A Message to the Devs and Community from a Semi-P2P Player

Replies

• MLGebra
    343 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Personally I'd like to see some ratios in the ability descriptions. "Deals physical damage..." Right... but how much? It's all based on your base stats of course but everything scales with different multipliers. Resistance trooper has 2 abilities that both just say "deals physical damage", but you'd have to use both of them to know that the damage they deal is completely different.
  • oTradeMark wrote: »
    SpeedWeed wrote: »
    Going back and forth between f2p and p2p

With the if your arena is easy and you rank high early

Also throw in a crystal sub

Need to shift the goal posts to ensure it suits your rhetoric.

Having 2 months of access when no one else except spenders have it. is not enough?

Remember the game sustains because of its business model.

Not to keep you happy .

You're not understanding the point of my post at all...

The issue is that:
    1. CG & EA never stated this was their business model. It has always been stated that Chromium exclusive characters could only be obtained through Chromium data cards. The very word EXCLUSIVE implies that it's going to exclude a certain group (F2P) from obtaining them.
    2. Two months of access to the characters is pointless because there is such a large gap between Pay-To-Play and Pay-To-Win. As I stated in my original post, unlocking a character is vastly different to making a character viable by starring them up to 6*+.

If CG/EA would have been honest from the get go and said that Chromium "Exclusive" characters will eventually be farmable to everyone and that data cards allow you to have early access to these characters and data cards allow you to speed up your star progression then I never would have had an issue with it. I would have bought the data cards fully understanding what is going into my purchase. But they did not. They purposely withheld information from the buyer in order to make a purchase look more enticing. That is called bait and switch and it's very unethical.

I am going to tell u that terms of service are subject to change at the discretion of EA.

Will there always be chromium exclusive characters. yes.
    Will every character always stay chromium exclusive?
    they did not specifically say all chromium will always be chromium only.

F2P have always been a questionable business model that is not particularly fair.

As with all online based games. Always subject to changes and changes of terms of service.

It makes perfect sense for CG and EA to push current chromium only down to farmable status to make space for more chromium exclusive characters and keep the semi f2p/ pure f2p players engaged.

As for I won't have spent if I knew.

I am going to not say you are lying to yourself.

I am going to suggest that bulk of the p2w community do not care.
    P2w essentially means u save time by paying money,

Because of lack of impulse control, or they make so much money. They make more money per hour than it costs for them to swipe.

Bulk of the p2w will still pay for being able to save time and try new characters.

This model only works for online games.
    Why?

Because u need someone to beat. That's why u pay more money to beat other people or have more access than others.

Reality of F2P games.

The whales and p2w need someone to slap around.
    Or they won't be dropping real cash to win more on a single player game

cad-20160101-e0a8c.png
  • This is the first mobile game that I've played so I can speak to that, but I have played plenty of PC F2P games like LoL and Hawken which have never done ridiculously shady bait and switch tactics like this. Also, a lot of F2P games make their money off of cosmetic purchases in the game which have nothing to do with saving time.

As far as me saying that I wouldn't have bought Chromium data cards, that is the truth. I never said I wouldn't have spent money on the game. I would have used the $400 I used towards Chromium data cards for energy refreshes and advancing my farmable characters in-game.
    GamingUpgrade.com - Gaming Guides | oTradeMark - YouTube Channel | Team iNstinct - Guild
  • QGJM
    318 posts Member
    oTradeMark wrote: »
    SpeedWeed wrote: »
    Going back and forth between f2p and p2p

With the if your arena is easy and you rank high early

Also throw in a crystal sub

Need to shift the goal posts to ensure it suits your rhetoric.

Having 2 months of access when no one else except spenders have it. is not enough?

Remember the game sustains because of its business model.

Not to keep you happy .

You're not understanding the point of my post at all...

The issue is that:
    1. CG & EA never stated this was their business model. It has always been stated that Chromium exclusive characters could only be obtained through Chromium data cards. The very word EXCLUSIVE implies that it's going to exclude a certain group (F2P) from obtaining them.
    2. Two months of access to the characters is pointless because there is such a large gap between Pay-To-Play and Pay-To-Win. As I stated in my original post, unlocking a character is vastly different to making a character viable by starring them up to 6*+.

If CG/EA would have been honest from the get go and said that Chromium "Exclusive" characters will eventually be farmable to everyone and that data cards allow you to have early access to these characters and data cards allow you to speed up your star progression then I never would have had an issue with it. I would have bought the data cards fully understanding what is going into my purchase. But they did not. They purposely withheld information from the buyer in order to make a purchase look more enticing. That is called bait and switch and it's very unethical.

Totally agree to your Points!
  • QGJM
    318 posts Member
    This is the first mobile game that I've played so I can speak to that, but I have played plenty of PC F2P games like LoL and Hawken which have never done ridiculously shady bait and switch tactics like this. Also, a lot of F2P games make their money off of cosmetic purchases in the game which have nothing to do with saving time.

As far as me saying that I wouldn't have bought Chromium data cards, that is the truth. I never said I wouldn't have spent money on the game. I would have used the $400 I used towards Chromium data cards for energy refreshes and advancing my farmable characters in-game.

Mee too. I played other freemium Games with expensive "Premium" Content and never had the feeling of beeing deceived or screwed by a Company like EA did this. It shows how they really value their own "Products" or their customers.
  • LordStyling
    1461 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    so many valid arguments

for me... chronium mass dissapointment having bought them without understand the star system of the game prior (yeah I know; dummy)

I personnally find it ridiculous that they round "down" the shards instead of up.

I got Maul 3 times before I stopped buying chroniums... and still could not star him up and missing only one. shard. (which I will never get unless he gets unlocked elsewhere in game, or bronzium luck). At least if they rounded up, I'd have one extra star to show for it. (who knows, maybe I would not have gotten discouraged and bought more at that point)

But chronium's are the worse ROI out of any f2p games I've ever seen, which is why I will never spend another dime on them, but damage already done and money already in their account.

But the way it is... they lose out on a ton of potential lower spending customers.

I'm no analyst, but wouldn't a company prefer to have way more people CONSTANTLY spending a few bucks for years, create a real cash flow, then a quick cash grab now, and have people abandon the game fairly quickly because they feel cheated?
  • I only do 2 refresh of energy at 50 crystals each and 1 refresh of catina energy at 100 crsytal daily, every few days I would add a 3rd refresh of energy at 100 crystal. This basically breaks even with my daily crystal income from area and daily missions.

Maybe I am missing something, but the only difference between me (F2P) and a P2W player is, they rank first in area and I am about 10-15 spots behind.
    Everything else, from challenge to campaign to GW, I finish and have equal fun.

Therefore, if placing on top matters to you that much then pay up, its a money game.
    Rich chinese kids pay 1 million RMB (150K USD) for a sword in online RPG game lol, to each his own.
  • so many valid arguments

for me... chronium mass dissapointment having bought them without understand the star system of the game prior (yeah I know; dummy)

I personnally find it ridiculous that they round "down" the shards instead of up.

I got Maul 3 times before I stopped buying chroniums... and still could not star him up and missing only one. shard. (which I will never get unless he gets unlocked elsewhere in game, or bronzium luck). At least if they rounded up, I'd have one extra star to show for it. (who knows, maybe I would not have gotten discouraged and bought more at that point)

But chronium's are the worse ROI out of any f2p games I've ever seen, which is why I will never spend another dime on them, but damage already done and money already in their account.

But the way it is... they lose out on a ton of potential lower spending customers.

I'm no analyst, but wouldn't a company prefer to have way more people CONSTANTLY spending a few bucks for years, create a real cash flow, then a quick cash grab now, and have people abandon the game fairly quickly because they feel cheated?
    Yeah the amount that they round down the shards when obtaining a character you already have is really bad. I feel your pain on the 64/65 maul shards for promoting. My obsessive compulsive tendencies drove me crazy over that. Eventually you will get a shard on GW for that and balance will be restored to the force but until then...
    • A 1* character retains 70% of it's value in shards (7 shards) when you obtain a duplicate character.
    • A 2* character retains 60% of it's value in shards (12 shards) when you obtain a duplicate character.
    • A 3* character retains 50% of it's value in shards (25 shards) when you obtain a duplicate character.
    • A 4* character retains 40% of it's value in shards (32 shards) when you obtain a duplicate character.

It really is a poor ROI and shady business model. I guess they are focusing on the short term scam rather than a long term residual income.
    GamingUpgrade.com - Gaming Guides | oTradeMark - YouTube Channel | Team iNstinct - Guild
  • Transparency... We need it.
  • What about Bob? Marley, Barker, Sagat? Who is this shifty Bob fellow?

I'd like to see something where Crystal spenders get a reward. Drops rates are very poor so ROI gets to be poor. I think you spend X Crystals a day you open up a set of 2 fights each challenmge set like Saturdays where all are in there. Or a 4 set challenge type of your choice, like Creds, Mats, ect. Just a reward for those spending the crystals and something to entice people not spending to spend. 500 is lower though I'd think like 750-1000 to earn reward. I like the idea though.

Ask Happy Gilmour about Bob Barker. Lol
    Ally Code: 945-699-762
  • Simsurf
    71 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Hmm my major disappointment is getting 4* characters like grand moff, lando etc dropped from chromium cards that could make teams with more variety and fun but after playing for a while realizing they're kinda useless cause you can't get any more stars for them. I would love to make an empire only team around Darth and moff but what's the point when you are going to get smashed by higher star characters down the track...

My other thought is that maybe the developers didn't expect there would be so many people willing to spend thousands of dollars on a mobile game (it seems kinda crazy to me??) and max everything out so quickly. It seems like these people feel like they own the game and are the ones that rant the most like the developers owe them something...

These are just my initial thoughts after playing for one month...

Last edit :) I'm hoping this shard shop thing will bring some balance to the force! B)
  • These false accusations is what adds to the toxicity of our forums, John and Jesse probably cringe everytime they scroll through the forums by now. Where are the good people at, let's take it on ourselves to bring more positivity in our forums. It will be good for all of us.
  • Never take advice from someone who can't spell it.
  • oTradeMark wrote: »
    This is the first mobile game that I've played so I can speak to that, but I have played plenty of PC F2P games like LoL and Hawken which have never done ridiculously shady bait and switch tactics like this. Also, a lot of F2P games make their money off of cosmetic purchases in the game which have nothing to do with saving time.

Yeah PC and mobile F2P games are completely different beasts. I have my own theory that because mobile is constantly "on demand", meaning you have access to it practically 24/7, people drop more money on it, whereas PC you have to be in front of your computer, which is only a fraction of the day. So if you have impulse control problems or an OCD gotta-collect-them-all mentality, then the ready availability of a mobile app makes purchases so much more enticing, and hence a serious dent on the pocket book.

Think about it. You've spent $400 on this app. That's more than a PlayStation 4. If you had this game on a ps4 or PC, you would laugh at how back the graphics are compared to something like Witcher 3......and yet you could have purchased six AAA titled console games for the same amount of money. Games you could of at least resold and gotten some of your money back. In SWGOH all you got are pixels.
  • Cecton wrote: »
    Never take advice from someone who can't spell it.

If stupity had a shelf life, you sir would be a twinky...
    http://grammarist.com/usage/advice-advise/
  • These false accusations is what adds to the toxicity of our forums, John and Jesse probably cringe everytime they scroll through the forums by now. Where are the good people at, let's take it on ourselves to bring more positivity in our forums. It will be good for all of us.

I asked for transparency. I never accused of any specifics.
  • Baal
    602 posts Member
    Cecton wrote: »

The irony.
    Might want to actually read that entry, Drax.
  • Cecton wrote: »

Oh... Oh my god... You poor thing.

• JoshG
    908 posts Member
    ....unfortunately broken. Don't get me wrong, I love it and I know it's in its infancy stage, but it really needs some work. With the current meta pvp has really turned into a coin flip. It just seems ludicrous to me that a max star/gear/level toon can be one shot by another. It was actually funny today. I attempted to snipe #1 and my team was literally steamrolled in the first turn. So I waited my ten minutes and went after him again. This time my Poe went first and I wrecked him. I guess it just feels like the strategy is kind of missing at this point. We get five minute battles, but they are really more or less over in the first couple seconds. Anyway, like I said I love the concept of this game and the fact that it's Star Wars really puts it over the top, but in its current state I am a bit hesitant to spend any more money. Hopefully CG/EA can get the kinks worked out in future updates.

I asked for transparency. I never accused of any specifics.

No, you're accusing cg/ea of fraud. Would you like me to quote your exact statement? .
  • I am sick of this game. I have spent about $5/10 per day since December. It's just no fun and there is nothing satisfying about it. Hitting sim over and over.
  • Song
    863 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    So you didnt win the #1 and you come here to cry? I got you a big box of tissue.

Kleenex-small-box.jpg
  • I really think they need a protection char with real damage mitigation skills. Skills that limit damage by % of current hp or a party wide damage reduction skill for x turns. Give toons a chance to survive first round. Intervention skills, next time target ally would die, convert damage into hp. Right now we have marginal healing, can't heal dead toons. How bout a chance to keep them alive and have spike survivability.
  • Asic
    1146 posts Member
    Why is this infancy ?
  • JoshG
    908 posts Member
    Song wrote: »
    So you didnt win the #1 and you come here to cry? I got you big box of tissue.
    ]

No...actually I did finish #1 however that had nothing to do with this post. I am sorry you weren't able to comprehend.
  • Song wrote: »
    So you didnt win the #1 and you come here to cry? I got you a big box of tissue.

lol if your read all of it he just said he also won the second try.
    829-416-931
  • Song
    863 posts Member
    Song wrote: »

lol if your read all of it he just said he also won the second try.
    ya i read the second part and realized that lol
  • JoshG
    908 posts Member
    Asic wrote: »
    Why is this infancy ?

I just meant this game has only been up and running for a couple months.
  • Baal
    602 posts Member
    Couldn't you have included 'broken' in the title? Here I was all excited to play fill in the blank, and it was just click-bait. You ruined the internet.
  • Preemo_Magin
    1826 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    This is an easy 5-10 QGJ shard a day Cantina shipment farmable character. You have to be able to see how some big spenders would understandably be upset that one of their $1500+ exclusive characters is now a F2P character you can 6* in a month and 7* in 44 days. (120 Cantina Energy + 2 Refreshes per day = 600 coins or ~7.5 shards per day)

QGJ is not an easy 5-10 shards per day char.

A char requires 330 shards. And you need about 42 enery per shard. So you need 14000 (actually 13894) energy.

You get 120 free per day. So farming it free takes 116 days.

Refresh once a day for 240 a day and it takes 58 days - two months if you don't miss playing a single day. About $45 in Crystals.

If you refresh a third time you get 360 energy or 39 days. If you start today, you crown it late March. You spend 300 x 39 = $75.

If you refresh a fourth time (at 400 Crystals) you have it in 29 days, and need 700 Crystals per day for $140.

If you refresh at 800 per day you have it in 23 days and you need 1500 Crystals per day, total of 34k crystals or about $220.

If you refresh at 1600 (yes, 1600) you have it in 19 days and pay $500.

See how it's never instantaneous and never "free"?

Now, if you have $1200, you click Open for 5 mins and have the char at 6 to 7* right now, immediately along with 4-5 other chars at 5-7 and also many additional shards.

I wanted to share thenlogic I see in thenpricing structure. Nothing is easy to farm when you want it right away.

The game CURRENCY is not $, it is TIME.

Post edited by Preemo_Magin on