, QGJ, Luma (however its spelled) and forget last character, just got smoked. But haven't been playing long and don't know all the strategies.
  • xReDeMpx
    1690 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    IMO all they need to do is tweak abilities

Toons shouldnt excel in multiple roles more so than toons that have specifically one.

For example churrit shouldent be a better healer than barris or lumi because that's their primary role.

Churrit should be balanced as it states in description, he should be a kit that does medium damage, medium healing, medium speed and offers utility.

Not be the best healer, one of the fastest meta toons, one of the strongest base physical damage toons on top of cleansing and providing buffs.

This is coming from someone who has spent more than I like to admit and could of haves baze and churrit if I wanted.

• STRIKEBOMB wrote: »
    As pretty much everyone in the game knows, Chaze is op as ****. Just watch this video if you don't believe me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPnS7kVmVd8&feature=youtu.be
    This shouldn't be possible against a fully geared/modded empire team in the top 10 of arena. Because of this, they have to be nerfed. Just the 2 of them alone make so many other characters in the game pretty much useless (Ex: B2, Rex, Ackbar, Barris, and pretty much any healer). So here's my suggestions on how to nerf Chirrut and Baze, while still making them very viable in arena. First of all, change Chirrut's Resolute Endurance to be a leader ability. Unique abilities should not affect every ally or an entire faction. Instead, it should only affect a partner or just themselves (I know Cassian Andor also has a unique ability like this but this post isn't about him). This especially applies if the affect is game changing, as in Chirrut's case. So, changing Chirrut's Resolute Endurance to a leader ability doesn't necessarily mean he loses this affect in fights, but it definitely makes it more balanced since he will need to be the leader. Next thing to change for Chirrut is his As the Force Will. This ability is very op because it combines 2 very strong effects into 1 move: a health equalizer and a cleanse. So my fix to this would be to get rid of the cleanse part of this. Afterall, he is a "balanced attacker" and not a support or healer so why should he even have this ability in the first place? My fix for Baze would be to change his Unload ability so that it no longer removes buffs on enemies. This attack is still extremely good because empire enemies and non-buffed enemies still lose a massive chunk of their health, plus this is an AoE attack so this affect can hit multiple people. Another thing to note is that he even has another ability that removes buffs and inflicts the opposite effect, so losing this one effect on his AoE doesn't make him no longer viable in arena. So those are my fixes to make Chirrut and Baze more balanced, and in my opinion, still much stronger than 95% (if not higher) of all other characters in the game currently. My fixes also don't change how much damage they do, counter chance, health, speed or any stats like that. Feel free to post your opinion on this topic and if you agree or disagree with me. May the Force be with you, and have a Merry Christmas :)

+1 REBELS are BROKEN
  • Rebels aren't broken, just these two
  • Diel
    109 posts Member

I understand that you're just trying to protect your investment, but what about people who invested in echo? What happened to their investment when EA released an autotaunter with a single target dispel and who also stole his mass dispel? What happened to those who invested in Rex now that his signature move gets placed on a character who is not only faster and hits harder but is also the best healer in the game?

The best way to protect your investment is to protect the game. The only reason I've spent money on this game is because I've played it for awhile, and the only reason I've played it for this long is because I've never felt forced into buying their latest product to stay competitive. I have a feeling this game's gonna be in a load of trouble once the average player starts running into Chirrut/baze nodes in galactic war..

You were right.
  • I'm sorry whine on. Chaze is easy. Burn down baze, then kill chirrut.
  • If you want a squad to complain about try my gw everyday. Zqgj, zyoda, gk, jka, aayla or zbarris.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Barmuka_1 wrote: »
    If you want a squad to complain about try my gw everyday. Zqgj, zyoda, gk, jka, aayla or zbarris.

Zetas were still very rare waaay back when this thread was created.
  • Ig88isboss
    1752 posts Member
    Strikebomb ahead of the times. Lol and looks like wrathofcaeus has always been a idi0t.
  • LastJedi
    3047 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Been trying to repro the result in that video for the past 2 days and only barely beat an Empire team with decent Mods. Baze and Chirrut are really strong characters, but they are designed to counter debuffs where Empire teams rely heavily on keeping the targets debuffed, hence why they are so effective against that team in the video.
    An Empire squad is the only thing I can't beat on my shard, using rex lead and Chaze.

The problem with Zader lead is that the guy who goes first is gonna win. If something like Zader became the strongest squad, then the game becomes who got the best speed mods. If DM is buffed, the game becomes RNG defense. Chaze squads can be beat by just about any other meta, including itself.

The "jedi plus B2" squad is hilarious. That is so not a jedi squad.
  • STRIKEBOMB
    1232 posts Member
    Well looks like someone revived this thread lol