Scripted battles aren't fun

Due to the nature of the imbalance in Galactic War I have to run a B team against teams that are higher level than me quite often. My only backup tank is the Royal Guard. After leveling his abilities, it says he has a 40% chance to taunt if an ally falls below 30% health.

I have run battles over and over (by retreating) with 3-4 of my allies dropping below 30% health and eventually dying without getting a single taunt.

This would be like rolling a die 15-20 times without rolling either a 5 or a 6...it's practically impossible (66% vs 60%...pretty close comparison). Try it yourself.

My only conclusion then is that the battle is scripted before it starts; and it predetermines that a taunt will not happen. This is poor game design in my opinion.

Replies

• The RNG is rolled when you enter a battle so if you retreat and re enter without altering your team you will get the same RNG, try swapping 2 toons around then re enter for different results
  • Mizo
    172 posts Member
    If the AI has the best way to fight your team mapped out why would it ever change unless you changed your team. The answer is it wouldn't.
  • Yeah you have to change heroes out or your targeting pattern otherwise exact same results over/over.
  • As someone said already, the AI has already pre-determined whats going to happen as soon as the match starts. You need to switch around the leader to get different results. Or you will just keep seeing the same dodge, crit, and convenient resist that you have seen 50 times already
  • As others have stated, doing the same thing is going to give the same results based on the design, HOWEVER, I have noticed similar stuff happening that doesn't follow that.

A few days ago I had my A team in and everyone dodged a Sid regular attack as I tested it 5 times targeting someone new. I then switched people around and same thing. I then put in a whole new team (I needed to do this anyway) and they died and then put my A team back in and yup, everyone would dodge the Sid hit just as though it was the start of the match. Logically, the exact same thing shouldn't happen after an entirely different set of characters and battle just happened.

I don't believe it is as random as so many try and believe and there is clearly scripting going on. I actually wouldn't be surprised if one could do a battle, record the damage per attack, then do another battle but change up how it went (yet still end up attacking the same characters, just in a different order) and record the damage and they'd have the same values. I don't think that would happen but again, I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

• So the answer is that the RNG on a taunt is determined before the battle starts? That is dumb and is still scripted so double whammy
  • Stodie wrote: »
    So the answer is that the RNG on a taunt is determined before the battle starts? That is dumb and is still scripted so double whammy
    That's not quite how it works. For a computer to make random numbers it needs a "seed." The time in seconds from a set time is a common seed because it will never be the same twice (unless you get the seed more than one time per second ;)). This game uses your team composition to create the seed. So the same team will give the same seed every time. This was probably intentional. AFAIK, this has been confirmed.

I'm not a developer for the game, so this isn't official, but here's how I assume the game works. Many have observed behavior supporting this claim and there's a good chance that it's done very similar to this.

So at the beginning of the match the game generates that seed based on your team and then makes a set of random numbers. That set of numbers is used anytime something variable happens (whether you hit or miss, how much damage you do, if an ability procs, etc). So if you use the same seed and do the same thing you'll get the same results. It's not "scripted," that would be deciding that Dooku always stuns on his first attack. If you're able to get a different seed or different number of random things to happen before Dooku attacks then whether he stuns or not might not be the same and how much damage he does will probably be different. So by changing your lineup you can change the seed. By changing your strategy you can change which random number gets assigned to which move (except for any moves that happen before you go, of course).
  • Some of my observations about rng:
    Battle indeed seems scripted on the start - however there are variances, most obvious - initiative seems to get rolled every time you enter battle, eg: you start the battle AI sid act first, retreat, reenter (not changing anything) your Sid may act first.
    Another one: given the battle last long enough before retreating AI change the course of actions.

Purely rng related:
    RNG seems to be "freezing"(?) sometimes:
    example 1
    I had once battle in GW against Phasma and Daaka (dont remember other 3) for like 8-10 battles (changing leaders, squads) in the row i had to force close client as whenever someone attacked Daaka was assisting and stuning two targets - i didnt get to act or retreat at all. It was actually pretty funny tbh. Then at some point everything went back to normal.

Another one, more common is dodging - sometimes some character without any eva abilities (including leaders, buffs) like chewy or fives starts dodging like crazy, usually 4 out of 5 attacks for a few of turns
  • One other thing I have noticed. Sometimes sid will heal block at the start of the match, letting one of my characters potentially take 3 hits with no chance to heal. When this happens I retreat, and as soon as the next match starts I target a different toon. It usually puts me on third from left, but if I target another toon, sid may hit a different toon and not heal block them. If I chose a third toon then he may AOE instead. This is simply manipulating the first strike of the first turn. With enough time you can do this for every turn in the match, sometimes making the AI miss 3 or 4 times in a row.
  • Selecting another target can be used on your own attack as well. If you click on several targets instead of just the one you eventually want to attack, the seed/rng/whatever seems to have changed.
    Malpka wrote: »
    Another one, more common is dodging - sometimes some character without any eva abilities (including leaders, buffs) like chewy or fives starts dodging like crazy, usually 4 out of 5 attacks for a few of turns
    Yes, I just had this happen too, it was annoying and funny at the same time, haha.

Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride