Zeta mat challenge question

So, i screwed up and started heavier on light side ships, simply because my LS pilots were better. Now i just realized i need DS ships to unlock a better Tarkin capital in order to do the Z mat challenge

Im f2p so i have to plan my resource allocation carefully, so id apreciate if anyone who completed the challenge can let me know the stars and levels of the ships you used.

It would be of great help, so i know if i have to beef up my main LS squad, or if im probably set, and can just focus on the bloody DS ones

Currently have
ahsoka 5/78
JC 5/78
Clone sarge 5/78
Biggs 5/78
Wedge 5/78
Geo S 4/75
Sun fac 4/75
Bistan 4/75 ( he hits so weak, its crap lol)
And working on
Tie pilot 3/70
Bobba still locked, 10 shards to activate

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• crazycdog29
    281 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    I use 5* sun fac, biggs, wedge, ahsoka, Jedi C, imperial tie, Poe, Geo Soldier All level 70 and 3 stared the ability mat challenge easily
  • Thanks, sounds doable then. It sucks ill probably have to get Gspy to do tarkin, i hate that toon
  • Kobi
    77 posts Member
    And what ships are good enough to beat that tarkin challenge ? I have very good tie fighter and toe advance...but geo spy geo soldier and firt order toe pilot are really behind...how good do they need to be ? I can level them (i mean toons) but gear...well you know...
  • I did Tarkin challenge with:

SF: Ship 5* lvl 70; Pilot 7*, lvl 85, grX
    GS: Ship 5* lvl 70; Pilot 7*, lvl 85, grX
    Boba: Ship 4* lvl 50 (I think, this is the only DS ship I've upgraded since, so not certain); Pilot 7*, lvl 80, gr8
    TIE: Ship 4* lvl 50; Pilot 4* lvl 75, gr8
    Geo Spy; Ship 4* lvl 50; Pilot 4*, lvl 45, grV

Tarkin: Ship 4* lvl 40; Pilot 7*, lvl 74, gr8

As you can see, there's some leeway with having a few ships at a usable but not great level. I don't recall having any trouble with this setup.

As for the zeta challenge itself, if you are looking to 3* it for simming, strongly consider Plo Koon. His ship is great, and being able to taunt a specific character that has a lot of current hp works better for trying to 3* than Biggs or SF whose taunt you can't control and sometimes gets them killed. I pulled them from my top five and pretty quickly 3* the challenge without much trouble.
  • Your light side ships are plenty strong enough. I just 3*ed it with biggs, ahsoka, bistan's uwing, wedge and Jedi consular, all level 73 except wedge at 80. Pilots: wedge and Biggs at gear 11, consular and ashoka at gear 8, and bistan at level 44, gear 6, but Scariff at level 85 gear 10. Tarkin's ship i got to level 60, Tarkin at level 57 gear 7.

I had the same problem. Powering up my light side ships until a few weeks ago realizing i need 5 4* dark side ships in order to get tarkin's ship so i could attempt zeta challenge. The biggest problem in this is that you don't know until you get to the last levels of the challenges that that's what you'll need. I could have gotten here a month earlier if this was advertised by the devs.

Almost as frustrating is that biggs taunt is so bugged, but works flawlessly in the enemy every time you fight him in tarkin's challenge. Don't attack falcon when it has triangles over it's head out else the attacker will be target locked triggering Biggs taunt. You need to take out Wedge and poe first, as they are the biggest damage dealers. I went from, impossible to beat tarkin's challenge to barely squeeking by in about 4 days of leveling my dark side ships and pilots.
  • What would you say the most important thing is to level in ships? Crew level, crew gear, crew stars, ship stars, ship level? I want to spend the least amount on the dark sides ships to beat tarkin.
  • fascizio
    572 posts Member
    edited January 2017
    What would you say the most important thing is to level in ships? Crew level, crew gear, crew stars, ship stars, ship level? I want to spend the least amount on the dark sides ships to beat tarkin.

Check out this reddit post.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SWGalaxyOfHeroes/comments/5f433c/explanation_of_how_ship_stats_work_and_data_tables/

It has lots of numbers, but it's a good way to tell where you can get bang for your buck with your specific roster.

One thing to note is how big a difference mod tiers make. Even at level 15 a 1* mod just doesn't do much. Make sure all your pilots have as high tier mods as possible, even if the mods themselves are junk -- a junk 5* level 12 mod is better for you pilot than a 4* level 15.
  • Cool, i got a bunch of 5* mod sets i can use when going for 3*. Thanks everyone for the answers.

Yeah, a heads up would have been nice since there are not an awful lot of DS ships, but as usual we will manage lol

Getting a good DS squad for the Tarkin challenge will be tricky, since i refuse to farm Geo Spy, and Bobba blueprints are a slow farm :(

• Dretzle wrote: »
    Your light side ships are plenty strong enough. I just 3*ed it with biggs, ahsoka, bistan's uwing, wedge and Jedi consular, all level 73 except wedge at 80. Pilots: wedge and Biggs at gear 11, consular and ashoka at gear 8, and bistan at level 44, gear 6, but Scariff at level 85 gear 10. Tarkin's ship i got to level 60, Tarkin at level 57 gear 7.

I had the same problem. Powering up my light side ships until a few weeks ago realizing i need 5 4* dark side ships in order to get tarkin's ship so i could attempt zeta challenge. The biggest problem in this is that you don't know until you get to the last levels of the challenges that that's what you'll need. I could have gotten here a month earlier if this was advertised by the devs.

Almost as frustrating is that biggs taunt is so bugged, but works flawlessly in the enemy every time you fight him in tarkin's challenge. Don't attack falcon when it has triangles over it's head out else the attacker will be target locked triggering Biggs taunt. You need to take out Wedge and poe first, as they are the biggest damage dealers. I went from, impossible to beat tarkin's challenge to barely squeeking by in about 4 days of leveling my dark side ships and pilots.

The part about not attacking the falcon just helped me beat it. Thanks!
  • Dretzle wrote: »
    Your light side ships are plenty strong enough. I just 3*ed it with biggs, ahsoka, bistan's uwing, wedge and Jedi consular, all level 73 except wedge at 80. Pilots: wedge and Biggs at gear 11, consular and ashoka at gear 8, and bistan at level 44, gear 6, but Scariff at level 85 gear 10. Tarkin's ship i got to level 60, Tarkin at level 57 gear 7.

The part about not attacking the falcon just helped me beat it. Thanks!

The power of shared knowledge is awesome lol
  • My Dark pilots were all 5*, gear 7, level 80. A couple were higher--Tarkinnand Boba were 7*, but that's the gist of it.

The ships were 4*, level 65 or so. I basically tried every time the challenge came up and waited until the bare minimum.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Tie pilot is definitely valuable. BOBA is a nice addition to unlock tarkin but won't be 5 star ready for the zeta challenge for a while. GS is handy if you lever him up not just the ship. He's slooooowwww...but he has a chance to bonus attack after each of your ships fire.

You're gonna have trouble on the challenge. For tarkin unlock just keep playing until your opponent doesn't send any reinforcements. It's frustrating but eventually you get lucky. ONLY have to beat it once.

For zeta challenge, I would consider fast ships in first so biggs, ashoka, Jc (boost his speed to about 134 I think) and gs for bonus hit oh and tie. Target a Jc ship first and blow him up before he does his attack to shield a friend. Tie will probably swing first or after ashoka so use his regular to target lock. Restart the fight if you don't get him wiped out. Target locking makes biggs the target. When he dies send in sun fac. THE enemy is always going to be buffed from mace so he'll soak up damage. Use ashoka to cleanse the mace taunt...save it for the mace taunts.

It's a frustrating fight but doable...clone Sargeant really is too slow to be much use. Key is you really want the slow guys in reserve to come in and get that attack right away instead of having to wait for turnmeter...good luck.
  • I use 5* sun fac, biggs, wedge, ahsoka, Jedi C, imperial tie, Poe, Geo Soldier All level 70 and 3 stared the ability mat challenge easily

@crazycdog29 what was the starting 5 ships you used to actually 3* the challenge? Since you can't lose a single ship reinforcements are pointless :(
  • JC, ITF, Biggs, Wedge, SF. I think was the starting 5
  • Bobas ability block is also very useful in shutting down the jc.
  • Fedegalante1891
    324 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    So, finally got a 5th ship to 4 stars in order to do the Tarkin challenge required to do the Z mat challenge.

Sun fac 5 star ship lvl 75, g7
    Geo Soldier 5 star ship lvl 75, g7
    Geo spy 5 star ship lvl 65 g6
    Tfp 4 star ship lvl 63 g7
    Fotfp 4 star ship lvl 53 g5

Total squad power just under 60k. Didn't want to invest much in the DS squad, since i run a full republic squad in ship arena. How much more do you guys reckon i need? Cant beat the **** challenge lol, closest i got was two of his ships left.

Dont even want those ships and have no use for some of those toons, but we are forced to farm them ( luck hasnt been good to me and bobbas ship is still on 68, had to farm Spy), so im game, just trying to figure out the bare minimum

• Get those pilots to G8, and bring the last 3 ships up to 68. As far as I remember that's where I was to 3* it but I had slave 1 and scimitar in my line up.
  • WR4TH0R wrote: »
    Get those pilots to G8, and bring the last 3 ships up to 68. As far as I remember that's where I was to 3* it but I had slave 1 and scimitar in my line up.

Yeah that helps, i assume slave would be a good upgrade but his shards disappeared from rotation a few weeks ago

Looks like i will have to gear up those bloody toons haha. Thanks mate
  • GS 5* lv85 g8 ship 5* lv7
    sunfac 6* 85 g8 ship 4* 75
    tfp 4* 85 g7 ship 5* 75
    gspy 4* lv68 g3 ship 4* lv50 and
    fotp 2* g6 lv 69 ship 4* lv50.

Only need 3 decent ships to 1/2 star it which is fine because you only have to beat it once
  • Timmmyh wrote: »
    Only need 3 decent ships to 1/2 star it which is fine because you only have to beat it once
    Eh? You can only sim it when you've 3-starred it. You need to beat it several times (giggity) before getting three stars with only three good ships.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • NicWester wrote: »
    Timmmyh wrote: »
    Eh? You can only sim it when you've 3-starred it. You need to beat it several times (giggity) before getting three stars with only three good ships.
    Nope, only need to beat it once. Hes teferring to Tarking challenge, not Z mat

Btw, still cant beat tarkin challenge with
    5* GS ship, lvl 75. Pilot lvl 80 G9 5 dot mods
    5* Sun fac ship, lvl 75. Pilot lvl 75 G8 5 dot mods
    4* tfp ship, lvl 75. Pilot lvl 80 G8 5 dot mods
    4* geospy ship, lvl 70. Pilot lvl 70 G7
    4* Fotp ship lvl 67. Pilot lvl 50 G6

Tried over 200 times with lots of combinations( falcon first, biggs first, poe first, same for secind target)

Just 8 prints away from bobba, but only see him once every 5-6 days, im sure ill beat it with him.

• Fedegalante1891
    324 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Timmmyh wrote: »
    GS 5* lv85 g8 ship 5* lv7
    sunfac 6* 85 g8 ship 4* 75
    tfp 4* 85 g7 ship 5* 75
    gspy 4* lv68 g3 ship 4* lv50 and
    fotp 2* g6 lv 69 ship 4* lv50.

Well you got lucky as hell cause i cant beat it with a better squad, and i tried every possible combination involving Falcon, Biggs and Poe as first targets at least 20 times each to get good rng. Just not good enough