F2P Crossroads

So now that I've been playing this game for 12 months as F2P I've managed to crack the top 50 on my leader board a couple of times now over the past few weeks - never top 50 for rewards, yet.

Here is a list of my characters to give you an idea of where I'm at. https://swgoh.gg/u/pwntehnubs/

To date I've tried to always maintain ranks of 50-150 and stay semi-relevant with arena teams but I'm always behind the meta by a few months! Am currently running Lando (L), Wedge, Biggs, St Han, QGJ, which is soon to be phased out in the coming months. The same thing happened when I finally got Phasma (L), St Han, QGJ, Rey, GS on an old meta; when only a handful of top 50 players were still using it.

My goals at the moment are:

1. Focus on Jawa squad for critical damage mods (a slow process as FTP). My JE is only 30/50 and doesn't appear as often as I want in guild shop
2. Gear 86, 88, HK to be competitive enough for another AAT raid team (without nebit/JE/B2 I would be running HK (L), 86, 88, Poggle, GS
3. Work on farming Aayla (0 shards now), and leveling up Yoda to round out a phase 1 AAT team
4. Gearing up my Wiggs/Lando team slightly with 2 energy refreshes per day

That's my plan! But is it a good one? Could I be doing more to get ahead on the F2P curve?

Limitations right now:

1. Can only farm 5* health/tenacity mods right now
2. Limited scoundrel team, and Boba is well behind
3. Long way from 7* Vader and empire team, although have a decent EP/RG
4. Fleet is only at 105K and I can only finish 150-200, and am struggling to get Home One to 5*

My guild is ramping up to Heroic AAT in the coming month or two and to have a competitive squad across all phases is one of my main goals.

So what would you advise given that I have a lot of ground to cover and a lot of characters left to farm? I'd love to be farming some cantina mods and am happy to start buying gems to do be able to use 2 energy refreshes and 2 cantina refreshes per day; but is it better to stick with my current arena team/5* health mods and focus on specific characters from cantina shipments/cantina farming?

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Firstly I want to say don't underestimate health mods. There is a point where you should push for crit damage/chance mods but don't do it if your arena will suffer.

Looking at your roster this might be a stretch of a long term plan but I will put it out there.

Go dark side. This will give you a 2 fold plan, dark side arena "meta" and dark side ships for zeta farming.

Scoundrel team for good credits.

Your arena team is good, maybe your mods are not the best but that team should do well.

Boba, I would focus on him before p1 of aat. He would help in heist and fits your current arena team.

Don't spread yourself too thin or you will end up treading water and not really getting better.

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »
    Firstly I want to say don't underestimate health mods. There is a point where you should push for crit damage/chance mods but don't do it if your arena will suffer.

Looking at your roster this might be a stretch of a long term plan but I will put it out there.

Go dark side. This will give you a 2 fold plan, dark side arena "meta" and dark side ships for zeta farming.

Scoundrel team for good credits.

Your arena team is good, maybe your mods are not the best but that team should do well.

Boba, I would focus on him before p1 of aat. He would help in heist and fits your current arena team.

Don't spread yourself too thin or you will end up treading water and not really getting better.

pretty much all he said, but i would prioritize crit damage mods/jawa's. you don't need them very high in gear or stars. + JE and nebit are a 2 birds 1 stone with AAT/crit dmg mods.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Yeah I feel your pain here, I am FTP and currently on my 10th month of playing this game.

One of the biggest problems I see with your plan is you are trying to accomplish too many goals at once. As a FTP you can't really focus on all areas of the game at once, you have to choose one, excel there and use the rewards from it to expand your roster, then you can focus on other areas. The most important area of the game to succeed in as FTP is no question arena, because it is your main source of crystals.

In order to succeed in the arena, you need to know and stay on top of the meta. Not nessacerily the entire games meta, but rather the meta of your arena server. Just because wiggs is all but gone on all those whale servers, doesn't mean it is gone on every server, for example I sit on a wiggs heavy shard with a few droid teams, so I built an empire team to counter all those teams (EP, Vader, TFP, Shore, RG). You need to have a look at what teams are mainly being used on your server specifically by the top 20, and build a team that will counter a majority of them. For example if your server is wiggs heavy, an empire team with Shore will be a great way to go (if no shore you will need a fast TFP, or a fast boba or something that can deny the OHKO). If your shard is empire heavy, then you will need a Rex lead team. if your shard is full of chaze teams, you will need b2 and boba. Whatever your server mainly uses, counter it and rise up the ranks, it's how I got from like top 5000 to top 10.

Once you move up the arena ranks into top 20 and top 10 area, you will see the amount of crystals you get increase quite a lot, especially if you are able to make it into the top 5. With those crystals, you can afford the refreshes and the gear/shards to obtain and gear characters for other areas of the game, such as ships and the raids. You do however need to continue to develop and change your arena team so you can stay on top, but once you get there for the first time, you can start to focus on other things too. However you spend your crystals, make sure you are getting value out of them, just because you have more doesn't mean you should waste them all farming bad characters, or buying common gear.

Speaking of arena success, mods are an essential part to this. No matter what team you run, if they aren't properly modded, they will be no good. Almost every character benefits extremely well from high speed secondaries, although obtaining these is quite difficult. Getting those from the challenges is extremely RNG based, and you are quite unlikely to get good ones. Instead I would suggest floating around 1.5-2 million credits, and waiting for mods with speed secondaries costing credits to show up in the shipments (the higher tier the colour the better, and only buy mk3 speed secondary mods or better, and don't worry about the mod type). Note that for higher mark mods to appear in mod shipments, you need to beat the defense mod challenge (tier 1 for mk4 mods, tier 2 for mk5), although it is easily done with gear 8 Jedi (I did it without a single gear 9 jedi, and only three of them were gear 8). If you need to know how to mod a character, look it up or ask on the forums.

Also I like how you are going for jawas for the crit dmg mods, that was me a few months ago, and I can tell you now it was an investment that paid off. Don't overinvest though, if you have all of the jawas at gear 7/8, Lvl 60-70 and at 5*, you can 3 star the crit dmg mod challenge mk3 with a bit of RNG. Then you can start farming those high tier crit dmg mods, and those are essential to modding any damage dealing character.

You will also need a scoundrel team for the credit hesit, which is the best source of credits for any player, and in this game everyone starves on credits. It isn't quite as important as arena, but if your arena team uses Lando, StHan or boba, you will be killing two birds with one stone here. To beat the credit heist tier 4, you only need a gear 9 7* Lando, and gear 8 high star Boba, StHan and 88. For 5th just use whoever and have them gear 6/7, personally I chose Cad Bane. With good RNG you will be able to beat it, although it will take several tries and some decent mods. Even if you can only beat tier 3, you will still make a couple million each time, which you can use on your arena team or to help get you to tier 4. Scroundrels will also get you all the training droids you can hold onto in the training droid heist, and will evantually get you the crit chance mod challenge completed.

For ships, do minimal investment and get character shards using the tokens (Rex and SF will be the ones you will be after, but you can also get Maul, Vader and Greivous, though the latter is just for the sake of having him). If you have the important characters you can just get zetas, or can get ships to go towards farming the zeta mats. Either way, those zetas will be game changing in the long run, and being able to farm them is one if my current goals (although I don't expect to get there for at least another month). Note that to farm zetas, you need 5 4* dark side ships, as you need those to get the 5* Tarkin.

In summary, the key to success as FTP is have a single goal and a sense of how you are going to achieve it, first and foremost this should be arena, although some other things also require background investment (credit hesit, mods). Once you rank up in the arena, you can begin to broaden your goals to other things such as ships and raids, although you need to stay on top of the arena. This is how I have succeeded as a FTP player so far, although I still have a lot of goals to accomplish.

• As another poster said, I think you're trying to do too much. Here's some thoughts for you

As long as your guild can beat the tank raid in a reasonable time don't focus on building teams for each phase. There's more important priorities and your arena team should be good enough for now.

Focus on a good scoundrel team. You really just need to get most of them to gear eight with a few at gear nine and ten to complete the mod challenge and the credit heists. The credit heists in particular are very important to long term success

Crit damage mods are the best overall in my opinion and you need jawas to get them; however, don't prioritize your Jawa farming over scoundrels. Only farm them to the extent that they won't slow down your scoundrel farming too much, at least until the point where your scoundrels are capable of three starring the last phase of the mod challenge and beating the last tier of credit heist.

Use all your ship currency towards getting a zeta. Finishing in the top 500 will get you a zeta in alittle over a month. Even if you don't know who to give it to yet, zetas provide such gamebreaking abilities that you want to make sure you're ahead of the curve. Only after you get your first zeta, should you focus on farming the ships, with the end goal being to complete the challenge so you can actually start farming zetas.

Lastly, I think you're biggest problem is that you're trying to chase the meta rather than simply tweak your team to remain competitive. I think that simply by farming someone like B2 or boba to replace qui gon could still help your team remain competitive and it's a lot easier to do than farming up a whole new empire team
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

Focus on a good scoundrel team. You really just need to get most of them to gear eight with a few at gear nine and ten to complete the mod challenge and the credit heists. The credit heists in particular are very important to long term success

g11 lando+st han and 3 other dudes regardless of gear is good enough for tier 4 credit heist. you might have to retry a couple times though. So i assumed that was taken care of.
    1q6gjr.png
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • leef wrote: »

g11 lando+st han and 3 other dudes regardless of gear is good enough for tier 4 credit heist. you might have to retry a couple times though. So i assumed that was taken care of.
    1q6gjr.png

How does anyone have 1100 Sim tickets? I've been playing since day 1 and the highest I've ever got was around 200. And then I had to farm things so they dissappear real fast lol
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Barmuka_1 wrote: »
    leef wrote: »

1q6gjr.png

How does anyone have 1100 Sim tickets? I've been playing since day 1 and the highest I've ever got was around 200. And then I had to farm things so they dissappear real fast lol

I have just over 4K and I have been here since December....
  • As another poster said, I think you're trying to do too much. Here's some thoughts for you

As long as your guild can beat the tank raid in a reasonable time don't focus on building teams for each phase. There's more important priorities and your arena team should be good enough for now.

Crit damage mods are the best overall in my opinion and you need jawas to get them; however, don't prioritize your Jawa farming over scoundrels. Only farm them to the extent that they won't slow down your scoundrel farming too much, at least until the point where your scoundrels are capable of three starring the last phase of the mod challenge and beating the last tier of credit heist.

Use all your ship currency towards getting a zeta. Finishing in the top 500 will get you a zeta in alittle over a month. Even if you don't know who to give it to yet, zetas provide such gamebreaking abilities that you want to make sure you're ahead of the curve. Only after you get your first zeta, should you focus on farming the ships, with the end goal being to complete the challenge so you can actually start farming zetas.

Lastly, I think you're biggest problem is that you're trying to chase the meta rather than simply tweak your team to remain competitive. I think that simply by farming someone like B2 or boba to replace qui gon could still help your team remain competitive and it's a lot easier to do than farming up a whole new empire team

Thanks to the detailed replies by Ky10Ren and TuftedPaper85, I appreciate the perspective!

TuftedPaper, could you give a little more advise on your thoughts towards Ky10Ren's post? He mentioned that I could use fleet shipments to farm Rex & Sun Fac to diversify my team a little more for top end counters to certain metas.

Let me also clarify that I can comfortably finish the last tier of credit heist just with St Han and Lando carrying my team. So working on Scoundrels might not be needed at all - maybe only to finish all tiers of crit chance mod battles?

I like your suggestion of focusing on zeta farming to try get ahead in arena with whomever I end up upgrading their zeta and then moving back to ships. I feel like I will be dropping out of top 100 in arena in a few months time (again) if the meta moves away from Wedge/Biggs/Lando and I don't start acting now - but farming an empire team might take months for me, only to have it possibly outdated, and have the cycle continue. I guess you'll answer on your opinions of zeta vs fleet shipment farming for Rex/Sun Fac, but maybe it's worth putting all my eggs into the 1 basket with a zeta and remaining on top of arena to get me ahead with more crystals?

I'll continue with Jawa farming for now, but thanks for the tips on needing just the bare minimums to finish crit damage mod battles.

Will be good to see what you and others feel about roster diversification vs sacrificing fleet shipments for a month and subsequent fleet growth just to get your hands on a zeta. I'll surely drop from 150-200 back to 200-500