Wait, you like tournaments!?

TheRevJCred
127 posts Member
edited January 2017
I made it a policy of mine that whenever I go to a restaurant and receive poor service, I'll only say something negative to the manager if I'm also willing to say something positive to the manager when I have excellent service. With that framework in mind, I really enjoy tournaments. I understand that is quite an unpopular opinion (from perusing the forums), but I wanted to give positive feedback on something, just as I would give negative feedback if I felt strongly in the other direction.

"How can you possibly like tournaments!? It's such a grind, and requires a massive time commitment, and the rewards aren't balanced...etc"

I definitely hear all those complaints, and I won't claim any of them are invalid. But what I can provide is a small list of why I enjoy tournaments:

Preface: I feel that this game is comprised of 3 weapons that help make players successful: (a) wallet - self explanatory, (b) time - having more time than others to sink into the game can be a massive advantage, and (c) decision making - whether it's who to farm, or what team to fight in tourneys, decision making is obviously a huge factor.

That being said, I like tourneys because:

1) While I can't compete with others in the wallet aspect (perhaps self-labeled as a fish?), I can work my schedule so that I can sink in time on tourney days. Yes, the shrinking of the tourney from 3 days to 1 day was a much needed improvement. This means that I actually have a chance to compete against the whales.

2) I find the strategy and decision making of tourneys absolutely fascinating. I refresh enemy comps a ton. I mean, a ton a ton. I cross-check speeds of enemies and I draw up a gameplan. Easy example would be facing a team that applies a lot of debuffs. Sure I could use Wiggs...but I could also implement my far less often-used Phasma (modded for speed to use Victory March), along with Yoda (for battle meditation) and 2 DPS toons and a tank to squeeze out a victory with non-meta toons in an effort to save ally points.

3) Perhaps an add-on to the last point, tournaments allow me to use the full depth of my roster. I get to try out fun new comps I would never stick in the arena, and use forgotten-toons (against weak tourney teams).

4) A tie-in to point #1, I love that tourneys use a "near-useless" currency in ally points. Far superior to crystal refreshes for the average player, ally points can only be used for bronziums otherwise. Furthermore, being able to buy ally points in the Galactic War shop will give an edge to those people (like myself and many others) that grind out galactic war each day (because we get the GW currency and can buy AP's). With the introduction of ships in GW shipments, this also gives you a choice of whether you're buying ship shards or AP--another element that will factor into your successes and failures.

I know there's been talk of an overhaul of tourneys, but I just wanted to provide some feedback on an aspect of this game that I really enjoy. My experience has been one finish in the top 1000, one finish in the top 25, a 2nd place finish, and the rest of the tourneys I finished top 100. I would classify the top 100 as a moderate grind, the top 25 as the true definition of the word grind, the top 10 as a massive grind, and the top 5 as a life-consuming grind (for the day). I know that many people can't sink time into tourneys at this rate, so please know that I understand your dissatisfaction.

Perhaps my biggest takeaway is that it's nice to have an element of the game that isn't as much wallet based as it is decision and time based. It will be interesting to see if they scrap tourneys altogether, tweak them or leave them as is; best of luck to everyone regardless of how this turns out!

Replies

• Options
    I think most people are more upset at the rampant cheating on the tourneys, then any of the things listed. They really need to get the cheating under control otherwise the tournaments have no integrity.
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    I think most people are more upset at the rampant cheating on the tourneys, then any of the things listed. They really need to get the cheating under control otherwise the tournaments have no integrity.

This is the main issue I see with them, the cheating. The other is the way the leaderboards are set up just too rng dependent if you are going to get easy or pita.

Most of the complaints
    The same boring team over and over I completely expected when we were given the option to set a defense, I expect same thing in arena if we were ever given the option to set defense there.

Time commitment. There is 24 hours to go in and run all the battles you want. You don't have to wait for the last second or the last hour.

• Options
    Im not a huge fan of the tournaments, however the prizes even for the top 2000 are still relatively decent
    Check out my channel and if you like it feel free to subscribe
    Virtual Gaming World
  • Options
    I'd be interested to know the ratio of people that have a favorable impression of tournaments (assuming cheating isn't in the equation)...
  • Options
    How do people cheat? I keep seeing references to cheating but don't understand what people are talking about. I mean, there is one particular guy with Chinese characters for a name on my ladder whose Wiggs team does more damage than everyone else's, but I just assumed he had a better set up than everyone else.
  • MBL_66
    2465 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I like free gear, credits and omegas. Just trying to rank high sucks because of how much time it takes and now the cheating.
  • Options
    My thoughts exactly. I really hope they don't overhaul the tournaments
  • Options
    Not a tournament. If you got an unlimted suply of refreshes. Call it, an event.
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    Mako1776 wrote: »
    How do people cheat? I keep seeing references to cheating but don't understand what people are talking about. I mean, there is one particular guy with Chinese characters for a name on my ladder whose Wiggs team does more damage than everyone else's, but I just assumed he had a better set up than everyone else.

Per:
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/1186/star-wars-galaxy-of-heroes-forum-guidelines#latest

We are not allowed to discuss how it is done so please don't ask.
  • Options
    Cheating may be the biggest issue but I believe it is such a big issues because of other problems with the tournament format.

If you compare it to other events that are in the game the key differences between tournaments and other events mean some players may cheat.

If you take Yoda for example not many players are likely to cheat to get him as there is always next month and he is not overpowered.

Palpatine as it does not come around monthly may have more cheaters but still its not likely as you still need 5 seven star rebels and by then most players will be able to do the last tier.

The tournaments on the other hand do not have fixed days, the character on offer changes each time, some of the characters are quite strong and not many players will rank high enough to get the character. That is a lot of differences between tournaments and the other events.

Going into a tournament players will have questions about will they get the character, when and where will the character be available after the tournament, is it going to be somewhere I can actually get it, is this the only chance I will have. Some people will think of all of these and some will decide as this is the only known chance then maybe cheating is the only way.

If you add in the time comitment and people getting easier tournaments is always going to upset players.

The devs need to sit down discuss what the aim of the tournaments are and does the tournament format meet that aim.

For example is the aim to have a way for characters to be introduced into the game that only a few players will get. Is the tornament format best for this or would it be better to have the character behind a pay wall. Making everyone think they can get the character leads to people being unhappy if they dont get it.

In each tournament shard you will have players happy they get the characters, players indiffernet about the tournaments as they are not bothered about the unlock, but most players will be disappointed by how the tournament goes.
  • Options
    A lot

I like them as well.

• Options
    I like the idea behind them but I usually get the pita tournaments which is hardly surprising given I haven't finsished gw in over three months... Level 85 and 42/50 in achievements..... So it might be I am getting lumped in with a annoying lot. I've never seen a final placement above 4000. So give the results I really don't try hard sometime don't try at all anymore.
    I hate these new timesinks called Tb/tw. Annoying features.
  • Options
    My only problem with tournaments is that character unlocks feel out of reach due to my roster, even if I spend alot of time & AP. My solution would be the following:

Add a small chance to get the character unlock for lower placements. Players in the bracket just out of reach of the unlock would get the largest chance & it would lower as you dropped brackets (3.0% to 0.25% as an example).

If this was added, players that performed well would still get a better chance at rewards, but everyone would have hope. It would also make people want to do a few extra battles to get into the next bracket for a higher chance at an unlock, rather than some extra credits.
  • Options
    My only problem with tournaments is that character unlocks feel out of reach due to my roster, even if I spend alot of time & AP. My solution would be the following:

Add a small chance to get the character unlock for lower placements. Players in the bracket just out of reach of the unlock would get the largest chance & it would lower as you dropped brackets (3.0% to 0.25% as an example).

If this was added, players that performed well would still get a better chance at rewards, but everyone would have hope. It would also make people want to do a few extra battles to get into the next bracket for a higher chance at an unlock, rather than some extra credits.

I don't know how much that would motivate people. I am less motivated simply because there is no good way to farm up the stars needed after the tourney. I have plenty of 7 star toons already that are not 85 with gear. So if it doesn't have 7 stars I usually just leave it alone.
    I hate these new timesinks called Tb/tw. Annoying features.
  • Options
    Someone stole my profile picture...

Nice profile pic bro!
  • Options
    Someone stole my profile picture...

Nice profile pic bro!

haha, I noticed yours the other day and thought the same thing!
  • Options
    I like them and usually do well, got a full character unlock everytime including a first place, however more often than not I don't have the time to try to win. I do think that the char unlock should go much lower than rank 100, maybe top 500 and top 25 get full stars. My biggest problem with them right now is that they start on a Monday. I and most others will be working so time is precious. Make them for the weekend, it seems like that would be obvious.