Horadric cube for mods

Snake2
1455 posts Member
"You've got quite a treasure there in that horadric cube!"

If anyone has played Diablo 2 they might have an idea of what I'm talking about.

My idea is this: what if you could combine multiple mods to create a new mod. Let's say you have the following two cc diamonds.

+4 speed, 1.23 cc, 250 prot. 5 defense.
+5 speed, 1.55 cc, 300 health, .5% offense.

Any matching secondaries are automatically combined. The remaining secondaries are chosen from the 4 non matching secondaries. Cap each stat at the current max. (So no creating 52 speed secondaries).

That could result in the following mod:

+9 speed, 2.78 cc, 300 health, 5 defense.

Basically taking two middling mods and making a decent mod out of it. There could be many more possibilities. Two matching gray mods could combine into a random green mod. Two greens to a blue. Multiple 3 dots into a 4 dot.

Basically it gives us more incentive to farm mods and gives us some semblance of control in the mod process.

Thoughts?

Replies

• They would never do that. Will never happen
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    They would never do that. Will never happen

Agreed, probably never gonna happen, but it's a nice idea to hope for I guess.
  • Snake2
    1455 posts Member

Because why? They don't want people to farm more mods?
  • Laz
    190 posts Member
    Thanks for reminding me about the Horadic Cube. Awesome.
  • Snake2 wrote: »

No they dont want people to be getting high speed secondaries every 20 mods so put a pay wall there
  • Snake2 wrote: »

Anything that results in people getting top mods easier will result in fewer people farming mods, not more. The reason people farm them is because they don't have the best ones possible yet, this idea would change that.
  • It won't happen.
  • JPBrunel
    821 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    I loved it for Diablo, but for this game it would be horrible! I mean, speed would get even more out of control than it is now! You think your 9 speed mod that you got combining your two mods is something spiffy?? It'll be even more useless than your 4-5 speed mod is now, because the whales will be combining two 20 speed mods to make a 40 speed mod! (versus your new 9 speed mod) So now instead of being 15 speed points behind (20 versus 5), you'll find yourself 31 speed points behind! It worked well in the days of Diablo 2, but it would be terrible in this game...
    Post edited by JPBrunel on
  • I stayed awhile and listened.

I don't like the idea of combining secondaries. Instead, I think it should be a straight-up reroll but with at least the same number of secondaries as the inputs with a chance to get one more. The recipe would require two mods, maybe an Omega mat and some credits. The first mod is the one being rerolled and is guaranteed to keep the dots and minimum number of secondaries but the secondaries get rerolled. The second mod is a sacrificial template and must be the same shape but may be any number of dots or secondaries. The primary stat of the template will then get imprinted onto the first mod, guaranteeing that primary stat shows up on the reroll.

This allows you some degree of control over what you get and gives you a way to get rid of those low-dot mods you have no other use for while also maintaining the randomness that this game seems to love so much. Plus, almost every transmogrification recipe on the D2 cube involves a random roll of stats so this would keep that theme too.
  • Liked the idea of combining. Maybe not the way you described it, but more randomized. (Combine 3 x 3* get a random 4* etc)
    Nevertheless, it will decrease the need to refresh cantina energy and the number of mod packs bought drastically in the long run, therefore, it will never be a viable option on the Dev's side.
  • Striker
    198 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    all of us first of all want to get multiple chance of reroll secondaries, because we want to maximize speed stat. But devs wouldnt do that :'(
    May be for crystals price only, but it will make mods more imbalanced, and give advantage to p2p players.
  • JPBrunel wrote: »
    I loved it for Diablo, but for this game it would be horrible! I mean, speed would get even more out of control than it is now! You think your 9 speed mod that you got combining your two mods is something spiffy?? It'll be even more useless than your 4-5 speed mod is now, because the whales will be combining two 20 speed mods to make a 40 speed mod! (versus your new 9 speed mod) So now instead of being 15 speed points behind (20 versus 5), you'll find yourself 31 speed points behind! It worked well in the days of Diablo 2, but it would be terrible in this game...

Did you read the OP? He says cap it at current max... Which would mean maximum speed secondary would still be at around 25 (or whatever it is)... Combining 2x +25 speed secondaries would result in 1x +25 speed with other stats increased
  • Snake2
    1455 posts Member
    Thanks Jack. Yeah I like the ideas I've seen here. I'm not pretending my idea is the best and can't possibly be improved.

Just the way it is now, once you get a decent set of mods, it becomes a daunting proposition to improve upon them at all. Basically have to hit the lottery. I have very little incentive to farm crit damage mods right now. Not because I don't need them, but because it could take a month to improve on what I have.