Ship battles far too swingy

Acrofales
1363 posts Member
edited January 2017
It's something I've been having an issue with for a while, but today I finally got the perfect case to illustrate it.

I battled someone with a very similar team to my own (fleet power about the same, very similar ships, slightly different allocation of credits, but overall very similar):

Home One flagship
Biggs
Wedge
Vader TIE
Ahsoka
JC

We used slightly different reinforcements (he used regular tie fighter, clone sargeant and GS, I use Sun Fac, Bistan and GS), but they are hardly even important to the illustration.

First battle he got a very early target lock on me (his Biggs went first and critted). He also took out my Vader before it got a turn, and from there on I got roflstomped. After about 4 rounds I finally managed to take out his Biggs (which kept regaining taunt, and got shield/health regens from H1 and JC), but not before Ahsoka and my own Biggs were dead. That was pretty much GG.

Second battle, he didn't get an early target lock and I did. My Biggs critted and I got the early target lock. I roflstomped his Vader and his Ahsoka soon followed. From there I just kept my own Biggs alive and taunting, and played my way to a flawless victory.

The entire battle turned upon who got an early target lock, which with most toons, including Biggs, is complete RNG (especially given the added problem of his taunt randomly bugging out). There is no skill, and no fun. And more often than not, battles are simply decided this way. At least in squad battles you can complain that it's all about speed, but there's a clear something you can look at and try to adjust around. Ships have no versatility (there aren't enough ships to tailor your lineup to deal with a specific tactic) and are entirely RNG based (unless you completely outclass your opponent, or vice versa). It's just plain silly.

Replies

• Options
    I can take out players with 20k power more than me if I get an early start and a target lock. If it gets resisted or I go last I lose half my team before they get to go usually. So I agree with you completely.
  • Options
    Been a few threads that, in general, hitting Auto and letting the pc duel out by luck is the best way to do ships. In other words, you are very correct in that between the misses and RNG it's nigh impossible to have a strategy.

With Mace/Endurance and Plo Kloon you can Taunt Dance - which is effective - but not if they get a few good Target locks and outright kill a ship. I won a little better when switched to Mace, but I still fare better if I Auto the battle.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • Options
    Thank god. I thought it was just me. More often than not, the AI gets a target lock in the first few hits, and I seem to wait 2/3rds of the battle to get one. By then, half my ships are dead and I'm still killing Biggs. I've given up trying to play "smart" as nothing works if they get the first TL. Now I just auto-battle and cross my fingers. Nothing I do matters if the AI target locks first, assuming similar power/ships/etc. It's not like I can tweak my ships to accommodate. :(
  • Twin
    527 posts Member
    Options
    I completely agree... but the same happens in arena as well with tight squads...

There are a few opponents I go against in arena in which the whole match is decided if my sun fac counters or not with an initial AOE.

Or if palp blocks X or not... etc.

In ships I go against a team with FOTP and Biggs... if his biggs get taunt game over... I win if not.
  • Options
    This is why the TIE fighters are important. I use TFP and FOTFP and they nearly always go first and one of them is bound to give me a target lock, Biggs taunt, and a victory.
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    The big thing that swung this battle IMO was the loss of vader.
    Vader tie will keep reappling target lock and then biggs keeps gaining taunt
    Vader tie also reduces all the tenacity of the opponets making it easier to apply target lock.

This is the reason I focus on killing vader tie firs.
  • Options
    The things I've noticed with ships:

1.) A high level / power tie fighter is almost necessary. Mine always goes first and instead of using his basic, I use his special - it's a guranteed foresight and helps keep him alive a little longer.
    2.) Take out Plo first, then JC, then Ahsoka otherwise you'll be chasing a taunt through the whole match.
    3.) If you can keep taking ships out, you'll force the AI opponent to use his reinforcements instead of it's specials.
    4.) Home One squads are so much easier to take down than Endurance squads - at least in my experience.
  • Options
    There needs to be more than one ship that can break a taunt. That's the problem.
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Nate_Puppy wrote: »
    There needs to be more than one ship that can break a taunt. That's the problem.

Ahsoka, 5's, Vader can all dispel, for 5's and vader to work they opponent must be target locked.
  • Options
    scuba wrote: »
    The big thing that swung this battle IMO was the loss of vader.
    Vader tie will keep reappling target lock and then biggs keeps gaining taunt
    Vader tie also reduces all the tenacity of the opponets making it easier to apply target lock.

This is the reason I focus on killing vader tie firs.

This is definitely true, but of course the reason my Vader got killed and his didn't (and vice versa in the second battle) is because RNG target locks caused Biggs taunts and dispellers are too late and there's no way to no mods for speed.

Maybe having my tie fighters up to snuff would help, but between Biggs himself, Vader and reinforcement Bistan I don't really have an issue applying target lock. My problem is with the swinginess.

I disagree that it's so pronounced in squad arenas. I absolutely sometimes have the feeling that I lost to bad RNG, or won due to good luck, but the battle is usually close, and it just happens to be fortuitous targeting or a lucky crit that swings a close battle one way or the other. Haven't seen squad arena go to flawless victory one way or the other due to RNG (unless you count rolling good mods as RNG too ;) )
  • Options
    I don't like target lock, or should I say the lack of vs the ai, I've even tried putting bistan in for his automatic tl and the ai always targets him first and he's dead before he gets a chance, it's real annoying to not land one single tl in a match yet the ai had landed at least 3 within the first 30 seconds of the match.
  • Options
    I have a very different opinion. Being the least powered fleet on my shard in the top 10. There are guys with 15-20k more power in the top 5. Against these guys applying target lock is sometimes crucial but only because they have stronger fleets. It can sometimes still be turned around even when target lock fails by having my reserves set up for plan b.

Hint unless your really fortunate to have vader as strong or stronger than the most part of your crew have him as 1st reserve. And have an assist caller as your alternate 1st reserve. As no good calling vader in when biggs is low on health.