We should give more importance to star ratings.

I just noticed how a 4* shoretrooper, with the same mods, can have more HP and protection in comparison to other 7* tanks.

I know there's a novelty aspect here and it's the reason why he was made available through an event. But the effort to farm one character from 4* to 7* must be an important aspect in fulfilling a toon's full potential, gears and mods aside.

For instance, we have vader who is just as viable 6* in comparison to his 7* form. Aside from a slight bump on the stats and a gate for raids, do we get more benefits for 7* a character? This is especially important for uber monsters like shoretrooper or new characters with strong abilities like the new rebel lineup.

Shouldn't the 7* form of a character be an important factor in a toon's ability to be geared and modded?

Replies

• War
    932 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    It is a huge factor, right now all I can do is max out my Shoretrooper's protection to extend his life pool. If I had him at 7* granting him a larger health pool to play with. I might throw some health primaries on there to augment his healing and max health increase from EP leadership. But since he's not farmable, protection is all I can do for him.

Another huge factor is I can't bring my Shoretrooper into raids, which is a huge drawback for my Empire team. Plus if they were to put more importance to star rating, they would have to make tourney heroes farmable, otherwise only top guy of every tourney would get a truly viable character.
  • Personally I think stars in terms of importantance for a characters performance are just fine as they are. Each of the four original methods of character progression (stars, level, gear, abilities) each serves a different purpose:
    - Level minorly improves stats based on star level, and allows for gear and ability progression
    - Gear is the main way to increase the overall stats of your character (mods as well)
    - Ability upgrades improve what your character/ship does, and how often
    - Stars allows a character to be used in more areas of the game, most notably raids and some events (and ship challenges for ship stars), as well as increasing the level bonus (or crew star multiplier)
    I like the way this works at the moment, how each progression method improves your character majorly in one aspect, and minorly for everything else. This system means that every progression path is important if you want to get full use out of a character, with the exception of stars if you don't plan on using the character for raids/events/challenges. I like the way how each of these progression methods work together to give you a maxed out character.

Also, if what the OP suggests was to be implemented, it would heavily upset the balance of the game. Several gamechanging meta characters have been released via tournaments only (chirrut, shore, Jyn etc.), and shards for some cannot be obtained in other ways. This leaves most players who were able to obtain the characters at all stuck with them at a low star level (3-5*) and no way to star them up unless the tournament returns, while the top 0.1% have them at 6* or 7*. With the current system that is fine, as those character are good enough with gear to be viable without the need for those extra stars. However if stars were to become more important to a characters progression, whether it be in terms of stats or other progression methods, it would cause issues. The people who unlocked a new shiny 3* or 4* toon from a tournament would be unable to use the character, as their progression/stats would be barred by the lack of stars, and the player couldn't do anything about it. Those people with the high star tournament characters would crush everyone else even more so then they already do, because even though others have the tournament characters, they don't have them starred enough to be able to compete with the whales, and their regular teams wouldn't hold up. It would go from say 10% or so of the playerbase being able to have a tournament exclusive character at a viable level, to 0.1% of the playerbase being able to have the same thing, all because of star barring. The whales would get ahead tenfold (even more than they already do) every tournament, while even more players would quit tournaments because even if they get the toon, it won't be viable.

While sometimes I do find it annoying to get minimal gain for increasing my Star count, if this was to change, it would break the progression system balance and screw over all non whales (even p2p that don't quite qualify as a whale), due to their tournament character not being viable due to stars. While it would be nice for stars to have more effect, for these reasons I think it should stay as it is. Unless of course you want to face the gear crunch/bad AND the star crunch/bar?
  • Ky10Ren wrote: »
    . Unless of course you want to face the gear crunch/bad AND the star crunch/bar?

3a8utey.jpg
  • Ky10Ren wrote: »
    . Unless of course you want to face the gear crunch/bad AND the star crunch/bar?

3a8utey.jpg

LOL, I can and can't believe that is actually a thing. If only crunches in this game were like that, we would all be maxed out.
  • I agree, as far as leveling a character goes, I feel the game is spot on for that balance.
  • Dhoey321
    1629 posts Member
    i agree that star level should greatly impact characters same as gear does. Even if a character is g11, 3* or 4*. They should never be viable in arena against 7* g11 characters.
  • Shore has 25k health maxed at 4*.

The only tanks at 7* with less that I see are JKG, Poe, and Mace.

All meat shield tanks are higher.
  • Star level makes less of a difference on tanks, tie pilot however really needs to be seven stars just for some extra health, b2 though is viable from his 4* unlock.

I think stars are fine the way they are people will always max their top characters to 7* so they can beat up on everyone else. I finish in the top of my anchient shard and the only understarred character I see is shore but it's because no one can get him farther.
  • The only real issue I have is with the stars being used to control your ability to use characters in game modes; for example, most players can't use Shoretrooper in AAT raids because there's no way currently to get him to 6 or 7 stars. It's just another way in which the game mechanics have become unbalanced since the introduction of tournaments.
  • Twin
    527 posts Member
    please no... farming can take sooooo long for some... I really hate the idea of must have 7* and g10+ to even be useable... It just is not fun... you can't play them and upgrade and see them improve really.

Gear is already the big bottle neck... let stars give 10% bonus or something... and keep gear as the key factor.

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    I think it's good the way it is. Once you implement a system that also hurts players for lower star value, you add one big notch on a p2p belt that will widen the gap.

Second post has it right, each leveling characteristic has its purpose. Stars are not supposed to be limiting in that way. There are gear and lvl's that limit health and protection and skills.
  • evanbio
    1505 posts Member
    Ky10Ren wrote: »
    Ky10Ren wrote: »

3a8utey.jpg

LOL, I can and can't believe that is actually a thing. If only crunches in this game were like that, we would all be maxed out.

Not only was it an actual thing, it was DELICIOUS! Not sure if they still exist....