Mod Colours

So mod colours make perfect sense when you get the mod at level 1. White, green, blue, purple, gold indicate the number of secondaries it starts with.

Assuming 2 mods finish with the same secondary categories, one that started as gold will be way better than the one that started as white as the secondaries on the gold will have doubled, tripled up etc.

However, after upgrading these both to level 15 they both appear gold and the at-a-glance quality indicator is gone.

Would it not make much more sense if mods kept their original colours regardless of level? This would make it much easier when you look at a character to get a good feel for how well they are modded without inspecting each mod in detail.

Thoughts?

Replies

• crzydroid
    7285 posts Moderator
    I think at a certain point you just go straight to the stats table.

• I have a "rare" mod which I acquired while farming the mod challenges. It started out gold. I have another mod, of the same type, which I found in a mod battle. It started out white.

After leveling them both to fifteen, the white one has turned out better.

The same thing has happened with two of my health mods, sort of. I have a three star health mod that is better than most of my five star health mods.

Since it's random chance whether or not each ability increases when you level them up, the colour only indicates how much potential each mod has and not the overall quality of said mod.
  • Well it took 18 months but it seems CG have realised that I was talking sense :-)
  • Maybe they will add a brush option to let us paint mods with the color we want
  • DavieJG wrote: »
    Well it took 18 months but it seems CG have realised that I was talking sense :-)

Except your premise is still off lol
  • Was it really worth the necro?
  • Was it really worth the necro?

Good for players to realise that even if it looks like your post got totally ignored, just maybe someone is actually reading them.
  • DavieJG wrote: »
    Well it took 18 months but it seems CG have realised that I was talking sense :-)

Except your premise is still off lol

How?
  • Your op pre idea is that a gold mod is always way better then any other colour. That’s simply false , hence your premise is off.
  • benjammin
    50 posts Member
    edited August 2018
    DavieJG wrote: »
    So mod colours make perfect sense when you get the mod at level 1. White, green, blue, purple, gold indicate the number of secondaries it starts with.

Assuming 2 mods finish with the same secondary categories, one that started as gold will be way better than the one that started as white as the secondaries on the gold will have doubled, tripled up etc.

However, after upgrading these both to level 15 they both appear gold and the at-a-glance quality indicator is gone.

Would it not make much more sense if mods kept their original colours regardless of level? This would make it much easier when you look at a character to get a good feel for how well they are modded without inspecting each mod in detail.

Thoughts?

I don't think that the gold secondary stats will be much different then a green mod that has been sliced to gold. Per the original post - "Once the salvage has been acquired, players then elect to slice the mod which will improve the mod’s Tier, increasing a random secondary stat and changing to the next color. This process can be repeated until the mod is at the max tier of 5A (Gold) which will have roughly similar stats to a natural 5A, but requiring the investment of slicing materials and credits compared to a natural 5A. For example, you can now take a rarity 5E mod (Grey) and increase its stats by slicing it four times to a max tier of 5A (Gold)."

I think the biggest benefit to a "natural" 5A is that all of the secondaries will be exposed and increased without having to invest the slicing materials to up the tier, or the credits to max the level before slicing.

Perhaps a better way of interpreting the coloring of a mod going forward is that it really will just be a representation of how many of the secondary stats have been upgraded on the mod.
    • Grey - 0 upgraded
    • Green - 1 upgraded
    • Blue - 2 upgraded
    • Purple - 3 upgraded
    • Gold - 4 upgraded
  • DavieJG
    112 posts Member
    Your op pre idea is that a gold mod is always way better then any other colour. That’s simply false , hence your premise is off.

Of course Gold is always better than any other colour as it has 4 additional secondary rolls Vs 3,2,1 or none.

As long as you put the mod on a character that benefits from the stats that rolled then your roster will obviously be much stronger with all gold Vs all green mods.

I guess you're thinking that a green rolled speed and a gold didn't so the green is better? Not all characters need speed...
  • DavieJG
    112 posts Member
    benjammin wrote: »
    DavieJG wrote: »

Thoughts?

I don't think that the gold secondary stats will be much different then a green mod that has been sliced to gold. Per the original post - "Once the salvage has been acquired, players then elect to slice the mod which will improve the mod’s Tier, increasing a random secondary stat and changing to the next color. This process can be repeated until the mod is at the max tier of 5A (Gold) which will have roughly similar stats to a natural 5A, but requiring the investment of slicing materials and credits compared to a natural 5A. For example, you can now take a rarity 5E mod (Grey) and increase its stats by slicing it four times to a max tier of 5A (Gold)."

I think the biggest benefit to a "natural" 5A is that all of the secondaries will be exposed and increased without having to invest the slicing materials to up the tier, or the credits to max the level before slicing.

Perhaps a better way of interpreting the coloring of a mod going forward is that it really will just be a representation of how many of the secondary stats have been upgraded on the mod.
    • Grey - 0 upgraded
    • Green - 1 upgraded
    • Blue - 2 upgraded
    • Purple - 3 upgraded
    • Gold - 4 upgraded

Note the timestamp on the original post. This was just a necro to show they do read our suggestions or that coincidence is real ;-)
  • Now that the colors are changing, are they going to reveal all 4 secondary stats of all mods at level 1, or is a white mod still going to show 0 secondary stats at level 0?