It's so absurd that we cannot set our Arena teams

Noci
81 posts Member
I think the subject says it all. This is the first game I've ever played where I can't actually set my pvp team. I just have to accept that it'll be the last team I used in pvp on offense. How is this a thing in 2016? It's frustrating to see every other game have this basic functionality, yet GOH can't be bothered.

The good news, I guess, is that when CG finally implements all these common sense features, we will praise them to the high heavens. They are taking a Bungie/Destiny approach with this game, I guess.

Replies

• Ya I agree. My team is good on off stinks on D.

Would be a great money making opportunity if we could set def teams too. People would actually invest time and money into a def team that is different from their off.
  • I enjoy the challenge of balancing my team, i take into consideration how an AI might play my team. Then what will work best on defense then offense since i normally hold a spot in the top ten. It means i have to accept that i will be sniped from far so defense is key.
  • The whole point of pvp is to find balance. It's possible to make a team that's hard to beat, it's just not the team you have
  • The issue is the tram I need to use to beat bobs generic poe Droid team is easily beaten by other teams. So yay I can now beat Bob 70% of the time but now Kim and Julie and Mike can beat me 70% of the time instead of 35%.

Every other game has and this one to should let you set a defense team seperate from the offense team.
  • You run 4 Arena missions with your offensive team and 1 Arena mission with your defensive team.
    I don't see a problem with that.

• Like everything in this game, it's money driven. If you could set a defense, you might lose less on defense. If you lose less on defense, you won't drop, and then spend to regain your former position. Defensive loses is where the money is made.
  • Eris_Discordant
    223 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    By the way, no matter how good you think you could make a defensive team, it will still lose thanks to AI. Your characters will be targeting random foes and your enemy will be focusing down your characters one at a time. They don't need to 3-star against you, they only need one of their guys to survive while yours are all randomly targeting and activating special abilities.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that by making a "good" defensive team, you can make it hard for players below you in power, or you can make a heavy RNG team and hope for the best. But your ranking is going to fall no matter what, there's no avoiding it.

The most challenging thing about Arena is the fact that the leader is the only character shown. That's really your only defensive advantage, especially if your leader is a bit misleading.
  • It's even worse than you may realize. Once I got Poe I put him on my team with phasma as lead, but the game chooses a DIFFERENT team for my defense, probably by who has the highest power. I have no way of controlling who is on it even by changing my offense.
  • I don't agree, people would use fast attack high dps to climb the ladder then switch to a lock down team and sit on the rank. The leaderboards would stagnate.
    You think it would be easy to climb if you had to face fully optimized and synergized defensive squads the whole way? Not likely.
    Ally Code: 945-699-762
  • Meh. It's not even "PvP". It's lol you got battle locked at 5:55pm and can't do anything about it.

End of the day. Every team is beatable because the AI is bad.
  • there are certainly flaws with the PVP and this is a bad oversight because most of your game is defense whereas most people are only on offense 1 hour a day when jockeying for position....
  • Please CG, add the ability to have teams in your pvp for Offense and Defense. That would be a huge quality of life improvement along with teams in GW.
  • I think all those asking for offense and defense teams aren't fully thinking about the ramifications of what they're asking for.

Sure, you may not drop as far after payout but clawing your way back up would be way harder and this can only lead to stagnation on the leaderboards because you're faced with beating team after team optimized for defense or centered on stall tactics to force a draw.

You have to think about the law of unintended consequences when asking for major changes in game mechanics.
  • Noci
    81 posts Member
    I think all those asking for offense and defense teams aren't fully thinking about the ramifications of what they're asking for.

Sure, you may not drop as far after payout but clawing your way back up would be way harder and this can only lead to stagnation on the leaderboards because you're faced with beating team after team optimized for defense or centered on stall tactics to force a draw.

You have to think about the law of unintended consequences when asking for major changes in game mechanics.

First, EVERY OTHER GAME has this feature, and there's no stagnation going on. What makes GOH unique in this regard?

Second, you say "clawing your way back up would be way harder" as if that's a bad thing. That, my friend, is a good thing. What's the point of having arena if it's easy to beat everyone?

Third, I think stall tactics stopped being a viable strategy around week 2.
  • Noci wrote: »
    I think all those asking for offense and defense teams aren't fully thinking about the ramifications of what they're asking for.

First, EVERY OTHER GAME has this feature, and there's no stagnation going on. What makes GOH unique in this regard?

Second, you say "clawing your way back up would be way harder" as if that's a bad thing. That, my friend, is a good thing. What's the point of having arena if it's easy to beat everyone?

Third, I think stall tactics stopped being a viable strategy around week 2.

The dynamic nature of the leaderboards is a good thing.

Stall tactics stopped being viable in week 2 but changing the mechanics could see them come back and that's boring.

I'd rather see them improve the AI overall instead of splitting Arena into two squads.
  • Noci wrote: »
    I think the subject says it all. This is the first game I've ever played where I can't actually set my pvp team. I just have to accept that it'll be the last team I used in pvp on offense. How is this a thing in 2016? It's frustrating to see every other game have this basic functionality, yet GOH can't be bothered.

The good news, I guess, is that when CG finally implements all these common sense features, we will praise them to the high heavens. They are taking a Bungie/Destiny approach with this game, I guess.

haha, awesome Destiny zinger and on point!:)

I can't say I'm surprised we can't set our non playing arena team given that there isn't even a way for people to change their name if they either skipped or didn't get the option to set it when first opening the app.

Amazing these simple things were either ignored or not even brought up when creating the app.

• I will use squad I have most fun with on offense and use last cheap OP squad to hold on D. I will put Phasma as lead & Poe together on same team and usually hold a spot down. I don't mind as others say, switching last battle.
  • It's even worse than you may realize. Once I got Poe I put him on my team with phasma as lead, but the game chooses a DIFFERENT team for my defense, probably by who has the highest power. I have no way of controlling who is on it even by changing my offense.

How do you even know? Do you have to find yourself on the leaderboard from an alt account?

How does it decide who to put on your GW team? I don't think I have ever seen anyone's throwaway squad. Not that it really matters to you who the game uses, since it is not competitive. But I would like to put a themed team out or something to make it interesting for people.

• The dynamic nature of the leaderboards is a good thing.

Stall tactics stopped being viable in week 2 but changing the mechanics could see them come back and that's boring.

I'd rather see them improve the AI overall instead of splitting Arena into two squads.

Stall tactics will never happen because damage is very high when you get to 7 stars. It was only viable when our toons did little damage because they were low level. Improving AI has nothing to do with giving us the ability to set our defensive teams. They can do both.

I'm still not understanding your argument against having different offense and defense teams.
  • If they create better events I'll leave PVP arena all together. Events are so well done in MCOC I don't even play arena. If they follow that model PVP is history to me.
  • I'd like to set D team and also see stats on who has attacked me with possible wins and losses. At least we could try strategy to see if we always lose against X or successfully defend to work out a more viable D.

This really was pushed out too early,typical EA style.
  • Stop using term like PvP because it doesn't exist. You'll always go up against AI in this game. What this mean is that you'll always have the upper hand with focus fire and target priority. This mean the other players will do the same to you when they attack your team.

The best defense is spend tons of money and support EA ; )
  • Jsnazz wrote: »
    Stop using term like PvP because it doesn't exist.

+1