Who is rey ?

I think she's a reincarnated anikin.

Midichlorians created anikin. We know that. We also know that he was the chosen one. But instead of bringing balance to the force, he left it in darkness.

What if, this time around, with the proper training and guidance, he (she) brings the balance that's needed?

Thoughts?

Replies

• DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Maybe shes just some random girl from the desert who happens to be strong in the force

Edit: also, nobody likes midichlorians
  • Could be, but that's paper thin. I'd expect better from Disney and Lucas arts.

Edit: no, YOU don't like midichlorians. Everyone else loves them and invites them to birthdays. So, how 'bout that.
  • I never minded midichlorians because I never really thought they were real. Real world religions and philosophies have spent tons of time coming up with real world justifications of spirtuality--the example I always use when telling folks about this is Rene Descartes, who put together a very strong, very deep philosophy of being and spirit that makes a lot of sense...... Except at the end he said that the human soul is a tiny little man who lives inside your pineal gland, and if you were able to look inside a living person's brain stem, you would see that little man walking around. Or, if you want a secular example, bloodletting--it's obviously hokum mumbo-jumbo now, but for centuries we were convinced that the humors had to be balanced in just precisely such a way or you'd get sick, so you could heal someone by bleeding them of the "ill humors" and bring balance back.

So I always figured midichlorians were something similar. A tool used by the Jedi to explain how their powers work.

Anyway, I don't know who Rey's parents are. I don't follow the novels or comics, but I'll watch the hell out of the movies, so I don't know if they've said anything new in the time since TFA was released. But what I think is that she's Luke's daughter. I know Mara Jade doesn't exist any more, but she was popular so I figure they'll introduce a new character that's similar, but with a different name so they aren't beholden to the old canon. That said, apparently Thrawn appeared in one of the animated series, so they may just reintroduce her completely.

I'm, like, 99% sure I'm wrong. But that's okay, I'm looking forward to finding out.
    DatBoi wrote: »
    Maybe shes just some random girl from the desert who happens to be strong in the force
    Not going to lie, I really like the idea of something like that. But I don't think they'd go that route. It's not mythic enough for Star Wars, which usually does everything else by the numbers. So she'll be related to someone, somewhere, some how. But I really doubt it'll be Han and Leia, like some folks think. There's no way they're just going to forget a kid...
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Even though i wish it was otherwise, rey's parents are definitely going to be significant in some way. But i really hope they're new, original characters. Between the two most recent movies, ive had enough fan service. Its time for these movies to innovate and bring something new to the saga instead of rehashing old crap we've already seen.

While midichlorians are (unfortunately) very real in the canon (the jedi can measure with devices), i can guarantee you that they will not be mentioned in future movies.
  • DatBoi wrote: »
    While midichlorians are (unfortunately) very real in the canon (the jedi can measure with devices), i can guarantee you that they will not be mentioned in future movies.
    Just to play devil's advocate, there's a certain real world religion out there that has a device to measure your levels =P It's not a particularly well-respected religion, but it exists!

But, yeah, I get your point. The Jedi midichlorian counters work because the canon says they do. We can prefer a different explanation, like the one I said earlier, but our preferences don't overwrite the canon.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • I think CUP and mob enforcer are Rey's parents. I will go with the reincarnation theory, but it is Darth plaguis who cheated death and became Rey.
  • I'm pretty sure Luke isn't Rey's father because it's obvious that Abrams is misleading us into thinking that Rey's father is Luke and he even stated that Rey's parents aren't in TFA. Rey could either be a Kenobi or a Palpatine. It also makes sense why she is a Kenobi or Palpatine because both were very strong with the Force although she would be more likely a Kenobi because she used a mind trick on a stormtrooper just like Obi-Wan did. He also said "Rey, these are your first steps" in Rey's force vision so it's possible that Obi-Wan is Rey's grandfather.
  • I'm a fan of the "Rey is Luke's Hand" theory. The basic idea is that Luke's hand was cut off at Bespin, it was never disclosed where it ended up, but it was holding Anakin's original lightsaber when it fell. Maz has the lightsaber in TFA, so she must have at least known the person who found the hand as well. Someone wanting to bring back the jedi would have seen a hand w/ a lightsaber in it and tried to clone them. So we get some hand-waving cell-splicing embryology cloning jargon to explain how they made Rey out of Luke's DNA and presto! Rey is Luke's hand.
    Makes sense when Rey touches the saber at Maz's place: she sees images and hears sounds directly from the last time the hand was connected to Luke. The movie even hammers the point in by including a shot of Luke's robot hand, as if to say " HEY! Remember this guy lost a hand right then?"
    It even jives well with the newly released title of Ep.8: Jedi can mean singular and plural people. If Rey is part of Luke, they are both plural and a singular jedi. They (plural and singluar) are the last one/ones.
  • Rey has no parents. She is a female clone of Luke Skywalker, created from Luke's severed hand. We'll learn this when we find out how Maz ended up with the lightsaber.
  • Daisy Ridley... this was an easy one