Fix to Unique Abilites

Prev1
Nebulous
1476 posts Member
edited December 2016
These abilities are garnering a ton of attention. The power creep bestowed upon them equates to having multiple leader skills under one character.

I am not against haveing potent unique skills. These skills really add flavor and since there are so few who fit as a strong leader, i would like to see more uniques. That being said, I have an issue with the current unique skills: defeated characters unique still persist after death.

I feel like all uniques should cease to exist when the toon who has the ability is defeated. Some Uniques are so powerful, that they should have a weakness. Knocking out the toon who has a unique that boosts fellow allies should eliminate the bonus(es). It doesn't make sense to me that the beneficial toons can reap the rewards long after the character bringing the skill is no longer in play.
Post edited by Nebulous on

Replies

• scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    Agreed 100%. It should not have to say "as long as xxxx is alive" that should be a given for a unique. Death should mean unique stops always.
  • Options
    They persist?? That's not right.
    It's like how leader abilities persist when the leader is killed.

It would add more strategy to the game if unique and leader bonuses cease when that character is killed.
  • Options
    scuba wrote: »
    Agreed 100%. It should not have to say "as long as xxxx is alive" that should be a given for a unique. Death should mean unique stops always.

This is pretty much what I want. Just a blanket rule over uniques. When the toon is defeated, the unique is lost.
  • Options
    lordson86 wrote: »
    They persist?? That's not right.
    It's like how leader abilities persist when the leader is killed.

It would add more strategy to the game if unique and leader bonuses cease when that character is killed.

Yes, some do still continue. I am okay with the leader skill staying since only 1 toon can maintain that flavor in the battle. Some Uniques act as leader skills but can be slotted into any of The 5 positions.
  • Options
    Which unique abilities persist?
  • Options
    ^^
    And which is it especially problematic for?
  • Options

here are two examples: red leader and indomitable will.
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

Heal from swift recovery
    First part of Chirrut resolute endurance (pretty sure on this one)

Edit: paid more attention today and First part of Chirrut resolute endurance stops after his death
    Post edited by scuba on
  • Options
    Wow now I see the problem...yeah that shouldn't exist after they are dead
  • Options
    Leaders and uniques last the entire battle unless they specifically say otherwise. Always been this way.
  • Options
    Better nerf Old Ben
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Leaders and uniques last the entire battle unless they specifically say otherwise. Always been this way.

Not all operate the way you are saying. Leader skill is not the same as a unique.
  • Options
    Allenb60 wrote: »
    Better nerf Old Ben

His is fine as it's part of his skill.
  • Options
    Interesting. I had to go back and read Red Leader, as I was sure it didn't persist, but then I noticed it includes defeated allies. That's kinda ****.
  • Options
    scuba wrote: »

Heal from swift recovery
    First part of Chirrut resolute endurance (pretty sure on this one)

A few more to test:
    Scavenger's Line in the Sande
    Tusken Shaman's Master Storyteller
    Poe's Stand Firm
    Baze's Dauntless Courage
  • Options
    Nebulous wrote: »
    Better nerf Old Ben

I was just trying to be funny. There are others like Geo Soldier that have unique abilities similar to leader abilities, but I guess it has never really been noticeable until now
  • Options
    Better nerf Old Ben

I was just trying to be funny. There are others like Geo Soldier that have unique abilities similar to leader abilities, but I guess it has never really been noticeable until now

Geo soldier is another one that needs to be examined.
  • Options
    Interesting. I had to go back and read Red Leader, as I was sure it didn't persist, but then I noticed it includes defeated allies. That's kinda ****.

It just so happens that facing wiggs chaze teams really bring it to the forefront. And when then add in Barris and her unique, 4 of the 5 toons will be adding in their uniques after they are defeated.
  • Options

It just so happens that facing wiggs chaze teams really bring it to the forefront. And when then add in Barris and her unique, 4 of the 5 toons will be adding in their uniques after they are defeated.

It will only get worse with more zetas being added to toons that don't have it.

Imagine a zeta baze and churrit looooool
  • Options

Not all operate the way you are saying. Leader skill is not the same as a unique.

I think what he means is that Kenobi's unique states in its description that it lasts as long as he is alive, Vader's zeta lead with dots does as well. Also Daka's unique states that she will have a chance to revive a toon, which she can't do if she's not in the battle anymore.

As long as they are working as intended I'm OK with the way they work now and they should add more to or improve the ones for older characters, like Vader.
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    MBL_66 wrote: »

I think what he means is that Kenobi's unique states in its description that it lasts as long as he is alive, Vader's zeta lead with dots does as well. Also Daka's unique states that she will have a chance to revive a toon, which she can't do if she's not in the battle anymore.

As long as they are working as intended I'm OK with the way they work now and they should add more to or improve the ones for older characters, like Vader.

Vaders is written into his leader skill. This breaks the leader rule. Making certain uniques even more powerful. Cuz they will continue indefinitely.

He specifically said old Ben so not sure your assumption of gk is accurate.

Daka was fixed to be only in effect while she is standing.

The big issues is this, power creep uniques have blurred the lines between a neat passive skill and a leaders skill. Leaders skill are unique in that they have to be in the leader role to operate and exist after death. Uniques can be in any slot and continue after death. Allowing uniques to linger longer after defeat really begins to thin the potency of leader skills.

I'm fine with a leader's skill persisting after death as the team is generally constructed around it. I'm not fine with other skills continuing to operate long after the character who brought the skill into battle has been defeated.
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Options

I don't see where he said Old Ben?
  • Options
    +1
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options

I don't see where he said Old Ben?

Sorry. I was referencing the wrong post. Another poster did write about old Ben. Again. Sorry.

And regarding the leader skill, the leader losing part of its ability is new to the game. So, no it hasn't always been this way.

However, leader skills have always lasted after death and uniques didn't always have the impact they have now. So no one noticed when gs gave other genosians more crit considering he was the only one for so long.

I disagree with the status quo is the way to go.

The argument that uniques should leave after the toon is defeated is the heart of the debate. Essentially, these skills give other toons an additional skill in their kit. A de facto 6th or 7th skill (chaze gives each other one plus Bariss) to really pull ahead of other toons who have 4 or fewer skills.

Essentially, instead of nerfing any current uniques or refusing to make additional more powerful and awesome uniques, I am advocating that uniques have a weakness. That weakness is to cease operation when the character is defeated.
  • Options
    This is a good idea
  • Options
    I can get behind this.
  • Options
    That would change to many things to rework all uniques now...

The only thing we can /should ask is for dev to be specific (as they have been lately) for example with GK where they mentions "while toon is alive"

But reworking all the already existing unique just doesn't make sense at this point , except making all those who invested in them given that they knew how current mechanism worked, feel once again cheated by devs with a mega nerf
  • Nebulous
    1476 posts Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Maraxus wrote: »
    That would change to many things to rework all uniques now...

The only thing we can /should ask is for dev to be specific (as they have been lately) for example with GK where they mentions "while toon is alive"

But reworking all the already existing unique just doesn't make sense at this point , except making all those who invested in them given that they knew how current mechanism worked, feel once again cheated by devs with a mega nerf

There are roughly 6 uniques that operate similar to leader skills in that they persist after death. What is the distinction between leader and unique? Why have a leader if making it an unique would do the same but allow the toon to be in any slot.

The argument that investment should play a role is understandable, however, I feel that the player didn't decide to skill or level the toon(s) simply due to thinking that the unique would be beneficial long after the skill holder was defeated. I am not championing for any uniques to be altered nor make future uniques less than amazing.

A blanket clause to end unique upon death actually open up avenues to crazy powerful, yet not overpowered, skills. Baking in the weakness of ceasing to exist upon death balance these types
    Of skills.
  • Options
    No need to change that now. It has always been this way and my memory only knows this from Wiggs combo. Since Wiggs is not OP anymore, no need to change this.
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • Options
    CronozNL wrote: »
    No need to change that now. It has always been this way and my memory only knows this from Wiggs combo. Since Wiggs is not OP anymore, no need to change this.
    Try Chirrut's Unique. Also Wiggs may not be as great as Chaze but they are still one of the most powerful combos in the game.

Look at Vader's Advanced TIE ship. The Target Lock permanence ability is labeled as a Unique and doesn't mention anything about losing its effect when Vader's TIE is destroyed. However, in an actual fight once you destroy Vader's TIE, then Target Locks will be able to naturally expire or be cleansed away. This is how all Uniques should behave.