Droids need a zeta upgrade

Prev1
Hi there! :)
As a long term droid user, I believe it’s time for droids to get a Zeta (K2SO his zeta sucks so bad it’s not worth calling it a zeta). Droids are the number 1 F2P squad. There are many players like myself who haven’t spent much on this game, and could still compete with the top of the arena. Lately, it’s impossible to get into the top 5. Maybe it’s a bit too much to ask for a free to play squad to get into the top 5. Maybe the first year you could win as a F2P player, and now you can’t anymore. I’m a bit disappointed actually.
You could say ‘droids had their fair share of glory in the past, go farm a Maul zeta squad’. I could of course farm a maul zeta squad. But that will take me at least 6 months to get them to gear 11. By then, there is probably a new meta around and you can start over again with the grind.
Sorry for this pessimistic story :p here are some vids of the daily arena life.

Droids with K-2SO vs Maul Zeta
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NDrgqcf10s

Droids vs Rex lead Barris Zeta Chaze
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtggTuhZQeg

Droids vs Maul Zeta
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyxzhVw67N4&t=5s

Droids vs Maul Zeta
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUVK5chdiAE
SWGOH.gg profile - Our guild, 3720 to 1, has 1 spot open! [49/50].

Replies

• I am personally not FTP but a few shard mates are FTP and they didn't go the droid way and can still compete, another used to run droids but has now made a transition to a different setup and it didn't take him 6 months. Now if all you have ever done is using droids and upgrading droids leaving every other toon at level 1 I could understand your concern but it is possible to keep up.

Those shard mates who didn't use droids were in the top 10 all the time and top 3 most of the time despite all the meta changes, yet they had to adapt and change squads a lot while droid users just sat on their bums using the same team throughout the past year.

Not saying droids shouldn't get a Zeta at all but I must say you can't expect to use the same squad for all eternity just because it's droids, other FTP setups have worked and are working now, those competing at the top with those setups just dedicated resources there instead of building droids
  • SubzeeeDon
    736 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    KeKattia wrote: »
    I am personally not FTP but a few shard mates are FTP and they didn't go the droid way and can still compete, another used to run droids but has now made a transition to a different setup and it didn't take him 6 months. Now if all you have ever done is using droids and upgrading droids leaving every other toon at level 1 I could understand your concern but it is possible to keep up.

Those shard mates who didn't use droids were in the top 10 all the time and top 3 most of the time despite all the meta changes, yet they had to adapt and change squads a lot while droid users just sat on their bums using the same team throughout the past year.

Not saying droids shouldn't get a Zeta at all but I must say you can't expect to use the same squad for all eternity just because it's droids, other FTP setups have worked and are working now, those competing at the top with those setups just dedicated resources there instead of building droids

Yh forget droids :)
    Post edited by Mageduckey on
  • Drax_77
    1076 posts Member
    Wiggs teams are the #1 ftp squads now if you look in my shards top 50 you'll find 3 droid teams a few more empire teams and all the rest are wiggs, but I do agree droid could use something to help them out they are becoming extinct.
  • Gamezealot
    152 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Thanks for sharing those videos. As a returning player who is farming droids, that literally makes me want to quit again lol!

Can't believe how non-competitive they are.....:/

I thought droids were supposed to be fast high damage hitters on offense. Instead they all hit like wet noodles, only hit fast when JE has crunch time up, and have a tiny health pool. Every other character in these videos seems superior.....

• Darthbinks
    232 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    SubzeeeDon wrote: »
    I am personally not FTP but a few shard mates are FTP and they didn't go the droid way and can still compete, another used to run droids but has now made a transition to a different setup and it didn't take him 6 months. Now if all you have ever done is using droids and upgrading droids leaving every other toon at level 1 I could understand your concern but it is possible to keep up.

Yes, forget balance and diversity. Let's all be window lickers and run chaze!
  • Why not use IG86 instead of K2SO, not saying be a lot better but at least 86 could take out somebody. I don't think K2SO added much to your squad.
  • Gamezealot wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing those videos. As a returning player who is farming droids, that literally makes me want to quit again lol!

I thought droids were supposed to be fast high damage hitters on offense. Instead they all hit like wet noodles, only hit fast when JE has crunch time up, and have a tiny health pool. Every other character in these videos seems superior.....

The guys I'm fighting (and loosing from) in the video do have amazing mods, I have +76 speed from mods average, but that's not enough as you can see :s:p Droids are still good in p2 AAT, GW and a little in the arena, so they are not a complete waste to farm lol.
  • Robertdd1 wrote: »
    Why not use IG86 instead of K2SO, not saying be a lot better but at least 86 could take out somebody. I don't think K2SO added much to your squad.

I have a max gear ig-86 as well, but I farmed K2SO because I could not beat the above squads with him. Now that I have a gear 10 K2SO, it's not helping either. :expressionless: I heard General Grievous isn't good, so I am pretty much stuck.
  • Gamezealot
    152 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Gamezealot wrote: »

The guys I'm fighting (and loosing from) in the video do have amazing mods, I have +76 speed from mods average, but that's not enough as you can see :s:p Droids are still good in p2 AAT, GW and a little in the arena, so they are not a complete waste to farm lol.

I understand the mods make a huge difference, I was still quite surprised at how little damage they seemed to do, especially in the game against Rex lead. You could have had another 2 or 3 droids on your team and still lost that. :(

• A zeta is coming soon. HK,88, and je are all eligible for one. It's only a matter of time.
  • Droids shouldn't get a Zeta only because the players who use them since the game was launched can't beat the meta teams.
    You have to adapt the teams, not to say droids have to get a zeta because you can win other zeta teams.
    I'm F2P. I have a rebel team in arena. I can't beat Zader or Zaul, but I will change my team to win and not saying to give zetas to rebels because it will be crazy.
  • I've been playing since April last year and droid are the only meta team that have successfully had a top 30 run in my arena shard. That seems like a pretty good run.
    Still more droids than wedge lead in my top 30. I really would not be upset if they just deleted all the droid toons tho. Hate that I had to farm them.
    I still think they are op.
  • Bremlo1486
    109 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Darthbinks wrote: »
    SubzeeeDon wrote: »

Yes, forget balance and diversity. Let's all be window lickers and run chaze!

So are you one of the people KeKattia was referencing when they said, "Now if all you have ever done is using droids and upgrading droids..." then? lol :D
  • Allenb60
    2171 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Honestly I'm not seeing a huge problem, those are anti-critical hit based teams and droids rely on critical hits, I think stuff like was added in response to wiggs teams
  • Gamezealot wrote: »

Disclaimer: I'm a droid user.

To be fair - you're using a non-optimal team against arena teams whose specific strengths are anti-droid.

That's like trying to fight an incoming title wave with a flame thrower. Your flame thrower is an awesome weapon - but it's not going to do a whole hell of a lot of good against water.
  • Keldo
    364 posts Member
    Darthbinks wrote: »
    A zeta is coming soon. HK,88, and je are all eligible for one. It's only a matter of time.

Is this a theory of fact based?
  • Keldo wrote: »
    Is this a theory of fact based?

They all have one ability that is level 7 (the unique for all of them), so it's not really a theory but a generalisation made from the fact that all level 8 upgrades that were not obtainable by level 80 became Zeta abilities.
  • Zeta Chaze
    Broxxor wrote: »
    Gamezealot wrote: »

Disclaimer: I'm a droid user.

To be fair - you're using a non-optimal team against arena teams whose specific strengths are anti-droid.

That's like trying to fight an incoming title wave with a flame thrower. Your flame thrower is an awesome weapon - but it's not going to do a whole hell of a lot of good against water.

Thx for the advice and the metafor, I will focus on Sith from now on.. See if I can beat water with water :p
  • GYSTLegend
    49 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    I run droids too and I agree droids need a zeta.. don't care what other's think
  • Nukin
    415 posts Member
    A zeta won't save you. Those videos are vs teams that COUNTER droids. Rex lead, Zarriss you shouldn't be winning against those teams with droids.
  • NukinFTW wrote: »
    A zeta won't save you. Those videos are vs teams that COUNTER droids. Rex lead, Zarriss you shouldn't be winning against those teams with droids.

Nah a good zeta can do wonders. Mail went from never used to top tier arena.
  • Twin
    527 posts Member
    I would tend to agree that Droids were a poor man's meta team.

They have lasted longer than most other teams/meta's The ride has to end somewhere and droids have seemed to ended at HAAT P2/P4.
  • Not every synergy should be viable forever. Nightsisters and seperatists deserve more attention than droids.
  • I still maintain in the top 20 for payout with Droids.
  • I do not run droids in Arena, but still find them difficult to play against. Everyone at the top of my shard made sure B2 goes first after JE's TM gain. This renders my pretaunt useless. Rearrange your mods so when JE uses his TM gain your B2 goes first.

You immediately dispel auto taunt and can take out who ever you need with 88 and 86. Also load up your droids on potency. If you opponent is ability blocked they will not take control of the match.
  • Vertigo
    4496 posts Member
    Those videos only show really 1 thing. Droids can't win when they go up against anti-crit teams... Droids rely so heavily on one single aspect of the game: Crits. Barriss (Z) and GK are great anti-crit because GK can give crit immunity and taunt when other players are critically hit. Zarriss will heal those that are critically hit. Zeta Maul is also another anti-crit team. Sith can't be critically hit while stealthed which makes your first round of AOEs do nothing because you can't crit the sith unless they go before you. And if they go before you, you lose all control because you're no longer in charge of turn order. Chaze is another great anti-crit combo because Chirrut will give HoTs to critically hit rebels and equalize health. Rex is another great anti-crit team lead because everytime you crit his team will gain TM and again you lose control of turn order. Those are pretty much the anti-crit characters in the game, sure Shoretrooper, but droids should get like 12 turns before shoretrooper gets to go...
    The problem with droids isn't the fact that they need a Zeta (I'm not saying they shouldn't get one here) it's the fact that the all do the same exact thing. They all crit and crit hard. Droids don't need a Zeta to fix them, they honestly need another droid that isn't just entirely reliant on crits and crit damage for speed and utility. B2 is like this, but he's more just used as a dispeller with good TM gain outside of crits. There needs to be another option for Droids that isn't just crits, and currently all of the droid damage skills are all about crits and crit damage. There needs to be another droid that does something else to move this team in a different direction. Even GG's leader ability already has to do with crit and crit damage. Droids are so 1-dimensional, that a Zeta probably wouldn't fix them.
  • Vertigo wrote: »
    Those videos only show really 1 thing. Droids can't win when they go up against anti-crit teams... Droids rely so heavily on one single aspect of the game: Crits. Barriss (Z) and GK are great anti-crit because GK can give crit immunity and taunt when other players are critically hit. Zarriss will heal those that are critically hit. Zeta Maul is also another anti-crit team. Sith can't be critically hit while stealthed which makes your first round of AOEs do nothing because you can't crit the sith unless they go before you. And if they go before you, you lose all control because you're no longer in charge of turn order. Chaze is another great anti-crit combo because Chirrut will give HoTs to critically hit rebels and equalize health. Rex is another great anti-crit team lead because everytime you crit his team will gain TM and again you lose control of turn order. Those are pretty much the anti-crit characters in the game, sure Shoretrooper, but droids should get like 12 turns before shoretrooper gets to go...
    The problem with droids isn't the fact that they need a Zeta (I'm not saying they shouldn't get one here) it's the fact that the all do the same exact thing. They all crit and crit hard. Droids don't need a Zeta to fix them, they honestly need another droid that isn't just entirely reliant on crits and crit damage for speed and utility. B2 is like this, but he's more just used as a dispeller with good TM gain outside of crits. There needs to be another option for Droids that isn't just crits, and currently all of the droid damage skills are all about crits and crit damage. There needs to be another droid that does something else to move this team in a different direction. Even GG's leader ability already has to do with crit and crit damage. Droids are so 1-dimensional, that a Zeta probably wouldn't fix them.

Wow, thx for your input. They rely too heavily on crits... All the more reason to abandon them. Although I don't think I'm ready yet lol. Hope that Droideka changes things up a bit
  • Seriously a great assessment, makes me want to reconsider if I put more effort in IG-88 or HK anymore. They are both at 6* cause I was building a droid team. It seems there time has already passed. :(
  • PixieClock
    110 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    Forget droids. Ewoks need love. I'm fed up with 4K crits! Try fighting a Zeta'd baris with that (hint: crit for 4K, baris heals for 7k)! After 20 minutes of smashing my face against the wall, I gave up!
  • PixieClock wrote: »
    Forget droids. Ewoks need love. I'm fed up with 4K crits! Try fighting a Zeta'd baris with that (hint: crit for 4K, baris heals for 7k)! After 20 minutes of smashing my face against the wall, I gave up!

Lol :p I will replace droids with Ewoks when they get there zeta :blush: