Is there a reason that jedi are the only faction targeted by abilities?

I have been using jedi since I started playing around the start of August. I made it to top 50, and have been holding steady there. Since the EP event, I have to refresh every day to make it under 50. This is due to EP-led teams coming onto my shard. EP, maul, and sidious are distinctly anti-jedi toons. Why is this necessary? Jedi are by no means overpowered (pre-zeta). I am struggling to keep up with the current meta, and EP/maul dealt me a death blow.
I understand it makes sense lore-wise. I don't, however think I should be punished for choosing the faction that is most associated with Star Wars. Please give jedi some sort of buff against dark side teams to level the playing field.

Replies

• Options
    Rebels have a lot of anti-Empire abilities and vice-versa.
  • Options
    I totally agree. I keep reading suggestions to introduce more sith, who of course all have massive bonuses against Jedi. I totally understand that some zeta abilities and the general are pretty dope, but your common Jedi really isn't that fancy. Absolutely not necessary to have special counters for them.

I say Jedi should have some kind of defensive bonus vs sith. Who knows better how to defend against sith than the Jedi?

So +1 for sure
  • Allenb60
    2171 posts Member
    Options
    They aren't the only ones that receive extra detrimental effects from abilities? Outside of anti-critical abilities there are a lot that target droids, even though droids don't do so hot on defense in the first place
  • Options
    You should work towards getting Zeta abilities for QGJ, Yoda, Barriss, etc. Jedi already have counters to Sith.

iN DarthJarJar | Team Instinct Δ
  • Klocko
    1017 posts Member
    Options
    There's plenty of specific anti-rebel, anti-droid, anti-Empire, and anti-scoundrel abilities. Not sure how Jedi are being singled out here.
  • Options
    Better question is why no anti-sith
  • Options
    Klocko wrote: »
    There's plenty of specific anti-rebel, anti-droid, anti-Empire, and anti-scoundrel abilities. Not sure how Jedi are being singled out here.

Cause OP runs jedi and gets his butt handed to him...
  • Options
    Jedi are far from the only faction with specific skills that target them
  • Winstar
    2429 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Can't be complacent if you want to stay ahead.
  • Options
    Jedi and clone toons may not have specifically mentioned anti-sith abilities but many of them have abilities that directly counter sith. They have more tenacity boosting than any other faction which greatly impairs the sith. Yoda, QGJ, Barriss, GK, and Rex all can seriously reduce the effectiveness of EP, Vader, and Mail.
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Options

Because until Luke the sith were having their way with the Jedi, they simply weren't ready and were outmatched
  • Options
    Not entirely accurate. Considering Kenobi handed Anakin his **** and if not for said Whinakin, Mace would have ended Sidious. Coupled with Yoda losing his saber, high ground(oh look someone who knows not to attack the high ground) and being outnumbered he was an even match if not highly probably to defeat Sid. The Sith are strong but the Jedi had the means to defeat them. Granted we would have no movies if the Jedi win. So a moot argument haha.

MBL_66 wrote: »

Because until Luke the sith were having their way with the Jedi, they simply weren't ready and were outmatched

• Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options

What are the anti-scoundrel abilities? Didn't know about those.

Although, yes, the OP is probably more complaining, it is true that there are way more anti-jedi abilities than they have anti-abilities as a faction. They only have Eeth and Ima with their anti-droid skills.
    Sidious, Dooku, Maul, Vader, EP, HK, IG-100, General Grievous and Cad Bane all have anti-jedi abilities.
    There are no anti-sith abilities at all.
    Ugnaught, Jawa, Dathcha, Ima, and Eeth koth are the only ones with anti-droid abilities.
    Wedge, HRSc, HRSol, Baze, Biggs, Cassian, and Chirrut have anti-empire abilities.
    Veers, Vader, GMT, and EP all have anti-rebel abilities.
    Theres a much higher number of anti-jedi abilities than other abilities. 9 anti-jedi, 7-anti empire, 5 anti-droid, and only 4 anti-rebel abilities, not to mention there aren't any anti-scoundrel or anti- sith abilities. Or Anti-nightsister, or anti-resistance/anti-first order. Theres 7 anti-empire abilities and theres far less empire characters in the game than rebels or jedi.

They don't seem to be evenly distributed, and I'd like to see a few more anti-_____ abilities, although it does occasionally create niches for characters rather than making them overall useful.
  • Faerl
    10 posts Member
    Options
    Hello,

Boba Fett has an anti-scoundrel feat on his basic ;)
  • Options
    I totally agree. I keep reading suggestions to introduce more sith, who of course all have massive bonuses against Jedi. I totally understand that some zeta abilities and the general are pretty dope, but your common Jedi really isn't that fancy. Absolutely not necessary to have special counters for them.

I say Jedi should have some kind of defensive bonus vs sith. Who knows better how to defend against sith than the Jedi?

So +1 for sure

Um. What? Did you watch the movies? The sith arrange the slaughter of the entire jedi order save for a few lucky ones who managed to escape. These "lucky" ones are then systematically hunted down and executed by Vader. There are few jedi who deserve any anti-sith abilities. Only Windu, Kenobi, and Jedi Luke (who isn't even in game) really deserve any. Yoda does to an extent, but his tenacity up satisfies that since most sith rely on debuffs.
  • Options
    Khayman wrote: »
    Not entirely accurate. Considering Kenobi handed Anakin his **** and if not for said Whinakin, Mace would have ended Sidious. Coupled with Yoda losing his saber, high ground(oh look someone who knows not to attack the high ground) and being outnumbered he was an even match if not highly probably to defeat Sid. The Sith are strong but the Jedi had the means to defeat them. Granted we would have no movies if the Jedi win. So a moot argument haha.

Kenobi defeated Anakin only because he was able to maneuver the battle into an area in which he would have an advantage. Anakin was far more powerful than Obi-Wan and Obi-Wan knew that. It is only because of Kenobi's tactical prowess and Anakin's blind rage that he was able to manipulate the battle until he was in a dominant position (the high ground).

There is a popular (and not ungrounded) theory that Sidious allowed Mace to defeat him in order to sway Anakin completely to the dark side.

As for Yoda's fight with Sidious, one can read the novelization of Ep. 3 (fully canon, btw) where it says that Yoda had lost before the battle even began. The jedi had spent over a millenium trying to prevent the return of the sith and they were only prepared to fight the sith as they knew them from the past. But the sith had spent all those years changing and adapting and becoming more powerful. The jedi were not equipped to defeat this new breed of sith, and that's why Yoda chose to flee. Neither he nor Sidious even needed their lightsabers to duel, but Yoda knew he was beaten, and that his best hope was to live to fight another day.

So if you would like to argue that the jedi had the means to defeat the sith, you will find no shortage of counterarguments.
  • Options
    It's only fair when you think that there has been only 2 Sith present at the same time, when there are gazillions of Jedi running around "keeping" peace.

We all know how it ends.
  • Options
    Khayman wrote: »

Kenobi defeated Anakin only because he was able to maneuver the battle into an area in which he would have an advantage. Anakin was far more powerful than Obi-Wan and Obi-Wan knew that. It is only because of Kenobi's tactical prowess and Anakin's blind rage that he was able to manipulate the battle until he was in a dominant position (the high ground).

A wins a win - especially if that win was achieved without cheating
  • Options
    JKA should get an anti-sith buff since he defeated Dooku, granted he got his butt handed to him in Attack of the Clones but made Dooku look like a toy in Revenge of the Sith. Kenobi should get one because reasons (and he made Darth Maul become two peices, Yoda because Dooku fled rather than face him. Windu for almost killing Sid. And if we ever get Jedi Luke he should get one too.
  • Options

So +1 for sure

Um. What? Did you watch the movies? The sith arrange the slaughter of the entire jedi order save for a few lucky ones who managed to escape. These "lucky" ones are then systematically hunted down and executed by Vader. There are few jedi who deserve any anti-sith abilities. Only Windu, Kenobi, and Jedi Luke (who isn't even in game) really deserve any. Yoda does to an extent, but his tenacity up satisfies that since most sith rely on debuffs.

While that is true, it doesn't make special bonuses vs Jedi any more logical. After all, the message here is that Sith fight even better vs Jedi. Now you could argue that they are passionate about killing them or that it's basically their prime motive - and that would also make sense. But why is a Sith better at defeating a Jedi as opposed to, say, a rebel dude? One also wields the force, the other has but a little blaster in his hand. Again, Sith might be more passionate about killing a Jedi than effortlessly destroying a random dude, but the Jedi would certainly put up more of a fight.

Yes, your Sith friends slaughtered all the Jedi - but that wasn't exactly a fair fight as you well know. Without EP's genius plots, the Sith wouldn't stand a chance to rule the galaxy - simply because they were vastly outnumbered. But that's not the point here anyway. Sith fight better, makes sense. Jedi are natural protectors of the weak, see the Code for that.

So all I'm really saying is that a Sith being better at defeating a Jedi than anything else, like a droid, rebel, you name it, doesn't make sense to me.

But then again, not very much in this game makes sense that way, so whatever.

• MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

So +1 for sure

While that is true, it doesn't make special bonuses vs Jedi any more logical. After all, the message here is that Sith fight even better vs Jedi. Now you could argue that they are passionate about killing them or that it's basically their prime motive - and that would also make sense. But why is a Sith better at defeating a Jedi as opposed to, say, a rebel dude? One also wields the force, the other has but a little blaster in his hand. Again, Sith might be more passionate about killing a Jedi than effortlessly destroying a random dude, but the Jedi would certainly put up more of a fight.

Yes, your Sith friends slaughtered all the Jedi - but that wasn't exactly a fair fight as you well know. Without EP's genius plots, the Sith wouldn't stand a chance to rule the galaxy - simply because they were vastly outnumbered. But that's not the point here anyway. Sith fight better, makes sense. Jedi are natural protectors of the weak, see the Code for that.

So all I'm really saying is that a Sith being better at defeating a Jedi than anything else, like a droid, rebel, you name it, doesn't make sense to me.

The fact remains that the only times we saw a sith defeated before Luke, the sith were only apprentices, and even Luke needed his daddy to save him. Also remember that when Anakin and Kenobi had their first duel Anakin had turned to the dark side 7 minutes ago and hadn't really been trained yet. You really think Kenobi would've stood a chance against Papa Palp when even Yoda knew his only option was to flee?
  • Options
    Vertigo wrote: »

What are the anti-scoundrel abilities? Didn't know about those.

Although, yes, the OP is probably more complaining, it is true that there are way more anti-jedi abilities than they have anti-abilities as a faction. They only have Eeth and Ima with their anti-droid skills.
    Sidious, Dooku, Maul, Vader, EP, HK, IG-100, General Grievous and Cad Bane all have anti-jedi abilities.
    There are no anti-sith abilities at all.
    Ugnaught, Jawa, Dathcha, Ima, and Eeth koth are the only ones with anti-droid abilities.
    Wedge, HRSc, HRSol, Baze, Biggs, Cassian, and Chirrut have anti-empire abilities.
    Veers, Vader, GMT, and EP all have anti-rebel abilities.
    Theres a much higher number of anti-jedi abilities than other abilities. 9 anti-jedi, 7-anti empire, 5 anti-droid, and only 4 anti-rebel abilities, not to mention there aren't any anti-scoundrel or anti- sith abilities. Or Anti-nightsister, or anti-resistance/anti-first order. Theres 7 anti-empire abilities and theres far less empire characters in the game than rebels or jedi.

They don't seem to be evenly distributed, and I'd like to see a few more anti-_____ abilities, although it does occasionally create niches for characters rather than making them overall useful.

Thank you for this, I didn't want to go through every character's abilities. Eeth's double damage vs. droids is still less damage than most toons. IGD works well, but I rarely face droids because I get dunked on by B2. Jedi just aren't up to par with other factions, at least not at gear 8 to 10. I can handle Lando + Wiggs, but add EP and it's an automatic loss. **** if it makes canonical sense... wiggs being overpowered for so long was far from that. Call it whining if you will, I just think it's a bit silly that the jedi, which struggle to stay in competition, are targeted by more abilities than other factions. I am not asking for anti-darkside abilities. Maybe synergy of a sort or some buff on a future jedi that will allow them to compete.
    Please, internet warriors, before attacking me, look at my roster and help me create a team that can beat:
    Wiggs, STH, Lando, EP
    EP (l), Maul, TFP, RG, Sid

Both are teams in my shard that I could beat previously. Can I beat this or did my shard just get order 66'd?
  • Unimatrix010
    483 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

So +1 for sure

The fact remains that the only times we saw a sith defeated before Luke, the sith were only apprentices, and even Luke needed his daddy to save him. Also remember that when Anakin and Kenobi had their first duel Anakin had turned to the dark side 7 minutes ago and hadn't really been trained yet. You really think Kenobi would've stood a chance against Papa Palp when even Yoda knew his only option was to flee?

No, I don't think so. And that is NOT the point of my post.

But okay, here goes anyway:

The philosophy of the Jedi is obviously centered around peace. Violence is to be avoided, unless it becomes necessary to protect someone/-thing. So yes, Sith are naturally the better fighters, that is to be expected.

Palps destroyed the whole order AND overthrew the friggin galaxy, without anyone noticing until it was too late. Certainly an indicator, that the dark side has its perks. However, it was more complicated than that. Sith had been basically gone for what, 1000 years? The Jedi simply didn't see it coming and weren't even remotely prepared. Then we all remember Yoda's concern about quite some of the younger Jedi: Arrogance.

We could discuss this for a long time without going anywhere (and that's actually cool ^^), but my point is that the dark side / the Sith are not automatically way more powerful than the Jedi. Lots of different factors led to the downfall of the Jedi and it's portrayed impressively in the movies.

The argument who really is stronger is still to be had. Obviously in the movies the Light Side seems like the weaker one, which is why so many Empire/Sith fanboys have been bred. Remember, though, the Empire and maybe even more so the Sith stand for pure evil. Be careful what you worship here. Tyranny, mass murder (including children) of planetary scale, you know how this list goes.

And another thing: That's why I love the Old Republic universe (if you wanna call it that), because it can tackle this aspect way better. Plenty of Sith, plenty of fight-ready Jedi, a galaxy up for the grab. It's all there and more! I wish they would adapt that stuff and make movies about it. Beats the stuff we have by miles - at least in terms of potential (not saying the new films to come won't be awesome - I'm sure gonna watch them all! ^^)
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Options

So +1 for sure

Palps destroyed the whole order AND overthrew the friggin galaxy, without anyone noticing until it was too late. Certainly an indicator, that the dark side has its perks. However, it was more complicated than that. Sith had been basically gone for what, 1000 years? The Jedi simply didn't see it coming and weren't even remotely prepared. Then we all remember Yoda's concern about quite some of the younger Jedi: Arrogance.

So we agree? Lol that's one of the points I was trying to make. All the Jedi we have in this game are from that time, we don't have any of the heroes of the old republic who had been fighting sith their entire life in the game
  • Options

So +1 for sure

So we agree? Lol that's one of the points I was trying to make. All the Jedi we have in this game are from that time, we don't have any of the heroes of the old republic who had been fighting sith their entire life in the game

Basically, yes.

Still don't understand why a non force wielder is a tougher opponent for a Sith than a Jedi is. That's what's bothering me. Sith gain a bonus when fighting Jedi which results in making a Jedi an easier target than, say, a rebel. That rubs me the wrong way idk.
  • ObviouslyNot
    433 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

So +1 for sure

From what I've read in legends, the jedi that we have now are stronger than the jedi alive before the sith rule of 2. They've had centuries to perfect each saber style and force ability. The sith were never outright stronger than the jedi. Palpatine was just an exception, as he is unimaginably stronger than any sith before him. Kinda like how the jedi found anakin, who supposedly had more potential than any jedi before him.

Also the sith pretty much incorporated the rule of 2 because the jedi were stronger. They figured if they could keep thier numbers to only a master and apprentice and hide between the lines, they could become stronger over the years. Which is why Plagueis, or tenebris (however you spell plagueis master's name) didn't just full on come out and attack the jedi. Because they were slowly building up to be able to stand the ground against them. They knew outright war wouldn't work. Palpatine is the result of the rule of 2 being a success.
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    Options

So +1 for sure

Also the sith pretty much incorporated the rule of 2 because the jedi were stronger.

From what I remember it wasn't because the Jedi we stronger, but because the sith were always fighting each other due to their lust for power and it kept holding them back from reaching their potential.

• Options

So +1 for sure

Also the sith pretty much incorporated the rule of 2 because the jedi were stronger.

From what I remember it wasn't because the Jedi we stronger, but because the sith were always fighting each other due to their lust for power and it kept holding them back from reaching their potential.

Holding them back from being stronger than the jedi.

Lol, ok I will just agree with you here. My knowledge of the old eu has diminished over the years, all of it seems to blend together. Huehue. atleast now we get to debate who snoke is.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options

So +1 for sure

Lol, ok I will just agree with you here. My knowledge of the old eu has diminished over the years, all of it seems to blend together. Huehue. atleast now we get to debate who snoke is.

Snoke? You can't be calling him by his first name! That's Darth Jar Jar to you sir. Mr. Binks if you're nasty.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »

So +1 for sure

Snoke? You can't be calling him by his first name! That's Darth Jar Jar to you sir. Mr. Binks if you're nasty.

How can he be DJJ and mace at the same time?

Unless DJJ was secretly mace windu the whole time, and he wanted to kill palpatine at the end of rots so he could take anakin as his new apprentice.

*Twilight Zone theme*