Lets make toons that start with abilities on cooldown as well!

Prev1
Zooey
1607 posts Member
This is one of the only ship mechanics I enjoy personally. I find that it adds another layer of strategy as there's a ticking time bomb you're battling against (especially true in the case of fights versus Mace). And I think it'll help shake up a meta still overly reliant on first turn moves.

I highly doubt they'll ever rebalance existing characters to have abilities that start on cooldown, but they can certainly introduce it for future toons. It'll also naturally be helpful to tanky teams that can be expected to keep everyone alive for several turns (Empire, Jedi, Jyn Rebels). Just for example, lets introduce Mother Talzin and give her the Witch's Revenge ability, which will heal everyone up to full health and protection and then deal damage to the enemy team based on how much was healed.

An alternative would be especially powerful attacks that require a charge up sequence of a turn or two, that could be interrupted through certain debuffs such as stun or daze. This would be the perfect ability for a droideka - it'll gain defense up and evasion up for a turn as it rolls out and then unleash a devastating barrage.

Post your best ideas in the thread, and lets try to make 2017 SWGOH a bit more dynamic!

Replies

• No ideas but +1
  • Karek77
    292 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    You know nothing. Simply NO
  • The idea in general is good, but what prevents me from killing mother talzin (or any other ability-starts-on-cooldown-ability) before she can use that abilty? Its not like we dont have any toon combos that 1-hit ko everything that isnt a maxed out tank?
    Reason this works in ship battles is that you cant target mace
  • It works for Mace as you cant target him. It would take a major overhaul of existing toons which may or may not happen to introduce something like this.

If people know someone is a time bomb Wiggs will take care of it long before it goes off.
  • Its similar as enrage?if yes its a very good idea and deserves a +1
    where is darth jar jar?
  • Bad idea
  • xReDeMpx
    1690 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Why not add something similar to an existing toon that people have asked for.

Why not for kylo they add something along these lines

Special: blind rage
    This ability starts on cool down (2) Deal physical damage to target toon that does +20% damage for each passed turn before using this ability. If target toon is killed deal 50% of that damage to another target toon and also take 50% damage.
  • Twin
    527 posts Member
    To those that believe this is a bad mechanic due to being able to kill the character off before "cooldown"?

How is this mechanic different that typical anti-wiggs/lando/anakin/rey strats?

With all those toons people build strats on how to kill them before they can use their specials (or reduce damage).

One big downside to countdown abilities is the characters would be severely limited in Arena which everyone seems to judge most characters against. Most matches don't last long enough, maybe with Chaze that will change but /shrug.

• No thx.
  • The easy way to prevent something like wiggs from killing a ticking time bomb like this idea, would be to give the ticking time bomb an old hen kenobi like ability. For example: if this character is defeated, all allies gain 100% tm. Or: if this character is defeated, then all other allies deal 100% extra damage on their next attack. That way if you kill the ticking time bomb instantly, it is a bad thing for you since it gives the enemy a big boost.
  • Or bring in a tank to draw fire long enough.

I know another game, now gone, that had a character like this. However, with him, you only got to have him and your character, for a 2v3, so he was never used since his "has a large health pool" was null in PvP, the only place it'd be useful.
  • Karek77 wrote: »
    You know nothing. Simply NO

Actually you know nothing.

@OP +1
    Don't be a ****(4), and follow forum guidelines.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    That's the next power creep step....just wait...
  • Sounds interesting OP :#
  • And Merry Christmas Jedi Hunter.
  • I REALLY dig this idea, as I had it myself quite a while ago. Would also be great for rebalancing toons. Here's the first cool-down rework I would do:

Savage Opress Overpower special: this attack does massive damage and can't be evaded (at ALL health and protection levels). This special begins on a cool-down (3-4 turns maybe).

This would give incentive to attack Savage and not leave him for last (like we all do), and would make great use of his TM-gaining unique
  • Zooey
    1607 posts Member
    And Merry Christmas Jedi Hunter.

We're actually bounty hunters now.
  • Hermit Yoda.

Do or do not there is no try: starts on cool down for 3 turns. All allies gain 100% TM tenacity up offense up and crit chance.

Yoda's unique: when damaged Yoda heals 15% of his teams remaining health.
  • Boba Fett team resolve: this ability requires a zeta to unlock and starts on cooldown for 3 turns. All allies gain bounty hunter resolve.
  • Stormtrooper Luke:

Ability starts on cooldown for 4 turns: Luke revives STH to full health and protection even is STH has been defeated. STH gains 100% TM and resets all cool downs.
  • Zooey
    1607 posts Member
    The Lord of Hunger has answered my plea!

Who will come next?
  • Zooey wrote: »

Who will come next?

I recon we'll see a fair few maybe a Darth Revan cooldown move
  • Lasertoast
    26 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Zooey wrote: »

Who will come next?

Lol @ all the people saying this was a bad idea, and now it has been done.
  • Trooper and assasin together ignoring protection will be interesting indeed
  • Death Star: 2-turn CD: "win:" you win

*CD can be increased by CLS/Red 5 attack.
  • Dwinkelm wrote: »
    I REALLY dig this idea, as I had it myself quite a while ago. Would also be great for rebalancing toons. Here's the first cool-down rework I would do:

Savage Opress Overpower special: this attack does massive damage and can't be evaded (at ALL health and protection levels). This special begins on a cool-down (3-4 turns maybe).

This would give incentive to attack Savage and not leave him for last (like we all do), and would make great use of his TM-gaining unique

Absolutely broken. He's already a pain to Finish, and you want to make him a higher priority than the other broken sith on his team, DN? Terrible idea.
  • @Zooey i really like your example of mother talzin... after she is the only real sith alchemy practitioner left...(ep doesnt really use this primarily, but certainly has knowledge of it)

To take it to another level give mother talzin a unique (zeta) that recovers 75% of dmg received before her witchs revenge is used and 25% of that is given to all nightsister allies.

Abilities that start on cooldown have already been introduced so trying to deny this is ignorance, its gonna happen. Furthermore it most certainly adds strategy and depth to the gameplay.
  • JacenRoe
    3016 posts Member
    How about a Nightsister ability that resurrects 8 month old threads?
  • JacenRoe wrote: »
    How about a Nightsister ability that resurrects 8 month old threads?

Well, Rezzing always was Nightsister's main gimmick.
  • Don't we have this with DN already? With other OP toons it kind of makes Annihilate useless unless the opponent forgets about DN and he sneaks one in. Most time Annihilate is only used on the last toon In battle if at all, and you are already winning so it isn't a game changer. Only reason it is effective on Maces ship is that you can't attack it.
This discussion has been closed.