Spenders definitions

We love to talk in terms of whales , dolphins, kraken, goldfish etc
We never established guildlines or even what are perceived definition of those.
So I will begin by giving my perception of those definition and will place the appropriate $ spending as I think they are. Please let's hear everyone's opinion and set some clear definitions as a community

In my opinion the terminology should be close to :
Kraken - scary unlimited. Everything maxed as it appears for purchase. All toons get level 85 instantly. All geared in shipments get bought and hoarded.

Whales - spending in the area of 1-2k$ per month. Always have a minimum balance of one vault in the crystal purse. Gets immediately replenished when under 5k crystals. Will buy and hoard raid gear in anticipation of new toons.

Sharks. - 100-500$k a month , will buy new content , will always buy the 99$ packs to get new toons unlocked. Will keep usually some raid gear in inventory to quickly gear up a toon that really needed.

Dolphins - up to 100$ a month. Will buy a vault per month. Will always have a sub. Will judge each pack as it comes to see if it's a worthy spend. Will go over the limit some month if content is really to their liking.

Goldfish. - will have a sub. Will get 20$ worth of crystals here and there when need an important piece of gear.

Feel free to make corrections. Should be a fun discussion

Replies

• Nice breakdown. Agree with this.
  • Agree.
    Also that makes me a goldfish:)
    Brought a vault for one year anniversary to show thanks and just brought crystal sub now. may spend here and there.
  • McBee
    228 posts Member
    I'm a guppy
  • McBee
    228 posts Member
    And any kraken out there feel free to tell us what you do for a living.
  • All terms are loaded. Whale is used to dismiss anyone who spends any amount of money and beats you. Guppy dismisses anyone who spends money and you beat them.

Spend whatever you're comfortable with and can afford and don't worry about any taxonomy...
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • I'm cross between goldfish and dolphin. Speed day $40-80 a month sometimes closer to $40 though. I really got out of of hand in December though. :) lol
  • While I somewhat agree with the definition, since it reflect what I had in mind, do we really need this ?

I mean, as NicWester said, just play the way you want, spend what you think you can reasonably afford if you want to, and that's it.

I'm pretty much a gold fish I guess but still, I couldn't care less about what other people paid. I just enjoy the game and drop occasionnaly a few bucks on it. Probably like Jedigunnie, I'm sometime in between Goldfish and Dolphin. More than $20 but never $100, too much for my butt and I would be uncomfortable spending more than the price of a AAA new game for some reasons.

• Yeah, I got the full edition of Battlefront with all extra's for $65 - a one time cost. One day, in years, like the original halo, I probably won't be able to play it online anymore, but even then I'll have the disc and single player. My thanks to the people who pay for this game but when I compare a sweet console/Pc game to this it can't stand up. I just can't do it. Still, prob going to pull out the CC to get crystals for the Tie fighter pack :-P
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • Austin09370
    850 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    I think there are too many "will" statements that disqualify people from fitting into the categories.

Kraken - I mostly agree with the definition. Attain all content as soon as it's available. No pay range because it depends on the content. There could be months when less then $500 is spent.

Whale - $200 - $500 monthly average with the tenancy to spend larger amounts when new content is released.

Shark - Willing to buy vaults periodically to keep advantages in the game. For example, buying vaults to get the newest or hard to get gear to update their core characters or buying shippacks to get a jump start on ships and unlock the zeta challenge early.

Dolphin - The value shopper. May go long periods without spending money, but if something of good value is available they will likely open their wallet. 125% bonus crystals for example.

Guppy - Willing to spend relative small amounts occasionally. Usually this would be to finish moving up a character to the next * level (Baze or Shoretrooper) or daily login crystal packs.

FTP - You've spent $0 on the game and have no intentions of purchasing crystals via real world cash. Small percentage hold this as a badge of honor and tell as many people that'll listen they don't spend anything! :smile:

Retired Spender - at one point was a spender, now living the FTP lifestyle.

• Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    I think there are too many "will" statements that disqualify people from fitting into the categories.

Kraken - I mostly agree with the definition. Attain all content as soon as it's available. No pay range because it depends on the content. There could be months when less then $500 is spent.

Whale - $200 - $500 monthly average with the tenancy to spend larger amounts when new content is wanted.

Shark - Willing to buy vaults periodically to keep advantages in the game. For example, buying vaults to get the newest or hard to get gear to update their core characters or buying shippacks to get a jump start on ships and unlock the zeta challenge early.

Dolphin - The value shopper. May go long periods without spending money, but if something of good value is available they will likely open their wallet. 125% bonus crystals for example.

Guppy - Willing to spend relative small amounts occasionally. Usually this would be to finish moving up a character to the next * level (Baze or Shoretrooper) or daily login crystal packs.

Plankton - The FTP that hangs out with all the other sealife and wants spend money but can't #studentloans. Usually ends up being (b)eaten by whales.

FTP - You've spent $0 on the game and have no intentions of purchasing crystals via real world cash. Small percentage hold this as a badge of honor and tell as many people that'll listen they don't spend anything! :smile:

Added another
  • I'm in the goldfish range. I have the 21 day subscription and I do buy $19.99 crystal packs when necessary, mainly to keep up my refreshes and also buy a piece of gear.

There have been a few times where I spent $100 in a month, like when ships first came out and I bought some 599 crystal packs for blueprints and I also bought the Executrix bundle (mainly to get the 50 shards of Sun Fac and get blueprints for DS ships).

But for the most part, I have spent on average like $50 a month.
  • @Austin09370
    I like your definitions better than mine.
    I like the retired ones. I think I'm a retired shark
  • As someone who is too cheap to spend any money FTP isn't a badge of honor, it's a lifestyle lol
  • Optimus11 wrote: »
    @Austin09370

This was fun to think about. I'm in the same retired shark boat as well.

Yes @vertigo, Plankton was needed and that fits well!
  • Vertigo wrote: »

Whale - $200 - $500 monthly average with the tenancy to spend larger amounts when new content is wanted.

Plankton - The FTP that hangs out with all the other sealife and wants spend money but can't #studentloans. Usually ends up being (b)eaten by whales.

Added another

You can pretty much say I'm trying to steal the Krabby Patty formula then...
  • I'm retired!

And it feels grrrrrrrrreat!

well... kinda. lol...
  • Supercat
    3250 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Dolphins beat sharks.
    Dolphins should be higher up on the list.

I am a plankton.
    Sometimes I wish I wasn't.
    Don't be a ****(4), and follow forum guidelines.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • McBee wrote: »
    And any kraken out there feel free to tell us what you do for a living.

The sad reality is that many Whales have real life gambling addictions. Many of the guys at the top probably have regular-joe jobs.
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Optimus11 wrote: »
    @Austin09370

This was fun to think about. I'm in the same retired shark boat as well.

Yes @vertigo, Plankton was needed and that fits well!
    @Austin09370 Haha yeah, there needed to be something there to fill the gap, plus that's basically me lol
  • By definition plankton is the same as ftp, just because you want to spend money, the fact you haven't is still ftp. Think plankton should be buys the first cheapest pack only when on offer. (I mean it was $2 guys, come on, give up one beer to support this game. [I said was cause of app store price increases])
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    bluecat wrote: »
    By definition plankton is the same as ftp, just because you want to spend money, the fact you haven't is still ftp. Think plankton should be buys the first cheapest pack only when on offer. (I mean it was $2 guys, come on, give up one beer to support this game. [I said was cause of app store price increases])

The FTP on that list is the FTP that holds it as a badge of honor, the Plankton is the microscopic sea life that doesn't make a difference to anyone looking at the ocean, but also won't say anything to you.
  • I think there are too many "will" statements that disqualify people from fitting into the categories.

Whale - $200 - $500 monthly average with the tenancy to spend larger amounts when new content is released.

These numbers are way off, OP was actually prob pretty close
  • I think there are too many "will" statements that disqualify people from fitting into the categories.

Most of these don't even have numbers, lol. What are you talking about? These are tendencies... Try again.

Most of these don't even have numbers, lol. What are you talking about? These are tendencies... Try again.

Yeah I'm the fool lol, the OP that I was clearly comparing to has numbers. I made no mention of what anyone else wrote.

Yeah I'm the fool lol, the OP that I was clearly comparing to has numbers. I made no mention of what anyone else wrote.

You quoted my post without numbers, lol.

The post you quoted wasn't the OP.... I think thats where you're confused bud.