Should we get a warning about future changes?

Prev1
cosmicturtle333
5004 posts Member
edited January 2016
Edit: this isn't about nerfs, buffs, new characters or new content. This is about a warning of the fact that current content will be changing.
My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
Post edited by cosmicturtle333 on

Should we get a warning about future changes? 113 votes

Yes
80%
KylvenZarAziHyperalloyStekcir_LeinadRolfRomouxeYoYoYoda369QeltarTelaanccfooXyojpiishioniancat21darksideSundodgerPoerliRavaged3gaussxJazzxTavenRendar 91 votes
No
9%
DeathSSlayerRogerfanPindasauskanonl3end3rNargoth33pay2winKAULIMerkur0mLazerriftThewhiteonEOobydoob 11 votes
Other
4%
IM_UR_UPGRADEEM650DanTomJaqen_HgharNitric 5 votes
I don't like your poll, I want another option.
5%
Genakumacosmicturtle333Vampire_XCronozNLDarthNicooahteilrahc 6 votes

Replies

• Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Options
    Yes
    Should we? Yes. Will we? No.

It's an unfortunate reality. The notes for today's update didn't include the keycard change. I think it's asking a lot to get advanced notice when we can't even get accurate notes for a patch being released presently.
  • Options
    Other
    Depends on the change and how breaking it is to strategy.
  • Options
    Yes
    Ain't gonna happen
  • stupidfatfool
    715 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Yes
    lol this reminds me of when we'd prep software releases at a previous company I worked at. We'd sit down together and decide which bug fixes and "enhancements" not to include in the release notes.
  • Reyia
    1171 posts Member
    Options
    Yes
    Yes we should so that we can take proactive steps. For eg those who stockpiled GW tokens could have used them all if they knew, if a hero will get nerfed then farming shards/gear for the latter could be stopped before u invest too much resources.
  • Options
    No
    Future nerfs, yes.

Future buffs/ new characters, no.
  • Options
    No
    No warnings are needed at all... Why?

Because it's a game, a new game at that, there are bound to be problems & glitches... To come on the forums & cry like a baby for changes that effect a few I personally think is trivial. Game balances will ALWAYS change metas & to ask to be 'consulted' with every & any changes is bordering on **** & imho, a waste of time.

EA - "okay guys, we want to nerf x"

Folks - "no, but x works with y"

EA - "okay, we'll nerf y & x then..."

Folks - "but if you nerf x & y, a will be to hard & then bla bla bla"

A viscous cycle begins... To paint another picture... You go to your favourite restaurant, you eat there every day. All of a sudden they change the menu... Are you going to go to the owner & tell them you want the old menu back just because you & a few others aren't happy they took your favourite chicken mayo sandwich off? If so & I was the owner, is tell you to go fly & send you packing... The needs of the many outway the needs of the few... & progression is needed for evolution.
  • Options
    l3end3r wrote: »
    Future nerfs, yes.

Future buffs/ new characters, no.

I don't mean new content, I mean changing current content.
  • cosmicturtle333
    5004 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Because it's a game, a new game at that, there are bound to be problems & glitches... To come on the forums & cry like a baby for changes that effect a few I personally think is trivial. Game balances will ALWAYS change metas & to ask to be 'consulted' with every & any changes is bordering on **** & imho, a waste of time.

A viscous cycle begins... To paint another picture... You go to your favourite restaurant, you eat there every day. All of a sudden they change the menu... Are you going to go to the owner & tell them you want the old menu back just because you & a few others aren't happy they took your favourite chicken mayo sandwich off? If so & I was the owner, is tell you to go fly & send you packing... The needs of the many outway the needs of the few... & progression is needed for evolution.

We're not asking for debate with Devs, we're asking for 24 hours notice so we can subvert some of the damage that may be prevented.

If a waiter knows you like a certain dish and says, "next week we won't be serving that dish anymore, maybe you should order it again one last time before it's too late" you are going to be much less angry than, "your favourite dish is gone, too bad."

It's about customer satisfaction.

We're not asking for everything to go our way, we're asking for 24 hours notice on update notices.
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Yes

Because it's common practice within the gaming industry for the producers/developers to release patch notes prior to the actual patch, often well in advance.

Additionally this is not really their game to do with whatever they please. It is collectively our game; meaning the players and Devs. It is a symbiotic relationship. Does that mean they cater to every whim? Of course not. But it does mean they keep their ear to the ground and take concerns seriously.
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Options
    Yes
    . Game balances will ALWAYS change metas & to ask to be 'consulted' with every & any changes is bordering on **** & imho, a waste of time.
    "Waste of time"? Most succesful companies do it. Blizzard has open public test realms. I don't think Blizzard is " wasting time ".
  • Options
    No

We're not asking for debate with Devs, we're asking for 24 hours notice so we can subvert some of the damage that may be prevented.

If a waiter knows you like a certain dish and says, "next week we won't be serving that dish anymore, maybe you should order it again one last time before it's too late" you are going to be much less angry than, "your favourite dish is gone, too bad."

It's about customer satisfaction.

We're not asking for everything to go our way, we're asking for 24 hours notice on update notices.

I see the point you're trying to make here & I won't say I disagree with what's said but as a business owner myself, if I want to see stats on my products (who's buying what, where, when, why), I do a bit of research by speaking to my customers (in this case the forums) & if I'm not satisfied with my results I hire an independent source to take a non bias approach (I'm assuming EA does the same by hiring an independent company to check stats as well for things they might've missed), this way most angles are covered.

In that same breath, there's only so much you can do in such a short time & while I agree a "preview" is nice, I don't feel it entirely necessary.

But to further your point though, I feel big changes, like the using crystals instead table credits to reset refresh times, this is a big change & should've been relayed to us.
  • ThewhiteonE
    658 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    No
    Telaan wrote: »

Because it's common practice within the gaming industry for the producers/developers to release patch notes prior to the actual patch, often well in advance.

Additionally this is not really their game to do with whatever they please. It is collectively our game; meaning the players and Devs. It is a symbiotic relationship. Does that mean they cater to every whim? Of course not. But it does mean they keep their ear to the ground and take concerns seriously.

To think you own the game or part of it is a false belief, you might've put money towards it but you have no monetary stake here bud, you have your say, hence... Forums.
    Triqui wrote: »
    . Game balances will ALWAYS change metas & to ask to be 'consulted' with every & any changes is bordering on **** & imho, a waste of time.
    "Waste of time"? Most succesful companies do it. Blizzard has open public test realms. I don't think Blizzard is " wasting time ".

Hahaha, you name Blizzard of all companies, EA is a kitty compared to how much money these people have stolen from their customers. Blizzard is a very bad example... They don't listen to the average player, they only listen to "pro's" & see how far that's gotten them, blizzard is going to crash & burn, mark my words... I give them at most 10 years.
  • Options

To think you own the game or part of it is a false belief, you might've put money towards it but you have no monetary stake here bud, you have your say, hence... Forums.

Hahaha, you name Blizzard of all companies, EA is a kitty compared to how much money these people have stolen from their customers. Blizzard is a very bad example... They don't listen to the average player, they only listen to "pro's" & see how far that's gotten them, blizzard is going to crash & burn, mark my words... I give them at most 10 years.

Far from it l, Blizzard had learned their lesson and changed a lot. 10 years from now? That s a long time to wait!
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Options
    Yes

What are you talking about? No one talked about ownership rights of the game. What I mentioned was that 1) advanced notification of upcoming changes is a virtual industry standard at this point and 2) this game, like all online games, are a symbiotic relationship. If there's no players there's no game. If there's no Devs there's no game. The game exists to provide entertainment for players in order to make a profit for the producing company. This is EXACTLY why they typically do listen to player feedback.
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    Options
    Yes

Huh? Blizzard has produced the most successful MMO in history partly due to listening to player feedback. Only listening to the pros? Please go back through the history of WoW and examine how much more friendly it's become to the casual player in both PvE and PvP.

Aside from that, all corporations are greedy and ten years is a long time in the business world.
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Options
    Yes

So you give them 10/years, to add to the already 15 or so they have been the 800lb gorilla in the room, with plenty of games in the top sellers of all time.

Pretty sure the crew of CG will sign for that.
  • Jaqen_Hghar
    491 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Other

For D3 they are. They once had a PTR that lasted 3 months and the major change was "changing the colors of goblins"
  • Options
    Other
    I say other because there are somethings that we shouldnt be given warning for
  • Options
    @CronozNL
    I'm glad someone is on my side.
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Options
    Yes

For D3 they are. They once had a PTR that lasted 3 months and the major change was "changing the colors of goblins"

They are still light years ahead of CG in communication, and revenue. So maybe CG should copy them, and not the other way around. Can't imagine the backlash for blizzard if they decided.to change things out of the blue with 0 notice all the time. Maybe they wouldnt be the company with several best sellers they are.

• CronozNL
    2869 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @cosmicturtle333
    You summoned me? :)
    I agree that the handling is pretty bad and a warning could have been given (eventhough I dont have stacked tokens myself).
    Also think some are turning it into another drama but this poll isn't one of those btw.
    It's not hard to prepare us somewhat for a new expansion/update/change/nerf and eventhough it might backfire prechange, more people will appreciate it over the long run.
    But we can all agree it's mostly the forummembers having a problem with this (stuff like this should be on forum).

So not a straight yes but also not a straight no :D I like the poll though. Just some mixed feelings.
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting
  • ThewhiteonE
    658 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    No
    I'm not going to tag quotes here... But ever wonder why sc2 servers died? Ever wonder why d3 servers are also dying/dead?

WoW as mentioned by a lot of players is getting boring with them not really adding that much new content & the experience "is left stale".

You're definitely right by saying blizzard has made the most successful MMO but as with most companies that make such huge successes, their time in the sun will come to an end... I'm looking at you SuperCell (Co^C)... Greed will be the downfall of all! & lastly, yes, I give em 10 years. & should I also remind all of you'd that if you had a registered email address on a blizzard server, your email was most likely stolen & your account at some point hacked & Blizzard never compensated ANYONE for the miss use of THEIR servers & the loss hundreds of thousands if not millions of players that lost money/accounts due to this.

Then as for you saying @Telaan "it's collectively our game", if this statement doesn't imply ownership, then I mustn't understand my mother tongue that well.

Look, I'm not here to argue, I'm just stating my opinion on this issue.
  • Options
    Yes

Atleast then we will know ahead of time
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Options
    Yes
    Against, you give Blizzard 10 more years. Which means they run would had been a 25 year run. That's quite s lot in software business, and that's counting you are right about the 10 years, which you might not. It seems to be doing OK with hearthstone, Heroes of storm and other games.

How much time do you give CG? Do you think they'd sign to become blizzard for 25 years?

The key point of my argument is that "companies never give prior notice" is a blatant lie. Plenty of them do, and have strong communication with player base and even open plsytests. In fact, a big bunch of them, particularly among the succesful ones, try their best to communicate things. CG themselves acknowledged not far algo that they needed to strenghten that, as some updstes went live without notice (prior or otherwise)
  • Options
    +1 for the devs for Ackbar s skill: "It s a trap". You have been warned.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Options
    Yes
    Should we? Definitely. But concerning the sh*tstorms here after every little change, it is understandable that they don't want to share more than necessary...
  • Options
    Nauros wrote: »
    Should we? Definitely. But concerning the sh*tstorms here after every little change, it is understandable that they don't want to share more than necessary...

I like the words "very little change". Big ones are coming!
  • Options
    Anyway enough of me ranting. I am taking a month off. Good luck fellows. May the patch steer in yyour favour.
  • CronozNL
    2869 posts Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm not going to tag quotes here... But ever wonder why sc2 servers died? Ever wonder why d3 servers are also dying/dead?

WoW as mentioned by a lot of players is getting boring with them not really adding that much new content & the experience "is left stale".

You're definitely right by saying blizzard has made the most successful MMO but as with most companies that make such huge successes, their time in the sun will come to an end... I'm looking at you SuperCell (Co^C)... Greed will be the downfall of all! & lastly, yes, I give em 10 years. & should I also remind all of you'd that if you had a registered email address on a blizzard server, your email was most likely stolen & your account at some point hacked & Blizzard never compensated ANYONE for the miss use of THEIR servers & the loss hundreds of thousands if not millions of players that lost money/accounts due to this.

Then as for you saying @Telaan "it's collectively our game", if this statement doesn't imply ownership, then I mustn't understand my mother tongue that well.

Look, I'm not here to argue, I'm just stating my opinion on this issue.

This is very much true. When i started playing Wow after 2 years break, my account was hacked and I lost all my stuff. This happened 3 months after I quit and I never gave my login to someone else. I got my account back but I was baffled that they tried to blame me when all I did was stop payment. Anyway I like your post, you are right on many points. When Legion launches, the playerbase will go up again.
    Also CO^C and their recent update is a laugh as well. They killed farming but still many (enough) people play.
    439-259-888 I have a bad habit of editing my typo's after posting