Stormtrooper hate?

I've been watching videos on YouTube about the viability of Stormtrooper and a lot are dismissing Stormtrooper, saying he's one of the worst in the game. I'm currently farming him but wouldn't he work great with:

Emperor (lead)
Vader
Tie Fighter Pilot
Royal Guard
Stormtrooper

Unless I'm missing something. This is pretty much a strictly Free-To-Play team I have going, although I did recently unlock Shoretrooper, which is semi-free.
CLONE HELMETS!! Now let's get Sabine her epic helmet.

Replies

• His abilities are OK, but he's one of, is not the weakest, tank in the game.
  • But even with an Emperor lead?

I've seen this exact team I'm talking about making reach into the top 10 of arena, that's why I was confused.

Of course this was before Shoretrooper became semi-free to play.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    People like hating on CUP and jedi guardian but at least they have a chance of inflicting some debuffs. Stormtrooper literally does not help your team at all. He has a three turn taunt but his health is so low he wont last a single turn. Defense up is probably the most useless buff and is essentially free offense for the other team if they have QGJ. And his tm reduction is so insignificant and unlikely to be inflicted, it might as well not exist. And his basic attack gets worse as you upgrade it.

But hey, if you dont want decent arena rewards, more power to you. You'll just make it easier for everyone else on your shard.
  • DatBoi wrote: »
    People like hating on CUP and jedi guardian but at least they have a chance of inflicting some debuffs. Stormtrooper literally does not help your team at all. He has a three turn taunt but his health is so low he wont last a single turn. Defense up is probably the most useless buff and is essentially free offense for the other team if they have QGJ. And his tm reduction is so insignificant and unlikely to be inflicted, it might as well not exist. And his basic attack gets worse as you upgrade it.

But hey, if you dont want decent arena rewards, more power to you. You'll just make it easier for everyone else on your shard.

Well, there ya go. Lol! I was just wondering because I saw this team at the top before Shoretrooper arrived. Didn't understand why Stormtrooper got axed so quickly.

But there you have it. Noted. Guess I'll go with Shoretrooper.
  • Stormtrooper is fine for first generation chars. His long farm made it so he was outdated by the time you finished collecting his last shard. He has good Empire synergy but since his speed is rather low he can easily be ability/buff blocked before he can taunt. Otherwise, he has good HP and protection when max/near-max gear lvl and can remove enemy TM when attacked while taunting. The enemy TM removal is what drew me towards this backwards farm a while back and he now waits patiently on the bench for a rework blessing.
  • b808k wrote: »
    Stormtrooper is fine for first generation chars. His long farm made it so he was outdated by the time you finished collecting his last shard. He has good Empire synergy but since his speed is rather low he can easily be ability/buff blocked before he can taunt. Otherwise, he has good HP and protection when max/near-max gear lvl and can remove enemy TM when attacked while taunting. The enemy TM removal is what drew me towards this backwards farm a while back and he now waits patiently on the bench for a rework blessing.

Cool. I'll still farm him then, perhaps get lucky with a slight rework.

I've seen 4-star (or better) Shoretroopers taking his place in the team I described above. Since I have a 4 star Shoretrooper I guess I'll just use him.
  • Rakim
    267 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    Roken_Fett wrote: »
    b808k wrote: »
    Stormtrooper is fine for first generation chars. His long farm made it so he was outdated by the time you finished collecting his last shard. He has good Empire synergy but since his speed is rather low he can easily be ability/buff blocked before he can taunt. Otherwise, he has good HP and protection when max/near-max gear lvl and can remove enemy TM when attacked while taunting. The enemy TM removal is what drew me towards this backwards farm a while back and he now waits patiently on the bench for a rework blessing.

I've seen 4-star (or better) Shoretroopers taking his place in the team I described above. Since I have a 4 star Shoretrooper I guess I'll just use him.

Tank wise Shoretrooper is 100x better. A 4 star Shore at gear 10 has more protection than a maxed out, maxed geared Stormtrooper has health AND protection combined. In fact, Stormtrooper has health/protection more similar to Rey than a tank. In other words, he's kind of worthless as a tank
  • Rakim wrote: »
    b808k wrote: »

Tank wise Shoretrooper is 100x better. A 4 star Shore at gear 10 has more protection than a maxed out, maxed geared Shoretrooper has health AND protection combined. In fact, Stormtrooper has health/protection more similar to Rey than a tank. In other words, he's kind of worthless as a tank

I see. Well then I'll hope for a rework and focus on gearing Shore up to run with this all Empire team.
  • Shoretrooper is a great alternative taunt. He has active taunt (can trigger using special), starts each match taunting (this is the biggest advantage imo), only Empire that can active team heal (second greatest advantage), and gives team crit hit immunity when using special. Only thing I see that would perfect his abilities would be to give self crit hit immunity. His attack is lacking in dmg compared to Stormtrooper, though.
  • b808k wrote: »
    Shoretrooper is a great alternative taunt. He has active taunt (can trigger using special), starts each match taunting (this is the biggest advantage imo), only Empire that can active team heal (second greatest advantage), and gives team crit hit immunity when using special. Only thing I see that would perfect his abilities would be to give self crit hit immunity. His attack is lacking in dmg compared to Stormtrooper, though.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

Maybe I'll experiment with both and see which works out better. I'm assuming Shore since I've been seeing him replace Storm almost unanimously across the board.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited February 2017
    stormtrooper han does almost everything stormtrooper does, only better. I benched my stormtrooper han in favour of shoretrooper.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • leef wrote: »
    stormtrooper han does almost everything stormtrooper does, only better. I benched my stormtrooper han in favour of shoretrooper.

Yeah, I have also seen StHan in the mix, but he doesn't get the bonus from Emperor lead.

So pretty much everyone saying Shore.
  • crzydroid
    7294 posts Moderator
    Shore, or even RG.

I put more resources into him than I wanted to to try and 3* Potency challenges, and he still almost died even though I never taunted with him. The irony is that I could give him defense up, but only by making everyone target him.
  • crzydroid wrote: »
    Shore, or even RG.

I put more resources into him than I wanted to to try and 3* Potency challenges, and he still almost died even though I never taunted with him. The irony is that I could give him defense up, but only by making everyone target him.

Yeah, that's another reason I wanted to farm him, for the Mod Challenge. But Shore will work there as well.
  • Roken_Fett wrote: »
    crzydroid wrote: »
    Shore, or even RG.

Yeah, that's another reason I wanted to farm him, for the Mod Challenge. But Shore will work there as well.

But Shore is a very slow farm to 5* and you need 5* characters for the Mod challenge. I 3* the potency challenge with EP, Vader, RG, magma, and Snowtrooper. (EP was g9, vader was g10, rg, magma and snowtrooper were all g7). I had stormtrooper at 5* g8 but I just couldn't do it with him, snowtrooper at least helps with ability blocks and his unique.
    crzydroid wrote: »
    Shore, or even RG.

Ah, yeah, that's right. Well I do have Snowtrooper at 6 star. Not really geared up, I just kept getting him in free packs.

My Emperor and Vader are 85, 7 star, Gear X. Royal Guard is 85, 7 Star, Gear 9. Still working on TFP and Stormtrooper. But I guess I COULD roll with Snowtrooper since he alreayd has 6 stars.
    leef wrote: »

Yeah, I have also seen StHan in the mix, but he doesn't get the bonus from Emperor lead.

The bonus from the emp lead doesnt really impact Stormtrooper either, as he doesnt inflict debuffs, and the HP boost doesnt overcome his terrible natural HP. It's better to have a good non-empire character under Palpatine than a garbage empire character.

If you're so flush with resources you can dump them into the suck pit that is Stormtrooper in the hopes of him getting a rework, I guess go nuts. But in that same amount of time you could have farmed a decent character instead, like Fett or just use the deathtrooper we were given. Even at 3 stars hes tougher and better than a Stormtrooper.
  • Bossk_Hogg wrote: »
    leef wrote: »

The bonus from the emp lead doesnt really impact Stormtrooper either, as he doesnt inflict debuffs, and the HP boost doesnt overcome his terrible natural HP. It's better to have a good non-empire character under Palpatine than a garbage empire character.

If you're so flush with resources you can dump them into the suck pit that is Stormtrooper in the hopes of him getting a rework, I guess go nuts. But in that same amount of time you could have farmed a decent character instead, like Fett or just use the deathtrooper we were given. Even at 3 stars hes tougher and better than a Stormtrooper.

Yeah, I think I'll just farm him to 7 star (he's already at 6 and a pretty quick farm) and use another Empire character, and hope for a rework. I already have a Level 85, Gear 8, 7 star, Fett. I have most characters, but was trying to have an all Empire team.