How do you farm gear?

Athusk
348 posts Member
edited January 2017
As the title might hint... I'm in an extreme gear crunch for Holo Projectors....

There are multiple characters I want to work on but literally ALL of them need Holo Projectors... I have seen them in the shipments for 300 crystals, do you guys farm using energies? Or crystals? Or a combination?

You can find my swgoh profile ( https://swgoh.gg/u/athusk/ ) for more info.

Replies

• Mullato
    2582 posts Member
    Combination of farming and buying from shipments.
  • Farm most of the time, buy when something I need appears in shipments, then back to farming.
  • Mullato wrote: »

100% this. I bought a few recently and luckily, they pop up in shipments (3 for 2700 credits) so a combo of that, bit of farming and buying outright. To be honest, I couldn't get 20 salvage for 300 crystals anyway with my luck!
  • Sometimes I buy energy refreshes and use it to farm for the gear (on LS dailies) and would get 0...
  • Mullato wrote: »

+1
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Mullato wrote: »

This^^

And I buy any gear for coins that I have less then 100 of.
  • Ugh. I'm just now hitting that point in the game where you need 50 of something to gear your guy up to Gear IX. I'm F2P so I'm trying to figure out how to do this.

Luckily, I am patient.
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu
  • Winstar
    2429 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    You don't farm what you can't grow. You get to sit there and sadly stare at 0/50 stun cuff salvages on your mobile device after dropping 120 energy and sims.

Feel free to spend 9.99 USD to get the needed crystals to buy one out of frustration. By the way, you probably need 100+ full sets.
  • purple gear at a cost of 273 or 300 for a piece that requires 20 pieces is more efficient than farming with energy refreshes in my opinion. Not so with the pieces that require 50 salvage and cost 1400 or 1274. Those should be farmed. I have not bought any gold gear either, but I'd wager the pieces that cost 750 are probably worth it.
  • Farm only one character at a time, until at least g11, if not full max.
  • buy them. 300 crystals, not a bad price. frustrating... but not a bad price considering.
  • I use my finger to click on node.
  • Winstar
    2429 posts Member
    Moicaliss wrote: »
    I use my finger to click on node.

giphy.gif

• Farm only one character at a time, until at least g11, if not full max.

But what happens when you run in to Raid gear that just won't F*@%*!@ drop?

• I spread it out a lot. It costs me top arena spots, I know, but after a year I have a really deep team that lets me do all the events, always clear GW, always top Heroic raids, etc. Plus I have a better chance of seeing stuff in the store for 10 toons rather then waiting for something specific for just 1.

That being said - when you do two energy refreshes, using 350 energy and you get 1 or 2 pieces of gear it is never a good thing. Blah blah, I've seen for myself that in the long run the drop% are what they are -- but I think CG could come up with a "doNotDishearten" algorithm along the lines of, and this is where it gets technical, "Shazam, they done poured 350 energy into one node? ka-blam-o, increase the drop!"
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • On the other hand don't forget that when you spend your energy in DS/LS, maybe you can get few or no gears, but you always get also credits, droids, XP, etc.
    If you buy gears in shipments, you lose these valuable byproducts that IMHO should be put on the weigh scale as well.
  • Albe_AuG wrote: »
    On the other hand don't forget that when you spend your energy in DS/LS, maybe you can get few or no gears, but you always get also credits, droids, XP, etc.
    If you buy gears in shipments, you lose these valuable byproducts that IMHO should be put on the weigh scale as well.

If you're not level 85, then yes, but otherwise, credits, droids, and all the other crap that drops from ds/ls nodes is nearly insignificant now that we have credit and droid heists, raids, etc etc etc. Gear and Mods are basically the only thing keeping everyone from having all toons maxed and optimized at this point...at least for those of us who started at the very beginning.