Ultimate Gear Breakdown

KevlarGolem
74 posts Member
edited July 2017
Feeling the gear crunch? Plan ahead and know how much of each kind of gear each character must farm-- the variance is HUGE.

||||
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tshWML762iwtp0xKJO3R9bXHzog3lkYqNAIuzBZJzs0/edit#gid=0
||||

Sheet1 tab
1. First column contains the total purple requirement for each character, MINUS challenge purples required (but NOT Syringe VI and Carbanti III, due to overwhelming demand). The far left number is the final result, the first number inside the bracket is the purple figure directly from swgoh.gg, and the smaller numbers are each stack of challenge gear that were subtracted.
--why?: The purple figure on swgoh.gg is extremely useful for determining how difficult a character will be to gear. The problem is that there is no way to effectively filter out challenge gear on the site, and challenge gear (other than syringe VI and carbanti III) is generally so common that it is much easier to farm, often times sitting in a limitless pile in your inventory, thus making it easier to get than many blues, greens, and even greys! By subtracting this challenge gear out, we find a more precise number for how hard purple gear will be to get for this character.
2. Second column is stun gun Vs + stun cuffs.
--why?: Yes, these ARE already included in the purple calculation. However, guns/cuffs are so notoriously in demand and hard to farm, that they deserve an extra degree of focus.
3. Fourth column is the total number of Rancor exclusive gear required total, and in parenthesis, how many of them are fusion furnace Vs.
--why?: raid gear is hard to get. The less needed, the better. Yes, they are included in the first column purple total.
4. Fifth column is the total AAT reward gear required. Underline distinguishes non-slack from slack.
--why?: The gear the comes from AAT comes pretty slowly. I combine both gold and non-gold because in my experience the purple-aat gear is actually harder to get than the gold. For more on what I mean by "slack", see below, just know that its indicated with underlining even on this page because this category of gear is overwhelmingly impacted most by slack. Yes, this column is included in the first column purple total (the golds are not however, because swgoh.gg seperates gold total from purple total).

"SLACK" subtraction tab
"Slack" defined: The gear required AFTER reaching gear lvl 11.
--why?: Slack gear is technically required to reach 100% max stats. However, in practice you very frequently will/should NOT be equipping this gear. This is because a significant amount of the value from gear is in going up in level, and only a small portion is from the gear piece itself. For this reason, I would almost always use the Slack page to evaluate the gear reqs of a character. There are exceptions- like you might want your arena team 100% geared, or pieces that give speed (or other essential stats) might be important to making a raid team work. If so, don't use the slack tab to evaluate gear reqs for these characters, use the Sheet1 tab instead. There also might be easily farmed gear that you choose to equip simply because you have so much. In this case, keep using the Slack tab; the whole point of this process is to subtract easily attained gear.

Every column on the Slack tab corresponds directly to its respective Sheet1 tab column. Slack simply takes the Sheet1 number, and subtracts the slack gear off of it.

TEAMS tab
No new calculations or numbers are included on this tab. This is the same as Slack, just reorganized for the convenience of categorizing by popular teams rather than alphabetical.

DROP% tab
This is a new page, attempting to track drop rates by manually recording them. The 3 sim burst vs all at once comparison was for the sake of testing whether the drop rates could be manipulated by simming differently. (the result so far seems to be that they are about the same, but more data might prove otherwise)
Help! If you know of any reliable sources that also track this, please link them to me so I can add that data to mine. The largest sample size provides the best result.

Source: swgoh.gg
(Dex Corso in game. Formerly Til Dais)
Post edited by KevlarGolem on

Replies

• Options
    space reserved.
  • KevlarGolem
    74 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    UPDATE: Data is in now in a spreadsheet, complete with color coding, and now has significantly more information! See link below:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tshWML762iwtp0xKJO3R9bXHzog3lkYqNAIuzBZJzs0/edit#gid=0
  • Options
    HUGE UPDATE 3/27/17: Gold Implants now have a column. Stun guns+cuffs now has its own column. "Slack" gear subtraction now has an entire sheet for itself (slack is my term for post G-11 gear that can't get you to another gear lvl). All characters up to Pao/Pheonix team are now included.
  • xpxnx
    73 posts Member
    Options
    Gotta say, this is insanely interesting. I will definitely be referring back to this in the future. Thanks for all the time you put into this!
  • KevlarGolem
    74 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    No problem, thanks for the reply. I'm a little curious as to why you're the only one, as this thread is up to over 1k views now. The response on reddit was good, so maybe its just the forum? Or is the spreadsheet perhaps too complicated and seemingly not worth the effort to decipher? I know people care about gear reqs, we all complain about it relentlessly :open_mouth:
  • Options
    OK Kevlar, I'll be the first to ask a question

Before I ask my question though I did want to thank you as well for all of the work that you put into this. It is clearly the result of many many hours of work and thank you for doing that for a bunch of total strangers​. That's a really good thing!

Now to my question: assuming that you have a team that is fairly well developed how would you adjust your approach based on all of this data? If you are brand new I could understand that this would be perfect for determining your course of action, but if you have been playing for a while what would be the best use of this please?

Again, great job, just looking for some guidance on putting this into action.
    Let's get Tropical!
  • KevlarGolem
    74 posts Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    JackieMoon wrote: »
    Now to my question: assuming that you have a team that is fairly well developed how would you adjust your approach based on all of this data?

(TLDR: Even the biggest whales and the most frugal FTP veterans keep developing new characters- its the nature of the game. Unless the next character planned for development is so good that you'd pay any price, use the gear breakdown chart to determine if the gear price is worth it to you. Or use the gear breakdown to establish priority in gearing the characters you already have.)

Good question! I think even when your major teams (arena, multiple raid, ships) are well established, you still by nature of the game keep developing new characters. There's always desire to get that character who will bolster an existing team, or to start out on a brand new team.

Some character or team choices are so certain that any amount of gear is worth the price. Boba or GK are good examples -- so strong and versatile but SO expensive. Still it doesnt matter- you will pay whatever you must to gear them because they are worth it. In this case, you dont need this breakdown chart at all to decide on them.

Other choices though, are less certain. Maybe you want to experiment with a team (or character in a team) thats never been tried before, or maybe a choice is "low value" either because they are only slightly better than what you have already, or because their use is extremely niche to only one relatively unimportant area. Or maybe youve sharded up two potentially strong raid teams, but havnt commited much gear yet and want to start first on the team with lower gear reqs so its ready sooner. These scenarios are when you really want to check the gear breakdown chart to help make the decision.

• Options
    Awesome tool bro!
  • Options
    UPDATE 5/3/17:
    -Added the TEAMS tab. There are no new calculations here, I simply organized the SLACK tab into popular teams rather than alphabetically. Note that I vaguely organized them within their teams by strength/popularity, but this organization was not scientific or even very thoughtful; the point was to see overall team gear reqs side-by-side, not to rank characters. Note some characters do not have the tag but are highly valued by those with the tag (ie jawas are listed within droids). Also note some characters with the tag are NOT listed within their team, due to being low/zero value to that team (ie Eeth Koth is not listed with Jedi).

-Characters R2-D2, Gar Saxon, and Imperial Super Commando are now added
  • Options
    Hey, nice work! Seems a little weird to have Bounty Hunters as a popular team, but stick Resistance and First Order together with other miscellaneous debris. Maybe you could add those factions?
  • Options
    BH I'll admit I included primarily because I use them in arena. However, I'm finishing top 5 daily, so I think that justifies their inclusion. They can also score over 1m in P4 HAAT on a good day. They are also interesting in the gear breakdown as one of the most expensive teams available, which should be known if someone is interested in starting them up.

Resistance you are right, I should include them. They can score well on HAAT, and have become even more interesting with R2. I left them out because they arnt all that popular, but yes it's unfair to include unpopular BH but leave out unpopular resistence.

FO however, I have not yet seen as being truely viable anywhere. If you have video or other evidence that they are viable as a team (not just Kylo or phasma independently), I'll include them.
  • KevlarGolem
    74 posts Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    UPDATE 5/27:
    Ashoka (Fulcrum) added to the gear pages and to rebels on the team page.
  • Options
    MAJOR UPDATE 7/4:

-Removed the column for gold Implants and replaced it with ALL non-challenge AAT reward gear.
    -Removed the column for Rancor gear required for gear 9
    -Thrawn added
    -Ewoks added to team page