Thermal Detonator- A possible solution

Having all three of the thermal detonator throwers, Greedo, Nute and Mob Enforcer I watch all three throw it first chance like it's a hot potato. Other characters have some sort of trigger on when to use a special ability but not these three. After every cool down same thing chuck that detonator.

What is needed is a trigger to happen to cause a thermal detonator to be used and I am suggesting it should be thrown when a character's health goes below 50%. That way Greedo shoots first , Nute fires and stealths and Mob Enforcer does whatever it is he does. He's the least tanky tank.

So let's open a discussion about what players want the thermal detonators to be used.

Replies

• Are they the three lease used toons?
  • Least used!
  • Mob Enforcer might be but I do see the other two around.
  • I think it should cause an aoe if the character it's attached to dies before it triggers. As it is now, it's basically a wasted attack. The only time it has been an issue is when I was under leveled and doing the mission where you get bombarded (no pun intended) by these. Lots of explosions and not much time to heal from it.
  • I kind of like my Nute, as a backup player. When my stealth team fleshes out a bit more he might come in handy. Does respectable damage, seems to crit alot. Could stand to drop into stealth more than he does, and that Thermal takes entirely too many rounds to go off. Often time a team is dead before it procs. Maybe decrease that by a round or two and he'd be a bit more functional than he presently is.
    Porgatory demands fresh souls.
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    I can only second this. The one good thing with thermal detonators is that they don't trigger counter attacks. But it seems like the thermal detonator debuff disappears if the thrower is killed before it's gone off. That is not really intuitive to me. And it makes them even less interesting to use. Nute is so fragile already.
    (Source: Have Nute at 6* lv60, purple gear)
  • Yes I agree about Nute his thermal detonator time is too long and half the time doesn't stick or is debuffed.

• What is needed is a trigger to happen to cause a thermal detonator to be used and I am suggesting it should be thrown when a character's health goes below 50%.

Wouldn't that just increase the chances of the target being killed before the detonator goes off?

I guess I don't have any of these guys, but I don't see the problem. It's just damage; wouldn't you want to have it on cooldown as often as possible?

If you have AI on, it's going to be wonky. I mean, Talia uses her self-sacrificial heal when she is the only one injured. I'm not sure we need great AI, though. We need a reason to play the game ourselves, and buffing the AI would just make the game harder when we do.
  • Greedo should only throw the detonator when his health is low as a last ditch effort to do some damage after he dies. I got Greedo in starter pack and am trying to make the most of it. He's 5 stars and will be gear level 9 after I refresh. I have a critical hit team I'm running and do good on attacks in arena, but I know Greedo kills me on defense bc he throws that detonator instead of blasting for high damage on his first turn.
  • I'm not saying it has to be 50% damage to trigger but a trigger of some sort is needed. For example with Sid's Demoralizing attack the ai doesn't always use it first chance, it use some formula to decide. With the thermal detonator it's always thrown at every available opportunity. It makes the ability a liability in arena. For Greedo the difference in the first round is no immediate damage, detonator sticking on 2-3 of opponents vs. 3800-12000 damage on an attack. For Nute it's a detonator that to be honest will never go off vs. 1500-3500 damage and then stealthing. My experiences with Mob Enforcer are... Well I unlocked him and he's 2⭐used only in tank challenge. My idea is not one I have set in stone but one I'm hoping opens a dialogue about how to fix not only these three characters but the whole scoundrel class.
  • Nonemo wrote: »
    I can only second this. The one good thing with thermal detonators is that they don't trigger counter attacks. But it seems like the thermal detonator debuff disappears if the thrower is killed before it's gone off. That is not really intuitive to me. And it makes them even less interesting to use. Nute is so fragile already.
    (Source: Have Nute at 6* lv60, purple gear)

They don't trigger counters?
    Interesting, good to know, thanks. Not using any of my toons that have it.
    Ally Code: 945-699-762
  • They should work like Recon storm troop explode on contact. By the time they explode 2 turns later game is over.
  • That would be cool but I can already see Greedo is OP needs a nerf.
  • Agreed. I'm so tired of seeing all the top teams running a fully leveled and geared Greedo!
    Oh wait... nobody actually uses him. Kappa
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride
  • That's the point hardly anyone uses him because he chucks a grenade on his first turn. Both Greedo and Nute would be viable if this one problem was adjusted.
  • Not sure if trolling on this one... Did you just use "Nute" and "viable" in the same sentence? He's apparently fast, but...
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride
  • It's an extra negative effect for Vader to monster cull someone! I think...
  • If they boost potency for the TD users or re-design them, maybe they'd actually be worth using and the AI using them as much as possible would actually be a good thing.
  • Agreed. I'm so tired of seeing all the top teams running a fully leveled and geared Greedo!
    Oh wait... nobody actually uses him. Kappa

I do and he's great next to FOTP for ridiculous dps
  • I think thermal detonators are wonderful. I'm building a team around them. Hoping for more TD throwers in the next update. I'll throw in the Ugnaught too, now that his stun icon is properly working.
  • Worst special attack ever.

3 turns to explode? I want my damage now.
  • Just make it that it explodes when the thrower dies or in two turns.
  • Olle
    501 posts Member
    Maybe if Nute's detonator granted stealth, and/or reduces the timer to one turn if used during stealth. It defentitly needs something bad.
  • Thermal detonators need a big buff. They should be doing buffed IG-88 levels of AOE damage, but on a 2 turn timer so the team has a chance to remove the debuff.

Or just remove the timer altogether. Have it like HK-47 grenade and go off straight away.

Or change Nutes grenade to be a smoke grenade and have a chance to put allies into stealth. Would make him much more viable and synergize well with his leadership skill.

I would get rid of Greedos grenade altogether. He doesn't use a TD in the movie anyway. Give him a skill called "Bounty Located" or something, which increases the offense, speed and crit chance of his teammates, but also grants the entire enemy team evasion up.
  • A Man with a dream!

When i first started this game i looked at all the chars, looked at synergies and abilities i said wow im gonna build an atypical scoundrel team with bombs:) it sounded awesome so i picked out Lando as leader, greedo, nute, boba, and cad bane.
    Starting as F2P for the challenge i started battling my way to my dream team, so excited like a boy on xmas. After about 1 trip to the forum and 1 month of playing i realised i was hammed, 2 of my team are p2w whalez and 2 of them throw a thermal detonator , hope for my scoundrel team was lost...

CG i still have this dream, a dream where players love scoundrels, they give jedis and sith alike a run for there money, they cause internal struggle within a player to go for the kill or heal up cause the countdown for the well place TD is soon to decimate their team. I dream of a day when TDs can kill a person at low hp, a dream where a TD works like other Special aoe abilities. A dream where you have greater than a 5% chance to have one stick, or detonate at all. I have a dream where players focus an opponent stuck with a TD, in this dream when the char dies the TD explodes and does splash damage. This dream shares improving synergies with scoundrels and stealthers alike.

Just the dream from some one who enjoys diversity
  • Getting some good ideas posted. I'd be happy with any of those changes. Especially explode on death, it would give an Old Ben quality to a Detonator thrower.
  • DarthBooey wrote: »
    3 turns to explode? I want my damage now.

As JG Wentworth would say:
    It's my damage and I want it now!
  • nice JGWW,
    Just thought of cryo and bio and poison detonators
    *cryo-Stuns/freezes, or could freeze partial turn meter or abilities as to not make it op
    *bio-throw at your team to heal or heal over time, single/multi
    *poison/acid-obviously inflicts DOT or dissolves buffs

on auto with nute and greedo im able to place 4 different thermals on the boba during the challenge then kill him before any of them detonate, come on devs fix please, this should amaze everyone due to the fact i have many which do not land

just some ideas