Are AOE teams still viable in arena?

With the shift in the meta to speed demons and high DPS in arena, have AOE teams fallen to the side? I fear that an AOE team would be wiped out before it even gets a turn due to Poe and counter toons (Dooku, Fives, Kylo). However, if an AOE comp manages to survive the initial bombardment after a Poe taunt, it may have the firepower to wipe out the squishy DPSers Poe is hiding.

This leads me to ask, what is your opinion on an AOE comp in high level arena? An AOE team just might be viable with a Poe of its own to protect the low health hard hitting AOE toons.

Replies

• Yeah, but droids aren't.
  • Watch when the empire team comes more available, large defense and hard aoe attacks from Veers, Tarkin, Vader, combine that with an eventual release of emperor palpatine who has a kind of Poggle buff, although for 1 turn it seems. that is some heavy aoe to put up with.

I am pretty sure we see more aoe in the future
  • Aoe is how I get around the big Poe,Leia,fotp,GS,Qui-Gon types of teams.
    Use single target skills on Leia before she stealths or Poe taunts.
    Stun Qui-Gon if you can
    2 or 3 aoes will kill leia,gs, and Qui-Gon

As long as you can survive the initial tidal wave of dps coming from the enemy team on the first turn, an aoe team is very effective.
  • shimsham
    101 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    I think a great option would be 3 aoe guys with Poe and someone like Poggle.

I faced one of those yesterday and it was a bloodbath. That team was 47th at the time, only 22.3k power (around where I am) and now that team is #1 in my bracket. Tuesday I finished at 21 and those above me that I could then face were almost all in the 24k+ range so it's not like my bracket doesn't have power teams.

It was deadly because only my Sid was able to go before his Poe so he was able to get the taunt off which exposed 4 or all of my characters then his Poggle was able to go (since Poggle has great speed) and did the offense up and I was of course then left to attack Poe and his aoe guys in Sid, Jawa and Datcha then went off and killed me before 2 of my 5 characters had a chance to attack. One of my characters is Fives who has over 13.5k health so it's not like having a bunch of health will really be able to withstand something like that.